mtbr member
    Aug 2009

scappoose sunday morning (9/27)

anyone interested in showing me around for 2-3 hours?

alternatively maybe a route suggestion?

thanks!

mtbr member
    It's closed still so please don't go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Let's roll.
    Aside from some "additions" which I'm not sure are legal or not, the main trails are actually a network that's extremely hard to get lost in. Every trail either connects with a fireroad or connects to a trail that connects to a fireroad that will lead you back to the main gate.

I guess what I'm saying is that if no one hits you up on the offer, just go alone and have fun exploring. I'd love to go, but the drive from Bend may not be worth it. Have fun.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The word is the Scappoose has been open for a couple of weeks now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    if no one hits you up on the offer, just go alone and have fun exploring.
    that's my plan.. thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It is definitely open and in great shape. I'd love to go but have other commitments tomorrow. Next time?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    changed my plan to afternoon but still heading out tomorrow for sure.. fastboy i'll post again next time i'm going. glad to hear things are good out there..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    so i went out this afternoon and had a great couple hours exploring the trails out there. it really is difficult to get lost, everything just turns back on itself at some point.. i found a lot of fun parts, a few 'oh ****' parts, plenty of climbing and enough crashes and close calls to keep it interesting.
    i'd still love to go w/someone familiar with the area though to get more of a guided tour.

after leaving the trails i still had energy to burn so i rode the couple miles up rocky point to skyline which definitely took some effort but i found a good cadence and took it to the top... the descent to my car was fun, it was nice to not really have to worry about all the gravel on the road (usually a minor annoyance when descending fast on the road bike).

so on my way up and down i noticed a number of other gates - what lies beyond? i am aware that at the 2nd gate (on the south side of the road) there are some other trails, are those 'legal' riding? how about the other gates? i saw a pickup truck w/a rock shox sticker on the window at one of them so somebody must be riding up there... anybody?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I recently moved to Portland (Hillsboro, actually) and I have been enjoying some riding in the Scappoose area as well and I had the same question. I've been looking, but I couldn't find any map or info except for a couple of pages in "Kissing the Trail". But on my way out there both times I've seen cars parked farther up Rocky Point road near some other blue gates, plus some appealing looking gates on the south or east sides of the road.

Are there any other legal trails out there that just don't have much beta on them? Any suggestions for longer loops, something where I park down at the first blue gate or even somewhere down along the 30 and then climb up RP and jump off along there somewhere or even drop off the north side of skyline? I'm having some fun exploring Scappoose (plus it's so close I can run out after work), but it seems like whenever I get in a good grove the trail splits or peters out onto the road.