mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Shuttle ride recommendation in Bend

I need some local input. Going to have a group shuttle ride in September and have mapped out two options for a long Bachelor area to Bend route. Metolius-Windigo to Mrazek or Metolius-Windigo to Flagline to Swede Ridge to Sector16 to Whoops to Voodoo, to Grand Slam to KGB to Phils. Which would be better or more fun? Any better recommendation? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Bend Shuttle

The Metolius-Windego to Mrazek would be far less demanding than your second option. M-W to Farewell to Skyliner, Whoops, Bens, etc. would be an intermediate option.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The lower portion of the second one makes no sense unless you want to add some level XC at the end. I've found that after a long ride like that, it's best to just skip the unnecessaries and just jog right after Lower Whoops and then down Phils/Phil's Canyon past the chicken and straight to the trailhead.

Met-Win- Mrazek- (razzle-dazzle 4606 short cuts) Ben's to the TH is a pretty awesome descent though.

I must say I have never done Flagline and it's on the list but Met-Win with time to enjoy it would be awsome then. (IF there has been some rain and a freeze to kill the skeeters.)

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl
    I need some local input. Going to have a group shuttle ride in September and have mapped out two options for a long Bachelor area to Bend route. Metolius-Windigo to Mrazek or Metolius-Windigo to Flagline to Swede Ridge to Sector16 to Whoops to Voodoo, to Grand Slam to KGB to Phils. Which would be better or more fun? Any better recommendation? Thanks.
    Your proposed route would be a great one as long as somebody gets up to those trails to do seasonal maintenance first. I rode the Metolius-Windigo yesterday and there is still a massive amount of blowdown. There was also still a lot of snow. By the time you get here the snow should be gone, but it would be possible that the trail has not been cleaned up yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Your proposed route would be a great one as long as somebody gets up to those trails to do seasonal maintenance first. I rode the Metolius-Windigo yesterday and there is still a massive amount of blowdown. There was also still a lot of snow. By the time you get here the snow should be gone, but it would be possible that the trail has not been cleaned up yet.
    Wait - you rode Metolius-Windogo - where did you go? We cleared as much as we could due to snow constraints a week or so ago knowing things would be better about now. Please do share what part of the trail you are talking about.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild
    Wait - you rode Metolius-Windogo - where did you go? We cleared as much as we could due to snow constraints a week or so ago knowing things would be better about now. Please do share what part of the trail you are talking about.
    We rode a clockwise loop from Dutchman parking area to the Mt. Bachelor connector, got onto Trail 99 towards Todd Lake, up FS 370 past Todd Lake to the Broken Top TH, then headed downhill southbound on Met/Win back towards the Dutchman parking area.

There was much blowdown on FS 370 (which is closed to motor vehicles still) and a huge amount on Met/Win from the Broken Top TH to the 3-way intersection of Flagline and trail down to Dutchman.

Since I was doing a lot of walking anyway, I cleared off a bunch of the smaller blowdown. There are several big trees that need a chainsaw or reroute.