Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Are you reporting that Flow Motion is in good shape? I am curious.
    It was about half good (still working when I left) when I was there. No idea now, but may get up there today or tomorrow still. I'll report if I make it.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    Who is Ant farm?
    A group that provides outdoor learning and skills for youths (the really short version). They have been a consistent part if the labor at SR. They are based in Sandy.

http://antfarm-international.com
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Did anyone ride sandy this weekend ? Have been out with an injury for 2 months and may get out there this week, or sync line. Wondering how it is after the heavy rains last week. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Did anyone ride sandy this weekend ? Have been out with an injury for 2 months and may get out there this week, or sync line. Wondering how it is after the heavy rains last week. Thanks
    Primed as of Sat 10/5 with downed trees cut out on FM and all trails riding quite well. Supertack if you will.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I did the Follow the Leader tonight and I felt like I was in BC. Very cool! I can't ride parts of it and preferred flow motion but it is all fun. Great work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I did the Follow the Leader tonight and I felt like I was in BC. Very cool! I can't ride parts of it and preferred flow motion but it is all fun. Great work!
    Yes, very much BC feel to it as "Alpha" and I were on it and saying the same thing yesterday as well. He is on "cloud 9" right now after clearing everything for the first time yesterday. His nemesis was the 2nd boulder drop-in before the steep switchies that I led him down thru and convinced him it is best just to roll right down the center of it. He is really starting to progress his riding and sticking with it as of late. I feel like a proud little brother . Always a good challenge and quite unique trail!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Yeah, that second boulder usually gets me too, I have a tough time getting over the rock pile ramp leading into the big boulder drop. And I usually only make it through the loose scree section toward the end of FTL without dabbing about 50% of the time.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Yeah, that second boulder usually gets me too, I have a tough time getting over the rock pile ramp leading into the big boulder drop. And I usually only make it through the loose scree section toward the end of FTL without dabbing about 50% of the time.
    The key to conquering FTL is to not stop on it. Just keep the tires rolling all the way thru to end with no hesitation. The only time I pause for a moment is on the two steep switchies to orientate the bike back around to make the turn. Momentum and letting the suspension do most the work is key on that trail for me. Couldn't imagine pinning it on a HT. It was especially good today
    Ride On!

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    The key to conquering FTL is to not stop on it.
    True that.

Couldn't imagine pinning it on a HT.
    Also true. I can clean it on my HD, not my HT 29'er.

It was especially good today
    Bastard.
    - -benja- -

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Nice. He has a sweet bike! I need to get a Fox 36 as I am still on a 32mm Revelation. The bigger fork would slack out the bike quite a bit and make the Spot more all mountain--as I am sure Alpha would confirm. Excuses aside I am really enjoy Sandy Ridge these days. I found the 2nd boulder a bit much but need to just do it a few times to get some comfort on it. Good for Alpha!

mtbr member
    The key to conquering FTL is to not stop on it. Just keep the tires rolling all the way thru to end with no hesitation. The only time I pause for a moment is on the two steep switchies to orientate the bike back around to make the turn. Momentum and letting the suspension do most the work is key on that trail for me. Couldn't imagine pinning it on a HT. It was especially good today
    Thanks for the tips. It wasn't pretty, but I did make it through top to bottom once. I've also cleaned all of the features on my Canfield Yelli Screamy, but not top to bottom. The 29" wheels do dumb down the loose scree section near the bottom.

mtbr member
    The 29" wheels do dumb down the loose scree section near the bottom.
    I could see that, but the tighter stuff has got to be a little harder with the long WB/CS of typical 29'ers. I hate to say it, but could see how a 650b would be ideal for that trail with a little better roll than 26 thru the rock garden at end, but tight enough to nail the turns.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I could see that, but the tighter stuff has got to be a little harder with the long WB/CS of typical 29'ers. I hate to say it, but could see how a 650b would be ideal for that trail with a little better roll than 26 thru the rock garden at end, but tight enough to nail the turns.
    The 29ers that I ride have a shorter WB than my 6" travel 26" bike. The 29ers are hardtails, so I'm not sure it is a fair comparison. The 29ers do rail around tight corners and switchbacks though. That tight switch back after the second rock drop on FTL is much easier on my 29er than the 26" bike.

I'm also curious about 650b and would love to throw a leg over one sometime.

mtbr member
    The 29ers that I ride have a shorter WB than my 6" travel 26" bike. The 29ers are hardtails, so I'm not sure it is a fair comparison. The 29ers do rail around tight corners and switchbacks though. That tight switch back after the second rock drop on FTL is much easier on my 29er than the 26" bike.

Good to hear. A buddy of mine who only rides 9'ers has a hard time on that trail, but kills everything else (FR jump lines to singletrack rippers - he rides his 9'er like it is a BMX bike). I thought the longer WB/CS of typical 9'ers might make it harder for him to negotiate the tight, off-camber features on that trail, but it sounds like it shouldn't make any difference. At Topher, you have no excuses not to ride it now
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Tips for clearing nastiest part of rock drop?

oldhouseman, benja55 and jgusta: any tips for clearing this part of rock drop?

There's a smaller version that I can occasionally clear (at about 3:50 in that video), but man as much as I try to keep momentum, I can't find a good line through it.
    Do you guys crawl through it or just try to plow through as fast as possible?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoosand View Post

There's a smaller version that I can occasionally clear (at about 3:50 in that video), but man as much as I try to keep momentum, I can't find a good line through it.
    Do you guys crawl through it or just try to plow through as fast as possible?
    Are you refering to the rock garden on QPF before the tables? If you are, it is best to just plow thru it and let the suspension work for you. FWIW, I used to go fairly fast thru the whole thing or keep about the same speed from top to bottom, but have found that there are more speed traps thru it this past rear, thus making it a little harder to ride and carry speed all the way thru. When I hit it I am usually maching down the backside of CB right into garden with as much speed as I can without thrashing my wheels and try to carry it thru, but mid-way I am having to pedal thru it some by a hang-up or two on the rock. Once I am thru before I know it, I just jump/hop, romp all the other stuff immediately following and carry speed thru all the table hits for some air time! Sometimes in really chunky rock, like rock garden on FTL, you have to crawl some, but if there is any downward pitch to it, I always try to roll thru it with as much speed as I can carry and hold. This is where I think a +6" travel bike shines and makes it a lot easier to do or bigger wheels I guess.

Here's a good clip that is a couple years old demostrating how to blast thru. . QPF rock garden sections at 0:20, 0:54, 2:22. Love the Goldman air to pass the dude on his right on QPF jump line about 2:15, classic!
    Ride On!

Too Much Fun

Sandy Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by voodoosand View Post
    Momentum and line choice. And line choice is really about not stuffing your wheels. Keep off those brakes and stay dynamic on the bike. Drop your seat and use that cockpit space.

Read the trail well ahead so you're not caught by fun surprises.
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun

Sandy Ridge

Made the leap. Only a few rides but I'm digging it. IMO, it lives up to the "best of both". I feel a little bit better rollover then my 26" but definitely retains the fun smaller wheel feeling.

Still ride 29er HT, but I've never fallen in love with the big wheels.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Based on the video, It appears you are practically crawling down the trail.

No offense, but gopro video if anything usually makes things look 2x faster than they actually are with the wide angle and such.

I definitely recommend lots more speed.

mtbr member
    I plow through those two rock sections. Just soak it up.

Funny, the last time we were there my buddy on his 29r HT went over the bars right behind me. So much for "rollover".

edit: Above Thrillium there's a stupid loose rock section at the top of Cold Creek. Just have to point, shoot, and hold on...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Momentum and line choice. And line choice is really about not stuffing your wheels. Keep off those brakes and stay dynamic on the bike. Drop your seat and use that cockpit space.

This. Well said benja55.
    Ride On!

mtbr member

Uh, Yeah...I ride it exactly like this too. I nail it about 50% of the time, but I still have problems with picking lines and carrying enough speed through it which leads to tires getting hung up and stalling out.

I will agree, speed/momentum and good line selection are key. A neutral body position over the top of your bike makes a huge difference too.

Made the leap. Only a few rides but I'm digging it. IMO, it lives up to the "best of both". I feel a little bit better rollover then my 26" but definitely retains the fun smaller wheel feeling.

Still ride 29er HT, but I've never fallen in love with the big wheels.
    Good to hear that you like the tweener wheel size. I'm sure a lot of us will be on one at some point, the industry seems to be really pushing it.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Heck, just ride what you like and feels comfortable to you. I am interested in a 650B bike but don't want to part with the cash. So, I guess I have to ride a sweet 5 Spot. Life is tough. I just hope to stay upright and avoid those nasty rocks By the way Sandy Ridge is sweet...I don't know if it is the best place in the NW to ride but pretty darn good. The new trails keep me coming back for more.

Too Much Fun

Good job! yup

Heck, just ride what you like and feels comfortable to you. I am interested in a 650B bike but don't want to part with the cash.
    110% agreed. Only reason I went 650b was that I had a new-ish enough bike that I knew I could flip it for a good price. Went with an Ibis HDR so I can go back and forth 26"/27.5". Love it, but I am not a wheel size evangelist. Too many great years on 26" to care too much. Wheels are wheels and bikes are fun. The main thing is to ride.

