mtbr member
    Apr 2007

So I'm driving from Atlanta to Bend...

...and have about 2 weeks to burn. I've done some stuff around the deschutes river but think I could branch out with some helpful advice.

I'm bringing my racer x for the bulk of my riding, but ride all types.

Any personal favorites? I'm all ears...

please, just ride
    Perfect bike for around here, unless you are hitting the Lair. As far as rides go,you could get an Adventure map from one of the LBS here or order one online before you get here and just go. Right now the lower stuff is really dusty and loose and the upper stuff is filled with mozzies and snow in places. My best recommendation would be to get in touch with Cog Wild and set up a shuttle to McKenzie River or even one of their local tours. They will get you to the best stuff with the least hassle, and they are very cool people and excellent riders to boot. Have fun!

it means 'no problem'
    As long as you can go at least 6 mph, you'll avoid the mosquitoes, but try to stop and fix a flat or have a snack and YOU will be the snack. Worst bug year many of us can recall. That said, head over to Ochoco's; endure some heat (probably not as bad as Atlanta this time of year) out at Smith Rock / Grey Butte; and definitely do McKenzie or even Umpqua River Trail. Lots of the lower stuff close to Bend is mosquito free but as Seedy says, dusty.

Drive safely!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks guys. Sounds like a few great spots, even with the bugs! I'm sure it will feel like paradise compared to the humidity here in Atlanta. (we also get our fair share of bugs)

I will definitely hook up with Cog Wild for a few shuttles and some local knowledge. Other then that, I'll just be looking for some loop trails and out-and-backs.

ride the moment
    Curious... are you coming all the way to Oregon just to hang out in Bend? You got friends/family there or something? I would personally venture down to Oakridge at least for a few days.

Having grown up in east TN I'll just tell you that its 67 and sunny here, and the trails are premium
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well, the story goes...

I got laid off about three weeks ago. So after a slight freak out, I found something that starts in the middle of August. Now I'm left with a few weeks on my hands....and I have family in Bend.

Free room and board + premimum trails is a tough combo to pass up.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by A Flood99
    Well, the story goes...

I got laid off about three weeks ago. So after a slight freak out, I found something that starts in the middle of August. Now I'm left with a few weeks on my hands....and I have family in Bend.

Word.

The advice to check out Oakridge is wise as well. Heck go to Hood River, too. Why with two weeks, riding every day, you might just be able to ride one quarter of the best Oregon has to offer. Let us know what you find!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

ride the moment
    Well, the story goes...

Right on man. With two weeks you can hit up a lot. You can definitely camp for free in Oakridge.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Made it to Kansas City tonight. I'll probably be there Sunday. Any races going on in the Bend area over the next two weeks?

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I went to ride in Bend this Spring. I only had a weekend, but I had a great time. I went to the WebCyclery, a LBS, and got treated to some of the best customer service that I have received, ANYWHERE. I talked to a couple of the floor staff and told them what type of riding I was looking for. I bought a map and they gave me excellent trail recomendations and directions. They even pointed me toward a less crowded trail head. Hit these guys up, they know there stuff and are great.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Made it to Kansas City tonight. I'll probably be there Sunday. Any races going on in the Bend area over the next two weeks?
    I don't think there are any races. Besides, there's way too much good mountain biking here to be wasting your time racing in circles on a closed course.

mtbr member
    No mountain bike races, but the Cascade Cycling Classic Road Race is this week. Fun to watch, especially the criterium Saturday night in downtown.

mtbr member
    Bend is the most overhyped mtb destination on the planet. Unless you don't know any better!!!!!!!!!!
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE