Tre1nt
    Feb 2006

Sandy Ridge new video and press release from IMBA

From IMBA's press release ...

The Sandy Ridge Trail System in Oregon is one of the most innovative mountain bike trail systems on public land. Located about 45 minutes east of Portland, the trails are managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and have been designed and built by IMBA's Trail Solutions, with help from AntFarm and the Northwest Trail Alliance, an IMBA chapter. The trails are optimized for mountain biking (equestrian use is prohibited) and feature a mix of machine- and hand-built features, with options for all abilities.

Watch IMBA’s just-released Sandy Ridge video. Sandy Ridge Trail System, Oregon | 2013 on Vimeo

Sandy Ridge celebrated the grand opening of two new trails over the July 4 holiday. The newly opened trails mark the completion of the initial phase of construction and bring the total miles of bike-optimized singletrack in the Sandy Ridge system to just over 15. Follow the Leader is a double-black diamond trail 1.65 miles in length, featuring 350 feet of vertical descent and several challenging rock lines. Flow Motion is a 0.75-mile intermediate trail with tacky soil and more than a dozen berms.

The Sandy Ridge trails were built after a 2006 Wilderness expansion near Portland closed 125 miles of trails to mountain bikers on U.S. Forest Service land. Following that, the BLM worked with other agencies to figure out what role they could play in the area, and building bike-specific trails was high on the list of desired projects.

“During the development process, we got a lot of feedback from the riding community that people wanted opportunities for more advanced, technical singletrack,” said Zach Jarrett, an Outdoor Recreation Planner with the BLM. “I think the new trails are a perfect addition to the system. Sandy Ridge is emerging as a valid mountain bike destination for people outside of the region.”

The trails are already proving to be an economic driver. In June, Clackamas County Tourism and Cultural Affairs pledged $10,000 to support Sandy Ridge. The funds will be used directly for expanding the trail system, which currently draws 40,000 visitors to the area each year. “Thoughtfully-executed recreation sites such as Sandy Ridge have a profound impact not only on visitors’ experiences, but also on the economic well-being of communities and Oregonians’ quality of life,” said Jae Heidenreich, Development Lead for Clackamas County.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool, well done IMBA and BLM...hope this is the future of BLM/FS working with IMBA building new trail areas.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E View Post
    The Sandy Ridge trails were built after a 2006 Wilderness expansion near Portland closed 125 miles of trails to mountain bikers on U.S. Forest Service land.
    Sandy was moderately fun the one time I rode there, but I would have much preferred to not lose those 125 miles to the wilderness expansion. IMO places like Sandy will be used to justify and "mitigate" closure of other lands to riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Sandy was moderately fun the one time I rode there, but I would have much preferred to not lose those 125 miles to the wilderness expansion. IMO places like Sandy will be used to justify and "mitigate" closure of other lands to riding.
    I appreciate Sandy Ridge, but would gladly trade it for Widen's awful mistake too. Please note that I am thankful that Sandy is there, but I prefer Roaring River, etc... kinda wish jgusta was in the vid. Cheers Jon!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm sure all those miles of trails that are off limits are being used sooooo much more now that Mt Bikes can't go on them (dripping with sarcasm)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    I'm sure all those miles of trails that are off limits are being used sooooo much more now that Mt Bikes can't go on them (dripping with sarcasm)
    Sorry for wandering more OT here. Those trails were not used much before the wilderness designation, surely less now. That was part of the beauty of it all. Scenery, adventure, route finding awesomeness. Quite different from the "Sandy Ridge Bike Park" experience. To me Sandy is OK, but not really what I want from mt. biking though so have not been back yet (someday though). For others it's the best in the area cause it gives them what they want from riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That was put together well, great photography. So stoked that place is there, only hurdle moving forward will be the maintenance and upkeep, and the literal keeping up with the increased use. As fun as Flow Motion is and it kicks all sorts of a$$, it's already borderline thrashed in many spots. To be fair its getting hot and dry but its suffering from lots of folks on it. The berms are really packing in though, few holes from riders who just wont let go of the brakes in the right places. Overall we're really lucky to have that sort of riding nearby.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am really glad to have flow motion. I have noticed a lot more less experienced riders are just doing laps on it and lower HS. Leaving the upper elevation stuff less crowded with people out of their element.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I may miss Grouse Point and Dry Ridge, but FTL is incredible. Too bad I had not been on Flow Motion earlier since it is really blown out for a trail that has been open less than three weeks. Where folks use their brakes continues to bewilder me. Maybe they are just over their head. FTL is amazing and I am looking forward to the future in regards to this type of riding experience. That tree with the lil' slot is challenge for sure. Wow, what a trail! Now we need a water pump at the upper kiosk!!! A sprinkler system would be a nice wish too... I know, that will not happen. Back to the water pump... it should not require much since it is in Bull Run. Dose anyone know why there would be any vehicles on the road on Sunday? That makes no sense. Bull Run folks working overtime on the weekends??? Pretty suspect...

MattSavage
    The videos definately don't do the new trails justice! They are more technical than they appear. So fun! Nice work!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Dose anyone know why there would be any vehicles on the road on Sunday? That makes no sense. Bull Run folks working overtime on the weekends??? Pretty suspect...
    Saw two PWB Ranger vehicles up there this weekend. As more recreation enters the area, more patrols are required to keep people out.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    IMO, Follow the Leader could possibly be the best 1.5 miles in the area. That long loose rocky section is tough, I haven't been able to clean it on my hardtail.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ftl

I really need to invest in armor before attempting FTL again. Rode it finally yesterday morning, but one long rock garden claimed part of by elbow, hip, and derailleur hanger. So I have a goal to be able to ride the whole trail and come out unscathed...

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    IMO, Follow the Leader could possibly be the best 1.5 miles in the area. That long loose rocky section is tough, I haven't been able to clean it on my hardtail.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I cheated and rode my full suspension yesterday. Next time it will be the sspd. I cleaned the rocks, but that TREE was not to be had the first time around. I may invest in a less fragile helmet for this type of trail. I already "donated" one Prevail this year... sure cannot afford that again. I really like FTL. First time that I EVER considered purchasing pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    I really need to invest in armor before attempting FTL again. Rode it finally yesterday morning, but one long rock garden claimed part of by elbow, hip, and derailleur hanger. So I have a goal to be able to ride the whole trail and come out unscathed...
    I haven't donated any blood to FTL, but it also got me thinking about some pads too.

Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I cheated and rode my full suspension yesterday. Next time it will be the sspd. I cleaned the rocks, but that TREE was not to be had the first time around. I may invest in a less fragile helmet for this type of trail. I already "donated" one Prevail this year... sure cannot afford that again. I really like FTL. First time that I EVER considered purchasing pads.
    Are you refering to that tricky right over the rock and around the tree just as the trails starts to go downhill? I get hung up on the tree everytime.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.