Skyline Forest (bend)

Printable View

• 11-30-2012
    sketchbook
    Skyline Forest (bend)
    Not sure how many people read this article in the Bend paper a few weeks back.

Was super excited when I read this. Can't find much online about the trails at all.

I looked up the section of forest on google maps and it appears that Mrazek actually cuts through it currently? (Edit - just checked an Old GPS track, and Mrazek literally skims the bottom border in a couple sections, but never enters Skyline.

Anyhow, I made my way out into the forest today by car, and eventually came across a few fresh moto tracks. I parked and took off following one of the trails, and it was actually really nice singletrack. Looked to me like someone just rode down the trail on a motorbike, but it didn't appear as a typical moto track. However there were quite a few fairly straight sections of trail. So possibly always a moto track. Don't really know.

Anyhow, I had a ball. Went about 5 miles and then had to turn around due to the sun going down. Wished I would have had longer. Here is a GPS of my ride.

Came across a small seasonal creek next to what looked like a place that people like to camp. Also came across a little group of hand made benches in a semi circle. Middle of nowhere.

Here's a few photos from the short ride.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6718859/skyline_01.JPG
  • 11-30-2012
    sketchbook
    Haha. Just looked up the chainbreaker course in google earth and apparently I just rode a section of it today. :)
  • 11-30-2012
    shugarbear
    where did you start exactly?
  • 12-01-2012
    hawkview1
    Skyline Forest Ride
    Have riden out there a hand full of times. First time out was on a guided trip with Deschutes Land Trust this summer. There is a great 12 mile loop with a mix of flowy singletrack, technical and elevation gain. I would have never found the starting point or the loop with out a guide...excellent place to ride! This link says walking trip, it was actually a MTB ride. Skyline Forest/Bull Springs - Walking trip | EveryTrail
  • 12-01-2012
    sketchbook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    where did you start exactly?

check out my GPS of my ride. I parked on Couch Rd.
  • 12-01-2012
    sketchbook
    Thanks for the GPS hawkeye!

Yeah looks like I rode of part of that loop. Really cool.