mtbr member
    Jun 2009

A small change at the bottom of Falls Creek

At the bottom, when you cross the creek on the bridge the trail goes left out to the new parking lot / trailhead. The old route to the right is not blocked until you get out to the old parking lot (which is now decommissioned and full of down trees and root wads.)

Cross the bridge, go left.

Oh and it's wide open up there. Have fun

ronbo613
    Quote Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
    At the bottom, when you cross the creek on the bridge the trail goes left out to the new parking lot / trailhead. The old route to the right is not blocked until you get out to the old parking lot (which is now decommissioned and full of down trees and root wads.)

Cross the bridge, go left.

Oh and it's wide open up there. Have fun
    Been like that for six months, but thanks for the info.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    Grumpy old fart.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    Actually, it's been like this since mid summer or so last year.

I wonder how much it cost to decommission the road? Seems like a huge waste of money to me.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

ronbo613
    Grumpy old fart.
    It's on my business card

Actually, it's been like this since mid summer or so last year.

I wonder how much it cost to decommission the road? Seems like a huge waste of money to me.
    We were there early this year, so I'm only speaking from direct experience.
    Why the change? I heard that people taking a dump near the old parking lot near the creek, since there were no facilities, was polluting the water, but I'm just a grumpy old fart(see above). In my own defense, you might notice a nice toilet in the new parking lot...
    I will also say that they did a heck of a job making the old road impassable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Waste of $$$. Hunting camps up the trail are a far bigger issue in regards to waste and garbage! If the decommissioning occurred six months ago they were working in snow. Why can't this amount of FS effort be applied to maintaining existing trails? That parking lot is like the Clackamas Town Center(too big). Maybe they will contract a food cart during the busy season. At least the swimming hole is still accessible. That new toilet will not be pristine for long... I was far grumpier when I was younger, btw.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    I spoke with a FS rep shortly after this happened & a big part of it was to keep motorized vehicles out of Falls Creek. The road they decommissioned provided access directly to the creek & some people felt they had the right to drive through a relatively shallow section that could be forded by 4WDs & quads. Typical case of a few bad apples screwing it up for everybody.

IMO, the new section of trail is fun. The only downside is it's a longer drive/ride on the gravel road to do the shuttle.

FWIW, a few of us rode it a couple months ago & changed clothes in the outhouse, which was in good shape, but don't let that stop you from being grumpy. : )