mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Specialized tries to bully Mountain Cycle and Portland

Specialized has sent a "Cease and dissist" letter to Mountain Cycle in reguards to MC naming it's cyclocross bike the "STUMPTOWN", which has been the nickname for Portland since 1847. Portland is the hotbed of cyclocross racing and the Stumptown is handmade in Portland at the MC factory. Specialized seems to think the name is taken from their "Stumpjumper" line of mountain bikes.

I thought I'd pass along this link to you guys.
    http://bikeportland.org/2006/01/31/s...-on-stumptown/

Cheezy Rider
    So next are they going to go after Gunnar and claim the Rockhound is Rock Hopper ripoff?

What day are we riding?

Email them...

Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Specialized has sent a "Cease and dissist" letter to Mountain Cycle in reguards to MC naming it's cyclocross bike the "STUMPTOWN", which has been the nickname for Portland since 1847. Portland is the hotbed of cyclocross racing and the Stumptown is handmade in Portland at the MC factory. Specialized seems to think the name is taken from their "Stumpjumper" line of mountain bikes.

I just sent Specialized an email...

Tree Hugger

That's wierd. I replied to this thread earlier today, and saw my reply posted, but now it's gone.

Specialized has been suing various companies for patent infringement lately, re: the Brain and the Horst link that they own the patent to.

I think MC should fight this suit. Stumptown pre-dates Specialized by 100 years+, so they seem to have a poor case.
    I think MC should put out a new DJ bike called the Stumptown Jumper as a form of protest.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

a tight kick sound

Nah

They could just name their next bike "Fock-off Specialized!"

B

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    They could just name their next bike "Fock-off Specialized!"

B
    Where the hell have you been lately?
    I was sure you'd be at the ACM2
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

a tight kick sound

Welll...

Believe it or not...I don't have a bike to ride right now

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    That's wierd. I replied to this thread earlier today, and saw my reply posted, but now it's gone.

Specialized has been suing various companies for patent infringement lately, re: the Brain and the Horst link that they own the patent to.

I think MC should fight this suit. Stumptown pre-dates Specialized by 100 years+, so they seem to have a poor case.
    I think MC should put out a new DJ bike called the Stumptown Jumper as a form of protest.
    Here is a good question: how come Specialized hasn't sued Ellsworth due to the fact Ells bikes use a Horst Link?
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

SPECIALIZED IS SICK>>VERY SICK

Portland, OR
    I'm so glad I dont buy Specialized bikes anymore. I hope MC doesnt change it. anymore it seems, that all specialized cares about is being the best, instead of haveing any fun with their company. I guess thats what happens when everyone that works there is like 70+ years old (J/k) but Specialized seems to be full of pompous XC-roadie riders. no offence to those XC riders and stuff, because I partailly am one. its just that it seems that there is no care for the other bikes unless it has S-works written all over it.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Rediculous! I had a San Andreas for years (loved it by the way), and became a big fan of Mtn Cycle. I was considering a SX Trail as my next bike, but not now. I'll never buy another Specialized.
    Will do math for food.

industry employee

They are gone!

Mountain Cycle shut down recently (giving some employees 1 day notice).

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbzone
    Any details? Rumors have been flying for about a week, but I haven't heard any real confirmation yet. Some of the rumors said Kinesis was out of business too, but again no confirmation.

In any (sad) event, the Stumptown is guaranteed to become a collector's item now. Wonder if anyone will try to buy the naming rights from what's left of MC?
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbzone
    REALLY???WHO SAID THAT?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

He will be at Sea Otter this year

The owner will be at Sea Otter. We could create a whole section of boo birds as he passes by on his POS Specialized

Or, maybe he could fall down accidently a few times.

He is a jerk off.

Jaybo

PS too bad about Mountain Cycle if that is true. They have been around for a long time. I never much like their bikes but it would still be too bad.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by VentanaNewbie
    REALLY???WHO SAID THAT?
    Just heard the same thing on thurs. 1 days notice is all they got from what i hear. I think kinesis as a whole is shutting down from the story i got, but it might just be the US operations. Somewhat sad, not to step on any feet, but kinda saw it coming. Maybe i should head overthere and see if They still have any Lathes or mills laying around that they would sell for cheeep. That could be nice. I wonder if anyone will buy up MTN Cycle.....again?
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

High Speed Botanist

That sucks...

Wonder what happens with warranties? Not much I guess. I figure that the bike is built strong so it shouldn't be a problem. I've always liked the Mtn. Cycle frames, too bad they couldn't keep it going. What's the word from the locals, Twisted?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Here is a post made by Rob Lindburg on BikePortland.org...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everybody-
    This is Rob Lindberg, sales/mktg director at MC until yesterday. First off, thanks for your support through these interesting times at Mountain Cycle. It really means a lot to all of us… probably more than you know.
    I wanted to respond to what Jonathan had to say above:
    ________
    I think the most interesting part of this whole thing is how none of the companies involved has respected this community enough to communicate with us directly. I mean here you have arguably the country’s biggest and most active bike community speculating about the facts and trying to understand what’s going on and still there’s no statement from anyone.
    Hello Specialized and Kinesis…we are the people who pay your salaries. We buy your stuff. We are smart people. We are not just “markets” or “customers”. This is where we gather to share ideas. Where are yours? Why don’t you participate on our level instead of hiding behind your office walls? Markets are conversations but so far you haven’t said a word. What are you afraid of?
    Hope to hear from you soon…
    _____
    Jonathan has a good point and I wanted to respond to you all… besides, I’m up late and don’t have work tomorrow… . Definitely respect the cycling community here… I personally have just unplugged from everything for the last few days. This was an unexpected blow to all of us at Mountain Cycle.
    It’s not a good idea for me to get into details right now, but I do want to share some info. Jonathan’s post about this was pretty much spot on. Last Thursday, a few of us were given a one day notice… yeah. One person is staying on to help the inventory situation. Because of some things (can I get any more vague than that?… sorry, hope you understand) with our parent company, they decided to basically shut down current operations asap and talk to possible buyers.
    Specialized honestly did not have a role in this. We had come to a potential agreement that we were going to make official. All was going well with that issue.
    This came as a surprise to all of us. We were turning things around, people were excited about the brand again, we had great plans for the product line, marketing etc etc. We were excited to build MC up into a solid brand here in Portland.
    On a personal note, I came up here from San Luis Obispo, CA 4 years ago when Kinesis purchased the company. I left the company for almost 2 yrs, but came back last summer because of the changes and potential… I was very excited to help build MC into the company it can be. I love Portland and the community… what an awesome place to live and ride. This is truly an incredible city and I’m stoked my MC career took me here. Every employee at Mountain Cycle loves this place and is proud to call STUMPTOWN home. Anyway, not to get all sappy, but you should know the company peeps really dig being a part of this community.
    Sooooo, here we are. There is a lot going on behind the scenes right at this time and I should leave it at that for now.
    Again, thanks tons for all your posts, personal emails, phone calls etc through this… to have the community stand up, get involved and show support like this has been really cool. Until next time-
    Rob

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Here is a good question: how come Specialized hasn't sued Ellsworth due to the fact Ells bikes use a Horst Link?
    Ells like Turner had been paying a licensing fee .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    That really sucks to hear about Mountain Cycle and/or Kinesis shutting down. As a Portland local, it is especially sad.

I wonder if there will be any deals on old inventory they may be getting rid of? Seems kind of weird to be trying to take advantage of a bad situation, but good stuff is good stuff, and they made some good stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey everyone,
    I wasn't allowed to say anything about what was going on with Mountain Cycle. As you have heard, Rob Lindberg and Landon Holt were let go with one day's notice. Cedar Kyes will stay on taking orders untill Friday. I will stay on answering tech questions, assembling frames, and sending out orders for an undetermined length of time and am weighing my options for what I will do next.

Mountain Cycle, as it is currently known will come to an end. Good or bad, what is next for Mountain Cycle has not yet been decided.

I really don't think the situation with Specialized had anything to do with this from what I have heard. I believe this all came from a Taiwanese parent company that is out of touch with what has actually been going on with Mountain Cycle over the last few months and their lack of trust in our future.

OK, the good news.
    Tonight Aaron Lutze debuted his new video release "Match Videozine 8" at his apartment to a packed house of locals. We all had a great time and the new video looks great. First shown was a short video by Patrick LaValley that showcased Portland's best riders, riding spots, and bikes. Rob, Landon, and I had a chance to talk about what all is going on, and what the "higher-ups" have planned.

For deals on Mountain Cycle frames, give Cedar a call before the end of Friday.

Tim Parker
    Mountain Cycle
    Tech, Service, and Warranty

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Hey everyone,
    I wasn't allowed to say anything about what was going on with Mountain Cycle. As you have heard, Rob Lindberg and Landon Holt were let go with one day's notice. Cedar Kyes will stay on taking orders untill Friday. I will stay on answering tech questions, assembling frames, and sending out orders for an undetermined length of time and am weighing my options for what I will do next.

Mountain Cycle, as it is currently known will come to an end. Good or bad, what is next for Mountain Cycle has not yet been decided.

I really don't think the situation with Specialized had anything to do with this from what I have heard. I believe this all came from a Taiwanese parent company that is out of touch with what has actually been going on with Mountain Cycle over the last few months and their lack of trust in our future.

OK, the good news.
    Tonight Aaron Lutze debuted his new video release "Match Videozine 8" at his apartment to a packed house of locals. We all had a great time and the new video looks great. First shown was a short video by Patrick LaValley that showcased Portland's best riders, riding spots, and bikes. Rob, Landon, and I had a chance to talk about what all is going on, and what the "higher-ups" have planned.

For deals on Mountain Cycle frames, give Cedar a call before the end of Friday.

Tim Parker
    Mountain Cycle
    Tech, Service, and Warranty
    Good luck in your next endeavor Tim. Hopefully with your experience, and the myriad of cycling companies in and around PDX, you won't have much trouble taking the next step.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey, that's is a terrible thing to hear. I have used MC products since 1993 begining with a San Andreas 8.5 with an elastomer rear shock (Risse was backordered back then) and still have all 3 framesets and continue to get comments on the bikes. I was just about to call to see how the Sin would work for me, but I guess that is too late. My 2000 Shockwave is ready for an upgrade. It was only until this year the rest of the manufacturers came to where I was thinking to upgrade that bike.

Thanks for all your support and I wish you best of luck in the future.

My handle says it all!
    Last edited by MountainCycler; 03-31-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

Kinesis issues Press Release

Here's a link to the press release...via BikePortland.org

http://www.bikeportland.org/wp-conte...%20RELEASE.pdf