Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Sandy Ridge bike company demos.

Just wanted to throw out a big thanks to Ibis, Santa Cruz, Juliana, and random bike tour companies x2 for showing up to Sandy on Sunday and taking up nearly half the parking area by parking sideways and setting up your multiple large demo tents. The families that ended up parking down road at the hiking trailhead and then riding the road up with their kids were not very stoked. Last I checked the area was built for public use and parking, not your bum rush take it over on the weekend so you can sell a bike demo events. Add to it the sour looks on your faces whenever a car tried to leave the parking area because you had to stop whatever you were doing because you were blocking the access out and its over. Talked about this with a few people actually able to park and we agreed next time it gets to this point we will just parallel park next to your demo vehicle and leave it there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was wondering the same thing. They sure took up a lot of parking places for a public space. I was wondering if they get special permits from the BLM to operate there? A good way to express concern is to notify BLM and provide some constructive input. I also was wondering if these companies give back anything to the trails for the inconvience.

mtbr member
    I've enjoyed riding demo bikes in the past at Phil's. They've got a lot more room to spread out there. Since the Sandy Ridge parking lot tends to fill up, I wonder if there is another place they could set up and still be there to offer demos. I've got a buddy that is bike shopping and I know he has taken advantage of the demos at SR.

Is there a compromise?
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterryh View Post
    Is there a compromise?
    Sure, they can contact BLM and setup demo rigs and tents in front of the main gate and on the BLM road at same spot. Another demo beat you to that spot? oh well. No more demo parking in the main lot or if so not on the pavement and sideways through all of the actual designated parking spots. I'm curious if this weekend was a shop sponsored event, and if so which shop?

mtbr member
    I don't know all the demo crews but most of those I have met are pretty nice guys & gals. Did anyone try to discuss the issue with them at all?

People who go mountain biking & then complain because they had to ride uphill may need to reevaluate their choice of preferred activity. (let the shelling begin)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post
    People who go mountain biking & then complain because they had to ride uphill may need to reevaluate their choice of preferred activity. (let the shelling begin)

Gee, no sh!t, eh ??? I'll lob the first shell your direction... I'm talking about three different groups with kids all under the age of 10 that then needed to ride the mile or so on East Barlow Trail Rd from the hikers trail-head to the Sandy parking lot, zero shoulder, plenty of traffic to contend with that they normally wouldn't. This has nothing to do with actually having to climb trails or paved BLM road to get into the trails.

Too Much Fun

Point taken but....

Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Just wanted to throw out a big thanks to Ibis, Santa Cruz, Juliana, and random bike tour companies x2 for showing up to Sandy on Sunday and taking up nearly half the parking area by parking sideways and setting up your multiple large demo tents.
    Don't blame the companies doing the demos, blame the folks that hand out the permits (BLM IIRC,) and tell them you don't think they should allow for large demos. The companies that were there were playing by the rules that BLM set up for permits. And I believe they have it set up so they have a bunch there on one day vs having a few there over many days.

And if I had to point fingers any of the individual companies, start with Santa Cruz who had two large vehicles. Does the Juliana line *really* need an entirely separate demo van?!

FWIW, I got up early and rode from about 6-9:30am. Several of the demo vans were there overnight.

...and while you're at it, tell the BLM how awesome Sandy Ridge is and how much we all want more trails like it!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    I rode Sandy on Saturday and it was great. I tend to not go on demo days. Just sayin

mtbr member
    Just think how overcrowded it would have been if there were bikini girl sightings at Sandy Ridge.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I was there and it was great fun. So you had to park and ride a minute or two. Big deal. Some people just have too much time on their hands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Some people may have had young children in tow. Maybe it takes the perspective of a parent to understand the importance of a safe arrival at the actual trailhead. I would not have ridden with children on Barlow Rd. I would have double parked right in the way of the "permit holders". I did not read anything in the OP's post that alluded to any issue with extra mileage en route either. But, you all go ahead with your pseudo positive approach to your perception of what the OP's point might be.Gee, the permits include camping too. How nice, I am sure that everyone had a great time at Sandy, but Barlow Rd... any cheers for that portion of the day? Personally I appreciate most demo situations, but how can anyone defend one that was so poorly organized. The parking area should not be half full of sales equipment and adjusting a seat post should occur away from a specific traffic lane as well. Anyway, you all missed out by not riding the rd44 stuff... Ha!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's just as packed when there is a race event or any other event up there. Seems strange to rant about that as we are talking about Sandy Ridge after all. Its the busiest ride area around by orders of magnitude, but there are many other places to go if you want to avoid overcrowding.

And there were numerous notices about the demo day, so you can definitely check ahead if you want to make sure that you aren't going to deal with that situation again.

Where would you have the demos go? Its a great service and really allows the public to get a chance to actually try a new bike before they decided to put 5-6 grand into one. Many of the bike companies also contribute a lot of time and money to various trail advocacy causes, which helps us get these trails in the first place. Shoot, we narrowly missed out on getting a $100,000 grant from Bell Helmets for even more trails at Sandy. I'm not going to begrudge a company having a demo on a Sunday for that.

mtbr member
    I still don't know if anyone talked to any of the demo crews so I'm hesitant to offer too many suggestions but I do agree that taking small kids up a busy road is not a good idea. Had I found myself in that situation with youngsters along I would most likely have driven the rest of my group & their bikes up to the main parking lot & then taken the car back down & ridden up by myself. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Where would you have the demos go? Its a great service and really allows the public to get a chance to actually try a new bike before they decided to put 5-6 grand into one.
    I agree its a great service, and responded above with an alternative when asked if there was a compromise. Have all demos staged at the main gate, no further parking in the main area. The bike companies exist because of US, not the other way around.

For the record, I was actually parked in the lot, albeit after three laps in and out. My own 9 yr old daughter noticed all of the kids in the hiking trail lot, pointed them out and asked why they were there? Same 9 yr old upon seeing the regular lot filled with sideways parked demos and tour vans said "Daddy that's rude, why would you park like that? nobody else can park..." My thoughts exactly. Same kids and parents from the hiking trail-head eventually rolled into the main area, noticed my daughter and struck up a conversation with me about Sandy and kids riding in general, that's how I was privy to their own thoughts on the issue I would've dropped my own kids and come back as was suggested but found a spot. Another family with little kids had same thing happen.

Bottom line is the situation on that day was over the top and sucked. Moving forward it needs to be addressed. I'm far from anti demo, bring it on, just stage them at the gate and if needed limit the number of companies that can do it on the same day

mtbr member
    Where do your kids ride at Sandy? Seems to me that somewhere more child friendly such as Cascade Locks would be a good spot for you. I take my dog there on occasion and have never had any parking issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineedmorecowbell View Post
    Where do your kids ride at Sandy? Seems to me that somewhere more child friendly such as Cascade Locks would be a good spot for you. I take my dog there on occasion and have never had any parking issues.
    Well for starters there's the kids / beginners loop around the parking lot, the Mary's loop beginners line off the lower run out, the lower run out, the new beginners flow line into the lower run out. I do appreciate your concern although my kid sorta rips for a 9 yr old so it's not an issue. That's pretty cool you've got your dog riding a bike at Cascade Locks, wouldn't be my first choice but for a dog I bet it's great. You should hook up with Jaybo, I hear he taught his dog to ride a bike too!

mtbr member
    Well for starters there's the kids / beginners loop around the parking lot, the Mary's loop beginners line off the lower run out, the lower run out, the new beginners flow line into the lower run out. I do appreciate your concern although my kid sorta rips for a 9 yr old so it's not an issue. That's pretty cool you've got your dog riding a bike at Cascade Locks, wouldn't be my first choice but for a dog I bet it's great. You should hook up with Jaybo, I hear he taught his dog to ride a bike too!
    Just trying to help out. Since you're gonna keep riding Sandy Ridge maybe you should quit whining about the parking on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineedmorecowbell View Post
    Just trying to help out. Since you're gonna keep riding Sandy Ridge maybe you should quit whining about the parking on the internet.
    Just responding to your condescending reply that had nothing to do with the topic, you really offered no help. Since it appears you don't get it -the issue is not regular users of the place who fill the parking, that's the just the way it is and is very much accepted and expected. Whats not accepted or expected is a full blown corporate invasion of multiple trucks and tents that displaces users of the public place, all for their benefit.

Since we've now got your opinion re: kids at Sandy on the books, do you have any constructive ideas on demo parking? If not, please move along.

mtbr member
    Don't go on Demo days!!!! The lots always full go earlier. Finally who is a regular user? I see xc and Wallyworld bikes on the trail more than anything else. Catching what I'm puttin down? Kids are cool BTW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Don't dis the xc. That is all some of us can afford. Besides I ride the day lights out of it till I can afford a proper bike. 29er, 203 brakes, 800 mm wide bars, ya I am compensating

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Whats not accepted or expected is a full blown corporate invasion of multiple trucks and tents that displaces users of the public place, all for their benefit.
    Hmmm, I think you are still being a bit too cranky and defensive about this. This so called corporate invasion probably happens a grand total of 10 days a year, and as I pointed out above those companies have more to do than you think in getting those trails developed in the first place. The other 355 days of the year are totally free from this issue.

I'm thinking if you just did a little more research before hand, you could avoid this problem. For example, I am headed to Oakridge for the weekend. I double checked the schedules and found that they are running the Creampuff so I won't be able to ride on Alpine/Tire/Cloverpatch. Now I know that and will plan accordingly.

FYI - There is a Salsa demo at Sandy today, so you should probably steer clear of the area.

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge bike company demos.

I love salsa. Are they bringing chips also or should I bring my own?
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    FYI - There is a Salsa demo at Sandy today, so you should probably steer clear of the area.
    One truck doesn't count as a corporate invasion, but three sideways trucks, their tents and a couple of bike tour companies doing the same on a weekend, at the same time does. That's what got me cranky. Salsa will experience crickets out there today if its anything like the last Friday demo we saw a couple weeks ago (Ibis?), hardly an impact, and admittedly a drag for them.

So far most suggestions have leaned towards simple avoidance of the area, which is effective on the aggravation end, but not really an answer. Is it unreasonable to require that all demos are staged at the gate on the old parking spot, especially on a weekend? If not, why doesn't that option work?

Sounds like you may know something others don't - what did Ibis and / or Santa Cruz do to get these trails developed? Honest question, no snark involved.

mtbr member
    Setting up the demo trucks by the gate would potential block access. I doubt they would allow this.

Seems like I recently read that Sandy Ridge is expected to receive over 120,000 visits this year. It's a popular place, we'll just have to live with some of the discomforts that come with popularity.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Where did you learn about the demo that day? I had no idea it was scheduled and I am typically aware of such events. FYI, you can still ride the CCP course during the event. It's never been closed before.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast