Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post

is there a better map?
    Why? What's wrong with this map? It shows all the currently open lines.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I'm kind of in awe of how good Sandy Ridge is at this point. It packs so much goodness in to what seems to me a pretty modest footprint and keeps getting better. Send in those NWTA memberships people!

On a crappier note, Did anyone else notice some horse damage to lower HS & Laura's Loop? This was on 4/27 in the AM. I'm cool with equestrians in general, but damn if that animal didn't punch pretty major holes into the trail!
    A buddy ran into him on the trail. He got all aggressive with his horse. Total asshat.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    In the market for some new tires and I ride sandy quite a bit. Have been running kenda nevegal 2.35 for years and looking to try something new. Any suggestions? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm addicted to big betty rear muddy mary front. Not the fasted combo on earth but faster than nevegals, and I have too much traction at times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    im have been running the maxxis high roller II and really like the aggressive tread pattern, they hook up very well. I to was a nevagal rider for years. Ill be running hr 2's from now on.

cb

Delay

Sandy Ridge

I was rocking the Nevegal in 2.35 on my Reign X. I decided to branch out and now I'm running the Maxxis Minion DHF 3C in a 2.5 up front and Maxxis HighRoller 3C 2.5 in the rear. I really really like this combo. In my opinion they roll faster and grip better than the Nevegals.

I will say the Nevegals rounder profile made them a little more predictable in the corners. Even though the Minion has a slightly more square profile I'm still able to practically drag a knee before I slide out. I'll be buying my current setup again.

My bike is setup as a gravity build but I was considering entering the next enduro race in Camas and trying the Ardent in a 2.35.

Edit: A couple buddies just got back from Camas. They said its balls out fast and mostly downhill. I'll be keeping Minions and HighRollers on.
    Last edited by Delay1234; 06-09-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on.

mtbr member
    It looks like the new trails at Sandy Ridge open this weekend.

Bike Portland article

Looking forward to checking them out.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've been riding this trail for a little while now and fallow the leader is pretty cool. I am wondering if they did something with the bolder field at the end of follow the leader. Last time I rode the trail that section was still unridable unless you are a trials rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I've been riding this trail for a little while now and fallow the leader is pretty cool. I am wondering if they did something with the bolder field at the end of follow the leader. Last time I rode the trail that section was still unridable unless you are a trials rider.
    I just got back from there and rode it for the first time. Yes, it is officially open and have to say my new favorite trail in the area, or the whole NW for that matter (minus BC). The trail was all rideable with nice, natural tech features throughout with connector flow in between to keep the speed and momentum going. Such a unique trail that challenges and flows at the same time. I feel these trails ("Follow the Leader" and "Flow Motion") captures the best parts of Sandy trails all on one continuous section while highlighting the natural features of the terrain, thus having a BC backcountry trail feel to it. I can't wait to ride it again and will be the first thing I do when I get back to town after the 4th. Triple thumbs up Ant-Farm and other trail builders! Love this trail!
    Ride On!

ronbo613
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I just got back from there and rode it for the first time. Yes, it is officially open and have to say my new favorite trail in the area, or the whole NW for that matter (minus BC). The trail was all rideable with nice, natural tech features throughout with connector flow in between to keep the speed and momentum going. Such a unique trail that challenges and flows at the same time. I feel these trails ("Follow the Leader" and "Flow Motion") captures the best parts of Sandy trails all on one continuous section while highlighting the natural features of the terrain, thus having a BC backcountry trail feel to it. I can't wait to ride it again and will be the first thing I do when I get back to town after the 4th. Triple thumbs up Ant-Farm and other trail builders! Love this trail!
    100% agree. Sandy Ridge is the best trail system in the PacNW. Don't waste time and gas going anywhere else. Get on it!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    100% agree. Sandy ridge is the best trail system in the pacnw. Don't waste time and gas going anywhere else. Get on it!
    g.o.f.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Finally got up to Sandy Ridge on Saturday to check out the new trails. I think it's safe to say that "Follow the Leader" may be the best 1.5 miles in the area (NE Oregon SW Washington). I wasn't able to clean the whole trail in one shot, but with the exception of the ultra long rocky section, I cleaned it all with multiple tries on multiple laps. That long rocky section is going to give me trouble for some time, but it kicks butt. I love how challenging this trail is with not much commitment.

The berms on Flow Motion are huge.

A few things that amaze me about Sandy Ridge...

The parking lot was overflowing on Saturday with a dozen or so more cars parked at Homestead Rd, but I saw very few people on the trails. It amazes me how the trail system absorbs the number of people so well.

The guys building the trails kick butt, "Follow the Leader" and "Flow Motion" ride like they've been there for at least a season or two. This also goes for all the trails that have been built over the years.

The kids were out too. It's pretty cool watching them rip down the trails.

And the Foxglove is really nice along the road right now.

Tactical Nightmare
    Just a quick post on Sandy Ridge, as I rode it for the first time on Saturday with a buddy of mine. Wow! What a cool trail system! We managed to get in:

- Rock Drop
    - Quid Pro Flow
    - Two Turntables and a Microwave
    - Flow Motion
    - Three Thirty Eight
    - Hide and Seek

Sure, we missed a couple of the good ones like Follow the Leader, but we got a later start than we had hoped, and the heat kind of got us. But I will say, these trails are top notch and a perfect blend of man-made flow and natural, gnarly technical. Not sure which was my favorite, but I sure enjoyed the rock gardens on Two Turntables and Rock Drop, and the flow and fun of upper and lower Hide and Seek.

There were also some really cool people there for sure. We are lucky in our sport to have awesome people to meet while out on the trails. My buddy and I hadn't ridden there before, and there were a couple of places that we had questions about what we should ride, and everyone was more than helpful in pointing us the right way and giving us a good description of what to expect on the trail. Now I just want to find a way to upgrade my Anthem 29er to something with a bit more travel!

Loved it! Way to go BLM and IMBA! A perfect example of what can be done with the right people, orgainzations and land involved.

Somebody above asked about a better map, but the one linked is older. Try this one with the newer updates to it:
    http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...ap2013_508.pdf
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Don't bother with Flow Motion...The flow is gone from all the brake bumps. I assume this one will eventually get covered in gravel.

Also, About halfway down Upper Hide and Seek there's a root that somebody hacked up a season or two ago. Should this be cut out or just leave it? It would have been nice if it would have been left alone. It's not a huge deal, but it's kind of a mess now.

The dirt was rad today.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 08-11-2013 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Personally I don't think trail features should ever be sanitized. In my opinion if there is an obstacle that gives you problems either learn how to ride it or walk your bike. There will always be a better rider out there that enjoys that particular feature. The root you are talking about was cool till it got chopped up. Even now I think it adds something to the trail. There is enough groomed super smooth trails at sandy already.

mtbr member
    Don't worry, I'm not going to mess with it. It seems to be more of a spring board than a technical trail feature.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wasn't saying you yourself would mess with it, I was just talking in general.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Don't bother with Flow Motion...The flow is gone from all the brake bumps...

...Also, About halfway down Upper Hide and Seek there's a root that somebody hacked up a season or two ago..
    its a shame that the Flow trail is basically shot now....glad I got several laps in before the demise. I said it once and I'll say it again - people should really learn how to ride and when to use the brakes.

The chopped out root has been a pisser for sure - used to pop you up and over it no worries, now its either bunny hop it completely or thread the chop gap. Same with the ride arounds created at both the entrance to Two Turntables and the narrow tree step-up root gap climbing out of quid pro...instead of changing it and dumbing it down - how bout you stay the heck away from it until you can actually ride the feature???

Its a double edged sword. We want and need nearby riding, its now been built and spoon fed to us. They've built the parking and facilities and encourage massive use - which its getting. Large % of begginer to rookie riders in places they have no idea how to ride - except ride the brakes and skid your way through the berms. The bikes have almost gotten too good - easy to find yourself in way over your head because the bike has no problem getting there. I don't know what the real answer is - but that place is going to need some serious full time trail maintenance help and the gravel bandaid aint gonna do it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    One of my buddies hit a "gravel bandaid " on Lower H&S at high speed, he's veteran rider, been on the bike 15 years, bu that gravel patch got the better of him and down he went, had to get hauled out via ambulance.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Sandy Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch McGee View Post
    One of my buddies hit a "gravel bandaid " on Lower H&S at high speed, he's veteran rider, been on the bike 15 years, bu that gravel patch got the better of him and down he went, had to get hauled out via ambulance.
    I have gone down hard on the SR gravel, too. Total marbles when the trails dry out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I've thought about taking a broom up there and sweeping the gravel off of the trail. Anybody interested in heading up there one day this week in the evening? Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday works for me. I have 7-8 push brooms if you don't have one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I tried to argue against the use of the 3/4 minus back when they put it on. What a colossal stupid idea! I've never seen it work on a MTB trail and it will never go away.

what the quan?!
    Hit up some Sandy today. It's been a year since I've been up there. Destroyed the shiz outta my hand up there last year on the second rock garden on Quid. Lame, freak accident going like 3mph. bleh. Killed my whole summer. Anyhow, hit up the new trails today. Follow the Leader, hot damn, that trail is awesomely hardcore. Came close to clearing it all, but that big rock jetting out thing definitely had me stepping off. Crazy. Flow mo was quite fun too. Definitely beat to hell though. Wish I had done it a month ago! Went back up and hit up the others to come all the way back down; pretty decent condition from what I remember.

The lot was exceedingly full with tons of overflow up and down the road. Only came across a few riders a hand full of times coming down. The place has definitely grown over the past few years.

Another month and it's adios PNW. Definitely going to miss this trail network.
    Last edited by dangdang; 08-25-2013 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    wow, i posted a while ago about getting that damn gravel off the trails and i got blasted for it. Glad to see others feel the same way about that crap.

I think 90% of all trails in area are blown out. Dosent matter if there are beginner riders riding the trails or not. there is no moisture.

Cant WAIT to see how destroyed everything gets after the enduro. anyone want to take a bet up to see if the OES does any trail work when the rain comes back. I am taking the no side. Or i would love to hear that they donated enough to cover the cost of the repairs to ALL the trail networks that they bomb.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast