Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    so is it a total mudfest? i only have two days left to play then it's back to work.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    first time riding there. pretty fun. there was a gazillion people, but from what i understand if the parking lot isn't full it's not busy.

Sandy Ridge-photo-2-.jpg
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

Metalheadbikerider
    yes
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I plan on being near Sandy Ridge (Welches) for a work thing at the end of the month, I'm hoping for a good ride but does anyone have suggestions for good MTB trails besides Sandy Ridge I could do in that area? I'm most likely going to be solo (no shuttle, no group) if that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    it was super awesome over the weekend & it's not supposed to rain much - should be ta - ta's

side note: i popped my rock drop cherry - with mad no skillz - kinda rolled it - kinda manualled it - just glad i didn't go down in a heap.

my new bike is very forgiving

other side note: i have a hard time letting go of my brakes completely in the berm sections - my shame

gotta have goals
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    I plan on being near Sandy Ridge (Welches) for a work thing at the end of the month, I'm hoping for a good ride but does anyone have suggestions for good MTB trails besides Sandy Ridge I could do in that area? I'm most likely going to be solo (no shuttle, no group) if that makes a difference.
    Search for the Pioneer Bridal Trail, the lower TH is just up the road from Welches. Due to snow, I'm not sure how far up the trail you'll be able to ride.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Salmon river trail is a decent xc (fairly short though). South of welches. Should be able to find in All trails or anything like that for hiking. Bikes are ok on the west side of the road.

Lots of hiking around if you want a break from the pedals.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by B42 View Post
    Lots of hiking around if you want a break from the pedals.

Never!

I'll check out salmon river though

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think there is a Work Party for SR next saturday. Im going to see if i can get some hours in before i have to go to work that day. Hope to see a mass of helpers there!

chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I *was* planning on riding SR tomorrow but this storm has hit Portland proper fairly hard. Just curious if anyone could comment on the rainfall out there today. Not that interested in riding slop or beating up the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF1200 View Post
    I *was* planning on riding SR tomorrow but this storm has hit Portland proper fairly hard. Just curious if anyone could comment on the rainfall out there today. Not that interested in riding slop or beating up the trail.
    The tread was great until around 11 am. The riders that got back to the parking area after that were mud covered.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    it was killer early on today

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Think I'll head out later today for an afternoon ride. SR drains pretty well. Would love a conditions report from anyone who hit it this morning...

mtbr member
    We have a group coming up from Corvallis tomorrow (Sunday, May 10th). How do conditions look?

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

It's been pouring rain for two days up here. It does look like we could get a break this evening and tomorrow. You could be dry, but the trail will still be very wet.

The only trail I've seen that needs to be avoided when it's this wet is Flow Motion.

Bring mud flaps and wear old socks!
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    it was awesome yesterday
    very little mud & lots of sun & fun
    i bet you had a good time too

mtbr member
    We had a blast. I got in a bit earlier than the rest of my group and spent about half the day trying to find them or wait for them or got cold and did another lap down and back up to the top.

Pedaled to the top and did FTL then lapped up and did CB/QPF/338/TTT and out to the road. Back to the top again and did a quick lap of Rock Drop (I rode around the actual drop). Finally found my group where 338 meets Hide'N'Seek. The 8 of us did the rest of Hide'N'Seek with a side trip over to Flow Motion. It was about 18 miles for me and about 8 for them.

Loved the differences in the trails, especially the rocks, compared to what we have here. The whole trail system is quite a scene, so many happy people out there, everyone very friendly and stoked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i attached myself to a group about that size yesterday from rock drop (did the drop for the second time, not well, but did it) through TTT (hit a sweet little drop about half way down) to the bottom of HS then back up to Little Monkey - which i avoided the main jumps while watching a few of them really air it out - then rode the rest of it... it's a wild chaos of trail & jumps

good times

mtbr member
    So What's up with the changes made toward the bottom of Lower Hide and Seek? It looks like a bunch of 14 year old kids were out putting jumps in the middle of the trail. IMO, the changes definitely suck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    So What's up with the changes made toward the bottom of Lower Hide and Seek? It looks like a bunch of 14 year old kids were out putting jumps in the middle of the trail. IMO, the changes definitely suck.
    I totally agree. I assume its the work done at the last work party.
    The new changes don't seem thought out at all and really lack a sense of flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    The added features don't fit into what I've come to expect from the builders at Sandy Ridge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    It is because you and OldHouseMan were not there in the pouring rain to grace us with your expert trail building skills...

