mtbr member

Sandy Ridge Trail Conditions for Sunday??

Thinking of heading out there tomorrow (Sunday). Worth my time or is still all snowed in?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    anybody ride it today?a report would be great!

thax,
    cb

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey there, registered because no one answered....As of Sunday March 4th 2012 "Hide and seek" is snow and mud from the bottom to the mid point turn off, and snow from then on up. Lauras loop is the only one that was clear. Didn't bother going up passed the turn out as it was all snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the update Shadylurker! With this recent snow it will probably be awhile till the trails are clear.

cb

mtbr member
    Sandy Ridge is still snowy. Went out there yesterday, (Thursday) and it was a mess. It would have been nice to know more about the conditions before I went. Was hoping the snow had melted more than it did. Ended up doing 1/2 lap on H&S then rode around Laura's and the lower jump lines multiple times.

I think it would be a good time for a temporary closing... The melting snow keeps the trail wetter than normal and it is really getting shredded.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I think it would be a good time for a temporary closing... The melting snow keeps the trail wetter than normal and it is really getting shredded.
    Did you add to the shred?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Did you add to the shred?
    Yes, I did add to the shred. I did a half lap and did not go back for more. Duped by the perfect tread on Laura's Loop. If I had known the conditions, I would not have even gone out there. This is where I think trail management and some sort of conditions alert would be a great resource.

Sandy Ridge has been built to handle wet riding. I am not saying we should not ride there when is it wet, but it is currently soaked. Snow mixed with mud and large puddles in the trail should equal a closure.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    This is where I think trail management and some sort of conditions alert would be a great resource.

Sandy Ridge has been built to handle wet riding. I am not saying we should not ride there when is it wet, but it is currently soaked. Snow mixed with mud and large puddles in the trail should equal a closure.
    Yes, it is better than a couple winters ago when they did close it due to poor tread conditions.

An alert system and closure process is in place. There is probably not funding for anything more elaborate. Someone posted in this thread that Sandy was a snowy, muddy mess on Sunday the 4th. Two days of drier but cooler didn't change much. And the closure process looks kind of like "oh crap, this tread is really too hacked up to ride so I'll get my bike off of it rather than add to it."

It's more about people accessing the education and news that is available, self-policing, and protecting what we have. They emphasize this at COTA with the Bend trails and as the sport gets more popular with exponentially more tires hitting the tread, self-policing will become more critical.

I'm not saying I walk on water because I've ridden a trail or two that I should have avoided. But, with 30K plus bikes hitting Sandy this year, we might as well become more attuned to what works for that system and keeps it in prime condition for everyone more of the riding season.

mtbr member
    The road past lower Hide and Seek is 3-6 inches of snow. As of today, Lower Hide and Seek is a fun ride and incidental damage is null as long as folks don't shred in corners. Little Monkey is pretty dry and nice and tacky.

troubled economist
    From a buddy who rode there last night:
    ...the trails are only really good below the powerlines. LM was pretty good
    and the only thing worth a damn up there right now due to all low elevation snow
    and slop (>1500')
    dig...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I think this is good time to point out that the NWTA hosts a trail wiki (Main Page - NWTA Wiki) where everyone can update current conditions for their favorite trail (Sandy Ridge: Trail:Sandy Ridge Mountain Bike Area - NWTA Wiki) and thus, also check conditions!

mtbr member
    There should be a Sandy Ridge Trail conditions sticky at the top of the Oregon page. There must be a dozen of these threads asking about trail conditions.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    There should be a Sandy Ridge Trail conditions sticky at the top of the Oregon page. There must be a dozen of these threads asking about trail conditions.
    Great suggestion! How about a sticky for each of the major trail systems in the area. Sandy Ridge, Gales Creek/Browns/WRT, Hood/44 trails, Gorge, Central Oregon, Oakridge etc.

Too Much Fun
    Yes PLEASE. Everyone should be updating the wiki on the NWTA site and some stickies would be GREAT.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling...
    - -benja- -

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

My rule of thumb is this

If the muddle puddles are plumb full then Sandy is probably a mud bowel. If dry, it is probably okay.

A web cam would be cool at the top...

Metalheadbikerider

Use this instead.

Main Page - NWTA Wiki

Created by riders for riders.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    mud bowel.
    That gets my vote for Post of the Week!
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy View Post
    That gets my vote for Post of the Week!
    I second that. Was he actually referring to FP? Does Bud Light sponsor a "mud bowel"?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

highly visible
    BLM has issued an Emergency Trail System Closure for Sandy Ridge, effective tomorrow:

Quote Originally Posted by BLM
    Sandy Ridge Trail System Emergency Trail Closure March 17th, 2012.

Heavy snow pack and subsequent rainfall has led to undesirable trail conditions within the Sandy Ridge System. The BLM will be closing this trail to public use. In order to fix problem areas and address undesirable trail conditions, the BLM will be performing priority maintenance. Over the next several weeks the BLM will be enhancing drainage, armoring sections of the trail and completing priority maintenance projects. The BLM will continue to monitor trail conditions and reopen portions of the trail as appropriate. Please respect these trail closures and refrain from accessing this trail system.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

FKA Malibu412
    BLM has issued an Emergency Trail System Closure for Sandy Ridge, effective tomorrow:
    Guess that means I won't need my bike there while staying up in the Welches area over the weekend. I kid. I wasn't going to ride there anyway. Maybe hit the Old Salmon River trail, though.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Funny

Call out the National Guard! An emergency order has been put in place. I rode Sandy today and it is fine from the bridge down with snow above. Emergency closure

The emergency should be all the broken glass in the parking lot and the gravel and bricks in the trail.

mtbr member
    Well, Syncline it is for this Sunday. After that maybe head over to The Dalles and check out Eagle Caves.