mtbr member
    Feb 2010

southern oregon/i5 corridor best trails?

Will be visiting family this week in Roseburg and want to try some new stuff. Obviously I know about Ashland, but curious about Grants Pass/Cathedral Hills, Merlin area trails (jedi?) or West part of NUT trail outside roseburg. Rogue river area?

Looking for good descents, fast and flowy, dont mind climbing at all but looking for the best DH trails. What's the best spot out of these, and am I missing anything?

Trail Cubist
    North Fork Umpqua Trail? 78 miles of fun. :-)
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    If you want DH you could head north a bit to Crawfish. USFS trail, shuttleable, outside of Dorena.

Haven't been, but have heard about the Mountain of the Rogue trail system outside Grants Pass. BLM land.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Taylor Creek Trail.....that is the "Jedi" trail you are talking about outside of Merlin / Galice. Fairly close to I 5, very worthy ride. I'm not sure if it was influenced by the fires in that area last year, but I think it survived. Nice swimming nearby as well. Gotta climb for this one unless you have a shuttle driver. Easy climb. The descent is flowy. Not steep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I haven't found the western part of the umpqua all that fun for mtb but there are a few sections I haven't ridden yet. If you want to drive a bit the deer leap section is just awesome. Ashland has got to be riding pretty good right now.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bb12creek View Post
    Taylor Creek Trail.....that is the "Jedi" trail you are talking about outside of Merlin / Galice. Fairly close to I 5, very worthy ride. I'm not sure if it was influenced by the fires in that area last year, but I think it survived. Nice swimming nearby as well. Gotta climb for this one unless you have a shuttle driver. Easy climb. The descent is flowy. Not steep.
    How far off 5 (drive time) and is it easy to find? Ill be solo so i was thinking the Mountain of the Rogue trail system and maybe grants pass cathedral stuff, but this looks pretty awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions

mtbr member
    May 2016
    +1 for Mountain of the Rogue. Probably my favorite trail north of Ashland, but go early in the day because it's totally exposed and faces south. Also, for downhill check out Bolt Mountain near Grants Pass. Taylor Creek is quite a ways off I-5, maybe 45 minutes from the Merlin exit.

seedub

N. Umpqua - beware the PO

Rode the Mott to Panther section last weekend, thick carpet of poison oak. Might explain why we only saw one other biker...
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by seedub View Post
    Rode the Mott to Panther section last weekend, thick carpet of poison oak. Might explain why we only saw one other biker...
    good heads up, i will probably shelf that idea and go with MOTR and cathedral hills park. MOTR seems straight forward, any must-ride or must-avoid trails in cathedral hills?

mtbr member
    May 2016

Cathedral Hills

Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    good heads up, i will probably shelf that idea and go with MOTR and cathedral hills park. MOTR seems straight forward, any must-ride or must-avoid trails in cathedral hills?
    Cathedral Hills has a lot of short trails good for quick laps. Bridges, K, L, Zed's are probably the best. Park at Espey Road and ascend via Outback Loop or Outback and Timber Riders to Upper Hogback. Here's a map: http://bikekraft.com/merchant/1226/files/cath_hills.pdf