Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ya, The Trail Masters at SR have built trails that dont hold water. All Year riding excepy when its pouring out. Wait a day after a good rain and its ready to go.

cb

mtbr member
    That's some of the best soil when wet, I was real surprised. Real sticky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    But it does get some snow and ice at times.
    Sandy in the snow is good times!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    All that gravel thats so annoying in the summer seats nice in the soft soil when wet and makes it like riding sandpaper.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Went today and the dirt was perfect.

mtbr member
    I was out there today too. It is amazing how good the dirt is when its a little damp. It is not at all muddy. The trail holds together way better than it did during the singletrack dust storms of August.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanksgiving morning the trails were great. The upper elevation trails(rock drop, quid pro, two turntables) were nice and tacky. The lower elevation stuff was a little soggy in places with some standing water in the usual places/braking holes. It was a good ride and I seen a lot of other people gettin some wile it's still good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    Thanksgiving morning the trails were great. The upper elevation trails(rock drop, quid pro, two turntables) were nice and tacky. The lower elevation stuff was a little soggy in places with some standing water in the usual places/braking holes. It was a good ride and I seen a lot of other people gettin some wile it's still good.
    I sure was thankful. It was a great day to ride a mountain bike. It may be the first Thanksgiving that I did not ride a road bike. I will always be thankful for that. I just wish that I would have had all day to spend at Sandy. Nice people out there yesterday too!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I just wish that I would have had all day to spend at Sandy.
    Ditto this, as I didn't want to leave despite a botchy drivetrain that day.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Anyone go today? Thinking of going tomorrow and wondering how it is. . Thanks

mtbr member
    Considering how little it rained since T-day, I bet it's going to be good. I'm headed to Syncline tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It was good on thursday and it barely rained since then so I think sandy should be good to go for sunday. Enjoy, I might make it out myself.

mtbr member
    Lower section ripped tonight upper was pretty tough in some areas - I'd say there was a good 18" snow on the last 1/3rd mile to the kiosk. Did have to push that last 1/3rd on the road but was worth it. Rode most the way on trail to Rock Drop and tried to come down that -was pretty slow with the deep snow but we sure tried with the Fat Bikes

Ended up coming down Hide & Seek and the upper wasn't to bad - snow in quite a bit of the upper but after crossing the bridge it was game on

Ed

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I know this is an old post.... but, I am going up to PDX on sat morning, thinking about a sandy ridge ride in the early am... can anybody tell me info on where the trail head is and etc???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    I know this is an old post.... but, I am going up to PDX on sat morning, thinking about a sandy ridge ride in the early am... can anybody tell me info on where the trail head is and etc???
    Sandy Ridge

The dirt was really, really nice today. First time on Communication Breakdown for me, super fun trail. Two turn Tables and a Microwave was riding good too. Upper and lower Hide and Seek are great and the new work on lower Hide and Seek just below the cut off is nice.

Does anybody know when the new stuff on the east side of Homestead Rd will be open?
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 04-28-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Too Much Fun

New question here. Horse damage on lower Sandy Ridge trails?

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Does anybody know when the new stuff on the east side of Homestead Rd will be open?
    Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I'm kind of in awe of how good Sandy Ridge is at this point. It packs so much goodness in to what seems to me a pretty modest footprint and keeps getting better. Send in those NWTA memberships people!

On a crappier note, Did anyone else notice some horse damage to lower HS & Laura's Loop? This was on 4/27 in the AM. I'm cool with equestrians in general, but damn if that animal didn't punch pretty major holes into the trail!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I'm kind of in awe of how good Sandy Ridge is at this point. It packs so much goodness in to what seems to me a pretty modest footprint and keeps getting better. Send in those NWTA memberships people!

On a crappier note, Did anyone else notice some horse damage to lower HS & Laura's Loop? This was on 4/27 in the AM. I'm cool with equestrians in general, but damn if that animal didn't punch pretty major holes into the trail!
    I am not cool with the horsies. Complete BS... post holes should be accompanied by sharp jabs to the throat. It appears to me that a few more tires on the PCT are in order. This "how the west was won" activity needs to stop. Take pictures and send them to Marcie Houle ASAP!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    On a crappier note, [B]Did anyone else notice some horse damage to lower HS & Laura's Loop?
    Are horses legal on SR trails? Im not an equestrian hater either, but there is absolutely no way equestrians should be using the SR trail system. It was built by mtn. bkers and maintained by mtn. bikers. Im not sure of this, but I am willing to bet that has been no equestrian group that has helped out with building/maintaining this system.

Too Much Fun

New question here. Don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by RighteousTrail View Post
    Are horses legal on SR trails? Im not an equestrian hater either, but there is absolutely no way equestrians should be using the SR trail system.
    I'm not sure of the legality of it, but it's fundamentally unsafe and the direction of horsie travel was clearly heading uphill from the HS connector by the main gate ( I only ride that section uphill if I'm basically the only car in the lot. It's technically still downhill-only AFAIK)

And yeah, it's a purpose-built trail system and that purpose is mountain biking. There are tons of multi-use trails available in OR, but Sandy Ridge isn't one of them, as far as I understand it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Take a look at the link that I provided above. Sandy Ridge is technically a multi use trail system open to bikes and people on foot, but not horses.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Too Much Fun

No good Good to know...

Sandy Ridge is technically a multi use trail system open to bikes and people on foot, but not horses.
    Thanks for pointing that out OHM. So not only were they not abiding by the rules of the trail, but they fuct it up pretty nicely in the process...

Lovely.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That really pisses me off about the horse damage. I hope that equestrian get's what they deserve somehow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I'm itching to know more as well. I've taken a peak at a few sections and it looks close. I'm hoping it will open this summer, but I've not heard or seen of any build days going on for that trail. Every build day so far has just been maintenance on existing trails.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I've not heard or seen of any build days going on for that trail. Every build day so far has just been maintenance on existing trails.
    The pattern with SR major builds as I've observed is the BLM/IMBA crew does the initial build and the public/NWTA events are more about fine tuning the lines and general maintenance.

Oh and the post-holing by equestrians sucks, even on shared trails they are allowed on.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Oh and the post-holing by equestrians sucks, even on shared trails they are allowed on.
    I just learned a new term! Yeah, messed up regardless of the trail. And seems kind of dangerous for the horse too. Some of the holes near the bottom were deep!
    - -benja- -

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast