Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've been on it. It's definitely some good and more technical terrain, but I'm personally bummed that everything here here is pretty much built to imba grading standards. Soo, even through the tough stuff it's still a wide trail with short tech sections and banked switchbacks. I'd really like to see some steeper narrow fall line stuff like you see in BC. The location of the new trail is perfect for that, they'd just need to put a couple of differen down lines in. Maybe it's in the plans.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    I've been on it. It's definitely some good and more technical terrain, but I'm personally bummed that everything here here is pretty much built to imba grading standards. Soo, even through the tough stuff it's still a wide trail with short tech sections and banked switchbacks. I'd really like to see some steeper narrow fall line stuff like you see in BC. The location of the new trail is perfect for that, they'd just need to put a couple of differen down lines in. Maybe it's in the plans.
    I haven't been on it yet, but I have to agree with the lack of "Fall line trails". I'd go as far as to say most of Oregon and SW Washington are missing these types of trail.

Although we don't have this type of terrain in the PNW, this is the type of riding I'd like to see more of ...

I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That kind of hurt to watch today. The high country drenched in sunshine... ouch.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I haven't been on it yet, but I have to agree with the lack of "Fall line trails". I'd go as far as to say most of Oregon and SW Washington are missing these types of trail.

Although we don't have this type of terrain in the PNW, this is the type of riding I'd like to see more of
    Yep. If you've ridden the xc in whistler pemby squamish or similar, you'll know what I'm talking about. This is an extreme example, but google jack the ripper in pemberton to see what's possible. Guys that clean that trail have my total respect

mtbr member
    Yep. If you've ridden the xc in whistler pemby squamish or similar, you'll know what I'm talking about. This is an extreme example, but google jack the ripper in pemberton to see what's possible. Guys that clean that trail have my total respect
    Wow, Jack the Ripper looks like a tough one. My Canadian riding experience is limited to a few trips to Rossland, which does have plenty of trails with a high pucker factor too.

It would be amazing to have trails like these in the area. We definitely have the terrain to build them on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    It would be amazing to have trails like these in the area. We definitely have the terrain to build them on.
    We already do have trails like this in the high Gorge and around Mt. Hood, but they just happen to all be in wilderness areas
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the Jack the Ripper suggestion. The video I saw looked like what "some" of us want. A rugged trail dropping from the sky. Who is lining up a Pemberton trip next year? I am in. Plus, I agree with jgusta in regards to what is available in our region.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Who is lining up a Pemberton trip next year? I am in.
    Me too as I am tentatively planning a Pemby/Whistler Valley/Squamish trip next summer, especially after riding there for the first time this past summer, with exception of Pemby though. According to Whistler locals, that is where most of them go to get some longer trail descents in as most of the valley trails don't have as much vertical gain/loss, outside of the bike park of course. I also was surprised to hear how many guys who work in the bike shops that rarely ride the park for prefence to other places in the area. I just want to hit the bike park for the "Top of World" trail when it officially done next year!

Let's plan a trip, I already have some beta on good, longer descending Pemby rides and you would like riding with the guys I went with last year as they all like to pedal and hit fun stuff to ride. Whistler Village makes a great base camp as you can ride right from the condo to cool trails (I ran into the biggest bear I have ever seen one early evening right before dusk on trail just 1/2 mile from condo). And Whistler is pretty much exactly geographically in between Pemberton and Squamish at only 30 minutes away from each to the north and south. We had a nice place in North Village Whistler (outskirts of main Village with great access to surrounding Valley trails and to bike park as well) and only cost about $155/person for 4 nights with three dudes. We rode one day in Squamish on the way to Whistler, three days on trails in the Whistler Valley with one 1/2 day in bike park and hit Squamish again on our way back home. It was just about the perfect amount of time to ride without being away from the families for too long of 4nights/5 days.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    If this Canada trip materializes, I'd venture north with you guys. I definitely want to ride the "Top of the World" trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow, that video in colorado was pretty awesome, i want to ride there! I have to pep-talk myself when it gets technical and rocky and i'm sure i'd walk a couple sections, but that looks like a ton of fun! Another place on my someday list.

I'm going to Sandy Ridge on monday, it'll be my first time there. Looking forward to it.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Thanks for the Jack the Ripper suggestion. The video I saw looked like what "some" of us want. A rugged trail dropping from the sky. Who is lining up a Pemberton trip next year? I am in. Plus, I agree with jgusta in regards to what is available in our region.
    Its hands down the hardest trail I have ever attempted, and I walked alot of stuff, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Interesting timing on my comment. There is an article on trail design in the new Dirt Rag. I generally don't start many new threads, but maybe I'll put one in passion since its probably better suited over there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just rode sandy today and had a great time. I was quite surprised at how much grip is available when it's wet.

With the amount of traffic this place gets I can't imagine a fall line style trail lasting very long. It's still a good time though.
    Last edited by wfo922; 11-05-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    We rode Sandy yesterday and it was a perfect day. The Turntable is an awesome trail. Great trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    We rode Sandy yesterday and it was a perfect day. The Turntable is an awesome trail. Great trail.
    Nice, glad you like it.

Here's a ride I did there today with nice left shoulder clip of tree that sent me off of bike mid-way down. One of the many benefits of using 780mm bars . Good times on the ridge today!

https://vimeo.com/52977861
    Last edited by jgusta; 11-06-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Great to hear. Headed back up there tomorrow after work.

Where are the jump lines and Little Monkey at? I don't remember them being on the mounted map and cant download the new one off the BLM site now for some reason. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    they are on the right as you are headed up the road just before the power lines corner. There isn't really signage for it besides some home made signs. The jump trails aren't officially part of Sandy Ridge.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Nice, glad you like it.

Here's a ride I did there today with nice left shoulder clip of tree that sent me off of bike mid-way down. One of the many benefits of using 780mm bars . Good times on the ridge today!
    https://vimeo.com/52909308
    The trails has perfect pitch and is flowy the whole way down. Really well built!
    I enjoyed the views from up top! Communication Breakdown is a hoot also.
    I was blown away by the parking lot and all the work done up there. A great effort.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    wfo and i rode little monkey at the end of our ride. It was pretty fun. I'm a total wimp and enjoyed the small jumps. Next time we'll have to try the other trail that starts parallel with little monkey, I can't remember the name of it now. Is it just a bigger jump line?

Things were wet but traction was still surprisingly good!
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice, glad you like it.

I should have been with you yesterday. Nice video, I like the "RE-DO" caption. It looks good out there. I better get the purple bike ready soon.

-cheers!

mtbr member
    Nice, glad you like it.

:^) Nice footage - that tree has jumped out in front of my shoulder as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    :^) Nice footage - that tree has jumped out in front of my shoulder as well.
    Thanks, added some tunes to clip that was playing in my noggin that ride. Must of put me in a trance before I kissed the tree
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks, added some tunes to clip that was playing in my noggin that ride. Must of put me in a trance before I kissed the tree
    George of the Jungle?

mtbr member
    Is sandy rideable year round?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No sandy is not ridable all year so stay away from it It gets ridden all year but some times BLM will close the trails for a few months due to trail conditions.

Metalheadbikerider

Mostly, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Is sandy rideable year round?
    But it does get some snow and ice at times.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast