mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Sisters/Bend in December

Hi ... I've been thinking about renting a place for the week after Christmas, in the Bend/Sisters area. I realize weather is hugely variable, but I've only been there in summer and wonder if it's worth bringing my bike, or will all trails be snow-covered by then?

-dman

mtbr member
    Expect lots of snow. Anything over 3500' will be under or not rideable. I suggest skis.

-B
    I'm insane

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianN
    Expect lots of snow. Anything over 3500' will be under or not rideable. I suggest skis.

-B

What he said.

it means 'no problem'
    unless you like high desert single track east of town.

"It ain't about the weather, It's about the clothing."

Snowboards are handy, too.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Formerly of Kent
    I've never been east of town while in Bend.

What are the names of the trails out there? I've heard of Horse Ridge, but that's the only one I know of.

Syncline is going to get pretty boring after a while this winter...

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    I've never been east of town while in Bend.

What are the names of the trails out there? I've heard of Horse Ridge, but that's the only one I know of.

Syncline is going to get pretty boring after a while this winter...
    There's also Horse Butte off of China Hat Rd., but I would much rather just head up to Mt. Bachelor and take part in a winter sport.

Afric Pepperbird
    I'd also suggest, bring your road bike! Road biking is great in this area, and the roads should be fine, barring a major "snow event".

Here are are couple of nice rides I love in the winter months. Here, and here

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OK, let me start over. I'm coming up to the Bend area for the skiing .. will bring XC and rent downhill. But Sisters is at 3100 feet, and I'm trying to understand if it's likely to be rideable, even just at town level. Or are conditions variable enough that I should just check a webcam before I head up there?

-dman

it means 'no problem'
    It isn't so much about the elevation (that's part of it, for sure) but also about the rain shadow effect and proximity to mountains. Sisters can get more snow than Bend because it's closer to the mountains, even tho it's lower.

That's why the desert areas east of town (Horse Ridge, Horse Butte, Smith Rock S.P., Maston, etc) tend to be drier and therefore better for winter biking. I've never biked around Sisters in the winter, tho' so I could talking out my A$$ (mostly I do.)

Yes, check the webcam.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1
    OK, let me start over. I'm coming up to the Bend area for the skiing .. will bring XC and rent downhill. But Sisters is at 3100 feet, and I'm trying to understand if it's likely to be rideable, even just at town level. Or are conditions variable enough that I should just check a webcam before I head up there?

-dman
    To me, hauling a bike wouldn't be worth the hassle since the winter riding is marginal at best. If you're only here one week, and are taking a day off of the skis, how about hanging out and spending some money at some of our fine restaurants, cafes, and stores instead of cramming a bike ride into the visit? There's a lot to enjoy here that doesn't involve getting sweaty!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sans, that's a yes and no. Much of the time, Sisters gets less snow, but when it does snow there, it is more quantity.

Every year is different, but generally speaking the serious snow storms that affect all elevations start to arrive around Christmas, and we usually have had something during that break that leaves 1-2 feet on the ground (and lingers for another week).
    If you arrive, and the conditions are too promising to ignore, I'll let you borrow a bike (probably won't be anything fancy, but the trails that are open in the winter time are best thought of as training/exercise locations that don't require much more than 10 inches of travel at each end).

No need to burn the extra dinosaur blood due to an odd object on top of your rig.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Heck yeah, bring a bike. If he snow hasn't come yet the river trail, Shevlin park area could be great. Smith Rock and Horse Ridge are better bets.

Check the weather just before you come though....a wide range of possibilities exists.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'd avoid Shevlin. By then it will probably be muddy, and the sun won't dry it out until spring. The tracks left behind sometimes last through the summer.

If the wind hasn't torn up the trees too much, the lower McKenzie river trail can also be an option.

newfydog
    May 2009
    The mud comes in the spring, when the surface thaws and the ground is frozen underneath. I have yet to see that at Christmas.