mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Snow levels? Best high elevation long loop in Bend?

Given the combination of precipitation and pretty low overnight temps today/tomorrow, are we likely to see snow on the higher trails near Bend?

I'm heading to Bend from Seattle this weekend, and hoped to ride North Fork-Metolius-Windigo-Flagline-South Fork loop. But I'm wondering if the ~6900 foot levels on Metolius-Windigo might have snow by Saturday.

Any input on high elevation trail conditions would be appreciated. Also any suggestions on best LONG loop options that take in the higher elevation trails.

I've ridden a ton of Bend's trails, but have never been there in the late summer or early fall when the higher level stuff is clear. So I'm looking for big loops (50 miles is OK) that expose me to quality trails I haven't ridden.

I've ridden all of Phils, Storm King, Tiddly/Funner, DRT, MRT, Farewell to Mrazek, Waldo, Newberry, etc. But I haven't ridden Swede Ridge, North Fork, M-W, etc. Hoping to "complete" my Bend trail bucket list!

Thanks.

Afric Pepperbird
    I think it would be fine by this weekend.

Here is what the snow scene looks like right now on Bachelor. (click on the live cameras)

Friday is to be sunny and 61, and saturday is to be sunny and 67! So that snow should be gone by then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I rode the North Fork-Metolius-Windigo-Flagline-South Fork loop for the first time this past weekend, October 1. It was great. Just cool enough, not too dusty, and a great ride. I think I'm headed back this weekend. That snowcam is crazy. 2" already?!

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Just got into La Grande this afternoon from Steens Mtn. The weather out there i Eastern Oregon was nasty, and snowing at approx. 7000 or so. Got colder as the morning progressed. The storm chased us all the way out here, and we're waiting to see what tomorrows conditions are going to be like before deciding if we head back to Seattle or not. As DirtFarmer said the conditions are supposed to improve, I've been basing my decisions on the weather reports as well, though I don't think it's going to get as warm as they say it will be. Todays temps out here were lower than the forecast had predicted.

Despite that, I say go for it!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

it means 'no problem'
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Given the combination of precipitation and pretty low overnight temps today/tomorrow, are we likely to see snow on the higher trails near Bend?

I'm heading to Bend from Seattle this weekend, and hoped to ride North Fork-Metolius-Windigo-Flagline-South Fork loop. But I'm wondering if the ~6900 foot levels on Metolius-Windigo might have snow by Saturday.

Any input on high elevation trail conditions would be appreciated. Also any suggestions on best LONG loop options that take in the higher elevation trails.

I've ridden a ton of Bend's trails, but have never been there in the late summer or early fall when the higher level stuff is clear. So I'm looking for big loops (50 miles is OK) that expose me to quality trails I haven't ridden.

I've ridden all of Phils, Storm King, Tiddly/Funner, DRT, MRT, Farewell to Mrazek, Waldo, Newberry, etc. But I haven't ridden Swede Ridge, North Fork, M-W, etc. Hoping to "complete" my Bend trail bucket list!

Thanks.
    So, do tell. Where did you ride, and was it snow-free?

Looking at the Mt Bachelor cam again, I expected the snow to melt a tad more than it did.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Still contemplating whether to attempt this today or not.

We rode full McKenzie as a loop on Friday, then did a huge dual loop in Oakridge yesterday (up 1910, down Tire, up FR??? to top of Alpine, down Alpine).

The snow cam does look iffy. The snow level looks like it hovering around 6500 if the parking at that lift is 6300. But this ride has ~6 miles of trail in the 6500-7000 range, so it seems virtually certain that we'd encounter substantial length of snow covered trail. Probably still viable since its not deep.

I'd wait for additional melting, but they expect more precip tomorrow.

Maybe the high country season is over? Been a short one this year.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Still contemplating whether to attempt this today or not.
    Go ride your bike. Have a Plan B to stay under the snow if it's too deep. Prolly won't be. Yes, too short this year.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Rode Mrazek as an out and back yesterday, no snow in Happy Valley. Ran into some guys who came down Flagline, said there was some snow but that it wasn't too bad. MW might be a different story, though. Mrazek was in perfect shape and is one of my favorite rides this time of year, poop eating grin coming down the top sections.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    We saw very little snow up Farewell/Mrazek yesterday. Most of the precip we got last week burned off below 7K feet.

COTA member
    Yesterday did trail drainage work on Big Meadow trail between NF370 and MW and by 1 PM what little snow had just about melted away. There were many hunters out and about. This weeks forecast doesn't look like it will bring any new snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Yesterday did trail drainage work on Big Meadow trail between NF370 and MW and by 1 PM what little snow had just about melted away. There were many hunters out and about. This weeks forecast doesn't look like it will bring any new snow.
    I saw a bunch of hunters last weekend as well. What is in season up there this time of year? Do I need to start sporting blaze orange?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So I made it back and rode the North Fork-Metolius-Windigo-Flagline-South Fork loop on Saturday. Not too bad, but Flagline was icy, muddy, and had some big puddles. Today we were up in the Winoga area, which was perfect. I'm sure Flagline improved.

On Friday we rode from Paulina lake up the closed road to the trail. Bad idea. Socked in with clouds. Snow the whole way. The freshly graded road was like riding in sand, and the trail had 3" of snow. We rode 1 mile, turned around, and headed back to the lot, frozen. It was sunny and warm down low in Bend.

Oh well. We definitely messed up the elevation/snow level/temperature equation that is hard to get right this time of year. BUT, we made it to Silver Moon in time for $5 growlers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Followed Malibu412's advice and just rode the bike. From Skyliner we rode Tumalo-NF-Metolius/Windigo-Flagline-SwedeRidge-Sector16-Whoops-Skyliner. Great loop. Dropping east off the top of Flagline was ridiculous fun.

Like eporter said, parts of Flagline (and also Met-Win) were muddy with some ice and snow, but nothing to really inhibit progress.

I got nothin'
    Hmmm... I wonder how the weather will impact the BBFT route on Saturday. The weather man this morning said that the snow level will be dropping down to 5k feet today.
    I ride at ludicrous speed