Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Smoothest, Fastest trail near PDX?

What gets the vote as the smoothest roller coaster descent within 60-90 minutes of Portland? With the little bit of moisture making trails here perfectly tacky, I'm looking for something where I can just light the afterburner and not have to think about rocks, roots and other shenanigans. I've got some nostalgia for my AZ, CO and UT days. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Timberline to Rhody lets you flat out fly.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Metalheadbikerider

Lower Hide and Seek.

Thread over.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Timberline to Rhody lets you flat out fly.

Have FUN!
    ^This. The Timberline trail is cut but not quite finished yet at the very top, and it was a pretty sandy and blown out when I rode it a month ago, but with some moisture and more riding it should be good to go until the snow hits. Here's a thread about it: Timberline to Town or "Crosstown Trail"
    You can also take the Glade trail down but there's some pretty serious baby heads on that one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    ^This. The Timberline trail is cut but not quite finished yet at the very top, and it was a pretty sandy and blown out when I rode it a month ago, but with some moisture and more riding it should be good to go until the snow hits. Here's a thread about it: Timberline to Town or "Crosstown Trail"
    You can also take the Glade trail down but there's some pretty serious baby heads on that one.
    I watched your Garmin run, would it be correct to assume the prime section was that part you repeated twice? If I didn't have time to run the whole thing from rody is there a way of parking more up towards government camp and getting on the trail at kiwanis camp or glacier view? This trail is new and separate from the Glades trail correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry Medic View Post
    What gets the vote as the smoothest roller coaster descent within 60-90 minutes of Portland? With the little bit of moisture making trails here perfectly tacky, I'm looking for something where I can just light the afterburner and not have to think about rocks, roots and other shenanigans. I've got some nostalgia for my AZ, CO and UT days. Any recommendations?
    Oakridge, OR for some of the smoothest, fastest single trails around (2.5hrs away though) with votes for Alpine trail, Tire Mt., Lawler, Hardesty, Moon Point and Larison Rock (although only a few miles in length, but rips at about 2k descent). All bomber smooth, mostly rock-free great trail descents here.

90-120min from Portland would have to be Dog River descent (7 miles long with just one very brief off camber rock secion and brief rolly climb), or Knebal Springs/8-mile Creek fig-8loop that has two really good bomber single descents as well.

45-60 min away, parts of T-line trail to town and Crosstown/PBT to hwy 26 only (the rest is a mostly a dry, rocky double wide creek bed) as otherw mentioned and perhaps the Story Burn descent (south and north side from top of Storey Burn Rd. in Tillamook NF). And I think Nestor Peak is a ripper, great trail, mostly smooth descent as well that is about 75 min away and can't believe I almost forgot Falls Creek that is about 17 miles of mostly fast, smooth buffed trails as well with some climbing in between, but mostly rolly.

That should about cover it, but there are many other good rides in the general area as well.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Thread over.
    That rips, but at only 1.75 miles in length, may be a bit short for the OP. Trying to think of long, bomber trail descents I think here.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I'll have to agree with jgusta, pretty much what I was going to say.

I'll add...The trails off of Larch Mt Oregon, not sure off hand what the trail numbers are, they are fast and buff, but a little short.

The Ape Canyon trail is very buff and very fast, almost too fast, it's over way to quick.

Capitol Forest has some very buff trail.

It's mostly closed now, but the descent from Bells Mt road north to Reehers Camp on the Gales Creek Trail is good. The south side down from Bells Mt road isn't too bad either. I really miss this trail too.

If you can ever figure out what sections are open or closed due to logging, the Tarbell Trail has some fast buff trail and the section off of Larch Mt is really good too. I think they refer to this as the Cold Creek Trail?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Falls Creek is super fast down low.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Falls Creek is super fast down low.
    Yeah, that lower section has to be one of the buffest sections of trail around.

How about that short ribbon of trail at Syncline above Coyote through the pasture. It's a pretty short straightaway and only a few inches wide, but it's super fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, I love that section leading into the camping area and from there to the TH at Falls Creek. Definitely on rails with that one.

I love Larch Mountain and Sandy, both are my close quick and dirty rides, but they are lacking in that long super constant slide I was looking for.

I think Timberline to Town has some promise, I'll probably try out miles 10-30 from strader's ride in the other topic. I'll let you know how it next time the weather looks manageable. I'll try to knock off a few other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    PCT from Lil' Huckleberry to Panther Creek.Cannot be beat.Yeah...I know it's the preferred cyclists trail.It is so buff you could fly on a big wheel.Falls Creek from the horse camp is all big ring...if you want it!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    LEWIS RIVER TRAIL. 12 miles of smooth, fast, firm, old growth singletrack highway.

WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND:
    • OROR's ALPINE TRAIL: torn up from two MBO's, multiple DH Races, daily OA shuttles, etc. not really buffed out this time of year
    • OREGON LARCH MOUNTAIN: buff? huh? try the exact oppositie, it's literally riding in a rocky stream bed. as tech as it gets.

juan
    Wilson River Trail has some serious smooth and fast roller coasty descents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry Medic View Post
    I watched your Garmin run, would it be correct to assume the prime section was that part you repeated twice? If I didn't have time to run the whole thing from rody is there a way of parking more up towards government camp and getting on the trail at kiwanis camp or glacier view? This trail is new and separate from the Glades trail correct?
    Yeah, the part I did twice is the new section of trail, and at the time I could not ride it all the way to the top. Lot of ways to do this trail, out and back on it's own or with Crosstown+Pioneer Bridle, as a loop riding up Westleg Road (hardly any traffic on this one), or as a shuttle from Timberline to where Pioneer Bridle dumps out on hwy 26.
    Storey Burn trail suggested by jgusta is a good one within a hour of Portland, don't know why I didn't think of that since i ride it every other week.
    Wilson River is a good flowy trail too, but the best section of downhill has been absolutely pulverized by equestrians since it was opened to them this summer. Expect to do some serious climbing on this one too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreadi View Post
    OREGON LARCH MOUNTAIN: buff? huh? try the exact oppositie, it's literally riding in a rocky stream bed. as tech as it gets.
    Trail numbers 441 and 424 off of the summit of Larch Mountain are very buff and fast with 424 being the smoother of the two.

You are referring to trails 444 and 446 that connect 441 and 424 together and I agree with you 100%, they are probably the more technical trails that we have in the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'd vote for Falls Creek and Lewis River. But right now that it's raining, the east Mt Hood trails, 8 mile, Knebal, Surveyors have great smooth trail. I was out there yesterday and it started to rain. By Wednesday the trails should be nicely packed. The best time of year to ride these trails is mid-late October before it starts to snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

Trail numbers 441 and 424 off of the summit of Larch Mountain are very buff and fast with 424 being the smoother of the two.

You are referring to trails 444 and 446 that connect 441 and 424 together and I agree with you 100%, they are probably the more technical trails that we have in the area.
    Yeah, you owe it to yourself to go enjoy 424 especially. It's one of my favorites, but it's best to just ride up and down a couple times and save yourself the lower riverbeds. 441 is also very packed and fast, especially from the big right hairpin to 446, although the traffic there is typically fairly heavy with hikers It was actually when I helping my wife hike-a-bike over a particularly trashed area on the connectors that I thought about the question in the OP. In either regard, they are great trails, but a little too short for what I'm wanting, right when you get into them the fun part is over and you're back to grinding. In CO there were a lot of rides where a long climb paid off with endless miles of flowing downhill.

Lewis river trail sounds good, but clocks in at an 1:45 from my house. How does it stand up to Falls Creek-as I would drive past it to get there?

Thanks for all the responses so far, I'll definitely be out to hit as many of them as I can over the next month or so. Probably try out Timberline tomorrow or wednesday depending on weather outlook. I'll try to throw up a video if I take one.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    PCT from Lil' Huckleberry to Panther Creek.Cannot be beat.Yeah...I know it's the preferred cyclists trail.It is so buff you could fly on a big wheel.Falls Creek from the horse camp is all big ring...if you want it!
    I've backpacked that PCT section 3-4 times with illicit thoughts about a late fall, mid-week ride. I have seen tire tracks on one of trips, so it does happen. That stretch and the "preferred cyclist trail" from Wahtum Lake to Cascade Locks are a couple of sections that need to be legal.

mtbr member
    PCT from Lil' Huckleberry to Panther Creek.Cannot be beat.Yeah...I know it's the preferred cyclists trail.It is so buff you could fly on a big wheel.
    Nice! How about Grassy Knoll trail from Huckleberry Mt at PCT junction down (heading north). I believe this trail is legit since in the GRNF.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreadi View Post
    WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND:
    • OROR's ALPINE TRAIL: torn up from two MBO's, multiple DH Races, daily OA shuttles, etc. not really buffed out this time of year
    • OREGON LARCH MOUNTAIN: buff? huh? try the exact oppositie, it's literally riding in a rocky stream bed. as tech as it gets.
    Well, it's been a bit since the last event on Alpine, 1.5 mos. since the last MBO and only one SD race I know of in early Aug. and Cream-puff of course before that. Be amazed how much a bit of rain will do for a trail like that after it has been dry for awhile. I imagine to be pretty good right now, but I haven't ridden it since last year.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Lewis River for more "rolly/pollie" riding on good single surface with no continuous bomber descents and Falls Creek for some rolly with longer continous descents and less foot traffic at about 35-45min less of a drive to lower TH. Falls Creek hands down for me.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Nice! How about Grassy Knoll trail from Huckleberry Mt at PCT junction down (heading north). I believe this trail is legit since in the GRNF.
    Not legal according to the FS website. Also it would have be done O&B and the O would be a b$&?! climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Not legal according to the FS website. Also it would have be done O&B and the O would be a b$&?! climb.
    That's a stinker! It's amazing how a trail like Dog Mt. in SW WA is technically legal for bikes (even though it is hiker heaven and very steep, wide gravel path half the way). Whereas, something like this in middle of nowhere, not in wilderness and not on PCT is not. Yes, I would just out/back it, I am kind of nutty like that, will do almost anything my bike and legs will take me for a good, bomber descent.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I did the Falls Creek loop last weekend. The climb up to Old Man Pass on the road is long but not very hard and the first third of Falls Creek is a bit of a snooze; however, it livens up quick at the outhouse area on down. Wow, what a descent!!! Fast and flowy.

Dog River is a blast but really duffy right now. Wait until it rains a bit and give it a go...it is a smile fest.

Tough call but the NW has some awesome descents!

mtbr member
    Lookout mtn to 15 mile crossover to 15 mile campground to cedar creek trail is 9+ miles (after fall rain of coarse) is some of the best around. When the cedar creek trail has seen rain with no dust, is just incredible!

On wuss patrol
    Some combos at Post really work for me for smooth and fast with not a lot of technical.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I've backpacked that PCT section 3-4 times with illicit thoughts about a late fall, mid-week ride. I have seen tire tracks on one of trips, so it does happen. That stretch and the "preferred cyclist trail" from Wahtum Lake to Cascade Locks are a couple of sections that need to be legal.
    One of my frustrations with this mess is that when "poaching" this section I ride through 3 clear cuts.Panther to Three Corner Rock is well worth it too.Once you climb up from Crest Horsey Camp and descend it is easy to exceed 30-35mph for longer than most can hold it.The only collisions that I have experienced on this is from laughing so hard that three of us stacked it in the first of two switchbacks.Speed induced laughing...BTW,if Huffman Peak was clear it would be top three easily.My fave would be the one Wyden stole comin' down from the lookout over Serene Lake on Grouse Point/Dry Ridge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I rode alpine/tire/cloverpatch two weekends ago and was surprised at how torn up and loose alpine was. everything else there is pristine, but alpine was just thrashed by comparison. as soon as you take the right turn to tire mtn off alpine there's an instant improvement. OA shuttles multiple vans up alpine every day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you shuttle Alpine you should have to skip the Jedi section.flame on

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My fave would be the one Wyden stole comin' down from the lookout over Serene Lake on Grouse Point/Dry Ridge.
    Best trail ever! I've only done it as an out and back from the bottom. The climb will take you to a very dark place, but the raucous descent through the pine needles up top before taking on the switch backs is rivaled only by the tire mountain descent in my book. Maybe by the time my kids (none yet) are old enough to ride it, there will be some mtb progress on the wilderness act.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    Lookout mtn to 15 mile crossover to 15 mile campground to cedar creek trail is 9+ miles (after fall rain of coarse) is some of the best around. When the cedar creek trail has seen rain with no dust, is just incredible!
    ^ ^ ^
    This is unrivaled. You gotta work for it, but only afterwards. It's kinda like living the hedonist dream, then going to hell.

Singletrack Addict

... and if we just ...

Spent some time in the Waldo Zone last weekend . . . descending the north side of the Twins to Charleton Lake is some kind of something. Just sayin'.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Some combos at Post really work for me for smooth and fast with not a lot of technical.
    Mitchell Ridge descent is SUPER fast but disrupted now that part of it has been closed. I loved that descent...but Post still is awesome. I doubt any rain has pushed up into Post yet.

mtbr member
    Mitchell Ridge descent is SUPER fast but disrupted now that part of it has been closed. I loved that descent...but Post still is awesome. I doubt any rain has pushed up into Post yet.
    No rain made it up there as of yesterday late afternoon and trails were pretty darn dry and loose in sections while I was up there for the Cove demo. Not sure if any rain made it through from last night though? All the folks in HR are beggin' for rain right now belive it or not. I guess it is the only time of the year they want "our" weather. If we could only swap some of our rain from some of "their" trails, then it's a deal. Stinks part of the Mitchell loop is closed and impacted by some logging they are doing in the area. I had to ride the new trail #103 from top of ridge near the closed area and wasn't too thrilled by it or impressed with the trail design at all, that zig zags it way down to middle 7streams. Sad really, cause I am usually always stoked for more trail, to whatever capacity it may be and looks like a lot of work went into to carving this trail in on the hill side, but I just don't get it. If finishing a ride up there off of Mitchell, I am just going to come down "Frankenstein" instead, even though thats bit of a steep, gappy plunge down..."Look out below"...kurrh-PLUNK!!!
    Last edited by jgusta; 09-27-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Best trail ever! I've only done it as an out and back from the bottom. The climb will take you to a very dark place, but the raucous descent through the pine needles up top before taking on the switch backs is rivaled only by the tire mountain descent in my book. Maybe by the time my kids (none yet) are old enough to ride it, there will be some mtb progress on the wilderness act.
    My route was up from Roaring River CG to the drop down to Serene Lake.Around the lake and up to Frazier Turnaround.The descent to the meadow from Frazier is smokin'.From the meadow climb up to the viewpoint overlooking Serene Lake and begin that sweet big ring drive across the ridge.I have done this twice since it was "broken".Once I called the Clackamas Ranger District about blowdown and some trail guy named "Jose" told me to have a great time(I told him I was on a mechanically enhanced chariot).I had a great time...miss that trail more than any "ex".You want technical?You want a long downhill?You want to ride under the big trees and see no one?This was it.Yo Snake,the back side of the twins is magic.Glad you had it recently!BTW...that climb from Roaring River is 6k in 9 miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My route was up from Roaring River CG to the drop down to Serene Lake.Around the lake and up to Frazier Turnaround.The descent to the meadow from Frazier is smokin'.From the meadow climb up to the viewpoint overlooking Serene Lake and begin that sweet big ring drive across the ridge.I have done this twice since it was "broken".Once I called the Clackamas Ranger District about blowdown and some trail guy named "Jose" told me to have a great time(I told him I was on a mechanically enhanced chariot).I had a great time...miss that trail more than any "ex".You want technical?You want a long downhill?You want to ride under the big trees and see no one?This was it.Yo Snake,the back side of the twins is magic.Glad you had it recently!BTW...that climb from Roaring River is 6k in 9 miles.
    So true, our route was the same. The thing is, I'm pretty sure you could still do it up to the serene overlook and back and never see a soul. It's crazy steep with no views, so essentially a hikers nightmare. It's the only trail that has really made me wish for my granny gear back since I went to a single ring. 36t on that hill is not your friend.

mtbr member
    That Dry Ridge/Grouse Vista ride was good, I got the worst case of poison oak the last time riding out there before the area became wilderness. I've done the ride several ways, as an out and back and various loops. It amazed me how many abandoned trails there were out there.

My favorite part was riding through the rhododendron forest on the upper ridge.

I wonder if anybody is still maintaining it after the wilderness designation? Like Thorkild said, it wouldn’t be a scenic hike.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

No rain made it up there as of yesterday late afternoon and trails were pretty darn dry and loose in sections while I was up there for the Cove demo. Not sure if any rain made it through from last night though? All the folks in HR are beggin' for rain right now belive it or not. I guess it is the only time of the year they want "our" weather. If we could only swap some of our rain from some of "their" trails, then it's a deal. Stinks part of the Mitchell loop is closed and impacted by some logging they are doing in the area. I had to ride the new trail #103 from top of ridge near the closed area and wasn't too thrilled by it or impressed with the trail design at all, that zig zags it way down to middle 7streams. Sad really, cause I am usually always stoked for more trail, to whatever capacity it may be and looks like a lot of work went into to carving this trail in on the hill side, but I just don't get it. If finishing a ride up there off of Mitchell, I am just going to come down "Frankenstein" instead, even though thats bit of a steep, gappy plunge down..."Look out below"...kurrh-PLUNK!!!
    HR gets plenty of rain in the winter but gets a ton more sun year round. It is too bad some good riding isn't 20 miles east where the weather dramatically changes. A cool desert ride at Columbia Hills would be awesome.

I'm going to do Hospital or Sandy Ridge tomorrow because Post is a dust bowel. I have ridden that trail off Spaghetti/Mitchell down to Seven Springs and it pretty much sucks. No flow to it all but I do like a new trail. To bad the best part of Mitchell is closed.

Frankenstein is way above my riding ability. Did you like the Cove bikes?

mtbr member
    HR gets plenty of rain in the winter but gets a ton more sun year round. It is too bad some good riding isn't 20 miles east where the weather dramatically changes. A cool desert ride at Columbia Hills would be awesome.

I'm going to do Hospital or Sandy Ridge tomorrow because Post is a dust bowel. I have ridden that trail off Spaghetti/Mitchell down to Seven Springs and it pretty much sucks. No flow to it all but I do like a new trail. To bad the best part of Mitchell is closed.

Frankenstein is way above my riding ability. Did you like the Cove bikes?
    I rode up at the "Hill" today with new fork on board. The trails over there were really dry as well and didn't benefit from the bit of rain either. Nice climb up on my slack machine (did miss the travel adjust some today) with bigger fork while running the head angleset cups (RS Lyrik 170 RC2 DH) that RS just sent to Disco to replace the 2-step that was starting to go to pot on me. A new $1.1k fork, no questions asked, sent to Disco within 1 week and even reimbursed them for installing it. I just had to show up at the shop today to pick it up and go ride. That's some darn good custy care Coming down the "Hill" was nice, but that descent is over pretty darn quick for me. It was nice to be up there riding some of the scenic, smooth trails, but my bike is craving a good romp on Sandy that I am hoping for afterwork manana before dark. Me and my bike both love hitting all the trails up at the Ridge, good times .
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Great deal

I rode up at the "Hill" today with new fork on board. The trails over there were really dry as well and didn't benefit from the bit of rain either. Nice climb up on my slack machine (did miss the travel adjust some today) with bigger fork while running the head angleset cups (RS Lyrik 170 RC2 DH) that RS just sent to Disco to replace the 2-step that was starting to go to pot on me. A new $1.1k fork, no questions asked, sent to Disco within 1 week and even reimbursed them for installing it. I just had to show up at the shop today to pick it up and go ride. That's some darn good custy care Coming down the "Hill" was nice, but that descent is over pretty darn quick for me. It was nice to be up there riding some of the scenic, smooth trails, but my bike is craving a good romp on Sandy that I am hoping for afterwork manana before dark. Me and my bike both love hitting all the trails up at the Ridge, good times .
    Cool! Have fun on Sandy Ridge. A 170 with no travel adjust must make that bike climb like a logging truck.

I have really been enjoying Falls Creek! I can do the whole think in roughly 3 hours and the last 2/3 of it is just fun. The spin up the road is just a nice little, but not too hard warm up. I would go up the trail but I worry about eating a bike coming down

Knee must be coming along well.

By the way, if anyone wants fast and smooth singletrack wait until it rains and get up and do Dog River! So fun...

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Dog River on the east side of Mt. Hood is one of the best "smooth roller coaster" descents around.

mtbr member
    Blackrock, Bonzai trail. Fast, buff and some nice features (that can be avoided).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousTrail View Post
    Dog River on the east side of Mt. Hood is one of the best "smooth roller coaster" descents around.
    Really? Maybe I'm on the wrong trail but all the switchbacks totally ruin the flow for me unless I'm thinking of another trail. My buds love it but I'd way rather be on the Super D course at Post or Timberline to Rhody any day, even Falls Creek!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    within an hour of PDX and nobody mentions nestor peak?

Smooth, fast and shuttleable.

Nestor Peak/Buck Creek | The Gorge is my Gym
    Cleverly disguised as an adult

mtbr member
    Really? Maybe I'm on the wrong trail but all the switchbacks totally ruin the flow for me unless I'm thinking of another trail. My buds love it but I'd way rather be on the Super D course at Post or Timberline to Rhody any day, even Falls Creek!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Not trying to be argumentative, but I kind of feel that Falls Creek is a bit lacking in flow. All of the road and double track kills it for me. The ST sections that are going down hill are great though.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmonkeyboy View Post
    within an hour of PDX and nobody mentions nestor peak?

Smooth, fast and shuttleable.

Nestor Peak/Buck Creek | The Gorge is my Gym
    Scroll up to jgusta's first post in this thread, he mentions Nestor Peak...And yeah, it's a good flowy trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    "Not trying to be argumentative, but I kind of feel that Falls Creek is a bit lacking in flow. All of the road and double track kills it for me. The ST sections that are going down hill are great though."

Let's argue! Ha...kiddin',but from the Horsey camp it's all big ring.Two of the dbl. track sections are screamers.Have you been down Terminator/Snowfoot lately?It was great last Saturday.Not as much fun as McClellan Meadows,but a nice change with great views of St.Helens.

mtbr member
    Let's argue! Ha...kiddin',but from the Horsey camp it's all big ring.Two of the dbl. track sections are screamers.Have you been down Terminator/Snowfoot lately?It was great last Saturday.Not as much fun as McClellan Meadows,but a nice change with great views of St.Helens.
    These are off of the Falls Creek Trail right? I typically haven't strayed far off of the main Falls Creek run.

What I have done the last couple times I have ridden Falls Creek is ride it with a Lewis River ride. We drop a car off at the lower Falls Creek TH and then drive over to Lewis River via Old Man Pass, ride Lewis River as an out and back then on the way back over Old Man Pass, ride Falls Creek from the upper TH, then retrieve the car at the upper Falls Creek TH. Makes for a nice long day, and very painful on a rigid SS.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Naaaa, there aren't too too many switchbacks on Dog River. I did an out and back yesterday for the first time in a while. CLimbed up all the way to intersection with Surveyor's. It's about a 6 miles down (well mostly down). The reason I say it is "roller coastery" is that its so hard packed, all you hear are your tires trading to the hard dirt. The switchbacks aren't nearly as bad as say Gumjuac.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Not trying to be argumentative, but I kind of feel that Falls Creek is a bit lacking in flow. All of the road and double track kills it for me. The ST sections that are going down hill are great though.
    I would have to agree with you as well. Falls Cr. is a good ride in total cause it is in a cool area of the forest and trails are mostly in great shape, but I feel all the doubletrack/FR sections kills the flow of ride as a whole as well. The descending section from horse camp down to first doubletrack and the last few miles of trail rips of course. Everything else is kinda meh' trail and road riding.

OT...Sandy was the business tonight. Got it just before dark from 5:30-7pm right afterwork and was able to hit 338 jump/QPF/338/HnS/Little Monkey. My new non-adjustable, 170mm fork made the climb a little harder, but gobbled the trail up big time coming down. I've been riding the trails up there for almost 2yrs now, and today I think I rode it the fastest that ever have. Sorry for de-rail, just stoked on the ride tonight and thought I would share. Should be a good weekend for riding!
    Ride On!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast