Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Rode Sandy Ridge this morning, haven't ridden out there for a month or so and Hide and Seek is one beat down MF'er...Blown out corners, brake bumps into the corners and in the middle of berms, multiple lines around rocks and roots on the upper trail and people are even cutting the corners on the paver section on lower Hide and Seek.

I wonder how she'll hold up to the final stage of the Oregon Enduro Series? Not well, I'm sure.

I still enjoyed the trail, but damn, people need to ride within there skill level.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 08-31-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I did hear machinery above the road near the midway drop-in on Hide and Seek. Can't wait to see what they're building.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    these late season trail conditions make me appreciate my 6" travel ride a lot more!

anybody know when the next trail maintence day is scheduled?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    anybody know when the next trail maintence day is scheduled?
    I'd bet when the rains start.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It always seem blown up to me. I'm glad the microwave trail has been built.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Rode Sandy Ridge this morning, haven't ridden out there for a month or so and Hide and Seek is one beat down MF'er...Blown out corners, brake bumps into the corners and in the middle of berms, multiple lines around rocks and roots on the upper trail and people are even cutting the corners on the paver section on lower Hide and Seek.

I wonder how she'll hold up to the final stage of the Oregon Enduro Series? Not well, I'm sure.

I still enjoyed the trail, but damn, people need to ride within there skill level.
    I thought that it was in very poor shape on my last excursion. Due as much to the skill level as the lack of moisture. I believe that many riders are way over there head here. Who attempted to remove that large tree root on Hide & Seek? That reminded me of the "whimpification" of Browns Camp. Thanks for the warning. I had told myself that a trip back must include at least a bit of moisture. Bad manners are the default I suppose.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mouthbreather
    Sep 2005
    Rode it today. And it... was... glorious! Sure, the track has it's share of braking bumps, but still faster and flowy-ier than anything else in the area. Rode Communcation Breakdown for the first time today. Not sure it's worth the extra little bit of climbing.

Speaking of over my head, I'm only 1 for 4 on that rock drop at the beginning of Two Turntables. Once didn't have enough speed and twice missed the line by bowling over the rocks on the left. Is it just me or do both of the run-ins to the rock drops at Sandy make them harder than they should be?!

Too Much Fun
    It's just a very popular option now for Portland folks. Given the packed parking lot every weekend, dry summer, I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised with how Sandy Ridge is holding up. Sure it's a bit thrashed, but it's been getting heavy use all summer.
    - -benja- -

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    The other day I actually tried connecting with Communication Breakdown off of QuidProFlow. CB peaks in the middle so you do have a little downhill coming back around to the Rock Drop descent. Not a bad way to add a little miles if its not crowded out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    It's just a very popular option now for Portland folks. Given the packed parking lot every weekend, dry summer, I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised with how Sandy Ridge is holding up. Sure it's a bit thrashed, but it's been getting heavy use all summer.
    True, but why the obstacle removal? If you can't ride it that does not give license to dumb it down. Maybe some rear brakes should be disconnected too. Does popularity excuse the new spider web trails as well?

Too Much Fun

Dumbing down is never OK

Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    True, but why the obstacle removal? If you can't ride it that does not give license to dumb it down.
    Agreed. I wonder if the removal of obstacles is official or unofficial? Either way, it's weak.

Ride it or Learn How to Ride it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    True, but why the obstacle removal? If you can't ride it that does not give license to dumb it down. Maybe some rear brakes should be disconnected too. Does popularity excuse the new spider web trails as well?
    The root removed you speak of was more than likely done to allow for continued/non-altered speed on upper H&S, as the goal of design is to be a "flow" trail with consistent speed from top to bottom and why it is one-way recommended traffic as well (the trail was originally intended for flow and speed) Whereas, QPF, Two Turntables trails offer a little more tech and the new trail section on the NE side of Rd. 14 is suppose to be even more naturally techy with bigger stuff to ride as well. Will be awesome when done as it starts at top of H&S (across from kiosk) to just below the connector to lower H&S on opposite side of Rd. I looked up at that location the last time I was there where trail is flagged off of Rd and could see a huge natural rock drop slab (with ride around options of course )
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    The root removed you speak of was more than likely done to allow for continued/non-altered speed on upper H&S, as the goal of design is to be a "flow" trail with consistent speed from top to bottom and why it is one-way recommended traffic as well (the trail was originally intended for flow and speed) Whereas, QPF, Two Turntables trails offer a little more tech and the new trail section on the NE side of Rd. 14 is suppose to be even more naturally techy with bigger stuff to ride as well. Will be awesome when done as it starts at top of H&S (across from kiosk) to just below the connector to lower H&S on opposite side of Rd. I looked up at that location the last time I was there where trail is flagged off of Rd and could see a huge natural rock drop slab (with ride around options of course )
    The quality of the work just did not match everything else on Sandy. The root was easily jumped with speed as my best ally. It appeared to have been done by someone with less direction. I was certainly not *****in' about tech features as they have existed. It just plain looks like "this one root really messes with my line". I am sure that you, for instance, have never been hampered by this root... seriously. OT... I really enjoy Sandy Ridge... looking forward to late fall up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I miss that root. There was something enjoyable about using it to jump that whole section or just plowing over it. Thanks to whoever doesn't have the balls to learn how to ride a trail properly we all suffer. I'm looking forward to the new trail if its truly going to be a tech advanced trail. Any word on when it will be done?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I miss that root. There was something enjoyable about using it to jump that whole section or just plowing over it. Thanks to whoever doesn't have the balls to learn how to ride a trail properly we all suffer. I'm looking forward to the new trail if its truly going to be a tech advanced trail. Any word on when it will be done?
    Same root? I too miss the small rock-faced root launch on left of trail about 1/4 mile above bridge as you approach a straight-away section at speed after a couple speedy s-turn sections (just before where Two Turntables use to unofficiaclly come out before the lower section was completed). I use to love launching off that at speed into with enough speed and momentum to not have to pedal all the way to oncoming corner after the longish bumpy/stuttery straightaway section. The big root that was a a total speed trap above this, required one to have to slow down and pedal/hop up and over. This was right after the somewhat newly sanitized rocky section before left turn that is better and faster now since revised IMO as well. And yes I have got my tire hung up on that root a time or two, once during the 2010 Super D. Bad enough, that I was totally off the bike and fumbling for seconds to get bike re-oriented between the trees and back on the trail. Somehow was able to place 1st in my Cat to my surprise, must of made up for it on the other sections .
    Ride On!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I find it funny that many of the root/rock ride-a-round routes are harder than just going over the rock/root, even rolling them at moderate speed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I've ridden Sandy Ridge quite a bit this year and it is noticeable how worn the trail is getting compared to earlier in the season. The blown out corners and brake bumps I can live with, but I can't believe people are short cutting through the paver section.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing up there that is bad, but I have to say my favorite section of trail at Sandy Ridge is the Upper section of Hide and Seek from the kiosk to the midway drop-in, I love the rocky rooty stuff. And that man made rocky section on Quid Pro Flow is damn good too. If the rumors are true about the new trail being super technical, I wouldn't be more happy.

And IMO, speed is what makes TT&M technical, the trail is nothing at lower speeds, but take it up a notch, and the whoops and little g-outs change the trail characteristics very fast. I've found the opposite with upper Hide & Seek, the more I learn the trail the faster I've been riding it and with more speed it seems much easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    TT&M sure is fun at speed. Can't wait till fall when I can rip that trail in damp conditions. All that wet rock will be SOOO fun! Is it me or did the trail wreckers dumb down the dropping big right turn on upper HS. That has a nice rocky elevation drop into a rocky right cornered berm. If you choose the right line with enough speed you can just about jump half the section landing in the sweet spot of the berm. I'd also note that the berms on QPF that are starting to show baby heads are a blast on a 6'' bike. I really hope they leave them alone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    TT&M sure is fun at speed. Can't wait till fall when I can rip that trail in damp conditions. All that wet rock will be SOOO fun! Is it me or did the trail wreckers dumb down the dropping big right turn on upper HS. That has a nice rocky elevation drop into a rocky right cornered berm. If you choose the right line with enough speed you can just about jump half the section landing in the sweet spot of the berm. I'd also note that the berms on QPF that are starting to show baby heads are a blast on a 6'' bike. I really hope they leave them alone.
    I could not agree more about TT&M at speed. It is the only place up there that I don't want to be on the HT SSPD. Suspension and 8" rotors fit so well on this section. Cheers to that moisture element too!

Too Much Fun

Agreed: TT&M at speed = pure pleasure

I could not agree more about TT&M at speed.
    It's over too fast, but it's so nice while it lasts. Well done to those who built it and PLEASE don't sanitize it!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Rode Sandy Friday after work and yeah it's pretty blown out (not much more than this time last year though). A lot of guys there getting in some practice runs for the race, and this will obviously add to how blown out it will get. Not sure I understand the concept of shuttle days or events held on our fragile local trails that just kill them for the rest of us. Can someone explain that to me? Don't even get me started on the genius idea of throwing 3/4 rock down everywhere.

Also to anybody that is or knows anybody who is cutting the roots out of Browns camp please STOP! There are very few challenges on our trails and if I catch anybody robbing me of them your tools are getting tossed down the ravine. Have a nice day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Crying shame about browns camp. I can't speak for events being held on our local trails as I partake in those events. I will say that some event organizers plan trial maintenance as part of using the trails.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    I rode Sandy today and yes there are some major braking pot holes appearing all over the place. Lower Hide and Seek has been getting these for a while, but today I noticed that 2 Turntables is getting beat up by brake happy folks. This is most definitely from novice riders riding the breaks way too much most definitely, but today I was riding close to some so called expert or advanced riders that are here for the race tomorrow and they were skidding all over the place as well.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Area is getting hammered by over use, bad winter weather, and so so dirt. Great effort! I do wonder if it should be closed more when it becomes hammered by winter weather. I'm not convinced that skidding is the major problem but I am not an expert on such things....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Rode Sandy Friday after work and yeah it's pretty blown out (not much more than this time last year though). A lot of guys there getting in some practice runs for the race, and this will obviously add to how blown out it will get. Not sure I understand the concept of shuttle days or events held on our fragile local trails that just kill them for the rest of us. Can someone explain that to me? Don't even get me started on the genius idea of throwing 3/4 rock down everywhere.

Also to anybody that is or knows anybody who is cutting the roots out of Browns camp please STOP! There are very few challenges on our trails and if I catch anybody robbing me of them your tools are getting tossed down the ravine. Have a nice day.
    Are you serious... I did not think that there was anything left to remove? What a shame.When roots and rocks are removed the trail will not remain intact. Don't they get it. They think that the root took them out... wait 'til the giant rut dislocates there shoulder! All the suspension out there and people need to do this? The brake drag is what makes the brake bumps, btw. The shuttle thing is kinda cute.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast