mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Sandy Ridge on a rigid single speed

Would Sandy Ridge be fun on a rigid single speed?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Riding a mountain bike is fun but I can't imagine taking my rigid SS to Sandy. That area just screams for FS bike in any wheel size. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I rode it on my ht 29er... it was totally fine. the top was rougher, the bottom was super. I was really confused to see full face helmets and huge bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Few years back I used to ride sandy with a hard tail all the time. I'm not man enough to ride single speed and I like to have some gears for the ride down. The trails at sandy can really be pushed as hard as the rider is comfortable. I see people with weight weenie xc bikes and spandex, burly trail bikes, and sometimes a dual crown DH bike. I could easily see any of those bikes being adequate depending on how hard the trails are pushed. Personally I think a 5-6'' well built trail bike or as some call it all mountain bike is perfect for sandy.

mtbr member
    I assume that you own a rigid SS? Are you more concerned about getting your butt to the top on a SS or getting your butt down the trail on a rigid? In the past I have ridden a rigid SS and wouldn't hesitate to ride at Sandy Ridge. When I get my new rigid project up and running, Sandy will probably be the first place I go.

And personally, I wouldn't take advice from the suspension crowd in regard to riding rigid.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by therocket290 View Post
    Would Sandy Ridge be fun on a rigid single speed?
    Pretty much any bike will do at Sandy, but think a front fork would be preferred at least. A buddy who has a 6" travel bike prefers his 29'er SS up there with a little travel up front. For me it's 160 front/back so the bike (suspension) instead of my body takes the abuse on the way the down, unless I land a hit on my side like I did a couple of weeks ago resulting in bent bars, damaged new front wheel with shredded tire and side of body.. ouch!
    Ride On!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Pretty much any bike will do at Sandy, but think a front fork would be preferred at least. A buddy who has a 6" travel bike prefers his 29'er SS up there with a little travel up front. For me it's 160 front/back so the bike (suspension) instead of my body takes the abuse on the way the down, unless I land a hit on my side like I did a couple of weeks ago resulting in bent bars, damaged new front wheel with shredded tire and side of body.. ouch!
    I always use a front fork. Tough to keep the front wheel on the bike without it. Sometimes it is a rigid fork, sometimes suspension.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I always use a front fork. Tough to keep the front wheel on the bike without it. Sometimes it is a rigid fork, sometimes suspension.
    Silly, you know what I meant, a fork with some travel to it. I think of fully rigid as the rigid fork just being part of the frame in total. But yes, technically a fork is it's own part. I think fully rigid at Sandy would suck, but if you hit the trails with one on regular basis and most comfortable on it, may be fine. My hands, wrists, shoulders, back wouldn't like me that much if I were to use one at a place like Sandy.
    Ride On!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Silly, you know what I meant, a fork with some travel to it. I think of fully rigid as the rigid fork just being part of the frame in total. But yes, technically a fork is it's own part. I think fully rigid at Sandy would suck, but if you hit the trails with one on regular basis and most comfortable on it, may be fine. My hands, wrists, shoulders, back wouldn't like me that much if I were to use one at a place like Sandy.
    And there is another peeve. The OP had it right. A bike is rigid, or it is not. "Fully rigid" is redundant.

I would not have a issue riding SR on a rigid bike. Would be slower. Lots of fun.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    My rigid SS dampens my fun at SR as is it slows my descent I like to let the wheels run and bust through the rocks on my FS bikes. TTM is super fun at speed...just a hoot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    And there is another peeve. The OP had it right. A bike is rigid, or it is not. "Fully rigid" is redundant.

I would not have a issue riding SR on a rigid bike. Would be slower. Lots of fun.
    Semantics (roll eyes). If you get peaved off by this, you need help or more sh$t in your life or something? What's the deal, moderating job a little on the slow side?
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The descent on the rigid SS (err fully rigid ) makes one ornery and pedantic. If a guy is a SS rigid lover you will love it anywhere, but I'm a once in a while SS rigid guy and a trip to Starbucks for a cup. Otherwise, I want some cush under my aging butt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    The descent on the rigid SS (err fully rigid ) makes one ornery and pedantic. If a guy is a SS rigid lover you will love it anywhere, but I'm a once in a while SS rigid guy and a trip to Starbucks for a cup. Otherwise, I want some cush under my aging butt.
    I thought you only use one to fetch groceries
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I thought you only use one to fetch groceries
    Yaw, one changes with time SS is a great way to get fit and on muddy days. Otherwise, gears and suspension are good things!
    Last edited by Jaybo; 05-20-2013 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Sandy Ridge on a rigid single speed

I ride sandy ridge on my rigid ss and have loads of fun.

I got nothin'

Oh yea! SS!

I have ridden my SS at SR both with a rigid fork and with squish. I prefer the squish up front. The rocks tend to beat me up after two top to bottom runs. Although, the rigid fork does add some challenge to the ride.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Sandy Ridge on a rigid single speed

SS rigid on sandy... That's hardcore.

26er or 29er?

My beat up wrists couldn't hang with that.

I'm all hardtail for life (or until my body can't take the hits) but sandy is a rough ride. Not crazy, but rough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I always ride my SSPD at Sandy. Hard to keep up with jgusta on it though! The only trail that I miss the squish on is Two Turntables... my rear wheel is so competitive with the front wheel on that trail... always trying to be the first wheel down the trail, ha. Do you all know how much maintenance I missed out on this winter by leaving the 6" bike at home?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    SS rigid on sandy... That's hardcore.

26er or 29er?

My beat up wrists couldn't hang with that.

I'm all hardtail for life (or until my body can't take the hits) but sandy is a rough ride. Not crazy, but rough.
    Mine's a drop bar 29er w/ 2.4 inch tires, which might mitigate some of the wrist destruction. Riding on a full squish/HT is also a great time, just a different kind of awesome. We're so lucky to have a place like Sandy.

mtbr member
    I ride both SS and an enduro..... I actually wish that I could ride my SS on any climb and descend on my enduro. I have done both at sandy and must say that since SS is rigid, I prefer the full suspension (mainly do to my arms not enjoying a rigid fork).... but in reality your outside... on your bike... so who cares what you ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sandy Ridge is fun period. I have ridden it with hard tails and full suspension. There's no place that can't be cleared with a rigid bike, I just personally need front shocks at a bare minimum to save my neck and back from agony (I'm old)....