Thread: southern oregon

mtbr member
    May 2004

southern oregon

I was wondering if there is good riding other than what is posted on MTBR in the GP-Medford-Ashland area. I am applying for a job in the area (I am a veterinarian) but am afraid of leaving colorado and all the good riding here... and am struggling with the basic question of: would I be happy there? You don't have to give up the goods, just a general consensus on the quality of riding would be sufficient (if you want to give up some goods, that's okay too...)
    -l

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lgoodwin
    I was wondering if there is good riding other than what is posted on MTBR in the GP-Medford-Ashland area. I am applying for a job in the area (I am a veterinarian) but am afraid of leaving colorado and all the good riding here... and am struggling with the basic question of: would I be happy there? You don't have to give up the goods, just a general consensus on the quality of riding would be sufficient (if you want to give up some goods, that's okay too...)
    -l
    I live in Grants Pass, and while I'm not really a hard-core rider, I do get around, and we have some good trails here.

The best, (in my non-expert opinion) is the Powers-to-Glendale bike path, a paved road that goes from Glendale to the ocean, and is riddled with old logging roads on either side that stretch for countless miles into the mountains.

But there's many, many other areas in the local national forest where there are old logging roads to ride on.

In Grants Pass, itself, there is an area called Catherderal Hills which is too gnarly for me, but a lot of local guys like to ride it, it's just a few minutes away...

Ed

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The Rogue Valley has loads of great riding!! I lived the first twenty one years of my life in Medford/Ashland and then relocated to Boulder for five years. I rode every trail I could find on the Front Range, and a lot out on the western slopes. Southern Oregon will not disappoint as far as riding quality goes. If you like "White Ranch" then you'll love the GP area. Medford/Ashland having nothing to compare to the technical riding of Colorado, but the trails are still steep, long, and fun enough to never ever get bored with.
    Good lluck with the job though, even with a good degree the economy in S.O. SUCKS!!!
    PM me if you want real specifics.

mtbr member

Plenty...

Quote Originally Posted by lgoodwin
    -l

of riding throughout the area, I have ridden in the Medford area a bunch over the past 12 years and have yet to hit the same trail more than twice.

Applegate area, just west of town, is littered with trails. Ashland the same way....

Check out http://www.siskiyouvelo.org/ & http://www.somba.org/ for a great local club that really knows the goods.

And all three town you are talking about are within about 30-45 minutes drive from GP-Ashland.
    Last edited by General Coonskins; 02-13-2006 at 01:49 PM.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Cheezy Rider
    I haven't ridden there personally, but a buddy of mine moved to Ashland to work in a shop and he says the riding's great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    I haven't ridden there personally, but a buddy of mine moved to Ashland to work in a shop and he says the riding's great.
    There's one niceUSFS road to Agness that goes above the Wild and Scenic section of the Rogue River, it is really, really scenic.

Ed

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

There's tons of good riding.

The other nice thing is that it's mostly year round. Due to the granitic compsition of the soil, drainage usually isn't an issue. Summertime, the trails get a little loose. Think kitty litter over cement. Most people go up to elevation since it's so easy to do. The valley is at roughly 1500 feet and you can get up 2-4 thousand feet within an easy 15-40 minute drive. Lots of lakes up at that elevation, too. Here's some pics of the riding all within 45 minutes of Medford. Let me know if you want more info.
    The first pic is of Applegate lake and was taken after the Saturday ride during the Club spring campout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by unoveloce; 02-16-2006 at 10:52 PM.
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Another trail in the Applegate area.

Collins Mtn Loop. Sorry about the layout in the posting. It's really two different pic. Still learning the best way to attach pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Cook and Green Pass

This is one of the best. 8 mile, middle ring, single track climb with a sweet return at mach speed through 3 creek crossings, or a super hairy descent back down Horse
    Camp trail past Echo Lake bordering the Red Butte Wilderness.
    Last edited by unoveloce; 02-16-2006 at 10:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Last but not least

The Mistress. Come down, ride, and meet a local who can show the way. None of it's signed or posted and it's allmost impossible to find. It's called The Mistress because it wil take you away from your wife for long chuncks of time and you'll come up with all sorts of justification to go and visit it. "What did you say, honey? We need millk? I'll run right out and get some!" 4 hrs later you come dragging in muddy and bloody, having forgot the milk, and having to invent excuses on the spot

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Oh Yeah!

I almost forgot the top of Stein Bute. There are some great views from up there!