Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Were you there in the early afternoon? I passed a rider on climb up road near entrance of Flow Motion around 2pm or so that just stopped there. Not sure if person was waiting for another rider or going to ride FM. Anyhoo, I should of told person that FM was not really rideable right now, but I just kept cruising. Sorry, if that was you.

I had a good ride yesterday (but stayed off FM and lower HnS). Climbed to top of CB twice with good riding on most of all the trails above the bridge. At cut-in on second run I just detoured to road and cruised it down about 1/2 mile to TNT to avoid lower HnS. Was a little painful to drop that bit of elevation on the road that I initially climbed up, but bike and trails were thankful. TNT/Little Monkey was a bit soft in places, but not near as bad as lower HnS (rode it Sat). Got to bottom after +2hrs of non-stop riding with just some wet dirt stuck to underside of down tube. Clothes were clean for the most part. If you stay off FM and lower HnS, good riding can still be had!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    It seems like a board at the bottom kiosk that people could post riding conditions would go a long way.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Metalheadbikerider
    In addition, as a user group we could start taking advantage of this. If we add trail condition updates regularly, we will ideally have all the info we need before we leave the house.

Trail:Sandy Ridge Mountain Bike Area - NWTA Wiki
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    In addition, as a user group we could start taking advantage of this. If we add trail condition updates regularly, we will ideally have all the info we need before we leave the house.

Trail:Sandy Ridge Mountain Bike Area - NWTA Wiki
    Only problem, there is a large percentage of people that don't use these forums, MTBR or NWTA.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I rode up at Sandy today. Good ride once you got halfway up. I bet it was 15 degree warmer on top as soon as I got above the fog. The trails up high are in good shape. Lower H&S still looks mucky. Nice endo on TTM trail Bike is okay!!!

Metalheadbikerider
    Yep, but maybe they would if they were helpful and the word was spread about that usefulness. The NWTA trail wiki could be great.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Conditions change almost daily in the winter. The report would almost need to be a daily one or it would be nearly useless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This could give you an idea of what you would be facing regarding weather in SR --->NOAA/NWS:Brightwood, Oregon

If you didn't have it bookmarked already!
    I drive more when the streets need repairs! -'95 ZJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    This could give you an idea of what you would be facing regarding weather in SR --->NOAA/NWS:Brightwood, Oregon

If you didn't have it bookmarked already!
    Yes can be helpful at times, but not always accurate to current weather/trail conditions. I use this which gives me a better idea of how the trails may be. TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT If the road near Brightood on 26 is wet, then trails are typically wet and potentially sloppy. If dry, then usually can find some good trails to ride condition wise in the trail network.
    Ride On!

Metalheadbikerider
    Agreed. And this would be possible if enough people updated the trail wiki. I think it could be a great tool, if people used it. Not sure how to make that happen.

Metalheadbikerider
    I didn't mean that the trail wiki should take the place of your idea, but rather as an additional resource we could all benefit from.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agreed as well, but those spoiled folks in Bend appear to keep each other informed. Portland area trail conditions... especially during the winter since I believe that a few of "us" get bored and updates would not be a problem.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Metalheadbikerider
    Do you have thoughts on the NWTA trail wiki? It seems much more efficient than having to post on a msg board and wait for a reply. If it got regular traffic it could be pretty effective, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My experience has been that there has never been anything up to date on the NWTA site. Not a complaint...just what I have viewed. Temira's site seems to work well. Personally, I like this board for info, but anything reliable and up to date would be beneficial. I typically will respond to any trail question that I can provide worthwhile information for.

Metalheadbikerider
    Your experience is right on. It is a pretty dead website. I am not familiar with Temira's site. If the Trail Wiki is the best option, I guess we just need to add content and get some traffic flowing that direction. Maybe the people on this msg board are the best way to make that happen?

Too Much Fun

Sandy Ridge

Your experience is right on. It is a pretty dead website. I am not familiar with Temira's site. If the Trail Wiki is the best option, I guess we just need to add content and get some traffic flowing that direction. Maybe the people on this msg board are the best way to make that happen?
    ...agreed, but maybe a laminated message could be posted at the top & bottom kiosks asking riders to please check out the wiki and add trail updates after their rides? Might help wrangle in those riders that don't know about the wiki.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am not familiar with Temira's site.
    The Gorge is my Gym

This is the place for daily info on HR trail conditions (click on "get the forecast"). Speaking of which, apparently our trails are being torn all to hell right now. To some people, I think riding in the mud is viewed as fun, rather than as something that destroys the hard work of dozens of volunteer trail builders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the link. I should have done it myself. Not a fan of the mud ride either. What a waste of bike parts and nice trail.

mtbr member
    Any reports on sandy lately? Or possibly syncline or black rock. Its been a little while since I've been out. Trying to figure out the best bet if I get a chance to go tomorrow. Thanks

mtbr member
    A friend was at Sandy Ridge earlier this week and said it was really good. I could only imagine that it has gotten better since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Any reports on sandy lately? Or possibly syncline or black rock. Its been a little while since I've been out. Trying to figure out the best bet if I get a chance to go tomorrow. Thanks
    Was good with exception of only brief gravel section under the power lines on lower HnS that was freeze/thaw'ish and causing a bit of slop and mess despite mostly being gravel. Everything was good to go minus a few idiots with their dogs on the trails that wouldn't stay with the owner. Had a little rat terrier get in front of me on Two Turntables that was on my front tire that wouldn't budge despite talking to it, slowing down and speeding up that made the fun descent a bit of buzzkill. Please people leave your dogs at home or just stick with the lower beginner trails so Fido doesn't get in people's way on the fun descents.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Went yesterday and it was great. Did CB to TTM and lower H&S. Just the one spot on H&S was a little sloppy like jgusta described. Otherwise pretty amazing for this time of year.

mtbr member

Christmas day:

Conditions were all time.

Sandy Ridge-1477809_10202268598133124_908017978_n.jpg

Sandy Ridge-993809_10202268602453232_1784901147_n.jpg
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice

B42
    mtbr member
    Spent 30 minutes this morning trying to update the NWTA wiki with no luck. Usernames no good on the wiki, can't edit unless I'm a user, can't access page unless admin, etc. etc. Guess I'll have to just do updates here when needed. Current Conditions haven't been updated there since July...

Flow-Motion looked a little soft Friday (didn't ride it). Everything else was great. We haven't had any rain up here in a while, so until the water starts falling again it's only going to get better.

I was actually surprised to see a number of braking bumps filled in from the last time I rode. The trail is in really good condition. The part under the power lines is sloppy, but It's not going down more than a 1-2 inches where it's hitting the pavers or lots of gravel. It is however the only place you will get mud spattered on your face, so that's annoying.

Anyone know why they changed the entrance to TTM? I thought the drop into that was cool, now it's a bit lame/normal when they had done so much work there before.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B42 View Post
    Anyone know why they changed the entrance to TTM? I thought the drop into that was cool, now it's a bit lame/normal when they had done so much work there before.
    I haven't seen the changes yet, but if I had to guess...Everybody was riding around the drop (Filter) anyway and they even tried to block off the go-around but people kept going around anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I thought the drop was still there but they added a ride around since everyone created one anyway.

Too Much Fun

Sandy Ridge

Crazy good conditions today! But damn, I usually ride Sandy at dawn and today I rolled in at 12:30pm to find the lots packed. ...Wow.

Are the "powers that be" taking note of the success of this trail system? And the popularity of our sport?

These numbers don't lie. Mountain biking is gaining momentum again. So great to see.
    - -benja- -

B42
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I thought the drop was still there but they added a ride around since everyone created one anyway.

All kinds of tree limbs, etc. right in the path of the drop into the first turn. All the rocks are still there both that build the lean in, and the runout. The entrance was really rough cut, so maybe we'll just have to wait and see what they're doing when it's finished. If I get back out today I'll take a picture/video.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    I went out yesterday. The drop into TTM was clear and the go around to the left appears open for busienss. I took the go around this time, didn't feel like taking the drop on my rigid SS in front of 15 people, not that I would have done it if they weren't there either.

And I thought I knew the trails pretty well at Sandy Ridge, riding a rigid bike changes everything.

Dirt was perfect yesterday.

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Yep, all clear. Not sure what I was seeing. Flow Motion is also nice. 1-2 water/mud spots. Other than that it was all great riding. The dirt under the power lines is even packed down and dry. Unfortunately, it started raining up here about an hour ago.

mtbr member
    Yep, all clear. Not sure what I was seeing. Flow Motion is also nice. 1-2 water/mud spots. Other than that it was all great riding. The dirt under the power lines is even packed down and dry. Unfortunately, it started raining up here about an hour ago.
    yep, was pretty much primo on NYD. Here's the trail conditions from my ride on FTL and FM that day on film.

Also got me some CB/QPF/TTM/RD/HnS/TNT/LM that day as well. Gots to get it while the getting is good!
    Ride On!

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Thanks for the videos JGusta! Was that you I saw using the chesty for the first time? The videos look great.

Insanity later
    Great Vid's jgusta, You were tearing it up! I just happy when I clean all of FTL.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Great Vid's jgusta, You were tearing it up! I just happy when I clean all of FTL.
    I'm happy when I clean all of 338 and QPF. FTL? Nah, I'll never clean it.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I'm happy when I clean all of 338 and QPF. FTL? Nah, I'll never clean it.
    Don't sell yourself short Dave, since FTL is just the next step up from 338/QPF. My older brother just started riding RD/338 and QPF a couple of months ago and now can ride thru all of FTL with no qualms, just takes a little practice and patience. Helps to follow someone thru as well to see the lines, etc. If you can ride thru rock without much hesitation, then FTL will definitely come and worth keeping at it since it is such a unique trail there with flow once you got it down.
    Ride On!

Too Much Fun

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Don't sell yourself short Dave, since FTL is just the next step up from 338/QPF.
    Agreed, never say never GtheClyde!

Riding with others is so key to unlocking new terrain. I'd also add riding with flats some of the time, and also focusing on specific areas work on (skills-wise). Sometimes changing things up can be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Technical riding is one of the things that first attracted me to the MTB in the first place 1000 years ago, but back then that meant full-rigid bikes and slow, stock trials riding. Now with today's bikes technical riding can mean completely different experiences depending on bike, terrain etc.

I love this sport.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post

Riding with others is so key to unlocking new terrain. I'd also add riding with flats some of the time, and also focusing on specific areas work on (skills-wise). Sometimes changing things up can be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Technical riding is one of the things that first attracted me to the MTB in the first place 1000 years ago, but back then that meant full-rigid bikes and slow, stock trials riding. Now with today's bikes technical riding can mean completely different experiences depending on bike, terrain etc.

I love this sport.
    Word up Benja, as today's "trail bikes" keep gettting better and better, making it more possible to do more things. I find it is just easier to ride harder terrain with them due to more aggro geometry and better suspension, components, etc. And doesn't hurt that trails being built these days are much better as well, unless just raw backcountry singletrack is your thing, which I love a lot too!
    Ride On!

mtbr member

As of 1/06/14

Conditions were amazing, the middle part of Hide n Seek is pretty shitty in the open part still. But upper Hide n Seek is rad!

DFY
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post

I love this sport.
    i'd also like to give this a thumb's up

having ridden sandy ridge only 6-8 times & on my 14 year old hardtail, i'm beyond excited to take my new Bandit 27.5 there (once it's built - i've waited almost 15 years, what's another couple weeks - can't wait to show it off here!)

are there group rides that happen up there (that include fat slow guys like me?)

cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sandy Ridge in january!!!

Rode Sandy Ridge today. Place was packed, sky was blue and trails were prime. Rode Little Monkey Jump, Follow the Leader, Flow Motion and Lower Hide & Seek. FTL is tough, technical as hell in some spots. FM is real fun, berms are sick. Here's a couple pics:Sandy Ridge-image.jpg Sandy Ridge-image.jpg Sandy Ridge-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was one of the masses there yesterday too!! Got to ride my new bike & it was awesome! Felt like spring up there.

new bike + awesome trail + amazing weather = thumbs up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobeez View Post
    Rode Sandy Ridge today. Place was packed, sky was blue and trails were prime. Rode Little Monkey Jump, Follow the Leader, Flow Motion and Lower Hide & Seek. FTL is tough, technical as hell in some spots. FM is real fun, berms are sick. Here's a couple pics: (snip)
    Great pics!

Yesterday the trails were awesome. The weather was warm and there were plenty people to ride and hang out with. Despite that, I'm always surprised how Sandy never feels really crowded.

B42
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    Great pics!

Yesterday the trails were awesome. The weather was warm and there were plenty people to ride and hang out with. Despite that, I'm always surprised how Sandy never feels really crowded.
    I've ridden a few times in Phil's in Bend when there were very few cars in the parking lot (week day) and it felt like we (my wife and I) were constantly seeing people/groups of people. As we were talking about it we realized that most of them were going the other direction. Directional trails make for a pleasant experience and the illusion that you are alone in the woods when really there are people everywhere. Maybe with all of the comments regarding this phenomena at SR we will see more riding areas adopt this directional control.

I think I'll make a lunch run there today.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Sandy Ridge

I've ridden a few times in Phil's in Bend when there were very few cars in the parking lot (week day) and it felt like we (my wife and I) were constantly seeing people/groups of people. As we were talking about it we realized that most of them were going the other direction. Directional trails make for a pleasant experience and the illusion that you are alone in the woods when really there are people everywhere. Maybe with all of the comments regarding this phenomena at SR we will see more riding areas adopt this directional control.

I think I'll make a lunch run there today.
    Except SR is mtb specific and basically a downhill system, though I can not remember seeing signage saying the trails are one way.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Except SR is mtb specific and basically a downhill system, though I can not remember seeing signage saying the trails are one way.
    True. Several trails there are not directional, but everyone rides them that way for safety and practicality. I do know a few people who climb H&S, but they only do it if they get there at 6 a.m. and head up before anyone else might be on the trails.

But, I do like the idea of directional trail systems whether up or down. Phils Trail network in Cortez Colorado is remarkably similar to Bend's system, but has far more directional trails. As a result, you do see far fewer people on the trails and there are almost no complaints about riders going too fast which seems to be a constant source of irritation in Bend.

Metalheadbikerider
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The trail maps have "recommended" directions of travel for every trail. Funny, I have been discussing this concept with a couple of different groups lately. Should the old IMBA rule to always yield to the climbing rider apply? What if they are going against the recommended direction? I, for one, think that this "rule" needs to be revisitied for mtb-specific trail networks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The trail maps have "recommended" directions of travel for every trail. Funny, I have been discussing this concept with a couple of different groups lately. Should the old IMBA rule to always yield to the climbing rider apply? What if they are going against the recommended direction? I, for one, think that this "rule" needs to be revisitied for mtb-specific trail networks.
    I couldn't agree more. The IMBA bike v. bike yield to uphill rider approach is one "rule" that I've never liked. Not because people should be free to ride out of control downhill, but because there's no sense in giving anyone the ROW because its situationally dependent. If I could set the rules, I'd do it as follows"
    - Undesignated trails - No ROW. Everyone is required to be prepared to yield at any time. Use common courtesy as a guide. The vast majority of riders are very capable of quickly assessing who has the easiest yield (regardless of direction) and taking it. What is frustrating with the current rule is to be on a downhill and come up on someone doing the uphill where they have the very clear and easy option to slide over in a wide spot to let you by, only they invoke the uphill ROW rule and you have to come to a complete stop and pull your bike off the trail.

Recommended Directional: That direction gets the ROW, but both directions are permitted.

Directional: No traffic allowed in the opposite direction.

Easy Examples:
    Bend/Phils - Whoops/North Fork (one way like it is); Funner/Tiddlywinks/Farewell/South Fork (recommended descents); Everything else no recommendation, but you could decide to put in a few recommended up trails if some folks really want to hold on to their uphill ROW.

Sandy - Everything but H&S and communication breakdown downhill only. H&S recommended down. Communication breakdown (recommended east to west).

Road 44 - Knebal/15 mile (recommended counterclockwise); Dog River (recommended down); High Prairie (recommended down); everything else no ROW.

Metalheadbikerider
    Perfectly said. Regarding the no ROW idea on Undesignated Trails: Today on the radio I heard about an elementary school in New Zealand that did away with all playground rules, with the exception of the obvious (no kicking the sh!t out of each other). The results? Less behavior problems and incidents to the point that they now use less teachers to supervise. Problem behaviors went down. I guess the point is that if we allow ourselves to rely less on rules and more on common courtesy, trust, and respect, we may just be better off.

Insanity later
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post

Sandy - Everything but H&S and communication breakdown downhill only. H&S recommended down. Communication breakdown (recommended east to west).
    Funny. I was going to correct your suggestion on Communication Breakdown, then realized East - West is in fact how it's always ridden. Man it's strange how you can lose your bearings so easily when riding.

I've never ridden CB in the other direction but bet it would be fun. One buddy of mine rode Sandy for the first time, and turned around half way up CB as he was sure he was going the wrong way based on all those "sweet berms"

Great sensible suggestions BTW.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    I've never ridden CB in the other direction but bet it would be fun. One buddy of mine rode Sandy for the first time, and turned around half way up CB as he was sure he was going the wrong way based on all those "sweet berms"

Great sensible suggestions BTW.....
    I felt the same yesterday riding up it. Those turns are really sweet and seem silly for the climbing route. Even though I've ridden it before I had a moment of doubt where I also thought I was climbing the wrong way. It crossed my mind to descend this sometime when the parking lot is empty. Actually it would really cool if CB was flipped west to east because who wants to miss out on rock drop? That would make a pretty sweet upper clockwise loop: Rock drop --> Partial QuidProFlow --> Communication Breakdown --> Rock drop again

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Common sense and respect should be adequate guides for most circumstances. How would anyone make it to FR 44/4410 without climbing Dog River? The car and/or Oakridge would not be adequate substitutes for me. We are fortunate around here because are TH's are typically empty.

Sandy Ridge

Perfectly said. Regarding the no ROW idea on Undesignated Trails: Today on the radio I heard about an elementary school in New Zealand that did away with all playground rules, with the exception of the obvious (no kicking the sh!t out of each other). The results? Less behavior problems and incidents to the point that they now use less teachers to supervise. Problem behaviors went down. I guess the point is that if we allow ourselves to rely less on rules and more on common courtesy, trust, and respect, we may just be better off.
    Agreed.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Common sense and respect should be adequate guides for most circumstances. How would anyone make it to FR 44/4410 without climbing Dog River? The car and/or Oakridge would not be adequate substitutes for me. We are fortunate around here because are TH's are typically empty.
    Agreed, but the current uphill ROW rule actually seems to hurt common sense and respect in many circumstances. I've had many instances where uphill riders have had the far easier and more obvious yield opportunity and refuse it because the "rule" is uphill ROW. If a No ROW rule was in place, I feel it would reduce these types of interactions.

On Dog River, nothing would stop you from climbing with a downhill recommendation. You'd just know that you should yield (pull over) if you encounter downhill riders. Or you could just make it no ROW designated so common sense and courtesy controls. Its a decision that could easily be made at the local level.

This is all bike v. bike as well. Bikes need to yield to peds and horses on multiuse trails, whether I like it or not. Interestingly, I actually have had better interactions with many hikers yielding out of common courtesy than I have with ROW insistent bikers.

Sandy Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Agreed, but the current uphill ROW rule actually seems to hurt common sense and respect in many circumstances. I've had many instances where uphill riders have had the far easier and more obvious yield opportunity and refuse it because the "rule" is uphill ROW. If a No ROW rule was in place, I feel it would reduce these types of interactions.

On Dog River, nothing would stop you from climbing with a downhill recommendation. You'd just know that you should yield (pull over) if you encounter downhill riders. Or you could just make it no ROW designated so common sense and courtesy controls. Its a decision that could easily be made at the local level.

This is all bike v. bike as well. Bikes need to yield to peds and horses on multiuse trails, whether I like it or not. Interestingly, I actually have had better interactions with many hikers yielding out of common courtesy than I have with ROW insistent bikers.
    My rule of thumb is everybody yields to everybody. Better to stand there saying "after you", "no, after you" than running anyone off the trail. Be courteous, not entitled.

Much of the time it does not require stopping but just acknowledging each other's presence and space.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    What is going on with new trails up there? On Homestead road there is the trail on the right with the trail closed sign that has been there for some time, and a newer trail on the left where the road flattens out. I haven't explored any of them, probably should.

I was up there on Sunday and couldn't believe the number of people out riding. The dirt was perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I think the one you mention w the trail closed sign is the halfway point of FTL. It will put you just above the rock garden. The lower one at the flat section I think is used for trail maintenance access

mtbr member
    If we're thinking of the same one off to the left in the flat section. The one I am thinking is just before the climb around the big corner up by the power lines, it looked to me like it might be a short-cut that cuts part of that big corner under the power lines.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagtech360 View Post
    If we're thinking of the same one off to the left in the flat section. The one I am thinking is just before the climb around the big corner up by the power lines, it looked to me like it might be a short-cut that cuts part of that big corner under the power lines.
    Definitely a short cut, but, man, you'll have to earn it. Some steep pitches through there and some hoar frost to challenge you even more this time of year.

mtbr member
    any snow at sandy? heard snow levels are around 1000' in the hood area....i know its winter and thats expected but i was kinda diggin this inversion..
    Ride fast. Take chances.

www.stinride.com

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

No snow. Probably going to be a bit sloppy this weekend. We've had rain up here since Wednesday.

mtbr member
    i heard its snowing in zig zag...hard to believe that there isnt any snow near the top of the trail system if its snowing there...you rode today?
    Ride fast. Take chances.

www.stinride.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Question for those who know more about the permitting/land ownership around Sandy. What about adding a free ride skills area similar to Duthie, Post (Family Man/Middleschool/Drop Out) and Blackrock (basic training) in the area between the bottom of H&S and Little Monkey. Seems like a great place for 5-6 short lines with a mix of tables, gaps, drops and berms. It would also be a great way to spend 30 minutes at the end when you don't have time to make another run all the way to the top. I was thinking it could be done up high, but that would be a better spot for a longer trail and you'd want to be closer to medical services if you are going to build any features.

B42
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    i heard its snowing in zig zag...hard to believe that there isnt any snow near the top of the trail system if its snowing there...you rode today?
    Snow levels didn't come down until today and not to 1000' (I live above that about 2 miles from the base of SR). You have to get to about 2500' (Kawanis Camp) for any real snow and it's not really sticking until you get close to ~3500 (ski bowl). There was no snow Monday when I did ride. No, I didn't ride today because it's been 45 and raining all day and there is no snow on the trees on any of the ridges. If there was snow from any point this week (which I don't think there was) it was gone today with all the rain.

EDIT: For reference, the top of SR is about 2500' I originally said it was raining at ski bowl all day. I meant Kawanis camp.

After tonight, there might be. I'll post again at about 6:15AM what the temperature at the base is and if there is any snow down here.

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

36.5, no snow that I can see on the ridge when I left, but it was fairly dark still.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That is what I call service! Thanks for the report B42.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I but there is a good dusting of snow up at the top today.....cold and rainy here last night. Hopefully some will will post a few pics today!

happy trails,
    cb

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Oh yeah, there is snow on SR today. I hit about 5 inches about 2.8 miles up the road. Decided to power thru to Rock Drop and ended up pushing the bike for about 15 minutes due to the heavy snow. Turnables/Microwave was solid, just a few puddles.

mtbr member
    thanks b42!
    Ride fast. Take chances.

www.stinride.com

B42
    mtbr member
    I do what I can. FYI, it snowed at the base (just a dusting) last night so probably more up high. It's 33.5 at the bottom this morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm just gonna hazard a guess that I shouldn't try to get out there for a ride tomorrow right? I had planned for the day off and I would ride if it were agreeable but I'm thinking it doesn't look like a good idea right now... Just someone please tell me if I'm insane or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    I'm just gonna hazard a guess that I shouldn't try to get out there for a ride tomorrow right? I had planned for the day off and I would ride if it were agreeable but I'm thinking it doesn't look like a good idea right now... Just someone please tell me if I'm insane or not.
    It is supposed to snow into the morning in Sandy with a chance snow through the rest of the day. Bring a fat bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    The snow was too deep to ride about 3/4 mile from the upper shelter on Monday night. Rock Drop was rideable starting around the second set of table tops. Snow started getting patchy through Two Turntables and gone by lower Hide and Seek. With this last round of snow today and tomorrow, you might be able to get a decent run from Quid Pro Flow down.

B42
    mtbr member
    There is no riding at SR right now unless you are using a fat bike. There is 6+ inches of snow at the base and it's still falling hard. About 1/2 inch every 45 minutes.

Hey, why are you on this forum anyway? You should be up riding the snow. It's awesome powder right now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    anybody head up recently during this thaw?Snow report? Lower section should be pretty much snow free-just a guess.

thax,
    chris

B42
    mtbr member
    The lower half is completely clear other than a couple of ice spots. TTM is also clear. Rock Drop, not so much. You will not be able to carry speed, and will have to deal with 3-4 inches at times (front side and back side of jumps). Communication breakdown is almost fully covered for the 100yards I walked up it from the top of RD. 338 sucks on the top (where almost nobody rides anymore), lower (climb to TTM from Quid Pro Flow)) should be clear in the trees. Quid Pro Flow looked bad in the open areas, 2-3 inches of snow in areas. I didn't walk on follow the leader, but based on the other snow it's probably covered in the open areas (rock gardens) and decent in the trees. Flow Motion was fine, but had quite a bit of mud/water on it. H&S Upper was fine, but good luck getting across the creek. It was a raging river (that I didn't try to cross on foot). I probably would have done it downhill on a bike, but you are going to get wet. The road can probably be ridden the entire way especially if the 1/4 of wet snow that fell this morning melts off. Oh, the connector from the top kiosk to the top of rock drop sucks. Snow drifts.

If I were to ride knowing what I do now, I would climb the road to the kiosk, ride down the first section of H&S, take the trail to the top of TTM, maybe climb up and do Flow Motion (depends on how you feel about some mud), then run lower H&S.

FYI, a great big thank you to the person/persons that cleared out the trees crossing over lower H&S. I got all the rest of the ones that had fallen in the last few days and were movable by hand so it should be fairly clean right now and the wind is much lighter than that the past week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the info B42! And a bigger thax to you and all others who take time to stop and clear the trails of branches.

I like the new entrance to ttt. I hope there will be more trails added to SR in 2014 but I heard from a blm guy that this is it as far as trails go. But crews will continue to pimp out existing trails over time....very cool!

Chris

mtbr member
    Heading up to Portland at the end of the month and debating on if I should bring the bikes. Been wanting to ride Sandy Ridge for a while are the trails pretty rideable?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    do it
    it was super nice up there last weekend & even with the rain, it stays pretty clear. plus it's supposed to get sunny and warm this weekend and into next week. should be tits.

sidenote: finally branching out and riding the other trails (not just 338 & HS). to any studs / studettes that clear the Rock Drop or the big boulder field on Communication Breakdown - my hat is tipped to you & i say 'you are my hero'.

gotta have goals
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    do it
    it was super nice up there last weekend & even with the rain, it stays pretty clear. plus it's supposed to get sunny and warm this weekend and into next week. should be tits.

sidenote: finally branching out and riding the other trails (not just 338 & HS). to any studs / studettes that clear the Rock Drop or the big boulder field on Communication Breakdown - my hat is tipped to you & i say 'you are my hero'.

gotta have goals

Awesome, thanks! Are the trails pretty easy to follow for someone who has never been?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    it seems huge up there, but you pretty much can't get lost if you point downhill. eventually you'll just hit the main paved road - some trails dump onto the main road and then you either climb back to the top or you can take a half way point entry back on to Hide & Seek & ride it to the bottom.

i carry a small trail map i just printed out from the BLM site (or maybe its the Forest Service - just google 'sandy ridge trail map')

it's super nice cause the trail is made to be ridden when wet. granted, i should have avoided it a couple weeks ago when it was pouring and the last 3/4 mile of the road was covered in 3-4 inches of snow, but i just got a new bike and have a mighty hankering.

have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, the trails are easy to follow and there is a map at the parking area and at the kiosk approximately 3 miles up the road. Just a bit over 3 miles... hard to get lost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do you mean the rock garden on Quid Pro Flow, or the rock garden on Follow The Leader? Just curious... FTL is on the right side of the road across from the kiosk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Do you mean the rock garden on Quid Pro Flow, or the rock garden on Follow The Leader? Just curious... FTL is on the right side of the road across from the kiosk.
    if you are asking me, i am talking about the big rock drop on the trail of the same name & then the boulder / rock field (about 100 yards long or so) on Communication Breakdown (i'm almost positive it's Communication Breakdown)

i think FTL & the jump trail (Little Monkey) are the only trails i haven't been on yet.

i'm pretty dang sure i rode Quid Pro Flow & didn't notice anything that made me stop and say "holy shiat no"

which brings up something that's taking me some getting used to now that i'm on a fancy new full squish bike: speed helps & my new bike is more than capable of handling it.

also: i'm intimidated as hell by those two features.. but - gotta have goals. helps to also watch others clear it to see how they did it.

k i'd like to go riding now

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I followed a friend right over the rock drop once. I didn't crash, but my eyes got real big when I realized I should have been popping off that rock rather than rolling over it. I guess since I made it, I did it correctly Don't grab the brakes and it tends to work itself out.

I can't think of any rock field on Communication Breakdown. It does spit you out onto the rock garden of Quid Pro Flow, which takes some practice to ride through without stopping.

You might be getting some of the names mixed up or not realizing you changed trails. If you ride Rock Drop -> Quid Pro Flow -> 338 segment -> entrance of Two Turntables, it will seem as if you never turned off any trail.

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...ap2013_508.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    well done on the rock drop - did you just roll all the way down or actually jump? seems super steep and really long to roll down it & that corner right after it (along with "holy crap this is high up") kept me taking the sissy way around for my first time seeing it... and honestly doubt that i'll be launching off it anytime soon. i'm not used to all this jump in the air stuff. i'm working on popping off some of the smaller stuff, but even the big table tops freak me out cause it seems to just want to launch me straight up.

practice practice and all that.

as for the rock garden - you are probably right & i'm just getting my trails confused. i did make it down the last half of it this last weekend and i was happy, but i know i'm not going fast enough ... still trying to "pick my way" instead of just mowing it down.
    & i just rolled the (kinda big) rock at the end, instead of launching like i saw some stud do.
    i've only been up to sandy maybe 10 times & only the last couple have i wandered onto the trails other than 338 & H&S. enjoying it more and more every time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The rock section you are referring to is on Quid Pro Flow. Speed really helps through this portion, especially when riding a dual suspension bike. Have fun!!! BTW, you can roll the "rock drop", but be careful and stay a bit to the left.

mtbr member
    I've convinced my 7 year old nephew that he needs to come ride with me at Sandy Ridge. I'm looking for some video to send to him. Does anybody have Good video of the easier trails like Lower Hide and Seek and Flow Motion or even Laura's Loop. I've done a little searching on Youtube and Vimeo and most of it is terrible.

This will be my first outing with a kid, any suggestions. Obviously I don't want to scare the sh!t out of him on upper trails. I'm also thinking about rigging a tow line for the climb up the road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would check out the Homestead loop as well. I like to ride around it once before heading up the road. It has nice views of the creek and there is an abandoned car if you take a left at the branch point on the backside of the loop.

I don't have any video, but I have noticed that the default video setting on youtube is low quality. Click on the gear icon and change it to the highest setting. That being said, the few videos I clicked through were fast riding that would probably be intimidating.

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    OHM, depending on your nephew's skill level and ability/willingness to ride up the road a tow line would be a good idea. He'll still be able to pedal to help you, but it will leave him with energy for the fun parts. For my 4 year old I've used a simple shock cord available by the foot at REI or equivalent. It is elastic so when there are variations in help from the towee and variations in pull power from the person towing it doesn't jerk the kid around. It doesn't need to be complicated. I have tied a loop in each end of about an 8 foot section of shock cord and then loop one end over my son's stem and attach the other end to my hydration pack to get it a little higher than my rear wheel. We've never tangled it in either of our bikes/wheels.

The suggestion for the homestead loop around the parking lot is good, especially for a warm up. In our experience starting at the main kiosk and riding counter clockwise puts the climb at the beginning and then once past the bridge provides a consistent trip the rest of the way around without the need for a tow. Depending on skill level of your nephew, I would suggest possibly starting the higher trails by going into lower hide-and-seek at the gravel entrance below the power lines, before you get to the TNT trail off-shoot (it's obvious on the left). That section is much less intimidating than some of the other sections a little higher up on lower hide-and-seek.

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

I'll second the gravel entrance below TNT. That's where I took my wife in on her first trip up. I've had a few other beginners come down from half way and the rocked left turn, and the steep banked turns really freak then out.

The new beginner flow trail may be open. It's entrance is on the right side of the road past Laura's loop. Can't miss it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It wasn't open on Tuesday. There was a sign that clearly said "Trail CLOSED".

Don't expect a 7 year old kid to enjoy most of the trails at Sandy. Most will be daunting and over the top for someone fresh on a bike, much less a 7 year old. Those steep downhill oriented berms will look terrifying to him, as well as any rock, speed or exposure.

Go somewhere else, maybe Powell Butte or even just riding on some old grass lands with deer trails.

mtbr member
    If anyone heads out in the rain let me know how it is. Brought the bikes all the way up here to ride and looks like rain all weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fetad View Post
    I would check out the Homestead loop as well. I like to ride around it once before heading up the road. It has nice views of the creek and there is an abandoned car if you take a left at the branch point on the backside of the loop.

I don't have any video, but I have noticed that the default video setting on youtube is low quality. Click on the gear icon and change it to the highest setting. That being said, the few videos I clicked through were fast riding that would probably be intimidating.
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    OHM, depending on your nephew's skill level and ability/willingness to ride up the road a tow line would be a good idea. He'll still be able to pedal to help you, but it will leave him with energy for the fun parts. For my 4 year old I've used a simple shock cord available by the foot at REI or equivalent. It is elastic so when there are variations in help from the towee and variations in pull power from the person towing it doesn't jerk the kid around. It doesn't need to be complicated. I have tied a loop in each end of about an 8 foot section of shock cord and then loop one end over my son's stem and attach the other end to my hydration pack to get it a little higher than my rear wheel. We've never tangled it in either of our bikes/wheels.

The suggestion for the homestead loop around the parking lot is good, especially for a warm up. In our experience starting at the main kiosk and riding counter clockwise puts the climb at the beginning and then once past the bridge provides a consistent trip the rest of the way around without the need for a tow. Depending on skill level of your nephew, I would suggest possibly starting the higher trails by going into lower hide-and-seek at the gravel entrance below the power lines, before you get to the TNT trail off-shoot (it's obvious on the left). That section is much less intimidating than some of the other sections a little higher up on lower hide-and-seek.
    I'll second the gravel entrance below TNT. That's where I took my wife in on her first trip up. I've had a few other beginners come down from half way and the rocked left turn, and the steep banked turns really freak then out.

The new beginner flow trail may be open. It's entrance is on the right side of the road past Laura's loop. Can't miss it.
    Thanks for the tips. The bungee cord idea sounds perfect and I'll definitely check out the Homestead Loop. Hopefully the lower gravel entrance is still open.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    It wasn't open on Tuesday. There was a sign that clearly said "Trail CLOSED".

Don't expect a 7 year old kid to enjoy most of the trails at Sandy. Most will be daunting and over the top for someone fresh on a bike, much less a 7 year old. Those steep downhill oriented berms will look terrifying to him, as well as any rock, speed or exposure.

Go somewhere else, maybe Powell Butte or even just riding on some old grass lands with deer trails.
    He's a tough little dude and I'm pretty sure he will enjoy some of the lower sections of Hide and Seek. He did ask me if we could ride as fast as a cheetah. I am a little concerned about others riding fast and us riding slow.

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bet he'll be psyched on the trails. I've seen several small kids riding out there having a good time. It's awesome to hear the kid in front of you on the way down whooping and hooting. I've typically ridden behind my kid on the way down. Mostly to provide a buffer and to be able to let him know to pull over to let others pass. We've never had complaints, but have received a lot of encouragement.

Also, just to confirm that gravel entrance I am referring to is for lower hide and seek. It is on the left just after the second big right hander on the road and before the entrance to little monkey and TNT (which are on the right). It intersects with hide and seek about 100 feet in. It was open on Sunday. The "closed trail" sign I believe is referring to the not yet finished trail which is located on the right side of the road after Laura's Loop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A friend of mine rides Sandy with his two boys. The younger one is not seven yet and he has a blast on Hide & Seek. I witnessed "John" towing his youngest up the road and they both appeared to be enjoying it. As far as rider conflict just make sure that he does not bark or nip at anyone and you should be fine. Cheers to you honorable uncle!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    If anyone heads out in the rain let me know how it is. Brought the bikes all the way up here to ride and looks like rain all weekend!
    Fat Tire Farm is putting on a race out there this weekend - Mountain Man Challenge | no sissies, no whining

Maybe take the bikes out there and get a little dirty?

B42
    mtbr member

Sandy Ridge

Oh, you WILL be getting dirty if you are up here this weekend. The gravel entrance in the left is always open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Thanks for the tips. The bungee cord idea sounds perfect and I'll definitely check out the Homestead Loop. Hopefully the lower gravel entrance is still open.

He's a tough little dude and I'm pretty sure he will enjoy some of the lower sections of Hide and Seek. He did ask me if we could ride as fast as a cheetah. I am a little concerned about others riding fast and us riding slow.
    Be careful with using an elastic tow rope. If it snaps, the end is going to whip and either nail you in the back or hit your kid in the face, neither of which sound pleasant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr77 View Post
    Be careful with using an elastic tow rope. If it snaps, the end is going to whip and either nail you in the back or hit your kid in the face, neither of which sound pleasant.
    I used bungee cord in loose terms, but hadn't thought of it snapping though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 55