mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and a few in moab
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    and a few in moab
    Nice pics.
    What's up with the crowd in the last shot? Is that how crowded the trails get, or did you get stuck behind a giant tour group?
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We had about 30 in our group but we were so spread out . There's some tech lines with cliff's on the side so people start slowing down. I passed like 20 people in the last 5 miles

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Where was that last spot anyways? I recognized most if not all the others. But, I too was surprised by the crowds. The only place you see that many people is on Porc Rim or Slickrock.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    ...a few...
    WAY nice! I can't believe I've been riding off-road for 22 years yet I've never been to either of these places. Man, your photos make me wanna GO! When's the best time?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Making fat cool since '71

Come on along...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    WAY nice! I can't believe I've been riding off-road for 22 years yet I've never been to either of these places. Man, your photos make me wanna GO! When's the best time?

--Sparty
    Having lived not too far from Mack/Loma (where the "Fruita" trails actually are, mostly) for 13 or so years I would strongly encourage folks that want to rip the trails out there (which truly are some of the best, anywhere) go in October. The crowds are sort of gone (thinner anyway), it's not likely to be hot and it's not likely to be cold or wet. Unlike here where there are some pretty good options to ride when it's wet, you can not, responsibly, ride hardly any "good" trail out there. There's an option in an area locals call the coasters tucked way into the bookcliffs, but you need a guide cuz aint nobody talking.

When I go back (every year or two-ish) I try to go in October. That place (Grand Valley) is crazy busy now as compared to when we moved there in something like '85. Even when I first started cutting my off-road teeth on the trails there in '91 even though the local scene was hopping and healthy hardly anybody had ever heard about GJ/Fruita/Loma/etc. Those were the good ol' days of riding out there. Before idiots and selfish pricks got places like Pollack Canyon shut for making illegal lines or Icarus closed (for lots of reasons, but heavy on the riding it when wet/conditions would keep a prudent man from skidding around all over) and on and on and...

I've promised myself I'll take a nice long vacation some time after this Salem gig ends and I'm seriously considering delaying some gratification and waiting to take a week or two and repeat a large portion of last year's trip back "home" (although all but one of the "crew" has left the valley). I'd show you around, maybe...you'd have to wait for me on the climbs though, and buy me a grinder at Diorio's and...

Sorry for the length (!), it's been a hard morning already.

Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member

The best time was 20 years ago!

No seriously Sparty, I haven't been back there since 1988. Remember when bikes didn't have suspension, except fat tires, like you've gone back to on your Vulture? The crowds were only out then for the Moab Fat Tire Festival, inspiration for the original Oakridge Fat Tire Festival (you're welcome Randy).

There are, (I imagine) still many out of the way places that one can go to that are considerably less crowded. That country is vast with huge panoramas when you roll up over a rim to see red rock andscape spread out as far as the eye can see. We can chat about it over a beer anytime.

Flaps

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

--Sparty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Where was that last spot anyways? I recognized most if not all the others. But, I too was surprised by the crowds. The only place you see that many people is on Porc Rim or Slickrock.

Looks like Porcupine Rim a little ways before you get to the bottom/road.

mtbr member
    Cool Pic's Hack, brings back good memories of riding in those areas
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Great pics of Zippity and P-rim. I second the motion regarding october. We used to do 2 trips to fruita/moab a year and oct-nov are the best in regards to crowds. I camped out at slickrock over thanksgiving weekend one year and we were the only tent in the campground. Hardly saw anybody on P-rim, which is a rarety as you can see from that last pic. It was a little cold, but worth it. The weather can get a bit dicey that late in the year but usually we lucked out. I rode slickrock in a drizzle once...and discovered where the *slick* part of the name comes from.