Thread: Southern Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Southern Oregon

Hey everyone had kind of a weird post and didn't know where else to put this so here it is. I'm currently in Southern Florida (not happy) and am looking to relocate to the Southern Oregon area(Seems to have everything and more that I could want). Want to be closer to the cost for the warmer weather and less snow fall. I was just wondering what towns offer decent jobs, I don't want to live in a populated area but wouldn't mind driving 30-40 mins to work. Also I obviously want to live somewhere were I have access to some good mountain bike trails. I'm planning a vacation out to Grants Pass to "Get my feet wet" and see what it is like out there. Guess I'm just looking for some opinions on things from people who live out that way. Also when I come out on vacation what are some must see/must do things while I'm out there. Def. want to check out the Rogue river. Well anyways any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you,
    dave

mtbr member
    I live in Grants Pass, and work in Medford. This area is currently at 13.5% unemployment, higher if you count those that are in the chronic category (out of work for 18 months or more). What type of work are you looking for? And do you speak the Mexican dialect of Spanish?

What time of year are you planning to visit? If before the end of September, check out Hellgate Jetboat Excursions. There are several inflatable boat tour companies, and many reputable fishing guides.
    Seen on a bumper sticker
    Fight terrorism. Ride a bike.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Pretty tough job market right now. I'm in the delivery business so I've seen it first hand. Businesses closing, nobody buying ect. What kind of work do you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I live in Grants Pass and work in Grants Pass.

It's a nice little city with lots of neat areas to bike in up in the hills, but the job market is pretty bad.

I know several people out of work or working few hours and they've been looking everywhere, but there's just not a lot of jobs to be found.

Medford's within commuting distance, the job market's better over there, but still not great.

Ed

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    you can always get by and find some kind of job for yourself (supporting a family is a different situation) - I've lived in Ashland since the mid-90s and love it here. Great trails and rivers here in Southern OR and sparsely populated compared to majority of the west coast.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanx for the reply's right now I work for an Electric Utility Company and am going to school part time. I don't want to move till I finish at least my aa which will be by summer time. As for work I would take anything I could find until things got better. . .