Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Sandy Ridge Trail

Has anyone ridden here lately?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rode it on sunday in the pouring rain. Trail was still sweet though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thinking about riding it tomorrow. Any info on a map?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The BLM's link to the system is below. It's a much nicer parking option to park at the regular parking lot with the bathrooms rather than the locked gate as described on the map. You can ride up the road the short ways to the locked gate turn off or there is a way to get there through the woods, but its not perfect.

Once on the locked gate road, the main trail is fairly obvious on the left. You can also ride the paved locked gate road to the top and take the single track down.

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...ilbrochure.pdf

MattSavage
    How is the other trail build coming along? Any work parties scheduled?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    How is the other trail build coming along? Any work parties scheduled?
    I'm definitely not in the loop, but, I think most of the work has been outsourced to contractors. I only know of one work party that was scheduled out there late last year for the public.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Pretty hammered

The trails are already getting hammered! Nice trails though.

mtbr member
    Next public work party is on April 24th from what I heard. The trails were all built by IMBA trail reps and BLM workers with exception of just one public work party day. I was at the work party in mid November and we worked on a brief section of Communication Breakdown (the 8-mile loop trail up top). We just cut and refined a little trail section with cool rock drop that can allow for about 5' feet of vert when hit it with a little speed and land out on steep tranny. Pretty cool, I rode it a couple times since being built, including last weekend. And there is a ride around for those not wanting to launch it. The bit of trails up there are a Godsend to have, but are showing some wear and needs a bit of love from all the riding done up there in past few months, especially with this warm winter.
    Last edited by jgusta; 02-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    Ride On!

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Next public work party is on April 24th from what I heard. The trails were all built by IMBA trail reps and BLM workers with exception of just one public work party day. I was at the work party in mid October and we worked on a brief section of Communication Breakdown (the 8-mile loop trail up top). We just cut and refined a little trail section with cool rock drop that can allow for about 5' feet of vert when hit it with a little speed and land out on steep tranny. Pretty cool, I rode it a couple times since being built, including last weekend. And there is a ride around for those not wanting to launch it. The bit of trails up there are a Godsend to have, but are showing some wear and needs a bit of love from all the riding done up there in past few months, especially with this warm winter.

What trail system contains this rock drop you speak of? Sounds cool
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

VP/ Terrain Designer
    answered my own ? thanks
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

ride it

This trail is sick, conditions this weekend could not have been better. Awesome flow. I wish there were more trail systems like this around here.

MattSavage
    is it recommended to climb the road or climb the single track?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    From what I understand, this trail was designed to be downhill specific. I do not know if it will be labelled as a one way trail or not. There is no signage yet. As for myself, I'd rather climb the road regardless.

Metalheadbikerider

No rec.

People do both. Great trail and the conditions are perfect right now!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On a weekday w/ few people around, climbing the singletrack is definitely doable and nicely challenging. However, if last saturday is any indication of how many people are going to be riding these trails (I saw a group of 10 w/ another group of 10 right behind), all weekend riders should definitely take the road. The upper section is faster, but a little safer for running into people. The lower section is really fun, but you could get into a major head on with an uphill rider in some of the blind corners. just my $.02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    On a weekday w/ few people around, climbing the singletrack is definitely doable and nicely challenging. However, if last saturday is any indication of how many people are going to be riding these trails (I saw a group of 10 w/ another group of 10 right behind), all weekend riders should definitely take the road. The upper section is faster, but a little safer for running into people. The lower section is really fun, but you could get into a major head on with an uphill rider in some of the blind corners. just my $.02
    Amen to that.

Anybody know if this open to hikers and equestrians? Or just bikes?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Anybody know if this open to hikers and equestrians? Or just bikes?
    Hikers=Yes

Equestrian=No

Quote Originally Posted by MattSavage
    Is it recommended to climb the road or climb the single track?
    I'd recommend the road climb, echoing some of the comments about traffic.

Build days: Northwest Trail Alliance will be coordinating some public maintenance/build days w/ the BLM. One that is scheduled currently is for 4/24. However, IMBA (along with other contractors) have been building the bulk of the trails.

mangai.rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    This trail is sick, conditions this weekend could not have been better. Awesome flow. I wish there were more trail systems like this around here.
    There is. Stop in at Momentum in Sandy the next time you're headed up there and ask around. They'll steer you right.
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

Take Chances
    So this trail is pretty sweet to ride. I hear there are other new trails in the Sandy area, like Marmot. Just wonder where to find out more information regrading where these trails are, what type, etc...

Thanks,

-T

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tymelero
    So this trail is pretty sweet to ride. I hear there are other new trails in the Sandy area, like Marmot. Just wonder where to find out more information regrading where these trails are, what type, etc...

Thanks,

-T
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...29918#poststop

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mcewan13
    There is. Stop in at Momentum in Sandy the next time you're headed up there and ask around. They'll steer you right.
    Are they still in business? I drove by a week ago on my way to meadows and it looked like they were shut down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudlover71
    Are they still in business? I drove by a week ago on my way to meadows and it looked like they were shut down.
    They moved about 2 blocks away on the north side of hwy 26 in town that heads west from Mt. Hood next to the Chevron gas station. Don't know the street name, but shop is visible if you look for it and I believe they are open from Tue-Sun. Swing by it's a cool, small, LBS that will have the necessities you need if have to repair or replace something on the fly and Carey (the owner) will hook you up with local trail beta and may entice you to do a local trail night ride on Thursdays at 7pm from the shop all year round. Mostly DH only riders there, but Carey does it all and has the scoop on all the trails around and tons of bike knowledge and can get/order just about anything you need/want.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Went there for the first time today and had a great time. From SE Portland it only takes me about 45 min to get there, which is just a tad longer then it takes me to get to Powell butte and I don't have to drive through traffic and the trail is a billion time better.
    I did Hide and seek twice, and biked a little ways into the communication breakdown to check it out before realizing it needs more work and turned around, when is the next work party? Went through the free ride area which is nice. Overall the place is great. Seams like hide and seek was made to keep speeds down with the tight berms which is cool, but one thing I didn't quite like is that a lot of the pump bumps want to be jumped, yet the next bump is just out of reach for a smooth landing, it would be nice to move a few of the bumps closer to each other for jumping, or maybe I just need to go faster... Also could it be possible to have a trail branch off of hide and seek and meet up with the free ride trail by the power lines?
    Good job to everyone that did the trails!

Take Chances
    Did just that and got the goods. Thanks.

-T

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeldrum26
    Has anyone ridden here lately?
    rode it yesterday. there is a trail work party some time in april, not sure on exact date. with all the bikers hitting the trail there should be a good turn out for it. cant wait till they complete the upper trail section, should add about 10 more mi.

cb

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast