Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Rode Sandy Friday after work and yeah it's pretty blown out (not much more than this time last year though).
    About this time last year I had bounced my head off of a tree, so I don't have much to compare this year too.

A lot of guys there getting in some practice runs for the race, and this will obviously add to how blown out it will get. Not sure I understand the concept of shuttle days or events held on our fragile local trails that just kill them for the rest of us. Can someone explain that to me?
    I'm kind of torn on on this one...On one hand, all the extra tires can't be a good thing, but on the other, I do believe the race promoters usually do give back.

Don't even get me started on the genius idea of throwing 3/4 rock down everywhere.
    I agree with you here, but it is much better than it was earlier in the year. That section under the power lines sure is loose with the rock over the top of the hard pack.

Also to anybody that is or knows anybody who is cutting the roots out of Browns camp please STOP! There are very few challenges on our trails and if I catch anybody robbing me of them your tools are getting tossed down the ravine. Have a nice day.
    This is too bad.

If anybody wants to ride some super technical trails, I'm hoping to get up to the Wright Meadow and Craggy Peak trails in late September, as long as it doesn't start raining before then. I rode it in early August and hit snow about a mile before the Boundary Trail. I guarantee the descent will leave you smiling for weeks. And, yeah...If you've ever been up there, it's a bit ironic to put this in a thread whining about trail quality.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    About this time last year I had bounced my head off of a tree, so I don't have much to compare this year too.

I'm kind of torn on on this one...On one hand, all the extra tires can't be a good thing, but on the other, I do believe the race promoters usually do give back.

I agree with you here, but it is much better than it was earlier in the year. That section under the power lines sure is loose with the rock over the top of the hard pack.

This is too bad.

If anybody wants to ride some super technical trails, I'm hoping to get up to the Wright Meadow and Craggy Peak trails in late September, as long as it doesn't start raining before then. I rode it in early August and hit snow about a mile before the Boundary Trail. I guarantee the descent will leave you smiling for weeks. And, yeah...If you've ever been up there, it's a bit ironic to put this in a thread whining about trail quality.
    Weekends are best. I like it up there. Rain would be even better. It would be the first excursion to that area this year. pm... Snake should go as well
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Weekends are best. I like it up there. Rain would be even better. It would be the first excursion to that area this year. pm... Snake should go as well
    Probably be the last weekend of September.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Help out a Sandy Ridge noob?

Never been to Sandy Rdige, but picked up a map from the forest service last time I was out that way. Looks like the best place to park is Homestead Gate (I assume you can't drive up Homestead Rd)? Then you ride up Homestead to the main entrance to the trails, which looks like about 800ft climb over a couple of miles? Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    I rode the system today, It is pretty damn rutted from the contest. Also, the organizers left their tape, signs, and cones all over. Pretty lame, I hope they have plans to clean up their crap but I doubt it. I think that there should be a mandatory work day post contest for any organizers that want to use the trail system.

FKA Malibu412
    pdxer, there's a new parking area for SR now so you don't park at the gate. And yes, you can't drive up Homestead. Road ride to the various trail access points.

I rode lower H&S last week (only has a short time for a ride) and it was blown to hell, worst I've ever seen it, even after last year's race. Too bad the promoters didn't make plans for cleanup.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by danguskhan View Post
    I rode the system today, It is pretty damn rutted from the contest. Also, the organizers left their tape, signs, and cones all over. Pretty lame, I hope they have plans to clean up their crap but I doubt it. I think that there should be a mandatory work day post contest for any organizers that want to use the trail system.
    They were too busy driving up the "climb". Too bad... a few years back they actually improved Dog River. That lasted about two weeks. Since that event trail restoration after gravity events has been about zero. Rain and CX may provide some relief for the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't think the tape and cones will just be left. The race finished about 4pm on sunday and then the event staff had to go strait into the awards that lasted till about 9pm. All of the staff for the enduro race are volunteers for the most part and they can't be expected to have it all cleaned and the trails groomed to fit everyones needs over night. I know that proceeds from the race go directly into the trails and trail programs in the area as well.

mtbr member
    I rode Sandy Ridge today. It looks like the ribbon, signs and garbage (except for a huge pile in bags near the bathroom) have been cleaned up.

I was a little surprised on the condition of the trail. It's much worse than before the Enduro race last weekend, but not nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be. There are some big, and I mean big brake bumps into some, if not all of the corners on lower Hide and Seek.

I think I now know which root poppa is talking about. It looks like somebody went in with a ax and chopped out a small section of the root. It seems much worse now than before.

Does anybody know if we can just go up and do work? I assume not, but I'd love to go up with a broom and sweep off the gravel on that twisty section under the power lines. On a positive note, it appears the high number of tires over the weekend did push some of it out of the groove.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think we all want the gravel gone so if you pushed it out with a broom we'd all look the other way. Even some of the pro racers were complaining about the gravel.

Eric the Red
    I'm going to be in OR next week and Sandy Ridge is on the itinerary. I hope it's as much fun as the IMBA guy told us, and I'll be sure to lay off the brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I think we all want the gravel gone so if you pushed it out with a broom we'd all look the other way. Even some of the pro racers were complaining about the gravel.
    I wonder if a push broom would be best or one of those old straw types?

And to add, there was a pile of broken glass in the parking lot, I assume from a broken window.

mtbr member
    Well I'm planning on hitting Sandy on the 13th - birthday night out and need a ride so I guess I'll take what I can in the way of trail conditions

Ed

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I'm assuming the Enduro Series will either do clean up trail work or give money to NWTA. Most of the endurance events I have done have given lots of money to the local IMBA chapter. I forget how much money the High Cascade 100 gave to COTA but it was a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode out there for the first time in a few months due to an injury. I actually like that it's a bit worked and blown out... adds a bit of challenge.

The removal of that root is inexcusable though. I just couldn't believe it when I came up in that section, so sad.

mtbr member
    While yes, races do give the trail lots of rubber on the ground, as mentioned, often that can almost improve the trails. The groove will be more solid, which you can't "man make". Filling some holes, that will eventually happen any way, is easier than "wearing in" a surface to make it good and fast.

You guys should see Whoops trail here in Bend. No race traffic, but crap it looks like 50 Enduros came through here.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Sandy Ridge race video for all you that missed it! Devon put on a great race, check it out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anybody doing singlespeed at Sandy Ridge? Got a good recommendation for a noobie to get up the f'ing hill?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yard View Post
    Anybody doing singlespeed at Sandy Ridge? Got a good recommendation for a noobie to get up the f'ing hill?
    I always ride the SSPD up there. 29'R 32X18,19,20 any choice is fine. One friend ran a 32x16, he STOOD UP ALOT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah I was 29er 33x17 and walked a good portion. Oops.. haha Though doing it as a shuttle would be perfect as the downhill of everything else was conducive to the gearing..

I got nothin'
    I make it easy on myself. I ride 32 x 22 on a 29er. At that gearing I can sit and pedal much of the uphill and I am still fine spinning coming down.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Been wanting to try that one...still haven't made it out there yet..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know the progress of the new east side trail? I haven't heard or seen any equipment up there for a while and have not seen any build days for the new trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    walked up there a week ago to have a look. Nice trail! Seems like its got some technical rock sections and a few good drops,

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I can't wait! Sandy really needs some gnar.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast