mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sandy River Trails

Was up there today and saw a sign at the gate/trailhead that as far as i could understand said that the trails are closed. As i was leaving another biker also looked at the sign and agreed that it looks like the trails are closed. wassup?

troubled economist
    I think that was my friend that you saw at the trailhead. He shot a photo of it and I've sent it to the BLM to get clarification. Don't know what to think...

mtbr member
    I don't have a clue what this is about, but seems like I heard people were straying into the Bull Run Water Shed, and the authorities take that pretty seriously, so that's my guess.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

The Hide and Seek trail is open and pretty fun. The creek halfway down is a tough cross....as I found out when I dunked my leg and foot into it yesterday. The upper half of the trail and road up are snow covered. I'm not excited about riding there until spring because of the creek and snow but it is very fun. It is going to become a huge attraction and something to celebrate as we got new trails. Very exciting! And we don't have to arm wrestle with the Westsiders in PDX to ride there. Nice deal....

mtbr member
    Hey Everyone,

I'll look into this and get back to you. The IMBA crew has been building, designing and riding trails in the Sandy River Basin area up until this past week with plans to continue in March (or once the weather is more conducive to building). We work very closely with the BLM and haven't been informed of any closures. I'll let you know what I find out shortly!

Happy Trails,

Anna

troubled economist

Spoke to the BLM, trails are open!

I just spoke to Cindy Enstrom at the BLM, she was able to confirm that the land that the trails are on are not affected by the closure. Good news.

Sounds like the posting of public notice was a formality that was requested by the Water Bureau, to clarify that it is illegal to enter on the Bull Run Watershed land. The BLM didn't have a formal notification, and signage is still sparse, so sounds like the Water Bureau just wanted to make it clear that you can't ride in the watershed.

So, when you bike there, and ride the paved road up to get to the Hide & Seek trailhead, if you go further up the road, to the North, you will eventually reach the boundary of the watershed. This was clearly marked w/ a sign the last time I went all the way up there. Cindy (BLM) also stated that there used to be an upper gate to prevent further access via the road, and that there were plans to re-add a gate up top.

Looking at this map provides a visual idea of where the watershed starts/borders the trail system land (towards the top of the map):
    Sandy Ridge Trail System

So, in summary, nothing's changed, the trails are still open. They're a lot of fun if you haven't checked them out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    got out there yesterday and rode the lower section, fantastic trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toowacky
    I just spoke to Cindy Enstrom at the BLM, she was able to confirm that the land that the trails are on are not affected by the closure. Good news.

Sounds like the posting of public notice was a formality that was requested by the Water Bureau, to clarify that it is illegal to enter on the Bull Run Watershed land. The BLM didn't have a formal notification, and signage is still sparse, so sounds like the Water Bureau just wanted to make it clear that you can't ride in the watershed.

So, when you bike there, and ride the paved road up to get to the Hide & Seek trailhead, if you go further up the road, to the North, you will eventually reach the boundary of the watershed. This was clearly marked w/ a sign the last time I went all the way up there. Cindy (BLM) also stated that there used to be an upper gate to prevent further access via the road, and that there were plans to re-add a gate up top.

Looking at this map provides a visual idea of where the watershed starts/borders the trail system land (towards the top of the map):
    Sandy Ridge Trail System

So, in summary, nothing's changed, the trails are still open. They're a lot of fun if you haven't checked them out.
    Thanks for posting Toowacky. I guess I can unbunch my panties now.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Sandy Ridge Trail System

I called that one.

Glad to hear the trail is not affected.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Singletrack Addict

**Collective sigh**

Thanks for the clarification senor towacky!

For as much effort and length of time that this project has gone through, it would have been shocking if there was a reversal at this stage.

This will be a great trail system to add to the repertoire. Rode a couple laps a few weeks ago, spoke with some of the IMBA trail builders (much thanks ) and look forward to getting dirty this spring when trail work resumes.

Sandy Ridge Trail System