mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ski Resorts to Open for the Summer?

According to this article on OPB.org, it looks like Obama just signed a bill that allows for year-round activities, including mountain biking, at ski resorts on public lands.

What will this mean for the Timberline project and other ski resorts here in Oregon that are looking to make money in the summer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    WOW! This is awesome news! I imagine this should definitely help Timberline move forward without having to prove themselves as much. Curious to hear what they say about it.

mtbr member
    I may be wrong, but I think this only changes the fact that Ski Resorts can now have summer operations, they will still have to jump through all of the enviromental hoops.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think this only changes the fact that Ski Resorts can now have summer operations, they will still have to jump through all of the enviromental hoops.
    Pretty much right on (FS Press Release):

"The new legislation amends the National Forest Ski Area Permit Act of 1986, which allowed only nordic and alpine skiing. Under the new legislation, other snow sports may be permitted on National Forest System lands, as well as year-round activities. Potential permitted activities may include zip lines, mountain bike terrain parks and trails, Frisbee golf courses, and ropes courses."

and

"Protecting natural resources will remain a priority and year-long facilities will be subject to the same review and approval processes as those for ski facilities such as the construction of ski lifts and ski trails."
    dig...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not sure what changed then. Weren't they already able to do that if they went through all the right permitting? Oh, well, hopefully it's one less hurdle out of many for future bike parks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Not sure what changed then. Weren't they already able to do that if they went through all the right permitting? Oh, well, hopefully it's one less hurdle out of many for future bike parks.
    I believe it gives the individual National Forest the ability to make the desicion to allow summer operations rather than the mucky mucks in Washington DC.

So, I don't think this will have much, if any, effect on Timberline.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 11-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

highly visible
    A little confused, since some areas already have some of this stuff. The article says that among other areas, Ski Bowl will "now" be eligible for summer recreational activities. Last I checked, they already have lift-served mountain biking and an alpine slide in the summer.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    The more red tape Oregon bikers have to cut through the more money will be leaving our state to ride lift access elsewhere. I'm sure Stevens Pass is ready to take our money next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'd have to agree, I can't image this will change anything. All the big DH resorts in Colorado are on public land.

mtbr member
    It has Obama's blessing which means all the liberal Forest managers line up just to show there devotion.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly