Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm very far from an experienced trail builder but I have attended a few build days. I thought the berm work and drainage work all looked good and just needs ridden in. The really small sharp doubles just didn't ride well. I think once they wear down a bit and become more rounded they will just be another section to manual through. Maybe the larger bumps before the last right corner should have been spaced differently or made longer and not so short and steep? I appreciate all the work done out there recently and when its done by volunteers you cant expect everyone to know what they are doing and please everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nw youth corps and some imba folks were up doing trail work the last few days. Adding some flair to the lower trails and I think the novice loop around the parking lot.......Thanks people!

Road SR today, rained most of the time and pretty muddy but trails are in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    rode sandy twice over the holiday and have the following observations:

btw: I'm a terrible creature of habit, so I tend to ride the same route (rock drop / ttt / lower h&s

the dirt is great & the upkeep in areas is appreciated. the new and sort of odd rollers at lower h&s are ... well they are odd. granted, I'm just some novice, but they seem out of place, like the building crew had an extra load of gravel and left if there for a future plan. no big deal, just an observation.

another observation: grumpy kids on the trail. I'm not saying you have to make out with me or call me 'bro', but a slight acknowledgement of your fellow human wouldn't be out of line. some serious "too cool for school" kids up there recently, and it gives me a sad face.

last observation - maybe more of a question: when I catch up to someone on the downhill, I kind of cruise along until they pull over... then I go past with a wave and a "thanks"

however, a few times lately I've had fast fellows behind me get mighty impatient. to them I'd like to say: chill bra' , I'm just trying to find a safe spot to pull over so you can continue your race...your grumpy-ness isn't helping.

l8r sk8rs
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

mtbr member
    I only ride Sandy about twice a year so I don't recall the before and after of the berms/jumps/humps that seem to be so controversial. What I do know is that after riding Flow Motion, all other berms/jumps/humps on the entire trail system should be deemed pointless and irrelevant.

Maybe its because I'm more of an XC rider and lack the proper skill for the AM/flow/hucking stuff, but after riding Follow the Leader and Flow Mo, all of the other trails/berms/descents just feel poorly constructed. Everyone complains and bashes less experienced riders for creating braking bumps on the berms, but how on earth can anyone go down the Turntable trail wide open without scrubbing some speed into those berms? I find I'm hitting 20mph on that trail, and the radius of those berms seem far too small to handle that kind of speed. Leader has a lot of well placed natural speed checks (rocks, rocks, and more rocks) and most of the berms on Flow Mo are robust enough to take at or near full speed. It also seems like the speed checks and fuller berms are going to wear down a lot slower than those super fast mini-berms on other trails. After experiencing these two new trails I'm probably going to exceed my twice a year quota.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    how on earth can anyone go down the Turntable trail wide open without scrubbing some speed into those berms? I find I'm hitting 20mph on that trail, and the radius of those berms seem far too small to handle that kind of speed.
    Scrubbing speed doesn't cause braking bumps, but slamming on the brakes does -- especially when riding hardtails, (according to the rental shop at Ski Bowl). It's a common behavior of less experienced descenders. That's why the extra resentment exists, I think. Anyway, all but perhaps one of those berms is tall enough to handle fairly quick speed if ridden high enough. Tires shouldn't be breaking loose much, maybe just drifting a little bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What I do know is that after riding Flow Motion, all other berms/jumps/humps on the entire trail system should be deemed pointless and irrelevant.
    The other thing to consider is that as the trails have evolved - so have the trail building skills. Some of the original lines need an update for sure - the 1st berms are nowhere near the quality of the new stuff, but are still fun as sh!t to ride. Are there some tight berms on TT's? sure, but they can be railed through with a little practice - just keep riding them. If you really want to see where trial building is headed - load your stuff up and blast down to the new Alsea Falls system between Corvallis and Eugene. Only one real line in right now but easily one of if not the best purpose built flow MTB trails in the state. Imagine if Flow Motion was even flowy-er and ran the length of the entire Upper / Lower Hide n Seek...that's what you've got there. Taking nothing away from the work, trails and killer riding we have at Sandy - just pointing out what else is out there for comparison. It's a pretty freaking awesome time to be a mountain biker for sure - huge thanks to all the trail gnomes.

Only other thing to add re: the additional pump bumps and jumps built in - not so sure about the wisdom of including them on the little feeder trail to the main lower gate at Sandy out of the parking lot. It's created a near full on jump line in both directions and that is the last little route to get to the gate. I predict a collision or two. It's way fun though......

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    try as i might, i can rarely (or never) let go of the brakes completely around the turns on TTT

i tip my cap to those that can

i did finally start clearing the little doubles on rock drop - sure haul ass when i do it properly and land on the back side instead of casing it on the flat part

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Only other thing to add re: the additional pump bumps and jumps built in - not so sure about the wisdom of including them on the little feeder trail to the main lower gate at Sandy out of the parking lot. It's created a near full on jump line in both directions and that is the last little route to get to the gate. I predict a collision or two. It's way fun though......
    It's a mini pump track to build skill - they put it there so you don't even have to pedal (either direction) if you do it right. I'm surprised at the lack of understanding that section gets with the rise of pump track popularity these days and I rarely see anyone riding it correctly either. The ones complaining about it are usually the XC racer/roadie types.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I guess I've been mislead, I've always heard that any braking will ruin a berm. But I suppose the theory could be that if an advanced rider has to use brakes, a novice will likely use too much brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    It's a mini pump track to build skill - they put it there so you don't even have to pedal (either direction) if you do it right. I'm surprised at the lack of understanding that section gets with the rise of pump track popularity these days and I rarely see anyone riding it correctly either. The ones complaining about it are usually the XC racer/roadie types.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I doubt there is any confusion as to what it is or how to use it. The perplexing part is that its bi-directional and extremely congested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I doubt there is any confusion as to what it is or how to use it. The perplexing part is that its bi-directional and extremely congested.
    Zero confusion about what it is or how to use it. My point was about its placement in the one section of trail between the parking lot signage and the lower gate - its just an access point, it is bi directional and congested. To be fair I haven't ridden the entire parking lot loop since the work was done and don't know if the rest of it has been converted to to pump track style - but I think that would be awesome. Anybody on the little feeder is coming and or going to the actual trails and will likely have a handle on rolling bumps and use of the backside transitions on said bumps. I personally wouldn't consider this an appropriate section for "skills" building since the entire loop around the lot was supposed to be for that? The pump bumps are large and you can now generate considerable no peddle speed to the point that for me at least I have to either speed up or slow down because it sure feels like the bumps are close enough together that they will be turned into doubles style jumps - probably more of a problem on the way back since anyone coming out of the trails is still in downhill trail mode and it generally wont stop if presented with more fun sh!t to fly up off and over, where you will encounter someone just leaving the lot all mellow and not already adrenaline firing. I personally appreciate all of it and will use it to its fullest, I just hope everybody is paying attention on the way in and out because the way it is now there is elevated potential for rider collision.

mtbr member
    Visibility is great on that section so I really don't see it ever being a problem. Then again, I avoid that place like the plague on weekends so maybe it has more traffic issues than I'm aware of.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

JHH
    mtbr member
    Heading up to your fine state visiting friends and trail heads. Sandy is on the list and I'm looking for suggestions for intermediate level loops in the 5-8 mi range with about 1000-1200' of elevation. Nothing to steep going up as that sucks all the life out of my wife's asthmatic lungs. Thanks.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I guess I've been mislead, I've always heard that any braking will ruin a berm. But I suppose the theory could be that if an advanced rider has to use brakes, a novice will likely use too much brake.
    Well, if you're braking *in the berm* you're doing it wrong no matter how softly you brake. Entering those berms, sure, scrubbing speed makes sense and you won't really damage the trail. The frowned upon behavior is locking/skidding, which is what causes all those holes just ahead of the berms to form in the dry months. There's really nothing steep enough at Sandy to justify locking up a wheel. That said, quite a few of the berms at Sandy are just poorly designed: too shallow and/or have a decreasing radius. They pretty much force most riders to slam on the brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    Zero confusion about what it is or how to use it. My point was about its placement in the one section of trail between the parking lot signage and the lower gate - its just an access point, it is bi directional and congested. To be fair I haven't ridden the entire parking lot loop since the work was done and don't know if the rest of it has been converted to to pump track style - but I think that would be awesome. Anybody on the little feeder is coming and or going to the actual trails and will likely have a handle on rolling bumps and use of the backside transitions on said bumps. I personally wouldn't consider this an appropriate section for "skills" building since the entire loop around the lot was supposed to be for that? The pump bumps are large and you can now generate considerable no peddle speed to the point that for me at least I have to either speed up or slow down because it sure feels like the bumps are close enough together that they will be turned into doubles style jumps - probably more of a problem on the way back since anyone coming out of the trails is still in downhill trail mode and it generally wont stop if presented with more fun sh!t to fly up off and over, where you will encounter someone just leaving the lot all mellow and not already adrenaline firing. I personally appreciate all of it and will use it to its fullest, I just hope everybody is paying attention on the way in and out because the way it is now there is elevated potential for rider collision.
    this is well said and should be repeated

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JLF1200 View Post
    Well, if you're braking *in the berm* you're doing it wrong no matter how softly you brake. Entering those berms, sure, scrubbing speed makes sense and you won't really damage the trail. The frowned upon behavior is locking/skidding, which is what causes all those holes just ahead of the berms to form in the dry months. There's really nothing steep enough at Sandy to justify locking up a wheel. That said, quite a few of the berms at Sandy are just poorly designed: too shallow and/or have a decreasing radius. They pretty much force most riders to slam on the brakes.
    so i don't just suck?
    cause based on how fast i've seen some people go, i think i just kinda suck

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    Heading up to your fine state visiting friends and trail heads. Sandy is on the list and I'm looking for suggestions for intermediate level loops in the 5-8 mi range with about 1000-1200' of elevation. Nothing to steep going up as that sucks all the life out of my wife's asthmatic lungs. Thanks.
    rock drop / quid pro flow / two turntables / lower hide n seek

-seems to be the preferred route by many (including myself & it seems to be all i ever ride cause i'm a creature of habit & will likely be doing it again tomorrow)
    can be ridden pretty tame but gets more fun & exciting the faster you go.
    you can mix in 'communication breakdown' if you want more climbing

have fun!

JHH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    rock drop / quid pro flow / two turntables / lower hide n seek

-seems to be the preferred route by many (including myself & it seems to be all i ever ride cause i'm a creature of habit & will likely be doing it again tomorrow)
    can be ridden pretty tame but gets more fun & exciting the faster you go.
    you can mix in 'communication breakdown' if you want more climbing

have fun!
    Thanks Inner Ted. How is the climb up Homestead to Flow Motion?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks Inner Ted. How is the climb up Homestead to Flow Motion?
    long, boring & steep. if you make it that far, you've made it about 2/3 of the way to the top. flow motion is a lot of fun, but it's not exactly for beginners (not sure where you and your lady fit in the spectrum)

there are 2 cut-ins to Lower Hide & Seek (smooth & flowy, great for beginners but can be fun for everyone by going faster) from the paved climb.

the first cut in is on the left (as you're climbing) under the power lines
    the second cut in to Lower Hide & Seek is at the half way point of the Homestead climb. it also is on the left (as you climb) & there is a helpful sign too. this is also the exit point of Flow Motion

hope that is helpful

JHH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    long, boring & steep. if you make it that far, you've made it about 2/3 of the way to the top. flow motion is a lot of fun, but it's not exactly for beginners (not sure where you and your lady fit in the spectrum)

there are 2 cut-ins to Lower Hide & Seek (smooth & flowy, great for beginners but can be fun for everyone by going faster) from the paved climb.

the first cut in is on the left (as you're climbing) under the power lines
    the second cut in to Lower Hide & Seek is at the half way point of the Homestead climb. it also is on the left (as you climb) & there is a helpful sign too. this is also the exit point of Flow Motion

hope that is helpful
    That's very helpful. We have solid skills but ride more XC style then chunky gnar flare as we don't mend like we used too. My wife has asthma so I look for easier climbs so she can ride longer. I'm stoked to ride Sandy as I've heard a lot great tings about the trail system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's very helpful. We have solid skills but ride more XC style then chunky gnar flare as we don't mend like we used too. My wife has asthma so I look for easier climbs so she can ride longer. I'm stoked to ride Sandy as I've heard a lot great tings about the trail system.
    i've the same background and it takes some getting used to the "new" style of mt. biking.

a new badass bike helps a lot. if you were like me and have an old XC hardtail, it will likely feel a bit overwhelmed up there.

put your seat down on the way down

JHH
    mtbr member
    Great riding! Must come back again and ride more of this place. My wife really loved Hide and Seek. me too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    glad you made it & come back anytime! it's pretty great riding up there almost year round.

B42
    mtbr member
    Does anyone have any idea why Flow Motion and Lower Hide and Seek are marked 'Hazardous' on Strava? I crushed my PR (been working on my cornering a LOT) but no badge for me on this ride... or ever on these segments again..
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rode SR today, grear ride but man is it getting dry and loose! I hit the new little pump section called Lauras line at the end of my run. Did thetrail builders get rid of the Lauras loop section or did I just miss the entrance for it? My eight year old loves doing that loop.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast