Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30

    Sisters Stampede XC Bike Advice

    I'll be in Bend this week and I'm planning to do the race on Sunday. Based on Strava data from last years, I saw that the race has a very high average speed and not a lot of climbing.

    I was planning to bring my Cannondale Scalpel 650b (full suspension) instead for my F29 (hardtail). My F29 is usually the faster bike but in this case, I'm thinking it won't make a big difference and maybe even the full suspension could help keeping the speed up on the way back.

    Do you guys have an opinion?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    17
    I"ve raced the past 2 years on my 29er SS and felt it was the perfect bike for that course. I've also ridden with my FS for fun and it was overkill.

    I think tire choice has a far bigger effect on speed and efficiency on that course - i.e. go with something that rolls very fast with low knobs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    17
    Sorry, meant to say 29er SS HT.

    Quote Originally Posted by aleeann View Post
    I"ve raced the past 2 years on my 29er SS and felt it was the perfect bike for that course. I've also ridden with my FS for fun and it was overkill.

    I think tire choice has a far bigger effect on speed and efficiency on that course - i.e. go with something that rolls very fast with low knobs.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    996
    Run the HT. You do not need the full squish on this course.
    Last edited by poppa#1; 05-20-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: oops
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30
    Ok thanks for the advice. I have the new Schwalbe Thunder Burt on my F29. They roll pretty fast.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,446
    HT. Amazingly fast trails. Many of them are closer to a "sidewalk through the forest" than narrow single track.

    Some short-ish rock sections, though. Not a completely free ride for the HT!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  7. #7
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,586
    Ride the bike you enjoy the most.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Ride the bike you enjoy the most.
    So, the tandem, then? With the wife?

    What will USA Cycling have to say about this?!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  9. #9
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,586
    Yaw, a tandem would not be a good choice. If you like riding with tandem with the wife the most I would avoid Sister's Stampede. I bet they would let you ride with your wife. Wow, that is sweet. I bet you are a hit with the wife!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Yaw, a tandem would not be a good choice. If you like riding with tandem with the wife the most I would avoid Sister's Stampede.
    Jaybo, I'm curious why you say to avoid the Stampede on tandem?

    The wife and I have ridden all the trails they are using on that course on tandem (not during the race) and the PRT system is super fun on tandem.

    We rode the PRT-East to PRT-West loop again on tandem a couple weeks ago, and cleaned everything on both except for one short rock garden on PRT-West down in the flat section below the ridge. That 1 spot has an easily negotiable route that a single bike can slot through, but its far too tight of a turning radius for a tandem. The only other option is to go straight over the larger rocks which are far too high to avoid bottoming out on the timing chain or boom tube.

    For whatever reason, I have always ridden the PRT loop the opposite direction than the race course uses, and I can see some of the rock gardens on PRT-west (up on the ridge) being a bit more challenging in that direction since they are more up than down and you don't have gravity to help you through. I think they would still be doable on tandem, though it would be SLOW. Everything on PRT-East is pretty straightforward regardless of direction.

    Those trails are super fast and swoopy with not a lot of steep climbing, and the rock gardens are a lot of fun on tandem. Last time we rode it we were chatting about wanting to ride PRT-West in the opposite direction, so we'll give that a whirl next time.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    139
    That's the beauty of it being an OBRA sanctioned race. USA Cycling can't say jack about it! :-)

    Of course, they aren't offering a tandem category, so you'd still have to ask OBRA and the race promoter whether they would let you jump in another category.

  12. #12
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,586

    I don't know

    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Jaybo, I'm curious why you say to avoid the Stampede on tandem?

    The wife and I have ridden all the trails they are using on that course on tandem (not during the race) and the PRT system is super fun on tandem.

    We rode the PRT-East to PRT-West loop again on tandem a couple weeks ago, and cleaned everything on both except for one short rock garden on PRT-West down in the flat section below the ridge. That 1 spot has an easily negotiable route that a single bike can slot through, but its far too tight of a turning radius for a tandem. The only other option is to go straight over the larger rocks which are far too high to avoid bottoming out on the timing chain or boom tube.

    For whatever reason, I have always ridden the PRT loop the opposite direction than the race course uses, and I can see some of the rock gardens on PRT-west (up on the ridge) being a bit more challenging in that direction since they are more up than down and you don't have gravity to help you through. I think they would still be doable on tandem, though it would be SLOW. Everything on PRT-East is pretty straightforward regardless of direction.

    Those trails are super fast and swoopy with not a lot of steep climbing, and the rock gardens are a lot of fun on tandem. Last time we rode it we were chatting about wanting to ride PRT-West in the opposite direction, so we'll give that a whirl next time.

    Sister's Stampede on a tandem would be great. I was a bit tongue in cheek. I think someone did the High Cascade 100 on a tandem last year.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    79
    I didn't see any tandems this year but there were at least two last year and at least two the year before.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 11:07 AM
  3. Single Track Stampede II
    By Scotto in forum New York
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 08:47 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 12:48 AM
  5. Mooseberry Stampede new website
    By trailrun in forum Alaska
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 03:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •