Thread: Snow

Look at the time!

Snow

it sucks!

Discuss.

p.s.: Gales Creek / Storey Burn is still unridable in case anyone was wondering....
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

What is to discuss?

Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    it sucks!

Discuss.

p.s.: Gales Creek / Storey Burn is still unridable in case anyone was wondering....
    It sucks for bike riding but is awesome for winter sports and the environment.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    it sucks!

Discuss.

Thanks for the trail report, I was wondering what kind of shape those trails are in now myself, appreciate checking it out and letting us know.

I agree with you on the snow, I am not a big fan of it either since I don't do wintersports anymore, but it does help on keeping the dust down and good for the summer season.

I think the ride zone is up to about 1500' before hitting too much snow on the trail now, even with all this nice weather as of late. The mountains really did get hammered this year, much affecting us year round riders. Check out my pic on my personal profile if you want, this it what happens to mtb riding when the snow prevails.

JG
    Ride On!

meatier showers
    Yo, jgusta, that photo of you is one of my all-time fav-o-rite mountain biking photos. Should be on the cover of some mountain bike magazine fur shur.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The snow line is at about 2k feet around the Eugene area. This winter has been hard on mb riders for sure. This time last year I was riding up to 3800+ft peaks! Alas the low snow has forced me into riding in areas that I normally don't ride. So in a way it's a neat change. Plus if the pack is just right one can get in some way cool snow riding! However I think next winter I will buy myself some snowshoes.

R

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Sections of the Wilson River Trail are very rideable and are mostly dry. You really need to go ride it because it is mostly southerly facing and the sun has melted most of the snow. Friday I rode from Elk Creek to Kings Mtn (max elevation of 1200ft) and the trail only had a couple of small patches of snow. I then rode from Kings Mt. toward Diamond Mill. The trail goes up to almost 1900ft and there was only a few patches of snow in the first two miles. The trail turns northward at the top and the trail was buried in over a foot of snow so I did not decend to Diamond Mill. WRT West out from the Forestry Center is mostly clear of snow too. If you want to be on a trail on the west side of PDX, WRT is the place to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Yo, jgusta, that photo of you is one of my all-time fav-o-rite mountain biking photos. Should be on the cover of some mountain bike magazine fur shur.

--Sparty
    Thanks for the compliment on the photo, but the credit goes to Switchback78 for taking the shot. I was just some model posing for the camera.

It would of been even cooler if a shot like that was taken of the first launch I did, since there was no landing tracks in the snow prior to going off that a few times that day. But on that one I believe I went the farthest, clearing the earlier landings even with smaller XC tires and someone's elses gloves and borrowed FR pack. On one of them though, I did take a shoulder munch/slide out onto rock that resulted in some ongoing shoulder tendonitis that persisted for several months that I kept hammering on. Now I got some shoulder pads/armor to sport in the tech, so no worries and I got to put em to use last weekend on some trees.

Missed out on a good day of riding yesterday due to "daddy day care" with child, but Jay and I got a good, besides beng somewhat short, trail ride in the gorge later today up to Wauna Point and back on Gorge Trail #400 just out of Cascade Locks.

JG
    Ride On!

SNOWRIDER
    I got one thing to say! Snow don't suck!!
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

Toby Wong?

snow good

dawn patrol this morning
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation