Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Were you there in the early afternoon? I passed a rider on climb up road near entrance of Flow Motion around 2pm or so that just stopped there. Not sure if person was waiting for another rider or going to ride FM. Anyhoo, I should of told person that FM was not really rideable right now, but I just kept cruising. Sorry, if that was you.

I had a good ride yesterday (but stayed off FM and lower HnS). Climbed to top of CB twice with good riding on most of all the trails above the bridge. At cut-in on second run I just detoured to road and cruised it down about 1/2 mile to TNT to avoid lower HnS. Was a little painful to drop that bit of elevation on the road that I initially climbed up, but bike and trails were thankful. TNT/Little Monkey was a bit soft in places, but not near as bad as lower HnS (rode it Sat). Got to bottom after +2hrs of non-stop riding with just some wet dirt stuck to underside of down tube. Clothes were clean for the most part. If you stay off FM and lower HnS, good riding can still be had!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    It seems like a board at the bottom kiosk that people could post riding conditions would go a long way.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Metalheadbikerider
    In addition, as a user group we could start taking advantage of this. If we add trail condition updates regularly, we will ideally have all the info we need before we leave the house.

Trail:Sandy Ridge Mountain Bike Area - NWTA Wiki
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    In addition, as a user group we could start taking advantage of this. If we add trail condition updates regularly, we will ideally have all the info we need before we leave the house.

Trail:Sandy Ridge Mountain Bike Area - NWTA Wiki
    Only problem, there is a large percentage of people that don't use these forums, MTBR or NWTA.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I rode up at Sandy today. Good ride once you got halfway up. I bet it was 15 degree warmer on top as soon as I got above the fog. The trails up high are in good shape. Lower H&S still looks mucky. Nice endo on TTM trail Bike is okay!!!

Metalheadbikerider
    Yep, but maybe they would if they were helpful and the word was spread about that usefulness. The NWTA trail wiki could be great.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Conditions change almost daily in the winter. The report would almost need to be a daily one or it would be nearly useless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This could give you an idea of what you would be facing regarding weather in SR --->NOAA/NWS:Brightwood, Oregon

If you didn't have it bookmarked already!
    I drive more when the streets need repairs! -'95 ZJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    This could give you an idea of what you would be facing regarding weather in SR --->NOAA/NWS:Brightwood, Oregon

If you didn't have it bookmarked already!
    Yes can be helpful at times, but not always accurate to current weather/trail conditions. I use this which gives me a better idea of how the trails may be. TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT If the road near Brightood on 26 is wet, then trails are typically wet and potentially sloppy. If dry, then usually can find some good trails to ride condition wise in the trail network.
    Ride On!

Metalheadbikerider
    Agreed. And this would be possible if enough people updated the trail wiki. I think it could be a great tool, if people used it. Not sure how to make that happen.

Metalheadbikerider
    I didn't mean that the trail wiki should take the place of your idea, but rather as an additional resource we could all benefit from.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agreed as well, but those spoiled folks in Bend appear to keep each other informed. Portland area trail conditions... especially during the winter since I believe that a few of "us" get bored and updates would not be a problem.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Metalheadbikerider
    Do you have thoughts on the NWTA trail wiki? It seems much more efficient than having to post on a msg board and wait for a reply. If it got regular traffic it could be pretty effective, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My experience has been that there has never been anything up to date on the NWTA site. Not a complaint...just what I have viewed. Temira's site seems to work well. Personally, I like this board for info, but anything reliable and up to date would be beneficial. I typically will respond to any trail question that I can provide worthwhile information for.

Metalheadbikerider
    Your experience is right on. It is a pretty dead website. I am not familiar with Temira's site. If the Trail Wiki is the best option, I guess we just need to add content and get some traffic flowing that direction. Maybe the people on this msg board are the best way to make that happen?

Too Much Fun

Sandy Ridge

Your experience is right on. It is a pretty dead website. I am not familiar with Temira's site. If the Trail Wiki is the best option, I guess we just need to add content and get some traffic flowing that direction. Maybe the people on this msg board are the best way to make that happen?
    ...agreed, but maybe a laminated message could be posted at the top & bottom kiosks asking riders to please check out the wiki and add trail updates after their rides? Might help wrangle in those riders that don't know about the wiki.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am not familiar with Temira's site.
    The Gorge is my Gym

This is the place for daily info on HR trail conditions (click on "get the forecast"). Speaking of which, apparently our trails are being torn all to hell right now. To some people, I think riding in the mud is viewed as fun, rather than as something that destroys the hard work of dozens of volunteer trail builders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the link. I should have done it myself. Not a fan of the mud ride either. What a waste of bike parts and nice trail.

mtbr member
    Any reports on sandy lately? Or possibly syncline or black rock. Its been a little while since I've been out. Trying to figure out the best bet if I get a chance to go tomorrow. Thanks

mtbr member
    A friend was at Sandy Ridge earlier this week and said it was really good. I could only imagine that it has gotten better since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Any reports on sandy lately? Or possibly syncline or black rock. Its been a little while since I've been out. Trying to figure out the best bet if I get a chance to go tomorrow. Thanks
    Was good with exception of only brief gravel section under the power lines on lower HnS that was freeze/thaw'ish and causing a bit of slop and mess despite mostly being gravel. Everything was good to go minus a few idiots with their dogs on the trails that wouldn't stay with the owner. Had a little rat terrier get in front of me on Two Turntables that was on my front tire that wouldn't budge despite talking to it, slowing down and speeding up that made the fun descent a bit of buzzkill. Please people leave your dogs at home or just stick with the lower beginner trails so Fido doesn't get in people's way on the fun descents.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Went yesterday and it was great. Did CB to TTM and lower H&S. Just the one spot on H&S was a little sloppy like jgusta described. Otherwise pretty amazing for this time of year.

mtbr member

Christmas day:

Conditions were all time.

Sandy Ridge-1477809_10202268598133124_908017978_n.jpg

Sandy Ridge-993809_10202268602453232_1784901147_n.jpg
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice

B42
    mtbr member
    Spent 30 minutes this morning trying to update the NWTA wiki with no luck. Usernames no good on the wiki, can't edit unless I'm a user, can't access page unless admin, etc. etc. Guess I'll have to just do updates here when needed. Current Conditions haven't been updated there since July...

Flow-Motion looked a little soft Friday (didn't ride it). Everything else was great. We haven't had any rain up here in a while, so until the water starts falling again it's only going to get better.

I was actually surprised to see a number of braking bumps filled in from the last time I rode. The trail is in really good condition. The part under the power lines is sloppy, but It's not going down more than a 1-2 inches where it's hitting the pavers or lots of gravel. It is however the only place you will get mud spattered on your face, so that's annoying.

Anyone know why they changed the entrance to TTM? I thought the drop into that was cool, now it's a bit lame/normal when they had done so much work there before.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B42 View Post
    Anyone know why they changed the entrance to TTM? I thought the drop into that was cool, now it's a bit lame/normal when they had done so much work there before.
    I haven't seen the changes yet, but if I had to guess...Everybody was riding around the drop (Filter) anyway and they even tried to block off the go-around but people kept going around anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I thought the drop was still there but they added a ride around since everyone created one anyway.

Too Much Fun

Sandy Ridge

Crazy good conditions today! But damn, I usually ride Sandy at dawn and today I rolled in at 12:30pm to find the lots packed. ...Wow.

Are the "powers that be" taking note of the success of this trail system? And the popularity of our sport?

These numbers don't lie. Mountain biking is gaining momentum again. So great to see.
    - -benja- -

B42
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I thought the drop was still there but they added a ride around since everyone created one anyway.

All kinds of tree limbs, etc. right in the path of the drop into the first turn. All the rocks are still there both that build the lean in, and the runout. The entrance was really rough cut, so maybe we'll just have to wait and see what they're doing when it's finished. If I get back out today I'll take a picture/video.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    I went out yesterday. The drop into TTM was clear and the go around to the left appears open for busienss. I took the go around this time, didn't feel like taking the drop on my rigid SS in front of 15 people, not that I would have done it if they weren't there either.

And I thought I knew the trails pretty well at Sandy Ridge, riding a rigid bike changes everything.

Dirt was perfect yesterday.

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Yep, all clear. Not sure what I was seeing. Flow Motion is also nice. 1-2 water/mud spots. Other than that it was all great riding. The dirt under the power lines is even packed down and dry. Unfortunately, it started raining up here about an hour ago.

mtbr member
    Yep, all clear. Not sure what I was seeing. Flow Motion is also nice. 1-2 water/mud spots. Other than that it was all great riding. The dirt under the power lines is even packed down and dry. Unfortunately, it started raining up here about an hour ago.
    yep, was pretty much primo on NYD. Here's the trail conditions from my ride on FTL and FM that day on film.

Also got me some CB/QPF/TTM/RD/HnS/TNT/LM that day as well. Gots to get it while the getting is good!
    Ride On!

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Thanks for the videos JGusta! Was that you I saw using the chesty for the first time? The videos look great.

Insanity later
    Great Vid's jgusta, You were tearing it up! I just happy when I clean all of FTL.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Great Vid's jgusta, You were tearing it up! I just happy when I clean all of FTL.
    I'm happy when I clean all of 338 and QPF. FTL? Nah, I'll never clean it.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I'm happy when I clean all of 338 and QPF. FTL? Nah, I'll never clean it.
    Don't sell yourself short Dave, since FTL is just the next step up from 338/QPF. My older brother just started riding RD/338 and QPF a couple of months ago and now can ride thru all of FTL with no qualms, just takes a little practice and patience. Helps to follow someone thru as well to see the lines, etc. If you can ride thru rock without much hesitation, then FTL will definitely come and worth keeping at it since it is such a unique trail there with flow once you got it down.
    Ride On!

Too Much Fun

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Don't sell yourself short Dave, since FTL is just the next step up from 338/QPF.
    Agreed, never say never GtheClyde!

Riding with others is so key to unlocking new terrain. I'd also add riding with flats some of the time, and also focusing on specific areas work on (skills-wise). Sometimes changing things up can be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Technical riding is one of the things that first attracted me to the MTB in the first place 1000 years ago, but back then that meant full-rigid bikes and slow, stock trials riding. Now with today's bikes technical riding can mean completely different experiences depending on bike, terrain etc.

I love this sport.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post

Riding with others is so key to unlocking new terrain. I'd also add riding with flats some of the time, and also focusing on specific areas work on (skills-wise). Sometimes changing things up can be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Technical riding is one of the things that first attracted me to the MTB in the first place 1000 years ago, but back then that meant full-rigid bikes and slow, stock trials riding. Now with today's bikes technical riding can mean completely different experiences depending on bike, terrain etc.

I love this sport.
    Word up Benja, as today's "trail bikes" keep gettting better and better, making it more possible to do more things. I find it is just easier to ride harder terrain with them due to more aggro geometry and better suspension, components, etc. And doesn't hurt that trails being built these days are much better as well, unless just raw backcountry singletrack is your thing, which I love a lot too!
    Ride On!

mtbr member

As of 1/06/14

Conditions were amazing, the middle part of Hide n Seek is pretty shitty in the open part still. But upper Hide n Seek is rad!

DFY
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post

I love this sport.
    i'd also like to give this a thumb's up

having ridden sandy ridge only 6-8 times & on my 14 year old hardtail, i'm beyond excited to take my new Bandit 27.5 there (once it's built - i've waited almost 15 years, what's another couple weeks - can't wait to show it off here!)

are there group rides that happen up there (that include fat slow guys like me?)

cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sandy Ridge in january!!!

Rode Sandy Ridge today. Place was packed, sky was blue and trails were prime. Rode Little Monkey Jump, Follow the Leader, Flow Motion and Lower Hide & Seek. FTL is tough, technical as hell in some spots. FM is real fun, berms are sick. Here's a couple pics:Sandy Ridge-image.jpg Sandy Ridge-image.jpg Sandy Ridge-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was one of the masses there yesterday too!! Got to ride my new bike & it was awesome! Felt like spring up there.

new bike + awesome trail + amazing weather = thumbs up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobeez View Post
    Rode Sandy Ridge today. Place was packed, sky was blue and trails were prime. Rode Little Monkey Jump, Follow the Leader, Flow Motion and Lower Hide & Seek. FTL is tough, technical as hell in some spots. FM is real fun, berms are sick. Here's a couple pics: (snip)
    Great pics!

Yesterday the trails were awesome. The weather was warm and there were plenty people to ride and hang out with. Despite that, I'm always surprised how Sandy never feels really crowded.

B42
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    Great pics!

Yesterday the trails were awesome. The weather was warm and there were plenty people to ride and hang out with. Despite that, I'm always surprised how Sandy never feels really crowded.
    I've ridden a few times in Phil's in Bend when there were very few cars in the parking lot (week day) and it felt like we (my wife and I) were constantly seeing people/groups of people. As we were talking about it we realized that most of them were going the other direction. Directional trails make for a pleasant experience and the illusion that you are alone in the woods when really there are people everywhere. Maybe with all of the comments regarding this phenomena at SR we will see more riding areas adopt this directional control.

I think I'll make a lunch run there today.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Sandy Ridge

I've ridden a few times in Phil's in Bend when there were very few cars in the parking lot (week day) and it felt like we (my wife and I) were constantly seeing people/groups of people. As we were talking about it we realized that most of them were going the other direction. Directional trails make for a pleasant experience and the illusion that you are alone in the woods when really there are people everywhere. Maybe with all of the comments regarding this phenomena at SR we will see more riding areas adopt this directional control.

I think I'll make a lunch run there today.
    Except SR is mtb specific and basically a downhill system, though I can not remember seeing signage saying the trails are one way.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Except SR is mtb specific and basically a downhill system, though I can not remember seeing signage saying the trails are one way.
    True. Several trails there are not directional, but everyone rides them that way for safety and practicality. I do know a few people who climb H&S, but they only do it if they get there at 6 a.m. and head up before anyone else might be on the trails.

But, I do like the idea of directional trail systems whether up or down. Phils Trail network in Cortez Colorado is remarkably similar to Bend's system, but has far more directional trails. As a result, you do see far fewer people on the trails and there are almost no complaints about riders going too fast which seems to be a constant source of irritation in Bend.

Metalheadbikerider
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The trail maps have "recommended" directions of travel for every trail. Funny, I have been discussing this concept with a couple of different groups lately. Should the old IMBA rule to always yield to the climbing rider apply? What if they are going against the recommended direction? I, for one, think that this "rule" needs to be revisitied for mtb-specific trail networks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The trail maps have "recommended" directions of travel for every trail. Funny, I have been discussing this concept with a couple of different groups lately. Should the old IMBA rule to always yield to the climbing rider apply? What if they are going against the recommended direction? I, for one, think that this "rule" needs to be revisitied for mtb-specific trail networks.
    I couldn't agree more. The IMBA bike v. bike yield to uphill rider approach is one "rule" that I've never liked. Not because people should be free to ride out of control downhill, but because there's no sense in giving anyone the ROW because its situationally dependent. If I could set the rules, I'd do it as follows"
    - Undesignated trails - No ROW. Everyone is required to be prepared to yield at any time. Use common courtesy as a guide. The vast majority of riders are very capable of quickly assessing who has the easiest yield (regardless of direction) and taking it. What is frustrating with the current rule is to be on a downhill and come up on someone doing the uphill where they have the very clear and easy option to slide over in a wide spot to let you by, only they invoke the uphill ROW rule and you have to come to a complete stop and pull your bike off the trail.

Recommended Directional: That direction gets the ROW, but both directions are permitted.

Directional: No traffic allowed in the opposite direction.

Easy Examples:
    Bend/Phils - Whoops/North Fork (one way like it is); Funner/Tiddlywinks/Farewell/South Fork (recommended descents); Everything else no recommendation, but you could decide to put in a few recommended up trails if some folks really want to hold on to their uphill ROW.

Sandy - Everything but H&S and communication breakdown downhill only. H&S recommended down. Communication breakdown (recommended east to west).

Road 44 - Knebal/15 mile (recommended counterclockwise); Dog River (recommended down); High Prairie (recommended down); everything else no ROW.

Metalheadbikerider
    Perfectly said. Regarding the no ROW idea on Undesignated Trails: Today on the radio I heard about an elementary school in New Zealand that did away with all playground rules, with the exception of the obvious (no kicking the sh!t out of each other). The results? Less behavior problems and incidents to the point that they now use less teachers to supervise. Problem behaviors went down. I guess the point is that if we allow ourselves to rely less on rules and more on common courtesy, trust, and respect, we may just be better off.

Insanity later
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post

Sandy - Everything but H&S and communication breakdown downhill only. H&S recommended down. Communication breakdown (recommended east to west).
    Funny. I was going to correct your suggestion on Communication Breakdown, then realized East - West is in fact how it's always ridden. Man it's strange how you can lose your bearings so easily when riding.

I've never ridden CB in the other direction but bet it would be fun. One buddy of mine rode Sandy for the first time, and turned around half way up CB as he was sure he was going the wrong way based on all those "sweet berms"

Great sensible suggestions BTW.....

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast