meatier showers

Sprang Barbie Camp -- Location Change! Contact Sparty

It's time once again y'all,

Time to announce Spring Barbie Camp '08. Now in its 14th year, Barbie Camp AKA "BC" is a semiannual mountain bike mini-fest/campout that takes place in sunny central Oregon each spring and fall. Campers enjoy group mountain bike rides (not races), warm themselves around a big bonfire each evening, socialize like crazy, consume "our favorite beverage," wear silly clothes, tell rude jokes, ride funky bikes and just plain have a great time. Barbie Camp's name comes from the 3 ft. Barbie doll that watches over the festivities -- she's our mascot.

Join us and get in on the drawing to win 6ish months use of the beautiful Barbie Bike, a pink singlespeed originally donated by Vulture Cycles (raffle will be Saturday night; visit camp for details).

Weird bikes or HPVs are welcome. If enough bizarre bikes show up we'll have a kinetic parade &/or fireside crit. Don't roll your eyes, it's happened before at BC. Sidecar drink holders? You betta.

Anyone 18+ years of age who embraces the notion of laughing at themselves and is tolerant of dirty jokes and that kind of stuff is welcome at Barbie Camp. If this sounds like you, then c'mon! Thanks for leaving the kids at home. Really. Nobody under 18 allowed at BC.

Here's the BC dope:
    *SPRING 2008 BARBIE CAMP DATES*: April 4-6
    *THEME THIS SPRING*: Togas. Bring a toga (or a sheet or a bathrobe or whatever) to wear at the Saturday potluck.
    *POTLUCK*: Saturday evening. Bring something to share if you can. But don't stay home if you can't! Potluck is optional. If you don't bring something to share, just bring money to donate. Money always makes everything okay.
    *LOCATION*: About 15 miles NW of Sisters, Oregon (45 mi. N. of Bend). Email me for specific directions to the campsite: daveysprockett at gmail dot com (Put "Barbie Camp" in the subject line lest I delete assuming spam.)
    *VENUE*: Disbursed campsite on the south bank of Lake Creek near Black Butte, Oregon.
    *AMENITIES*: We'll supply a portapotty, firewood and a pop-up shelter or three. Bring everything else you'll need to camp in semi-wilderness, including water, chair, table, etc.
    *DONATIONS*: Gladly accepted. Your ~$10 donation makes it possible for us to provide the portapotty, shelters and firewood. Thank you.
    *P.S.* Sometimes it gets really cold at night. Be prepared.
    *P.P.S.* Disciples of Dirt branding irons will be on hand. Now you can brand that thang.

Direct questions to me. Hope to see ya there,
    Sparty
    AKA Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire

P.S. BC happens in the fall, too. Fall 2008 Barbie Camp dates: Oct. 24-26.

P.P.S. Links to previous BC events:
    Spring '06 BC
    Fall '06 BC
    Spring '07 BC -- Lou's Thread
    Spring '07 BC -- Friday
    Spring '07 BC -- Saturday
    Spring '07 BC -- Sunday
    Fall '07 BC

Last edited by Sparticus; 03-08-2008 at 07:29 PM.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Est. 1971
    Jan 2004

Bc!

Toga...toga...toga....
    -Tim B
    Larry of the Swiss Alps

mtbr member

Barbie Bike meets BigfatEd

Yeah, I made the front page!! I've never made the front page of anything. Thanks sParty. I look forward to showing up with the Barbie Bike in tow. I'm glad to see the campsite is so clear of snow. I'm surprised.

BFE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BIGfatED; 03-24-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added photos

mtbr member
    Groovy, looks like I'm going to have to wiat until Oct. for my journey. Looking forward to seeing pix of the spring gathering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    I'm glad to see the campsite is so clear of snow. I'm surprised.
    BFE

The goddess Barbie smileth down upon her Disciples!

Expert Pushing SSer
    Looking good.

[SIZE="1"]Just gotta make sure Mrs. Meat goes into labor AFTER BC.[/SIZE]
    Tuff Schist

meatier showers

Uh........

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    Looking good.

[SIZE=1]Just gotta make sure Mrs. Meat goes into labor AFTER BC.[/SIZE]
    .......Little Feet!

Good luck with that, dood.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot

[SIZE=1]Just gotta make sure Mrs. Meat goes into labor AFTER BC.[/SIZE]
    Didn't do the math, huh?

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I did a journey over the hill into the valley last weekend. Started seeing snow off the side of the road about 3 miles east of Suttle Lake. There was still a little ice on the lake. I am willing to wager that Peterson Ridge will be open to riding, and perhaps the Suttle tie. The weather is cooling off again this week, so we'll see.

On the west side of Santiam pass, the snow started to taper off about 2 miles above Belknap. The trees look like a tornado ripped through them, lots of smaller dead fall visible from the road.

highly visible
    There's snow 3 miles east of Suttle Lake? Sounds like Site BC could be snowed in again. Especially after this week.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Didn't do the math, huh?

Caz

nah- meatfoot's a geologist- the smallest time period he deals with are eons.

hopefully see y'all in fall!

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    nah- meatfoot's a geologist- the smallest time period he deals with are eons.
    Yeah, days of the week are irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    hopefully see y'all in fall!
    Me too!
    Tuff Schist

meatier showers

Barbie Camp Venue Change

Y'all............................................. ..............

It's Sunday, March 30, 8:30pm as I type this. ImaKlyde & I visited the usual Barbie Campsite today and are sorry to report that there is too much snow there to camp. So we found a new campsite where Barbie and her friends can be happy just 15 miles from the usual campsite.

If you need directions to the new Barbie Campsite, e-me.

Meanwhile, please spread the word to anyone who might be planning to attend Spring Barbie Camp, but might not know about the venue change, that we won't be in Barbie's usual spot. Thanks.

--Sparty
    daveysprockett AT gmail DOT com
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

highly visible
    I plan to be out there Thursday -- possibly before anyone else -- so I really appreciate knowing this and where to go in advance. Thanks for the recon!
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    I plan to be out there Thursday -- possibly before anyone else -- so I really appreciate knowing this and where to go in advance. Thanks for the recon!
    Lee of the Merry Cranksters plans to arrive Wednesday afternoon. Look for his big blue Dodge pickup & toyhauler when you get there on Thursday.

Personally I hope to pull into camp around 1pm on Friday. See you then.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member

Sunday Ride - The Maston

Hey all, looking forward to seeing everyone at the new temporary home for BC this year. 100 lb. Fury and I are planning on rolling in Sat afternoon, camp with you all and we'll lead a ride on Sunday.

We're planning on taking whoever wants to go to our new riding area called The Maston. Its desert riding with juniper trees, lots of single track and views 360 degrees. The riding is pretty mellow few rocks almost no climbing. Cake walk for you hard cores. Should be a good time though, heck its new to you right?!

If you're curious to see where it is or get driving direction ahead of time check the link.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...=UTF8&t=h&z=13

Later,
    Crash

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash
    Hey all, looking forward to seeing everyone at the new temporary home for BC this year. 100 lb. Fury and I are planning on rolling in Sat afternoon, camp with you all and we'll lead a ride on Sunday.

We're planning on taking whoever wants to go to our new riding area called The Maston. Its desert riding with juniper trees, lots of single track and views 360 degrees. The riding is pretty mellow few rocks almost no climbing. Cake walk for you hard cores. Should be a good time though, heck its new to you right?!

If you're curious to see where it is or get driving direction ahead of time check the link.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...=UTF8&t=h&z=13

Later,
    Crash
    This is right next to the Cline Butte downhill trails area. Many of us ride up the access road to the top of the Butte and then down the trail for a few laps. The Matson trails are on the other side of Cline Falls Highway. I rode the Matson trails this weekend. They are twisty and pretty fun but nothing all that great in my opinion. One good thing about Matson is that you can work a lap up to the top of Cline Butte into a Matson loop. Another trail to consider is that it's possible to ride all the way around Cline Butte via sinlge and double track. I didn't realize there is anywhere to camp at Matson, but I would think its possible to poach somewhere.

A trip over to Horse Ridge is well worth it for the day. With a week of drying out the Skull Hollow to Gray Butte loop over at Smith Rock may be good.
    2 wheels == True

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnelson
    With a week of drying out the Skull Hollow to Gray Butte loop over at Smith Rock may be good.
    Unless someone can verify trail conditions by riding it on Friday, I don't want to take any chances. Barbie Camp spring 2007 we tried to ride Skull Hollow, but it began raining during the climb. In 20 minutes, the trails were like wet cement, so we all rode down the road and called it a day.

Several years ago, we did a great ride at Skull Hollow, so I know how great it can be.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

highly visible
    Wow, just looked at the forecast. Starting to look pretty damn spectacular (sunny, low 60s) starting about Wednesday, up into the weekend. Hard to believe after the last couple of weeks.

Making fat cool since '71
    I'm looking forward to Barbie. The location Sparty chose (yes it's sort of a dicktaturship) is a good one. Lots of space and a crick or creeek as some would say. There's plenty of rocks to ride around/over for the crit as well. We'll be over with our shitebox trailer mid-afternoon Friday!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    When is Fall BC?

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow in Dark
    When is Fall BC?
    DOD's unofficial calendar says Oct 24-26

Caz (unofficially)
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late