By the way Sandy Ridge is sweet...I don't know if it is the best place in the NW to ride but pretty darn good.
    You said it. For all the poo-poo'ing of the trails in/around Portland proper (meaning lack thereof,) I feel lucky to have Sandy Ridge nearby. But it wasn't luck, it was a ton of time, money and effort. Thanks and respect to all involved. Keep those NWTA memberships up to date!

It's an inspiration really. We can have great trails. Sandy Ridge is proof positive.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback/tips!

Sorry, I didn't realize the youtube video didn't link to the right time. Here's a better example (also not me):
    I can sometimes clear the rock garden at 6:00, but the lengthy section at 9:30 just seems like I need a ton of speed and a DH bike. Do you guys clear it without hopping off?
    I think this is Rock Drop, I'm bad with the names...

On wuss patrol
    He actually starts on 338, not Rock Drop (he passes the terminus of Rock Drop as it comes in from the right at 5:53) then transitions onto Quid Pro Flow where the 2 Rock gardens are.

And yeah, clear them most days with an occasional dab. The trick is to keep rolling, keep weight back, and pick lines that offer least resistance as you improve your rock skills.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    World's dumbest SR question...

Went up to SR today for a truly amazing Fall ride. It was gorgeous out there, and the trails were in great condition. While I've only ridden SR a half-dozen times, I always start with Rock Drop. Rode the trail, waiting for the actual drop which I always hit...and then suddenly I'm at the junction for Quid Pro Flow and 338. Huh? I rode back up the trail about 500M...no drop.

Am I losing my mind? Did I talk the wrong trail? Where the hell is that drop? I rode it two months ago, I know.

Like I said this may be the world's dumbest SR question.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have a bit of a secret: I don't care if I can ride the rocks on Quid Pro Quo Don't tell anyone because I might lose my man card! I actually prefer 2 Turntables and Microwave and some of the other trails.

NWTA is sweet! I get a membership along with trying to do some of their fund raiser stuff. I need to do some more trails work this year. It looks like Hide and Seek needs some love.

On wuss patrol
    freeman, sounds like you hit the connector from the road to 338 and missed the connector to Rock Drop. Near the intersection of 338 and QPF, you should see where Rock Drop joins up. If you had gone up Rock Drop when trying to back track, you'd have been on big bermed turns, table tops, doubles, swoopy stuff. The connector to Rock Drop turns right just off the paved road and I think you went left.

Turn it in Jay.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Seriously everyone, the dirt it amazing up here right now. Don't even get me started about the weather. I pity those that can't get out and ride this week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Clyde, I thought that might be a possibility but all the landmarks I remember the last times I've ridden rock drop were there, including that turn over the mossy rock that in the video voodoosand posted above (at :16). When I look on the BLM map (http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...ap2013_508.pdf) looks like there's a fork on Rock Drop (around where it meets Communication Breakdown). Which branch takes me over the drop? I stayed left on Rock Drop.

On wuss patrol
    Freeman, I'm not following your post too well as far as the direction you traveled. simplest way I know to hit Rock Drop is to continue on the road past the kiosk and take the next left. At the first split in the trail, stay right. At the next split, go left and you should be a short distance from the actual rock drop.

If you go left at the first split, you're on 338 and bypass RD. If you go right at the second split, you're on the newer Communication Breakdown, again missing RD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hmmm. That must have been it. I must have gone onto Communication Breakdown. Damn, was all fired up for that drop.

mtbr member
    How's the conditions lately? Thinking of going tomorrow.
    Freeman, a little after the mossy rock you get to a T. Go right. It takes you to rock drop/CB .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I know its cold. But anyone been up lately? Even to the half way cut in to H&S?

On wuss patrol
    I'm guessing some snow at the top right now, maybe down to the half-way point. Not much. Cold, too. Probably good riding right now. I haven't been up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Rider View Post
    I know its cold. But anyone been up lately? Even to the half way cut in to H&S?
    I was there Saturday. No snow in sight. I doubt you'll face snow anywhere besides Communication Breakdown anytime soon. Even if you see snow on there, it will probably not be on the trail. Takes a lot of snow for a trail to be snowed in. Even when snow has made the option of riding up a ride impossible, or the bushes next to the trail snowy, the trail is usually still fine until much later in the season (this goes for most places).

On wuss patrol
    From Thursday 12-5-13. Friends of mine.

Sandy Ridge-image.jpg

Sandy Ridge-image.jpg

Sandy Ridge-image.jpg

Looks like snow on the trails--top of H&S. Looks like snow at the power lines before the halfway cut. Not a lot as I said.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode it on Wednesday and had a blast. 4" at the turn off for CB and Rock Drop. I am sure that it is far more challenging today. The road "was" rideable Wednesday. Turntables was smokin'...
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Those looks like great conditions if it's below freezing. I may head there Tuesday...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Conditions today are wet..
    Flow motion should be avoided till we have had some dry weather for a while. It is super soft and the skid kiddies are ruining the trail. Lower H&S is very wet and had some soft freeze thaw areas still. Upper elevation trails were the best and had typical wet winter conditions but very rideable. The road climb has patches of snow in shaded areas above the cut off.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I rode up on Sandy and the trails are marginal. I should have gone somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    Conditions today are wet..
    Flow motion should be avoided till we have had some dry weather for a while. It is super soft and the skid kiddies are ruining the trail. Lower H&S is very wet and had some soft freeze thaw areas still. Upper elevation trails were the best and had typical wet winter conditions but very rideable. The road climb has patches of snow in shaded areas above the cut off.
    Yep, worth staying up high and would recommend just hitting the road back from bridge on HnS regardless of how painful it may be instead of lower HnS due to freeze/thaw conditions in a lot of parts. The bottom part was the worse. At the top of CB it was sunny and much warmer (inversion?) and conditions were great coming down the backside. QPF was decent, TT&M was good, upper HnS was good before stream crossing and everything below that was of question. I was pretty amazed on how much snow melted with all the upper ridgelines at around 4000ft (Wildcat Mt) clear as well.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I noticed it was warmer on top of CB! I only had a wool undershirt on and was good to go. I had fun. You were right about lower H&S. Good day nonetheless as a muddy day on a bike is better than a good day at work

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    went to Sandy today with a buddy and it was too damn muddy...straight slop. Jumped in the car and went over to Syncline and it was a bit better.

On wuss patrol
    Dudes, do gravel grinds or road rides for awhile. With the freeze/thaw mess the trails are in right now, SR and Syncline need to melt and dry out a bunch. Trail stewards for the areas are asking we stay off until they firm back up. Just making them nasty for later on. There are trail systems that hold up better in the recent conditions but SR and Syncline aren't them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Dudes, do gravel grinds or road rides for awhile. With the freeze/thaw mess the trails are in right now, SR and Syncline need to melt and dry out a bunch. Trail stewards for the areas are asking we stay off until they firm back up. Just making them nasty for later on. There are trail systems that hold up better in the recent conditions but SR and Syncline aren't them.
    Or just stick with trails with rock-based soil (road rides and gravel grinds are not a viable option for this kid, almost rather take verbal abuse from the spouse by spending the day with her...almost).

Was pretty amazed how good of shape the tread was on on backside of CB and TTAM was pretty good as well on later Sat. So, I think anything with some rock to it, good drainage that is somewhat open to sun will be fine now and seems to be some inversion going down, whereas most lower elevation, soil-based trails are total slop right now. Tomorrow is suppose to be 46 deg and sunny at 4000ft. Dog River anyone
    Ride On!

On wuss patrol
    Jon, that works for folks like you, maybe me, maybe Smitty, who can make such a judgment about what to look for in soil composition, how heavily a trail is travelled, when to jump on a road to avoid sloppy stuff. However, for many who wanna "get dirty" and view the amount of mud caked on face and bike as a badge of honor, the trails get thrashed and ultimately we all kinda lose with soil erosion, brake bumps, tire ruts, and more repair work later on. Just my two pennies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Jon, that works for folks like you, maybe me, maybe Smitty, who can make such a judgment about what to look for in soil composition, how heavily a trail is travelled, when to jump on a road to avoid sloppy stuff. However, for many who wanna "get dirty" and view the amount of mud caked on face and bike as a badge of honor, the trails get thrashed and ultimately we all kinda lose with soil erosion, brake bumps, tire ruts, and more repair work later on. Just my two pennies.
    For sure as slop riding is no bueno for everyone and your bike! I just pride myself on being a year-round local trail rider who very rarely rides in the mud, but still gets out fairly regularly to ride. But yes, I guess most people just go and ride at a place regardless of knowing how the conditions may be, and should always be aware and cautioned if possible to minimize extra damage to trails and work in the long run. For example it is too bad with Whoopdee and a lot of people riding it during freeze/thaw and why it is closed right now so it isn't totally destroyed.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rode SR yesterday and wished i had headed the earlier reports and skipped the lower section of HS....VERY muddy. Upper trails like TT and CB are in decent shape. Follow the Leader was also very muddy.

On a different topic, I'm always a little surprised at the amount of tread marks over branches that have fallen on the trail. I ride SR a lot and always clear branches to keep the trails clear and fun and also carry a small folding saw so i can clear larger ones. I think if we all take a quick moment to stop and toss a branch to the side the SR experience will be better for all.

Just my 2 cents.

Ride On!
    Chris

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast