mtbr member

September trip...could use some local advice

We've got a guys trip coming up for September and it looks like Oregon (Bend'ish) is our destination. We'll have a crew of 5-6 advanced riders, and we're looking to string 3 epic rides together (for us this means all day rides, 20-30miles, looking for single track with good climbs and fun technical descents).

We're considering MRT, Middle Fork Willamette, Waldo Lake, Crescent Lake to Suzanne, Bachelor to Bend, Oakridge, and others. (I don't know much about these trails, other than what I've been able to pull out of random posts).

Trying to find a central place to camp or rent, and with three kick rides that won't require too much driving. Initial research shows some of these rides are pretty far apart. Looks like there are some options for local shuttle service, but not sure which to pick and where to stay.

Any advice for some CA guys coming north would be much appreciated. Oh, and what trails are this video??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9hO...layer_embedded

Known Mountainbiker
    Ooooo. All the Oregon trails are closed in September. Check Utah.

Caz.
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    caz,liar,liar,bike shorts on fire!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    Any advice for some CA guys coming north would be much appreciated.
    Shouldn't have said the "C" word.

Have you thought about Whistler? Seriously? More advanced; might be a good choice. Not much further north.

If I were doing three days of epics, I'd say that some of the trails you listed are too great a driving distance from Bend as a base unless you like starting out at 4:00-5:00 AM and arriving back after dark. Makes enjoying some Bend amenities and night life as well as getting some good sleep tough. To stay closer to Bend, spend less time in the autos and more time on the trails, I'd consider:

Newberry Crater Loop around Paulina and East Lakes is a 22 miler with a 40 mile option if combined with Paulina Creek; great scenery, 2900' of vertical, is for advanced riders and is about 40 miles from Bend.

Some epic options off of the Phil's trail and Tumalo Falls networks are good with many stunt possibilities scattered here and there.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    As previously stated, you can't really string 3 epic days together using Bend as your base camp without spending a lot of time driving. We all know that time is better spent drinking.

Forget Bend & go straight to Oakridge. Camp, rent, motel or hostel there & contact Randy at Oregon Adventures for info/shuttle service, http://www.oregon-adventures.com

You can also get a map at the local bike shop in Oakridge & wing it yourself, although Randy does a great job & will steer you in the right direction. Middle Fork & some combination of Bunchgrass, Alpine, Lawler/Hardesty & the 2 Larisons would keep you busy for a few days.

You could also ride Oakridge for 2 days & move your camp to the MRT for your final day.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions all. Sorry about the CA thing, we're Norcal (SF Bay Area) if that helps at all

I like the 2 day Oakridge with final day MRT suggestion. Those areas look great, and we'll just take our beers around the campfire instead of Bend. Lots of research to do still, and I'll definitely contact Randy at Oregon Adventures.

Any camping/lodging recommendations in the Oakridge area?

mtbr member
    It sounds like you are going to need to do two trips...

Trip One: Waldo/Oakridge. So many places to camp and ride - at Waldo to ride around the lake and then outside Oakridge for riding there. I would spend three days in this area. Randy will take great care of you for the Oakridge stuff. The video you mentioned is Alpine trail, a great cross country option. Many of the other options in Oakridge are a little more downhill, but still super fun! Waldo has some great climbing and is cross country style.

Trip Two: Bend/MRT. Bachelor to Bend is really many rides, I would say three full days of riding depending which way you return to town. MRT is a lot closer to Bend as well, so a good option for a third day. Bend is cross country riding land with more progressive stuff being built every year. We also now have five local microbreweries and you can camp up near a lake or near the trailhead in Bend. If you make it to Bend, let us know and we can help with shuttles.

Happy riding!!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    September....Perfect timing! You'll be in great riding shape, the high country will be in great shape, and as long as it's past Labor Day, the crowds will be gone. Some epic riding in the Waldo Zone can fill your time easily. 2 days can get you Waldo Lake Trail, Maiden Peak, Twins Peak, and Fuji Mtn/Mt. Ray/Gold Lake, if you are truly advanced riders. Waldo Lake Trail is classic and pretty rolly, but the others are brutal climbs with amazing mountaintop views and Killer Descents. (You can throw out an email to the Disciples of Dirt e-group for routing ideas and local knowledge).The trails that GorgeDon listed would make for a great trip, and I love those trails. But the tempting thing about the Waldo Zone is that it's not usually snow-free and skeeter-free until mid-August/early September, so your timing makes it a good option. Just more food for thought....really, you can't go wrong. Have a great trip!