mtbr member

Spring Thaw Conditions??

Was wondering what the course conditions are like, if the snow is clear, etc..? Want to do the race with some friends and hoping the 6 hour round trip drive from Bend will be worth it?

Cheers,
    Stu

mtbr member
    Course is clear, four corners is clear, the only snow that might still be there is on the sides of the road on the drive up and that's only because it's in the shade most of the day.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Spring Thaw short course

Apparently Mother nature has shuffled the cards a bit differently this time around. . .

According to the most recent info on their website the entire XC event will be held between the park and 4 corners due to "record mid level snowpack" on the long time trial section above Horn gap.

The pros and experts get to climb to 4 corners twice with the sports and singlespeeders doing it once and then going up as far as toothpick trail the second time.

A bit of calculation shows experts and maybe some pros mixing it up with the quicker sport riders on lap 2 from toothpick down to BTI with a short section of slightly downhill fireroad to sort things out before the lower singletrack sections to the park

Go figure?

Bring your climbing gear and electrolytes, this is gonna be GREAT!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Anyone know what to expect for the DH course?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    May 2007

DH course

Rode it twice yesterday

Sweet shape 4 now but lotsa practice runs happenin today

Nasty stump removed near the bottom!!!!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup
    Rode it twice yesterday

Sweet shape 4 now but lotsa practice runs happenin today

Nasty stump removed near the bottom!!!!
    You're lucky man. I haven't been able to ride for various reasons this year so I'm going to race cold turkey. (Or fat turkey I guess.) Hopefully, I can hook up with Bill (Shuttle guy) for a ride Saturday evening or something.

I laugh when I hear about changes to the course. There was some heated opinions about changing the trail due to "Past course records that need to be held..."
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Leave it all on the trail
    Hey... So I saw someone maybe it was you saying that the downhill was Martys, another trail name, toothpick, catepillar, and catwalk.

I was under the impression it was starting at four corners on catwalk and then finishing on toothpick to Lamb saddle because the race course length is 1.7 and that is dead on for those length of trail correct?

There are no major rock gardens or crazy stunts on the course....is just a wide open speed winding ST ride? That is how I remember it last year when I rode it in the summer

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback78
    Hey... So I saw someone maybe it was you saying that the downhill was Martys, another trail name, toothpick, catepillar, and catwalk.

I was under the impression it was starting at four corners on catwalk and then finishing on toothpick to Lamb saddle because the race course length is 1.7 and that is dead on for those length of trail correct?

There are no major rock gardens or crazy stunts on the course....is just a wide open speed winding ST ride? That is how I remember it last year when I rode it in the summer
    You're thinking of the cross-country on Saturday. It will (probably) go down part of Marty's and then cut over to Catwalk. There's a connector trail off Marty's next to the hip-to-step-down area that leads to the flatter part of Catwalk... Last I heard there was a big tree on the connector that needed removed, but a work party this last Sunday was supposed to hack it out. I was going to go, but I got sick and had to bail on it.

You're right though, the downhill on Sunday is on Catwalk only. There is a small rock garden at the start of the course, followed by a goofy gap jump. After that, it's a fast swoopy pedal fest with a dorky climb at the very end to the finish line. Others will disagree with me on this one, but I find any sort of climbing on a downhill race kind of bizarre. I guess that's how we roll here in A-town.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great race, I just like DH races that actually require a 8-9 inch squishy bike. This course does not; but it still requires lots of skill and it's pretty fast...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    You're thinking of the cross-country on Saturday. It will (probably) go down part of Marty's and then cut over to Catwalk. There's a connector trail off Marty's next to the hip-to-step-down area that leads to the flatter part of Catwalk... Last I heard there was a big tree on the connector that needed removed, but a work party this last Sunday was supposed to hack it out. I was going to go, but I got sick and had to bail on it.

You're right though, the downhill on Sunday is on Catwalk only. There is a small rock garden at the start of the course, followed by a goofy gap jump. After that, it's a fast swoopy pedal fest with a dorky climb at the very end to the finish line. Others will disagree with me on this one, but I find any sort of climbing on a downhill race kind of bizarre. I guess that's how we roll here in A-town.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great race, I just like DH races that actually require a 8-9 inch squishy bike. This course does not; but it still requires lots of skill and it's pretty fast...
    So would you recommend I ride a 33 lb Nomad with 170mm travel Marz 66 or stick with the 7 Point/200mm Travis for this DH course?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    So would you recommend I ride a 33 lb Nomad with 170mm travel Marz 66 or stick with the 7 Point/200mm Travis for this DH course?
    Take your Nomad, hands down. There is a lot of pedaling & sprinting out of switchbacks which the Nomad will be perfect for. Nothing on the course, if memory serves me correct, will require a bigger / longer travel bike, even the double jump in the beginning will be easier on a lighter bike IMO.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Course record was set with a Nomad...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ok, I'll bring the Nomad. I'll figure out tires tomorrow.

Will I need a big ring?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I found a link to a video of the course so I understand what to prepare for now.

http://www.ashlandmountainadventures.com/08thaw.html
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    That was a great race, I managed to improve 24 seconds from my time last year but upgrading a class sorta cancelled that out

Hope everyone else had as good a time as I did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I had fun too, it was a good event. I look forward to riding the course again during the Ashland Super D.

Watching the Pro's race was really helpful. They attacked the technical section to make maximum time while I just rode it.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    That was a great event, our crew had soo much fun, especially Saturday, where we not only did a few prcatice runs, but also rode some really 'secret' trails later in the afternoon! My race run was o.k., blew out the second to last switchy & tossed me off the trail, bummer, I wanted to do better, but still had fun. One of our group, a pro women racer, completely killed it, we did our runs together on Saturday & could tell she was riding really well. She was the only girl to run under 5 minutes & won the race!! $150.00 pay-out, not bad!! Hope everyone else had a smuch fun as we did, weather was awsome, as were the peeps there, will be back again!!

More than somewhat.
    I found a link to a video of the course so I understand what to prepare for now.

http://www.ashlandmountainadventures.com/08thaw.html

That's the DH course? I've seen more technical climbs in XC races...

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    That was a great event, our crew had soo much fun, especially Saturday, where we not only did a few prcatice runs, but also rode some really 'secret' trails later in the afternoon! My race run was o.k., blew out the second to last switchy & tossed me off the trail, bummer, I wanted to do better, but still had fun. One of our group, a pro women racer, completely killed it, we did our runs together on Saturday & could tell she was riding really well. She was the only girl to run under 5 minutes & won the race!! $150.00 pay-out, not bad!! Hope everyone else had a smuch fun as we did, weather was awsome, as were the peeps there, will be back again!!
    I had a great time as well even though I want to crawl in a hole and die after seeing my time... Not riding at all for 6 months really does a guy in. (My practice run in the a.m. was my first ride of the year...) I'm hoping to do the Super D but just for fun at this point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    One of our group, a pro women racer, completely killed it, we did our runs together on Saturday & could tell she was riding really well. She was the only girl to run under 5 minutes & won the race!! $150.00 pay-out, not bad!! Hope everyone else had a smuch fun as we did, weather was awsome, as were the peeps there, will be back again!!
    She deserves to be mentioned by name here, it was ANKA MARTIN who ruled!!!!!!

Awesome organisation and really good vibe all weekend long. But the course was pretty lame for a DH. There is something wrong if people on 4-5" travel bikes win DH races! They should run the race on some of the "secret" trails you mentioned and include the jumps in the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider

Awesome organisation and really good vibe all weekend long. But the course was pretty lame for a DH. There is something wrong if people on 4-5" travel bikes win DH races! They should run the race on some of the "secret" trails you mentioned and include the jumps in the parking lot.
    Nah man, nothing wrong with that Spring Thaw course. There are gnarlier DH races almost every weekend, but downhill is just that, down a hill. This Spring Thaw trail definitely went down a hill. I practiced without a drivetrain all day on Saturday, and had no problems getting runs in. Speeds were close to 40mph- that's always gnarly.

If you don't race much, I can see why you're bummed that the race wasn't on a gnarlier course. But if you do any traveling at all, you'll quickly begin to appreciate a wide variety of race courses. It is what it is, and nobody claimed that the course was going to be gnar bar.

I had a great time, and really enjoyed meeting all the super chill Oregon locals. I'm already *training* for the June super D race!

(*raises beer high and plows down an entire pizza*)

tch
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenweed
    I had a great time, and really enjoyed meeting all the super chill Oregon locals. I'm already *training* for the June super D race!

(*raises beer high and plows down an entire pizza*)
    Well put - I had a blast as well, especially the shuttles on Friday and Saturday. Ashland is a great scene and I'm lucky to get to ride here full time. I'm going to have to expand the race experience and check-out some other courses, but for a first time race I don't think I could have had a better time.

We'll see you back here in June

mtbr member
    haha, it was my first race as well. It's also my first broken bone! I bent the holly hell out of my crank arm during my One practice run and ended up racing on someone else's bike.

I endoed (sp?) on one of the bigger straits soon after the double, don't ask how...

I broke two bones in my left wrist, then finished the race!

left hand, starting to get purple...

right hand, nothing broken... just the size of an inflated Sock'n Bopper glove.

So much for my visor.

**not sure why the pictures won't work. ???
    But I had an awesome time for sure!! Tons of great riders rippn it up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider

Yep, Anka killed it! I agree they could run different DH courses out there for sure, but the Spring Thaw course was super fun & I think everyone had a good time, especially us Bend peeps, as our lower trails are just starting to dry out but the upper goods won't be ready for a couple months

More than somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by whistle tree
    **not sure why the pictures won't work. ???
    But I had an awesome time for sure!! Tons of great riders rippn it up!

I see asterisks. Maybe there is a word in the link that MTBR doesn't like. Try removing the "bad" word and re-uploading.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenweed
    Nah man, nothing wrong with that Spring Thaw course. There are gnarlier DH races almost every weekend, but downhill is just that, down a hill. This Spring Thaw trail definitely went down a hill. I practiced without a drivetrain all day on Saturday, and had no problems getting runs in. Speeds were close to 40mph- that's always gnarly.

If you don't race much, I can see why you're bummed that the race wasn't on a gnarlier course. But if you do any traveling at all, you'll quickly begin to appreciate a wide variety of race courses. It is what it is, and nobody claimed that the course was going to be gnar bar.
    I don't mind courses like that IF there is no better terrain around (cough cough Sea Otter)! But Ashland has it and that is the real bummer! There are so many bad a$$ trails down there that are not "short track Super Ds". Fun race nevertheless.
    And yes, I like the gnarlier tracks like WP and Hood

Members who have read this thread: 0