mtbr member

Southern Oregon bound Mem. day w/e

Hello to who ever is reading this~

Myself- Sconny, and a buddy have decided to get out of our backyard this next w/e and ride something different! We're from Eugene, ride Oakridge weekly, and both Cream Puff vets. Can anyone give us some riding recommendations for this time of year in the Ashland / Siskyou / Applegate area? The longer the ride, the better.
    What about camping?
    We're leaving Eugene on Friday a.m. early, so if anyone is hosting xc rides, let me know. We'd love to join you!

Damien

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Lotsa options

Ashland-trails are great right now due to the rain we've had. Actually allof Southern Oregon is looking good. The decomposed granite needs some moisture from time to time to keep from being like kitty litter over concrete. The camping in Ashland is semi okay at best. Your options are to poach the National Forest above town and have to deal with all the locals bugging you or locating your camp so far from town that it's a giant pain to get anywhere. You can also choose either Jackson Hot Springs at the North Ashland exit which is n't much as far as camping, but has a natural hotsprings and showers, but is pricey. Pretty easy to get to and from all the trails, though. There is another campground out Hwy 66 south of town about five miles. Decent CG, just far from everything. There also is a hostel in town that would be good. Look up the Spring Thaw online and follow the links to lodging.
    Applegate- Loaded with great riding and camping. Get a FS map of the area and the Led map. Stop by Flywheels bike shop in talent for the lowdown on the trails. Ian sells the maps and knows the area awesome. Stein Butte, Collins Mtn (done counter clockwise), and Cook and Green are must do's if you ride down here. Let me know if you have any other questions. I might even get out for a ride Sunday or Monday, so if you want I could show you some stuff you won't find on a map.
    Cheers,
    Thom
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]