Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

Metalheadbikerider
    Not only are you that guy, but now you're that guy who is trying not to be that guy.
    It's "I," not "i."

Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    lol
    but i want to be faster

& it's "their" not "there"
    not to be 'that' guy
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    At least the dogs do not drag there brakes through every berm.
    Thank you too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugly View Post
    Any update on sandy conditions from weekend? Looking to head over today
    Was pretty great this past weekend as you probably already now know and imagine would of been good enough today as well.

Yes, lots of people/groups of riders on trails with lots of dogs. But, most sadly another lost dog up top looking for his owner at dusk while owner was a couple miles below not having a clue where his dog was when i finally found the owner. Over the years, i have sadly witnessed too many lost dogs running around up top at the end of the day, ownerless that probably never made it back home. This is what peaves me off the most about people bringing their dogs up there. A lot of them take off and get lost.

On a positive note, alot of the turns and burms that were re-worked at last WP are so much better with wider turning radius for people to maintain their speeds better with less braking and overall better design/longevity, especially on FloMo, Lower H&S.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anybody up there in the last day or so? My buddy said it was snow on road to the top and snow out on trails...

I got nothin'
    Was there on Wednesday. Snow on the road, about 2" deep at the top and some deeper spots on the trail. I am thinking that there might be a little more now since it started snowing on my at the end of my ride Wednesday. Nothing that is unrideable though.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Anybody up there in the last day or so? My buddy said it was snow on road to the top and snow out on trails...
    I'll be at thrillium at 12:30, not likely snowed...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    Was there on Wednesday. Snow on the road, about 2" deep at the top and some deeper spots on the trail. I am thinking that there might be a little more now since it started snowing on my at the end of my ride Wednesday. Nothing that is unrideable though.
    snow started around the waterfall next to the road. We went up to rock drop and looked at CBD and decided against it. Rockdrop was pretty lame with the snow, super slow. Broke off to 338 and TTM was great, no snow really. Went to go do HnS but buddy twisted his chain, so we did a chainless run down lower HnS. For all the rain and snow, and less gravel, lower HnS was really really good.

mtbr member
    There was snow on the 24th but I drove by on Christmas and all the snow was gone as it was POURING rain - like harder than I've ever seen it rain in Oregon... so, good luck with that.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    as of the 26th, the road was snow covered from the waterfall to the top with a small trail...almost like singletrack, winding through it. as others mentioned: rock drop was pretty well snow covered and not much fun. lower trails were all still great. after this last weekend though, i imagine it's all pretty snow covered. time for skiing (or boarding if that's your thing)
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

mtbr member
    Anyone care to chime in on conditions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anybody head up today and can give a snow report? Raining up there now I suspect.

Thank you,

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i'm thinking this week & hopefully this weekend should be awesome considering it's supposed to be almost 60 by midweek

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Rode SR today.snow free on all trails.....good ridin.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I live in Bend, OR and it's been super icy/snowy for days and I'm dying to ride. Looks like some blue sky tomorrow coupled with 60deg. weather....I'm hitting the rode in the a.m. and heading towards SR!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cburden View Post
    Rode SR today.snow free on all trails.....good ridin.
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ugh. Rain forecasted for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Maybe it's obvious with the dry weather as of late, but Sandy was exceptional today. I will not be cleaning a drive train before tomorrow's excursion.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    last few days have been making me envious of those who have the opportunity to ride mid-week

here's to hoping the weather holds through tomorrow

or it gets properly cold so i can go ski

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Conditions were great today!!! Tacky dirt with very little puddling. Down tree on flow motion right before the road crossing. Me and another guy built ramps on both sides to get up and over it on the bike. Tree was too heavy to move.

Edit: tree down on hide and seek

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the report! I believe the downed tree is near the end of lower hide n seek, close to the dump out to the road. Use cation

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the report! I believe the downed tree is near the end of lower hide n seek, close to the dump out to the road. Use cation
    Yes, correct. Sorry, got the names mixed

B42
    mtbr member
    Tree was cut by last Friday and dragged out of the way by today. Thanks to whomever cut/drug it. I think several people tried to move it by hand and it was just too heavy.

Lower H&S was super tacky this morning. Logged my fastest trip down to date. It's in great condition and no rain all day today.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    was there yesterday - was awesome sauce
    am amazed at how packed the parking lot is, yet never feels too crowded on the trails

was thiiiiiiiis close to being "sick" today

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    should be a blast tomorrow
    see everyone there !

mtbr member
    Any reports on trail conditions?
    Last edited by broccoli rob; 02-13-2015 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It all good:-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It all good:-)
    It all good wet?

or it all good dry?

mtbr member
    Definitely dry

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Tacky goodness:-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Verified that today. Giggity.

Too Much Fun
    Super good today. Did a bit of everything. Crazy good.

But dry. So dry. Almost absurd for Feb.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i'll go ahead and say 'yes, 60+ & sunny in feb is absurd for our little corner of the world'

but what better way to suffer the crazy weather than a sweet ride
    /bike in shop for tuneup
    /wanted to time it with bad winter weather & just go ski - kinda missed on both counts
    /these come in threes

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    HERO DIRT!!!

Unfortunately some out of town guys we met on the trail had their SUV broken into during their ride. Remember, don't give these creeps a reason to smash and grab.

mtbr member
    Headed there in a couple hours for the first time. Are the trails directional? What's a good route? I've got about 2.5 hours.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just go and follow the crowd. Very straight forward-take road up, ride trails down. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Just go and follow the crowd. Very straight forward-take road up, ride trails down. Have fun!
    And that is the truth. We had a great time.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Did anyone ride there today? Curious about the recent rain...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDweeb View Post
    Did anyone ride there today? Curious about the recent rain...
    Yes, and it was just about perfect. A couple damp spots, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    24hrs from now i get to enjoy the awesome chaos of sandy ridge on a sunny weekend
    hope to see you all there!

mtbr member
    Got out there today starting around 9am with two friends. We were the third or fourth car in the parking lot. Incredible trail conditions, a few wet spots here and there but everything grippy and we were still clean by the time we finished riding. Felt like our timing was perfect as we got slammed by a thunderstorm on the ride home after hitting El Burro Loco for lunch and beers.

Pat got a photo of me on Rock Drop:
    Sandy Ridge-imagejpeg_0-1.jpg

and Jason got a video:
    https://youtu.be/0zkwhKA1Xro
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 04-08-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added photo and link to video

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    if any other slow-climbing bastiches (or gals) care to join me for after work shredding, Thursday evenings bout 5ish to start, seem to be my personal ticket - fast people are of course welcome... I'll wave as you go by. with current sunset times, I manage to do 2 laps on Flow Motion then head to the bottom.

sound good ? hope to see you there, or hear from you here!

mtbr member
    Hoping to hit it up tomorrow. Latest conditions?
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm sure its going to be muddy, maybe even a dusting of snow up top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Any new reports?

mtbr member
    It was good to go today. A tiny bit of snow left in the shadows up top and a few isolated wet spots and puddles on Communication Breakdown and the first bits of follow the leader, but no problem at all. Everything below was progressively dryer. The gravel on lower H&S was almost too dry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sketchy rock and puddles were the name of the game Friday and Saturday, still enjoyable but needs a drying out really. Early Saturday there was snow melting above the kiosk up Communication Breakdown but not below it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Rode awesome today! Rock Drop had the most grip out of all the times I've ridden it Noticed many of the berms are freshly sculpted....a big thanks to the trail fairies! What a banner day
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Rode awesome today! Rock Drop had the most grip out of all the times I've ridden it Noticed many of the berms are freshly sculpted....a big thanks to the trail fairies! What a banner day
    Sounds great! I'll be in Portland this weekend visiting my daughter and have the green light to ride Saturday. Anyone planning on hitting Sandy Ridge? Looks like it's pretty easy to do laps solo but it's always fun to meet like-minded locals to show you all the lines.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Sounds great! I'll be in Portland this weekend visiting my daughter and have the green light to ride Saturday. Anyone planning on hitting Sandy Ridge? Looks like it's pretty easy to do laps solo but it's always fun to meet like-minded locals to show you all the lines.
    if I can get my rear rim back to life after torching it on sunday, you are more than welcome to join me on my loop (rock drop,quid pro,two turn tables,hide n seek & maybe jump trail)

just give me a 1/2 hour head start on the climb up!

HUGE HI FIVE to random helpful people on the trail sunday when I had a flat. just that so many even bothered to ask if I needed help was the best ever, let alone the 2 fellows that actually did when I accepted their kind offer after realizing I was a bad boy scout & not prepared.
    also: big hi five to hard working trail crew/s for recent work!! I promise to join a work crew some day... my only skills are being good at being told what to do.

mtbr member
    Thanks Ted! Let me know if you get things back together.

Next question: Knolly Chilcotin or Santa Cruz 5010? From the reports and vids I've seen, it looks like the 5010 should be plenty of bike for most all the trails there with the exception of some of the boulder field and bigger drops. Does that sound about right? Or are the vids flattening everything out and I should really take the Chilcotin?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Too Much Fun

Sandy Ridge

Next question: Knolly Chilcotin or Santa Cruz 5010?
    The 5010 will be fine IMO, especially if it's your first go at Sandy. There are a few sections where the Chil might be more fun, but overall I'd say 5010.

When are you riding again? I'm going up Thurs for a few laps I think. I'd love company.

EDIT: You're going up on Saturday so you'll have *plenty* of company. The parking lot will be full of friendly folks ready to guide you. I can't do Sat, but have a blast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    decisions, decisions

I've seen folks up there on everything from fully rigid singlespeeds to full blown DH rigs - pushing them up the hill the whole way. either of the bikes you mentioned will do just fine

if you are feeling more XC - there is a trail named Communication Breakdown that is XC-ish - also: Hide & Seek - it's not XC, it's all big roots & rocks - it's only marked as a blue intermediate trail, but I think it's more challenging that that.

if your are wanting more 'feature' type riding (berms , rollers , small drops) then you want to ride Flow Motion, Rock Drop, Quid Pro Flow, Two Turn Tables (I don't make up the names) & there is a jump trail that has some even bigger features (I've heard it called Little Monkey, but I'm not sure)

think my ride should be back to life by Saturday - are you an early riser ? cause I'm not on the weekend; I usually make it around 11 or noon.

mtbr member
    decisions, decisions

I've seen folks up there on everything from fully rigid singlespeeds to full blown DH rigs - pushing them up the hill the whole way. either of the bikes you mentioned will do just fine

if you are feeling more XC - there is a trail named Communication Breakdown that is XC-ish - also: Hide & Seek - it's not XC, it's all big roots & rocks - it's only marked as a blue intermediate trail, but I think it's more challenging that that.

if your are wanting more 'feature' type riding (berms , rollers , small drops) then you want to ride Flow Motion, Rock Drop, Quid Pro Flow, Two Turn Tables (I don't make up the names) & there is a jump trail that has some even bigger features (I've heard it called Little Monkey, but I'm not sure)

think my ride should be back to life by Saturday - are you an early riser ? cause I'm not on the weekend; I usually make it around 11 or noon.
    Thanks for the tips. Hmmm. Yeah it looked like Follow the Leader, QPF, and Rock Drop would be more comfortable on the Chilcotin, but most of the flowy trails would be better on the 5010.

As long as the really rooty, rocky sections aren't too long, drops don't exceed 4-5 feet, and gaps/tables aren't over 12-15' I think I'll be fine on the 5010. I've been really impressed with what it can handle. I rode it all over Moab last week including Ahab, Rockstacker, and Jackson.

OTOH, if the flowy, smoother sections are steep enough generally that it's easy to keep up speed on the Chilcotin, I think it would be fine too. I don't have any problem climbing up with it either.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    there is a rock garden about 50 yards or so on QPF - i always get stuck in the middle cause i never go fast enough, but i've watched skilled kids nail it on 'standard trail bikes'

on Follow the Leader there are bigger rock gardens that are considerably more difficult, from what i hear - that's the only trail i have not done.

mtbr member
    there is a rock garden about 50 yards or so on QPF - i always get stuck in the middle cause i never go fast enough, but i've watched skilled kids nail it on 'standard trail bikes'

on Follow the Leader there are bigger rock gardens that are considerably more difficult, from what i hear - that's the only trail i have not done.
    Thanks. I'm leaving tomorrow morning early so I guess I'll pick one and go. Leaning towards the 5010.

As far as ride time, yes, I'm an early rider. I usually wake up early and the family is usually more likely to sleep in and do stuff in the pm. Sounds like there'll be plenty of folks to "ride" with if you don't want to go early. I'm hoping to be riding by 8:00. I'll check with the wife though and see what the plans are.

Some rain this week then sunny and 70 for Saturday = perfect conditions, no?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i only live half hour away & i'm never there that early, but like the other fellow mentioned, there will be plenty of other folks that should be more than happy to show you around

there are occasional transfer sections that are uphill, but for the most part, once you are on a trail, just go down.

have fun, the dirt should be perfect

Too Much Fun
    I'm hoping to be riding by 8:00. I'll check with the wife though and see what the plans are.

Some rain this week then sunny and 70 for Saturday = perfect conditions, no?
    Yeah, it's going to be freakin' lovely. And if you're on the trail at 8am you'll likely see folks in the lot setting out and very few on the trails. I'm always stunned at how many cars there can be at the bottom yet I see so few folks on the trail.

Have fun and let us know what you think!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    5010. Sandy isn't nearly as big or tech as what your used to in the four corners. Be great to meet & ride with you but I'll be in McKenzie valley for the wknd. We've been getting perfect amounts of rain & weather looks ideal from here on out. Should be good...have fun!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Inspirational dirt

mtbr member
    Inspirational dirt
    Yes it was. Wow! You portlandiers are spoilt. That Sandy Ridge trail system is some fun stuff. I had an awesome time out there yesterday.

Shout out to Jason and Dave who I met at the top of Rock Drop for showing me around the first two loops. I went up one more time on my own and pieced together what I thought was the best descent of the day(maybe one of the finest I've had in a month): FTL to Flowmotion to middle Hide and Seek to Monkey feet. As Guy Fieri would say, "Off the hook!" Wow.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    glad you enjoyed & I love that FtL was your favorite when so many (including myself) avoid it

yesterday was awesome sauce - dirt: as perfect as i can imagine

less awesome sauce: whatever bag of ***** (or vaginas, i'm equal in my scorn) left their dozen or so co2 canisters on the side of the road (the overflow on the side of the road by the deer bones) - you are making us all look bad

mtbr member
    Sounds like you had a great ride too. Sorry we weren't able to connect. FTL is a bit tricky... A couple rocks/boulders that roll out ok and a couple tight, steep switchbacks, but not too bad. I love that kind of tech.

Here's the link showing my route.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/296858960
    Last edited by KRob; 05-08-2015 at 01:02 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Too Much Fun
    20 miles at Sandy Ridge is a healthy ride. Nicely done.

I've only broken 20miles there a few times, usually 14-18miles depending on # of laps.

And yes, FTL is probably my fave. Love the sketchy bits, though I wish the rock gardens had a bit more flow. ...which really means "GO FASTER".
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Anyone ride Sandy today ? I was there late afternoon Saturday and it was pretty sloppy. Hoping it's cleared up some by tomorrow afternoon.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It poured last night so I'm sure is going to be pretty muddy today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    that's the beauty about sandy ridge, as long as you can tolerate getting wet, the trail can tolerate you riding on it

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    status/conditions for tomorrow (Saturday)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    likely splashy as it will be tonight when i get there in a few hours

mtbr member
    I was there 2 days ago and it was on the damp side in spots but all totally rideable.

mtbr member
    Can anyone give a trail report from today ?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    still a tiny bit splashy yesterday but rapidly drying & super kick-ass : highly recommended

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Whos got a trail update? Im planning on going up tomorrow and hitting some Flow Motion and Hide and Seek.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i will in about 12 hours, but i'm guessing it's pretty magical

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone know what the conditions are like at Sandy since it's been raining the last couple of days? Planning to head up there tomorrow morning. Hoping that it's not too muddy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i'd wager sloppy n splashy n fun
    also:
    kudos to those who worked on trails recently

mtbr member
    Came down from Seattle and did the Sandy Ridge Shuttle Festival today. Had a great time.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    where can I find a schedule of upcoming shuttle days?
    gracias

Too Much Fun
    where can I find a schedule of upcoming shuttle days?
    The NWTA calendar is probably the best place. Check their site HERE.

And make sure your membership is current. They help make trails like Sandy Ridge possible.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    thanks

mtbr member
    I haven't been to Sandy ridge since late last summer. Whats up with the land auction? I noticed a sign on the left a short distance up Homestead road. Seems like it would be a sweet piece of property to own.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I saw that too! I don't have the details of the sale. It would pretty amazing if a bike friendly person won that auction and built off of the existing trail system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I was told that western rivers purchased it to preserve the creek for salmon habitat. Hope it's true!
    Last edited by cburden; 06-29-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: misspelled

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rode Sandy yesterday and it's succumb to every other trail I've ridden lately...blown out big time! No big surprise, just got to watch your speed on corners and give yourself some room from riders in front of you for the dust to settle. Blackrock on Friday was equally as bad with its kitty litter parade. We need rain in the worst way

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyPDX View Post
    Rode Sandy yesterday and it's succumb to every other trail I've ridden lately...blown out big time! No big surprise, just got to watch your speed on corners and give yourself some room from riders in front of you for the dust to settle. Blackrock on Friday was equally as bad with its kitty litter parade. We need rain in the worst way
    Have you gone to LL Stub Stewart State Park before? I went yesterday and no dusty berms at all and no gravel on the MTB specific trails. I think that area has held its moisture better than Sandy Ridge. Quite a few miles of rolling XC with some cool features and then they have two awesome freeride trails that you can session really quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    rain on friday actually made it through the canopy and settled the dust on the trails for saturday... that are still super blown out, which must be leading to all the grumpy faces i've seen lately

honestly people, it's ok to smile &/or say howdy to each other

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Strava has ruined SR Inner Ted!

Anybody see any dates yet for trail work at SR coming up? Want to try to make them and start putting that place back together after this extremely dry summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    STRAVA?
    sorry, i'm not hip

i also need to go work up there, i keep threatening to, then never do. it needs some TLC

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hmm, I only encountered friendly folks on Saturday. (Although I myself did scowl at the dude whose off-leash dog was running all over the place and zigzagging the trail, but that's because I've hit several dogs at SR and consistently hear dog owners providing exceptions for themselves when it comes to the safety & enjoyment of other riders on the trail).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You've hit SEVERAL dogs!? Maybe you need to ride more in control. I live next to SR and ride it more than probably most folk and never had one bad dog encounter.
    Last edited by etacata; 08-17-2015 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Can't be good for strava times!

mtbr member
    I only hit dogs that play rap music in the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Maybe it was me that you scowled at JLF...was it on the climb up the road that you encountered this dog? About 9am?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I want to ride with you and enjoy a few frosty ones afterwards. Was the dog a super sweet pit bull JLF?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    what's wrong with rap? or are these dogs also playing poker?

strava seems to suck some of the fun out of it all, but that's just me & i'm slow, so i don't need to keep track

& the frowny faces i met weren't checking their split times, they were just plain grumpy - even when i'd go out of my way to smile, nod & even say 'howdy' was only met with grim blank stares. maybe i smell bad.

as for dogs:
    i like dags.
    but dang people, keep hold of your mutt. i get it, your dog is great. he's really nice. never been another mutt like it. that doesn't mean we are all as enamored with it as you are. furthermore, some of us may not want fido in our laps.
    so unless i call your mutt over, or i go to it sayin something like 'oooo what a sweet dag!" maybe assume that you should control your beast. kthxbai

cheers!

mtbr member
    what's wrong with rap?
    Everything, apparently...

mtbr member
    ****Trail update****

On the lower half of Hide and Seek, there is a down tree crossing the trail that wasn't there as early as last week. It's small enough you could bunny hop over it, but if you're not paying attention there's a branch you could impale yourself on if you were to hit it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't think so Smitty, there was a dog on Turntables, off leash, just being a dog and doing what dogs do: running back and forth, smelling all the neat smells, losing track of his owner, then running up trail to find him. Jumped out at me in the fastest, loosest section of the trail. I scowled at that moron.

Look, I love dogs. They're my favorite kind of pet, hands down.

I also love mountain biking, and I ride fast. And Sandy Ridge is a very special trail system because-- say it with me, dog owners-- it's a GRAVITY BIKE PARK. You ride up the road, you ride down the trail. It's used as an enduro course multiple times every year. That means it's a FAST park. So while you might not be out there to go fast because you want to have an awesome "man & his dog" experience, you're quite often f*cking everything up for other riders.

Why are dogs so different than, say, a small child or a beginner rider, you ask? Because dogs don't behave like mountain bikers when they're on bike trails. They lose their owners constantly. They criss cross the trail while following scents, often backtracking uphill. They can't judge the speed of an approaching bike. The dumber dogs actually run TOWARDS the sound of an approaching bike.

I've hit 4 dogs at Sandy Ridge, 2 pretty hard. All 4 jumped out of the bushes and/or ran AT me as I was riding down at a fast clip. All 4 had owners who called their dogs "silly" or "stupid" when I confronted them. It was apparently their fault that their owners couldn't be bothered to separate dog walking from downhill mountain biking.

I ride fast but I stay in control and I've never had an incident with another human at Sandy, including the clueless family that was posted up in the blind landing of the last jump on TNT-- close call, but I was able to bail and miss them. I've never had a close call with any kids or beginners on trail whatsoever. That's because they are always on trail, traveling in the same direction, instead of flying back and forth through the forest and running in random directions like, you know, dogs.

Etacata, aside from all these points, the bottom line is you shouldn't be telling other riders to slow down so you can enjoy dog walking at a bike park. Sandy Ridge is for downhill mountain biking. There are thousands of miles of trail in the Portland/Hood area that are 100% safe to ride with your dog. Sandy is easily the DUMBEST place you could take your dog. But I get it, it's also the best trail system, and lots of dog owners don't want to inconvenience themselves for the sake of other riders.

mtbr member
    Just saw an announcement from NWTA about a shuttle day at Sandy Ridge in about a month. Saturday, September 26, 2015 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Registration limited to 200, sign up here:

Sandy Ridge Shuttle Day Tickets, Sandy | Eventbrite

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF1200 View Post
    ISandy is easily the DUMBEST place you could take your dog.
    100% agree

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    51% don't agree.

I bring my dog to Sandy every week and never once is he in someone's way. It's a one way trail that once you get moving you shouldn't come across someone else on the trail unless they're pulled over. However, I don't bring him during peak hours or on a demo day...id say that is irresponsible. We go early on weekends or during the day on week days. There are far "dumber" places to bring trail dogs than SR, such as Blackrock, which IS a gravity park with features/stunts, Sandy is a one way trail system. No one should have to make an extreme manuver to avoid my dog or come close to hitting him.

Can dogs be an issue? Sure, they absolutely can. But that's on the owner entirely. Keep moving and only take your tried and true trail dog. I'm only defending my dog and my awareness of others here; the last thing I want to do is ruin somone else's ride, that's why I go early and rarely stop. It's common sense that less seasoned riders haven't picked up on.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 135