mtbr member
    No, I didn't attend the work party, and I'm doubtful my opinion or lousy trail building skills would have changed much.

I really liked that lower section of Lower Hide Seek before the changes. It was high speed and really flowed well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    No, I didn't attend the work party, and I'm doubtful my opinion or lousy trail building skills would have changed much.

I really liked that lower section of Lower Hide Seek before the changes. It was high speed and really flowed well.
    Asking for a constructive opinion. What exactly don't you like about it? I will agree that the larger bumps in the straight before the last big right hand corner prior to the road crossing did not turn out well. Other than that, many berms were improved or repaired and drainage work was done over the last two work parties. The majority of that work turned out great. Don't forget, the tread will need time to harden and speed up again.

mtbr member
    The berms don't bother me. There were a few that didn't ride well but I'm sure over time they'll get ridden in. My gripe is with the smaller doubles that were put in toward the bottom. For me at least, they don't ride well and interrupt what was a fast and fun section of trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm very far from an experienced trail builder but I have attended a few build days. I thought the berm work and drainage work all looked good and just needs ridden in. The really small sharp doubles just didn't ride well. I think once they wear down a bit and become more rounded they will just be another section to manual through. Maybe the larger bumps before the last right corner should have been spaced differently or made longer and not so short and steep? I appreciate all the work done out there recently and when its done by volunteers you cant expect everyone to know what they are doing and please everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nw youth corps and some imba folks were up doing trail work the last few days. Adding some flair to the lower trails and I think the novice loop around the parking lot.......Thanks people!

Road SR today, rained most of the time and pretty muddy but trails are in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    rode sandy twice over the holiday and have the following observations:

btw: I'm a terrible creature of habit, so I tend to ride the same route (rock drop / ttt / lower h&s

the dirt is great & the upkeep in areas is appreciated. the new and sort of odd rollers at lower h&s are ... well they are odd. granted, I'm just some novice, but they seem out of place, like the building crew had an extra load of gravel and left if there for a future plan. no big deal, just an observation.

another observation: grumpy kids on the trail. I'm not saying you have to make out with me or call me 'bro', but a slight acknowledgement of your fellow human wouldn't be out of line. some serious "too cool for school" kids up there recently, and it gives me a sad face.

last observation - maybe more of a question: when I catch up to someone on the downhill, I kind of cruise along until they pull over... then I go past with a wave and a "thanks"

however, a few times lately I've had fast fellows behind me get mighty impatient. to them I'd like to say: chill bra' , I'm just trying to find a safe spot to pull over so you can continue your race...your grumpy-ness isn't helping.

l8r sk8rs

mtbr member
    I only ride Sandy about twice a year so I don't recall the before and after of the berms/jumps/humps that seem to be so controversial. What I do know is that after riding Flow Motion, all other berms/jumps/humps on the entire trail system should be deemed pointless and irrelevant.

Maybe its because I'm more of an XC rider and lack the proper skill for the AM/flow/hucking stuff, but after riding Follow the Leader and Flow Mo, all of the other trails/berms/descents just feel poorly constructed. Everyone complains and bashes less experienced riders for creating braking bumps on the berms, but how on earth can anyone go down the Turntable trail wide open without scrubbing some speed into those berms? I find I'm hitting 20mph on that trail, and the radius of those berms seem far too small to handle that kind of speed. Leader has a lot of well placed natural speed checks (rocks, rocks, and more rocks) and most of the berms on Flow Mo are robust enough to take at or near full speed. It also seems like the speed checks and fuller berms are going to wear down a lot slower than those super fast mini-berms on other trails. After experiencing these two new trails I'm probably going to exceed my twice a year quota.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    how on earth can anyone go down the Turntable trail wide open without scrubbing some speed into those berms? I find I'm hitting 20mph on that trail, and the radius of those berms seem far too small to handle that kind of speed.
    Scrubbing speed doesn't cause braking bumps, but slamming on the brakes does -- especially when riding hardtails, (according to the rental shop at Ski Bowl). It's a common behavior of less experienced descenders. That's why the extra resentment exists, I think. Anyway, all but perhaps one of those berms is tall enough to handle fairly quick speed if ridden high enough. Tires shouldn't be breaking loose much, maybe just drifting a little bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What I do know is that after riding Flow Motion, all other berms/jumps/humps on the entire trail system should be deemed pointless and irrelevant.
    The other thing to consider is that as the trails have evolved - so have the trail building skills. Some of the original lines need an update for sure - the 1st berms are nowhere near the quality of the new stuff, but are still fun as sh!t to ride. Are there some tight berms on TT's? sure, but they can be railed through with a little practice - just keep riding them. If you really want to see where trial building is headed - load your stuff up and blast down to the new Alsea Falls system between Corvallis and Eugene. Only one real line in right now but easily one of if not the best purpose built flow MTB trails in the state. Imagine if Flow Motion was even flowy-er and ran the length of the entire Upper / Lower Hide n Seek...that's what you've got there. Taking nothing away from the work, trails and killer riding we have at Sandy - just pointing out what else is out there for comparison. It's a pretty freaking awesome time to be a mountain biker for sure - huge thanks to all the trail gnomes.

Only other thing to add re: the additional pump bumps and jumps built in - not so sure about the wisdom of including them on the little feeder trail to the main lower gate at Sandy out of the parking lot. It's created a near full on jump line in both directions and that is the last little route to get to the gate. I predict a collision or two. It's way fun though......

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    try as i might, i can rarely (or never) let go of the brakes completely around the turns on TTT

i tip my cap to those that can

i did finally start clearing the little doubles on rock drop - sure haul ass when i do it properly and land on the back side instead of casing it on the flat part

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Only other thing to add re: the additional pump bumps and jumps built in - not so sure about the wisdom of including them on the little feeder trail to the main lower gate at Sandy out of the parking lot. It's created a near full on jump line in both directions and that is the last little route to get to the gate. I predict a collision or two. It's way fun though......
    It's a mini pump track to build skill - they put it there so you don't even have to pedal (either direction) if you do it right. I'm surprised at the lack of understanding that section gets with the rise of pump track popularity these days and I rarely see anyone riding it correctly either. The ones complaining about it are usually the XC racer/roadie types.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I guess I've been mislead, I've always heard that any braking will ruin a berm. But I suppose the theory could be that if an advanced rider has to use brakes, a novice will likely use too much brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    It's a mini pump track to build skill - they put it there so you don't even have to pedal (either direction) if you do it right. I'm surprised at the lack of understanding that section gets with the rise of pump track popularity these days and I rarely see anyone riding it correctly either. The ones complaining about it are usually the XC racer/roadie types.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I doubt there is any confusion as to what it is or how to use it. The perplexing part is that its bi-directional and extremely congested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I doubt there is any confusion as to what it is or how to use it. The perplexing part is that its bi-directional and extremely congested.
    Zero confusion about what it is or how to use it. My point was about its placement in the one section of trail between the parking lot signage and the lower gate - its just an access point, it is bi directional and congested. To be fair I haven't ridden the entire parking lot loop since the work was done and don't know if the rest of it has been converted to to pump track style - but I think that would be awesome. Anybody on the little feeder is coming and or going to the actual trails and will likely have a handle on rolling bumps and use of the backside transitions on said bumps. I personally wouldn't consider this an appropriate section for "skills" building since the entire loop around the lot was supposed to be for that? The pump bumps are large and you can now generate considerable no peddle speed to the point that for me at least I have to either speed up or slow down because it sure feels like the bumps are close enough together that they will be turned into doubles style jumps - probably more of a problem on the way back since anyone coming out of the trails is still in downhill trail mode and it generally wont stop if presented with more fun sh!t to fly up off and over, where you will encounter someone just leaving the lot all mellow and not already adrenaline firing. I personally appreciate all of it and will use it to its fullest, I just hope everybody is paying attention on the way in and out because the way it is now there is elevated potential for rider collision.

mtbr member
    Visibility is great on that section so I really don't see it ever being a problem. Then again, I avoid that place like the plague on weekends so maybe it has more traffic issues than I'm aware of.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

JHH
    mtbr member
    Heading up to your fine state visiting friends and trail heads. Sandy is on the list and I'm looking for suggestions for intermediate level loops in the 5-8 mi range with about 1000-1200' of elevation. Nothing to steep going up as that sucks all the life out of my wife's asthmatic lungs. Thanks.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I guess I've been mislead, I've always heard that any braking will ruin a berm. But I suppose the theory could be that if an advanced rider has to use brakes, a novice will likely use too much brake.
    Well, if you're braking *in the berm* you're doing it wrong no matter how softly you brake. Entering those berms, sure, scrubbing speed makes sense and you won't really damage the trail. The frowned upon behavior is locking/skidding, which is what causes all those holes just ahead of the berms to form in the dry months. There's really nothing steep enough at Sandy to justify locking up a wheel. That said, quite a few of the berms at Sandy are just poorly designed: too shallow and/or have a decreasing radius. They pretty much force most riders to slam on the brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Zero confusion about what it is or how to use it. My point was about its placement in the one section of trail between the parking lot signage and the lower gate - its just an access point, it is bi directional and congested. To be fair I haven't ridden the entire parking lot loop since the work was done and don't know if the rest of it has been converted to to pump track style - but I think that would be awesome. Anybody on the little feeder is coming and or going to the actual trails and will likely have a handle on rolling bumps and use of the backside transitions on said bumps. I personally wouldn't consider this an appropriate section for "skills" building since the entire loop around the lot was supposed to be for that? The pump bumps are large and you can now generate considerable no peddle speed to the point that for me at least I have to either speed up or slow down because it sure feels like the bumps are close enough together that they will be turned into doubles style jumps - probably more of a problem on the way back since anyone coming out of the trails is still in downhill trail mode and it generally wont stop if presented with more fun sh!t to fly up off and over, where you will encounter someone just leaving the lot all mellow and not already adrenaline firing. I personally appreciate all of it and will use it to its fullest, I just hope everybody is paying attention on the way in and out because the way it is now there is elevated potential for rider collision.
    this is well said and should be repeated

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF1200 View Post
    Well, if you're braking *in the berm* you're doing it wrong no matter how softly you brake. Entering those berms, sure, scrubbing speed makes sense and you won't really damage the trail. The frowned upon behavior is locking/skidding, which is what causes all those holes just ahead of the berms to form in the dry months. There's really nothing steep enough at Sandy to justify locking up a wheel. That said, quite a few of the berms at Sandy are just poorly designed: too shallow and/or have a decreasing radius. They pretty much force most riders to slam on the brakes.
    so i don't just suck?
    cause based on how fast i've seen some people go, i think i just kinda suck

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    Heading up to your fine state visiting friends and trail heads. Sandy is on the list and I'm looking for suggestions for intermediate level loops in the 5-8 mi range with about 1000-1200' of elevation. Nothing to steep going up as that sucks all the life out of my wife's asthmatic lungs. Thanks.
    rock drop / quid pro flow / two turntables / lower hide n seek

-seems to be the preferred route by many (including myself & it seems to be all i ever ride cause i'm a creature of habit & will likely be doing it again tomorrow)
    can be ridden pretty tame but gets more fun & exciting the faster you go.
    you can mix in 'communication breakdown' if you want more climbing

have fun!

JHH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    rock drop / quid pro flow / two turntables / lower hide n seek

-seems to be the preferred route by many (including myself & it seems to be all i ever ride cause i'm a creature of habit & will likely be doing it again tomorrow)
    can be ridden pretty tame but gets more fun & exciting the faster you go.
    you can mix in 'communication breakdown' if you want more climbing

have fun!
    Thanks Inner Ted. How is the climb up Homestead to Flow Motion?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks Inner Ted. How is the climb up Homestead to Flow Motion?
    long, boring & steep. if you make it that far, you've made it about 2/3 of the way to the top. flow motion is a lot of fun, but it's not exactly for beginners (not sure where you and your lady fit in the spectrum)

there are 2 cut-ins to Lower Hide & Seek (smooth & flowy, great for beginners but can be fun for everyone by going faster) from the paved climb.

the first cut in is on the left (as you're climbing) under the power lines
    the second cut in to Lower Hide & Seek is at the half way point of the Homestead climb. it also is on the left (as you climb) & there is a helpful sign too. this is also the exit point of Flow Motion

hope that is helpful

JHH
    mtbr member
    long, boring & steep. if you make it that far, you've made it about 2/3 of the way to the top. flow motion is a lot of fun, but it's not exactly for beginners (not sure where you and your lady fit in the spectrum)

there are 2 cut-ins to Lower Hide & Seek (smooth & flowy, great for beginners but can be fun for everyone by going faster) from the paved climb.

the first cut in is on the left (as you're climbing) under the power lines
    the second cut in to Lower Hide & Seek is at the half way point of the Homestead climb. it also is on the left (as you climb) & there is a helpful sign too. this is also the exit point of Flow Motion

hope that is helpful
    That's very helpful. We have solid skills but ride more XC style then chunky gnar flare as we don't mend like we used too. My wife has asthma so I look for easier climbs so she can ride longer. I'm stoked to ride Sandy as I've heard a lot great tings about the trail system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's very helpful. We have solid skills but ride more XC style then chunky gnar flare as we don't mend like we used too. My wife has asthma so I look for easier climbs so she can ride longer. I'm stoked to ride Sandy as I've heard a lot great tings about the trail system.
    i've the same background and it takes some getting used to the "new" style of mt. biking.

a new badass bike helps a lot. if you were like me and have an old XC hardtail, it will likely feel a bit overwhelmed up there.

put your seat down on the way down

JHH
    mtbr member
    Great riding! Must come back again and ride more of this place. My wife really loved Hide and Seek. me too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    glad you made it & come back anytime! it's pretty great riding up there almost year round.

B42
    mtbr member
    Does anyone have any idea why Flow Motion and Lower Hide and Seek are marked 'Hazardous' on Strava? I crushed my PR (been working on my cornering a LOT) but no badge for me on this ride... or ever on these segments again..

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rode SR today, grear ride but man is it getting dry and loose! I hit the new little pump section called Lauras line at the end of my run. Did thetrail builders get rid of the Lauras loop section or did I just miss the entrance for it? My eight year old loves doing that loop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Does anyone have any idea why Flow Motion and Lower Hide and Seek are marked 'Hazardous' on Strava? I crushed my PR (been working on my cornering a LOT) but no badge for me on this ride... or ever on these segments again..
    As far as I understand someone has to complain to strava about unsafe or dangerous conditions before they will mark it as such...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    Rode SR today, grear ride but man is it getting dry and loose! I hit the new little pump section called Lauras line at the end of my run. Did thetrail builders get rid of the Lauras loop section or did I just miss the entrance for it? My eight year old loves doing that loop.
    Yep, summer conditions have finally arrived to Sandy as noticed while there a few days ago. This is the longest summer dry and loose conditions have held off this late in the summer that I can remember though. Rain is the only remedy at this point. High backcountry western sloped and most coastal mt. trails are still riding good this time of year.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Yep, summer conditions have finally arrived to Sandy as noticed while there a few days ago. This is the longest summer dry and loose conditions have held off this late in the summer that I can remember though. Rain is the only remedy at this point. High backcountry western sloped and most coastal mt. trails are still riding good this time of year.
    Ditto that. Sandy held up great long into the summer this season. Lots of after work smiles up there this year. Coast range is perfect right now...one of the perks of living in PDX I guess. High country is my favorite but there is a lot of smoke in the horizon right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i'm afraid i don't comprehend anything in your post beyond 'Hazardous'
    i'm also not very hip

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    as dry as it is, SR is still a ton o fun!
    we have plenty of time for rain the rest of the year, enjoy the sun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Sandy Ridge

Anyone headed up next weekend? Trying to get up there on the 13th around 9-10am

pewpewpew Moderator
    Hi there, I'm an out of towner headed to portland this week, I'm going to ride sandy ridge if a) I can find it and b) if I don't get lost any tips appreciated. A beer for anyone who wants to show me the trails....cheers!
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Head out Rt 26 towards Government Camp - just past Wendell's (like 1/4 mile), turn left onto Sleep Hollow -> turn right onto East Barlow, drive for 2-ish miles. You'll see the trailhead on your left.

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...p_june2014.pdf

It's pretty much impossible to get lost up there. You ride up the road, then come down on the trails.

Take a half day and go play up there. Try to ride all the trails. My only tip would be to ride to the halfway point, then head back up to the top. The lower half of H&S is fun, but is over quite quickly for the climbing to get to that point from bottom. I'll usually ride up the top, do a few 1/2 laps with different trails, and then my final run down goes all the way down.

And stop at Charburger on the way home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Take a photo of the map at the trail head/parking area. Takes about 45 minutes to ride to the top. Then do a lap or two up top and bomb down.

mtbr member
    I did something like the "full tour" that IMBA has on their MTBproject map; if you have the legs then do that. Otherwise then just pedal up and stay right at every intersection after taking that trail entrance on the left. It will get you to CB, QPF, TTT, and Lower HnS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Sandy Ridge

Anyone know of any good maps online?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Or do something that is way more fun than the full tour......

ride up 2/3 and bang a right into flow motion, ride back up to the top and do communication to qpf, link into the 338 climb to TTM, go rip TTM, then climb back to the top and go almost to rock drop but drop into the old entrance to HnS, and do a upper HnS run to lower HnS to the parking lot.

Need more people to ride upper HnS, its getting rough and fun now.

mtbr member
    That's pretty much what I did on my visit. Climbed to the top, did FTL, climbed back up and did CB+QPF+338+TTT, climbed back up and did Rock Drop, then down upper HnS, out to do FM and then back down lower HnS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    That's pretty much what I did on my visit. Climbed to the top, did FTL, climbed back up and did CB+QPF+338+TTT, climbed back up and did Rock Drop, then down upper HnS, out to do FM and then back down lower HnS.
    Nice route Tim! That is pretty much the same way I hit it, but with FTL/FM on 2nd lap up and finish with RD/HnS to gravel doubletrack kick out just past power lines to hit a few laps on TNT which is the icing on the cake and probably my favorite line up there for a bit of air time. Especially fun buzzing thru the trees and hitting the burms, gaps and bigger dirt lipped jump gaps at night!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Anyone know of any good maps online?
    Sandy Ridge-sandy-ridge_hide-seek_quid-pro-flow_three-thirty-eight_lauras-loop_rock-drop_topo.jpg
    Sandy Ridge-sandy-ridge_trailheader.jpg
    Sandy Ridge Mountain Bike and Hiking Trails @ Cascade Singletracks
    I drive more when the streets need repairs! -'95 ZJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Sandy Ridge

Thank you . Looking forward to my trip up Saturday morning. Anyone else headed up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i always try for morning - but it's saturday, so more like noon-ish

also realized i don't take the venerated line (rock drop,quid pro flow,two turntables, lower hide n seek)

i in fact cheat and take the end of 338 instead of quid pro flow (there is one little jump that i like a lot)

but i do occasionally (alright, once. but i plan on doing it more) go back up to the 'jump trail' known as 'little monkey'. it's right by the power lines & a whole lot of fun.

have fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Sandy Ridge

Amazing trip! Had a blowout that cut it short but can't wait for the next trip!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Amazing trip! Had a blowout that cut it short but can't wait for the next trip!
    you eat at a shady food cart?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    hooray! (other than your blowout)

i finally did quid pro flow again and realize what i've been missing. holy shiat what a fun trail, though i about lost it in the roller section as one was a bit steeper than i realized and kicked me a bit higher than i was expecting. the first time it happened, i chalked it up to not knowing the trail well.. but then we hiked up and did it again, & even when prepared for it, it still sent me higher than i was ready for.

good times

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Sandy Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    you eat at a shady food cart?
    Didn't make it. Headed back to fire on the mountain for my buddies 30th.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Didn't make it. Headed back to fire on the mountain for my buddies 30th.
    ah jokes on the internets......

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Sandy Ridge

I was guessing you were talking the food trucks downtown or something. Guess I didn't get it. Damn interwebs

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    surely too much mud
    never enough at sandy
    continuous fun

mtbr member
    Two days at Sandy
    Fun trails but donít pass up
    Follow the leader

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Anyone have opinions on how it'll be out there this coming Saturday? Looks like no rain Friday or Saturday so I was hoping for a good ride but I'm not sure if it's saturated and muddy as hell there yet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They are doing trail work Saturday, if you are not helping I don't think I would ride there. Would not want to be in the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Do you have a link to that news / info?

mtbr member
    Looks like a monster build day.

HUGE - Sandy Ridge Trail Project
    Submitted by Ted
    Sat, 11/08/2014 - 9:00am - 2:00pm

NW Trail Alliance (NWTA) will be sending crews throughout the Sandy Ridge Trail System to do tread repair and making new trail improvements.

To accomplish all the work needed, we need 80 to 100 volunteers.

This will be our SINGLE LARGEST trail project for the Fall season and our efforts will be enhanced with the support of the BLM, IMBA Trail Solutions and multiple event sponsors.
    Source:
    HUGE - Sandy Ridge Trail Project | Northwest Trail Alliance / Calendar

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    They've got over 100 people signed up to work. Major stuff in some areas, crews on every trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    so what is a suitable donation to leave at the drop box at the trail head for those of us adverse to physical labor? (assuming it's the beer fund)

mtbr member
    so what is a suitable donation to leave at the drop box at the trail head for those of us adverse to physical labor? (assuming it's the beer fund)
    The money donated at the trail head is collected by the BLM. That money goes toward maintaining the bathrooms, lot and trail at Sandy Ridge. Donate what you feel is appropriate.

I would avoid riding Sandy Ridge on Saturday before 2pm. You will be walking your bike through construction areas more that riding it. If you volunteer to do trail work, there are perks that go along with that. There will be a raffle, food and a shuttle after the work is complete.

A mountain biker that is adverse to physical labor? Really? You might find trail work can be fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    glad i asked - not that the blm isn't great and all, but if i were to make a donation, i'd want directed at the great folks providing the trail... not the government for owning it in the first place (which of course we all already fund via taxes) - sorry for that rant

it's bad enough to not lift a shovel i admit, but it would just be out and out jackassery to try and ride during the work.

think of it like this: i have a limited energy output and using it on trail work would not leave any in my tank for riding. i only get 4 hours a week for myself & i'm rather selfish about that window of me-time.

i know. i'm a jerk. that's why i wanted to buy my way out of it.

mtbr member
    glad i asked - not that the blm isn't great and all, but if i were to make a donation, i'd want directed at the great folks providing the trail... not the government for owning it in the first place (which of course we all already fund via taxes) - sorry for that rant
    The BLM did provide the trail through their own funding and various grants/donations with help from various MTB organizations and volunteers. Most of the trail was built by paid labor including local youth organizations. Now that the trail system is almost built out, the BLM will continue to maintain the lot and bathrooms, but needs our help to maintain the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    The BLM did provide the trail through their own funding and various grants/donations with help from various MTB organizations and volunteers.
    and if those other folks got a cut from the donation box, i'd be happy to leave it there.

as it is, i feel i pay enough in taxes to not further fund the blm. so i'll either have to donate to specific mtb organizations, or buckle and put on my work boots & grab a shovel.

mtbr member
    How about donating to the NW Trail Alliance?
    Donate to Northwest Trail Alliance | Northwest Trail Alliance

Or send some support to IMBA?
    https://www.imba.com/support-imba

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    How about donating to the NW Trail Alliance?
    Donate to Northwest Trail Alliance | Northwest Trail Alliance

Or send some support to IMBA?
    https://www.imba.com/support-imba
    good ideas, thanks !

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Son of a *****.

I put in extremely large amounts of time and effort into maintaining my own local trail network; if anyone is going to get more trail effort from me, it's gonna be the network I've invested hundres of hours in already.

This kinda shits the bed for my plan and I'm frustrated. Yay they're doing work. Boo they're cocking up the one day since May I was able to do the 2 hour drive to get there and enjoy the trails.

It's hard enough to find trails that are usable and safe with the rain coming back in force finally. Goddamnit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    This kinda shits the bed for my plan and I'm frustrated. Yay they're doing work. Boo they're cocking up the one day since May I was able to do the 2 hour drive to get there and enjoy the trails.
    Planning is your friend. This has been posted for well over a month with multiple requests on various places looking for help. They got it, over 100 strong. Go NWTA!!! Don't feel bad, I planned my Whistler trip last summer without considering other stuff that might be going on...turns out it was same weekend as the Tough Mudder event. I would gladly forfeit a day of riding than ever have to be in the presence of that again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Was there a trail work day at sr this weekend, because all the berms on flow motion and lower hs have been raked out to perfection! Really, great job it was a blast to ride it today in semi dry conditions. Just not sure who to thank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    Was there a trail work day at sr this weekend, because all the berms on flow motion and lower hs have been raked out to perfection! Really, great job it was a blast to ride it today in semi dry conditions. Just not sure who to thank
    Yep! There was crew of 50 volunteers organized by NWTA who came out to do some end-of-the-year berm sculpting and cleanup. It is amazing what a good crew of folks can do in a few hours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    Yep! There was crew of 50 volunteers organized by NWTA who came out to do some end-of-the-year berm sculpting and cleanup. It is amazing what a good crew of folks can do in a few hours.
    rode on saturday - was surprised how few folks were out

the trail work is awesome & huge thanks to those that worked so hard, that the rest of us can enjoy

constantly amazed at how bulletproof these trails are, even in the winter

cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Any update on sandy conditions from weekend? Looking to head over today

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ugly View Post
    Any update on sandy conditions from weekend? Looking to head over today
    this last weekend was real nice, except for all the goddam dogs. seriously people, wtf ? if you want to ride with your mutt, great! but why do you assume that i like your dog and want it to slobber all over me while you stare off into the distance relating a story to your other oblivious friends about how awesome you are for adopting a dog from the pound... know what? i did too, but i don't assume that anyone else gives two shits, nor do i think that anyone else likes my dog or wants here to run up on them.

while i don't condone violence, it's not hard to wonder why there have been issues up there between users.

sorry, what? oh yes. as to conditions: probably a rainy biatch up there now. but the trails can take it. have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    this last weekend was real nice, except for all the goddam dogs. seriously people, wtf ?
    Thank you, Inner Ted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    not you
    your special
    unless you slobber on me uncontrollably as your master looks on unconcerned, then piss off

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    At least the dogs do not drag there brakes through every berm.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    At least the dogs do not drag there brakes through every berm.
    lol
    but i want to be faster

& it's "their" not "there"
    not to be 'that' guy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cheers! That guy is typically me. Typing on a pad takes me out frequently.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 136