Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Silver Falls Mtb route?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Brandon 
#1 ·
Anyone have a suggestion on what a good loop is for the Silver Falls trails or a map? I've done a ride up there twice but it's been a few years. I have to be up there for work on Thursday and thought I would bring my MTB to get a ride in in the afternoon.

Thanks, Richard

#2 ·
General Coonskins said:
Anyone have a suggestion on what a good loop is for the Silver Falls trails or a map? I've done a ride up there twice but it's been a few years. I have to be up there for work on Thursday and thought I would bring my MTB to get a ride in in the afternoon.

Thanks, Richard
The perimeter loop is fun. I think it is in the neighborhood of 20 miles or so. It is pretty self explanatory, with the signage and whatnot. Park at the South Falls parking lot, and go across the highway to towards the Conference Center. You finish on a MUT, so watch the peds with animals on leashes. I have not done the whole thing on an SS, but you most certainly will not have an issue. Enjoy!

Also check in with The Merry Cranksters board. They are a helpful lot. :)

#3 ·
GC,

Adjacent to the south, Santiam State Forest (SSF), might be a better bet. Adventure Maps just put out a new Mt. Hood & NW Oregon trail map and it has both SSF as well as Silver Falls S.P. (SFSP). I rode the listed SSF loop two weeks ago and it was pretty nice - FR climb up to the border of SSF and SFSP where I rode a bit on the Buck Mountain Loop and then back to SSF trails for a single track decent back to the car. You could extend your riding into SFSP for some significant miles. SFSP sees quite a bit of horse traffic so some of the trails are wide and chewed up, not ideal hardpack single track.

You can access SSF off Fern Ridge Rd. via Rt. 22 from Salem. Until I picked up this new map, I didn't even know about SSF.

T-Rex

#4 ·
T-Rex,

Is that the Shelburg network? That is also nice. I find it to be a bit more dificult to navigate, unless you have a leader that is familiar with the area. Sometimes my internal GPS plays games on me though :)

Like you mentioned, Silver Creek or Shelburg are both good. The FR climb at Shelburg is about 6 miles or so. Nothing dificult. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Meat Foot said:
The perimeter loop is fun. I think it is in the neighborhood of 20 miles or so. It is pretty self explanatory, with the signage and whatnot. Park at the South Falls parking lot, and go across the highway to towards the Conference Center. You finish on a MUT, so watch the peds with animals on leashes. I have not done the whole thing on an SS, but you most certainly will not have an issue. Enjoy!

Also check in with The Merry Cranksters board. They are a helpful lot. :)
Yup, perimiter is a good loop. You can tie in the Shelberg network with Silverfalls for a longer ride but it requires making some turns that aren't marked.The best parts of Shelberg aren't official trails so there's no map of them. Evil Steve was our expert on that area but now he's in Portland, I've even seen evidence of him racing cyclocross :eekster:

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.