Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Shuttlemania in Bend- need feedback

6 of us are coming from Seattle to Bend in a few weeks for 5 days or riding. We will have 2 cars and I am trying to map out as much downhill as possible with as little uphill as possible. I have ridden most of the Phil's Trail network the last few years, so I know 100% DH is not reality and we have bikes to climb if needed, but are trying to stay away from this if possible. We earn all of our rides up here in WA, so we are trying to spoil ourselves on this trip! I am hoping I can get some feedback on the best routes to take.

We are going to start with MRT on the way over and do the hitchhike thing after dropping off a car. From the sounds of things, it isn't too hard to get picked up if you have your gear with you and look like a rider. So we will have 4 more days after this. Here is what I have so far:

1st day in Bend: Flagline down to Phils (usual route), or Southfork. I love Southfork, so where is the best pickup with the least amount of uphill from there? Skyliner? If we shorten it up, will probably do a shuttle or two from Upper Whoops and see how we feel.

One day of multiple shuttles out of Wanoga. Going to hit Tiddlywinks and Funner at least once or twice each and end up on lower SK on Conklin road. Might drive back up to Upper Whoops and shuttle that once or twice. Also going to do DMH out to Edison if we can fit it in.

Last full day thinking about going out to Peterson Ridge. Really don't know much about these trails and if we can shuttle these. Are there 2 trails (east and west) that are about 12 miles a piece? Could we do 2 runs, one on each? Need help on this one as I have not been able to get much info online. Might do this in the morning and come back to Phil's in the afternoon to ride or play around at Lairs.

Last day on the way home - going to hit Sandy Ridge. It was a tough call between Post Canyon and SR, but I think SR is winning out.

So that is our 5 day plan. Any ideas about the routes would be greatly appreciated. Trying to be as efficient as possible with shuttle locations and to maximize our downhill riding.

Stroke my hair vest
    Your best downhill section is going to be Flagline/ South Fork. Parking a shuttle vehicle at Skyliner seems a bit tedious considering you'd have to drive 30 total miles just to stash the car at Skyliner then 25 miles to Dutchman and then another 45 miles to go pick up the car at dutchman (make sense?). You'd probably be driving as long as you'd be riding! I say suck it up and climb the 3 miles on Skyliner trail and then you have another 10 miles of downhill with Whoops and Ben's or Phil's.

Another Dutchman shuttle could be to pass up Flagline and ride Met/ Win all the way to Happy Valley and then take Mrazek all the way back to town. There's some climbing on Met/ Win to Broken Top and after Happy Valley.

I'm not aware of shuttle options at Peterson Ridge.

Hope that helps.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    6 of us are coming from Seattle to Bend in a few weeks for 5 days or riding. We will have 2 cars and I am trying to map out as much downhill as possible with as little uphill as possible. I have ridden most of the Phil's Trail network the last few years, so I know 100% DH is not reality and we have bikes to climb if needed, but are trying to stay away from this if possible. We earn all of our rides up here in WA, so we are trying to spoil ourselves on this trip! I am hoping I can get some feedback on the best routes to take.

We are going to start with MRT on the way over and do the hitchhike thing after dropping off a car. From the sounds of things, it isn't too hard to get picked up if you have your gear with you and look like a rider. So we will have 4 more days after this. Here is what I have so far:

1st day in Bend: Flagline down to Phils (usual route), or Southfork. I love Southfork, so where is the best pickup with the least amount of uphill from there? Skyliner? If we shorten it up, will probably do a shuttle or two from Upper Whoops and see how we feel.

One day of multiple shuttles out of Wanoga. Going to hit Tiddlywinks and Funner at least once or twice each and end up on lower SK on Conklin road. Might drive back up to Upper Whoops and shuttle that once or twice. Also going to do DMH out to Edison if we can fit it in.

Last full day thinking about going out to Peterson Ridge. Really don't know much about these trails and if we can shuttle these. Are there 2 trails (east and west) that are about 12 miles a piece? Could we do 2 runs, one on each? Need help on this one as I have not been able to get much info online. Might do this in the morning and come back to Phil's in the afternoon to ride or play around at Lairs.

Last day on the way home - going to hit Sandy Ridge. It was a tough call between Post Canyon and SR, but I think SR is winning out.

So that is our 5 day plan. Any ideas about the routes would be greatly appreciated. Trying to be as efficient as possible with shuttle locations and to maximize our downhill riding.
    SIX of you are going to hitchhike?

Be sure to check on the forest fire status. Parts of the McKenzie highway have been closed because of it.

Peterson Ridge system is fun riding. Shuttling will do little to nothing. It is rolling without any major climbs or descents either out or back.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillbomber View Post
    Another Dutchman shuttle could be to pass up Flagline and ride Met/ Win all the way to Happy Valley and then take Mrazek all the way back to town. There's some climbing on Met/ Win to Broken Top and after Happy Valley.
    Agree with that recommendation 100%. Good look hitching mrt with 6 dudes ....why not just shuttle it to? Beware the fires out of sisters (peterson ridge) and bull run area (sandy ridge). Have fun!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    If you're going to live it up...

Shuttles, Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours, McKenzie River Trail, locals shuttles

It'll take away the hassle of stashing cars and hitchhiking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok, a little clarification. We will have 2 cars. We will park one at the TH of MRT and drive another one down to the ranger station and have one guy hitch hike back while we are all getting ready. We can put all 6 bikes on one car, so we can shuttle back to the TH after the ride and be on our way to Bend. We have no problem doing the shuttle at the resort if we need to, but I had read that one guy hitch hiking back to the TH was pretty easy.

I haven't done the Met/Win area or Happy Valley. How much climbing is involved and is Mrazek mostly DH down to Bend?

So if Peterson Ridge is a good option, what is best the route to take? Hard to tell on my maps. It mentions a shuttle on the map, so I thought there was a way to do that.

I am aware of Cog Wild, but we have 2 cars that can each carry 6 bikes, so we are set up well to shuttle everything we can.
    Last edited by dawgman25; 09-14-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Ok, a little clarification. We will have 2 cars. We will park one at the TH of MRT and drive another one down to the ranger station and have one guy hitch hike back while we are all getting ready. We can put all 6 bikes on one car, so we can shuttle back to the TH after the ride and be on our way to Bend. We have no problem doing the shuttle at the resort if we need to, but I had read that one guy hitch hiking back to the TH was pretty easy.

I haven't done the Met/Win area or Happy Valley. How much climbing is involved and is Mrazek mostly DH down to Bend?

So if Peterson Ridge is a good option, what is best the route to take? Hard to tell on my maps. It mentions a shuttle on the map, so I thought there was a way to do that.

I am aware of Cog Wild, but we have 2 cars that can each carry 6 bikes, so we are set up well to shuttle everything we can.
    MRT self shuttle:
    Drive down I-5 to Springfield then up 126 to the lower end (Paridise CG is better than the ranger station).
    Drop one car.
    Drive to upper trailhead.
    Ride trail to first car.
    Pickup second car on your way to Bend.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Old & slow

Peterson Ridge Feedback

[QUOTE=dawgman25;8445703]So if Peterson Ridge is a good option, what is best the route to take? Hard to tell on my maps. It mentions a shuttle on the map, so I thought there was a way to do that.QUOTE]

The east & west trails at Peterson Ridge parallel each other until you get on top of the ridge (easy, short climb) then it is a loop. There are many connectors between the east & west trails. I like to head out on the east trail, cut over to the west at some point before the ridge (like 18 to 17), CCW on the loop, come down off the ridge on the east trail, then cut back to the west trail to ride back to the start. I really like flying through the trees on the east trail on top of the loop.

FYI, Sandy Ridge can not be shuttled. There is a locked gate at the trailhead. You will have to climb the 3+ miles up, but it is so worth it.

Have a great trip,
    Jim

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Jim. Know about the ride up to SR. We all have 6" bikes and are accustomed to climbing and SR definitely seems like the "worth it" category. Doesn't sound like it is much of a climb.

Shiggy, thanks for the info. I grew up in Eugene, so know 126 well. Will have to show everyone the rock outside of Springfield. That will get some good belly laughs from everyone. Now...if we could only stop by The Mill Camp, we would be in great shape....LOL.

mtbr member
    FYI, there's lots of pedaling to do on the MRT even though the overall descent is 1,600 ft. It's the one of longest 26 mile rides I've been on due to stopping to look at all the scenery and the number of log bridges you have to cross. I would prepare for at least a 5 hour ride with 6 people, this is not counting your shuttle time etc, it's worth it, have fun.

Shuttlemania in Bend- need feedback-p1000075.jpg

Shuttlemania in Bend- need feedback-dscn0465.jpg

Shuttlemania in Bend- need feedback-p1000072.jpg

Shuttlemania in Bend- need feedback-p1000076.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    MRT self shuttle:
    Drive down I-5 to Springfield then up 126 to the lower end (Paridise CG is better than the ranger station).
    Drop one car.
    Drive to upper trailhead.
    Ride trail to first car.
    Pickup second car on your way to Bend.
    Agree with that 100% paradise CG is a way better end to the MRT than the ranger station for reasons that will become obvious once your there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    with reasonably fit riders that can clean a few moderately technical sections, you can do MRT in 2.5 to 3 hours. If you challenge yourself to clear everything, you might add another 30 mins. Enjoy, and make sure the wildfires don't interfere with any of your destinations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    MRT is an amazing day trip but don't be fooled, there is no real downhill element to the trail. 1600ft descent divided by 26mi, = a fun day of technical pedaling and a few short spots of fast down hill, but its an epic day either way. There is also a small resort that does carpools up to the top of MRT, dont remember off hand the name. If you have time, there is always alpine trail in oakridge for some sweet dh.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Re: Peterson Ridge

I don't know if the trail has been cleared yet but Tr. 99 from Three Creeks Lake down to P-Ridge is (or at least was last time I did it) awesome. This is probably the 2nd best "downhill" ride in the area after Lookout Mtn.

Barbie Camp - Saturday - Trail 99 group

Edit: MRT is a river trail, so rule of thumb is that rivers don't usually drop in elevation too drastically.
    Last edited by Nat; 09-15-2011 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for all the replies, looks like we will drop off at Paradise and go up from there. Nat, where is Lookout Mountain? Any other trails we should be looking at for shuttle I may be missing?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Lookout is east of Prineville, an hour east of Bend, so it might be a bit too far off your route.

Inside info on Ochocos - Round/Lookout?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We are up for drives for good shuttle type riding. No kids or wives on this trip, just riding and good beer drinking, so we are up for anything. So can you give me a bit more info on Lookout? Looks like it could be a great shuttle. The climb sounds brutal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
    with reasonably fit riders that can clean a few moderately technical sections, you can do MRT in 2.5 to 3 hours. If you challenge yourself to clear everything, you might add another 30 mins. Enjoy, and make sure the wildfires don't interfere with any of your destinations.
    Yeah but if it's your first time you're going to be stopping and admiring all the scenery, taking pictures, stop for lunch, fix a flat or two and with six people that time really adds up. Getting six to cross all the log bridges will probably take an hour if everyone waits for the last person before heading out.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    We are up for drives for good shuttle type riding. No kids or wives on this trip, just riding and good beer drinking, so we are up for anything. So can you give me a bit more info on Lookout? Looks like it could be a great shuttle. The climb sounds brutal.
    Lookout is a great ride with a killer descent. Even with a shuttle you would still be doing a lot of climbing. Do you have a specific question about it that the previous threads in the link didn't address?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nah, just trying to figure out if it is mostly a shuttle type descent or if there is still a lot of climbing. Worth the drive if the descent is there minus the climbing. Since we have 2 cars and a lot of time, just trying to map out the best rides to maximize the most downhill riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You guys happen to get any rain over the weekend or is it still a dust bowl? We are headed out mid week and hoping to get a little rain before then.

mtbr member
    Sprinkled a little. Doesn't matter it could pour for days here and it stays dry.

Its dusty, unless you ride right after a light rain or during one.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I don't mind the dust, just hoping some of those corners would firm up a little. They were pretty slippery in August. A lot of washouts if you didn't pick the right line.

mtbr member
    Yea totally. Not sure what the weather forecast is.

If you stay in the main line its usually ok, drift your tire into the fluff and washout city.

Whoops was pretty good Sunday morning it was light rain when i went down. But its dried out again today.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the info KTM. It will be a great time regardless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast