troubled economist

Scappoose closed both sides pretty much through end of 2012

Currently due to logging operations and fire danger, both sides. Fire danger closure applies to ALL Longview Timberlands property (typically have light blue colored gates and posted with LT signs), until significant rainfall. Logging is expected to go through the end of the year at the Scappoose trails, and they are restricting access to all Scappoose trails off Rocky Point Rd. Pass the word...

Via NWTA:
    Short version:
    As of September 10, 2012, trails on Longview Timberlands (LT) property on both sides of Rocky Point Rd outside of Scappoose are CLOSED until further notice. Coinciding with this is a closure of ALL LT property-- due to extreme fire danger-- until significant rain occurs. Please pass the word on to fellow cyclists.

Extended version:
    There are currently active timber harvest operations occurring on BOTH the north and south side of Rocky Point Rd. These operations are expected to continue through the end of the 2012 calendar year. During this time, LT property on both sides of the road are closed to all public access, including recreational cycling. Please do not trespass on the property during this period of active timber operations.

Beyond the Scappoose property, as of September 13, 2012, ALL LT property is CLOSED to public access-- due to extreme fire danger-- until significant rain occurs.

Thanks for your cooperation, as cyclists, to help maintain our access to the LT property trails.

Tom Slovak / Andy Jansky
    NWTA
    Last edited by toowacky; 09-15-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    dig...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This sucks. I count on Rocky Pt trails during the the winter once the higher elevation areas are socked in with snow...
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Sucks big time! The best winter ride this side of Syncline. Otherwise, a desert of winter riding...

troubled economist
    As of 10/12/2012---

The Scappoose LT property is still closed for logging (expect it at least through the end of the year), but with the rains, OTHER LT property in OR/WA has been re-opened to public access.
    dig...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Saw in my e-mail box today a message from the NWTA saying the North Side is OPEN. However the south side is still CLOSED

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had heard that the north side was getting logged. Was that the case and are there still trails?

troubled economist
    Yes, the north side is now OPEN, the south side is still CLOSED.

And yes the north side got harvested. I haven't seen it personally but here's an account from my riding buddy:

I went out to Rocky Point and rode the north side Wednesday afternoon and thought it relevant to warn others that it's kind of thrashed. Longview has done some logging on that side and some of the trails/landscape are gone. The main service road is a mud bog from heavy trucks being on it, at least for the first .5 mile. Very lousy pedaling. The trails to the immediate left of the entry, what I remember as being named "Upper Bone", "Lolly Pop", and "Plateau" are where the most direct logging has occurred. Some of the trail is still there, some has been annihilated. Further in the landscape seems like it was except for the obvious heavy treading on the service road. It's super wet and muddy up there and a bit of a bummer. Personally, I've spent a lot of time pedaling around on those trails and it's definitely the worst I've ever seen it. There is still some good, technical, single track in there but you might not leave there very stoked. Such is the case with borrowed land I suppose.
    dig...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm working a job site close by. I need to stop by and check things out after work but the rain always changes my mind. Has anyone else been out to scapy recently? I really wish we could utilize this land and build some decent trails. It would appear we've lost the south side trails and that really depressed me.

mtbr member
    Never been out there and almost went out there to check it out today. Any updates on trail conditions lately? Or more of the same?

I got nothin'
    As of New Years day, the trails are in very good shape. All rideable with the exception of some trees down over the higher trails. There is some road building going on that took out sections of a few trails, but reroutes are all in place, so no big deal.
    I ride at ludicrous speed