Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Filed under Sandy Lost and Found....

Long shot but if anyone found a pair of 5 10s in the lot this morning let me know....left them there late yesterday / Sunday and I was last guy out of the lot.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any word on if they will be building a new trail this summer? I heard a rumor that another trail to the bottom was being scooped out but have heard nothing since. A new trail at SR would be rad!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    Any word on if they will be building a new trail this summer? I heard a rumor that another trail to the bottom was being scooped out but have heard nothing since. A new trail at SR would be rad!
    Last time I talked with Jason W. it sounds like there is planning for a new top to parking lot trail in the works. The BLM purchased the land uphill from the parking area. No idea on the timing or style of trail.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Exciting stuff coming to SR!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anybody been up to SR lately? Conditions? Snow?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Haven't been up this week but bet is pretty good right now. Maybe some trace snow laying around.

mtbr member
    Rode at night on Friday and trails are primo. One downed tree across upper hide&seek and upper creek crossing is kinda gnarly but that's it.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I rode yesterday and the only trail I won't hit again for a while is Follow the Leader. It wasn't terrible, but it was messy with lots more rocks and broken branches than I remember from summer. Everything else was perfect, and I didn't run into any downed trees. The only snow is in large chunks by the paved road and a couple tiny patches off-trail on FtL.

mtbr member
    NWTA is putting on a shuttle day on Saturday, May 14th, 2016. 200 spots total. About 150 left as of this posting. Details:

Sandy Ridge Shuttle Day! | NWTA Northwest Trail Alliance

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thumbs up to the crew doing the recent work on Little Monkey! Good stuff:-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

visiting Sandy Ridge

Next week I'll be in Portland for business and as it looks right now I'll have a day off on Friday. I would love to sneak in a day of riding at Sandy Ridge. Any recommendations on renting a proper mountainbike? Rent one in Sandy or in Portland?

Thanks! frank

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't know if there's a good place to rent in Sandy or not, but people should try to rent and buy as close to the trail system as you can, to show the local community that the trails are good for the local economy. BLM is facing legal challenges to their management plan, arguing that recreation isn't a real economic driver in comparison to increased logging. It's important that recreation areas like Sandy Ridge are seen as an economic positive to local communities so they can grow and multiply.

Quote Originally Posted by roxtr View Post
    Next week I'll be in Portland for business and as it looks right now I'll have a day off on Friday. I would love to sneak in a day of riding at Sandy Ridge. Any recommendations on renting a proper mountainbike? Rent one in Sandy or in Portland?

Thanks! frank

mtbr member
    Next week I'll be in Portland for business and as it looks right now I'll have a day off on Friday.
    If you can push it to Saturday there's going to be demo bikes from Cyclepath during the shuttle event. You could try calling them about rentals if you're locked in to Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by waterflow View Post
    I don't know if there's a good place to rent in Sandy or not
    Otto's is the only one. I don't know if it's good.

mtbr member

Thanks! frank
    Otto's in Sandy has Trek FS for rent if I recall. The only other rental options now are up in Hood River. I agree with the Saturday option if you can get a spot for the shuttle day.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    We have only rented from Mountain Shop in Portland proper once - they are a bit on the pricey side at 89/day. They only carry salsa bikes, check their website. Also, it seems their primary rental market is ski/board gear, and only 1 guy there seemed to be hip to setting up a mtb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    If you can push it to Saturday there's going to be demo bikes from Cyclepath during the shuttle event. You could try calling them about rentals if you're locked in to Friday.
    That would have been great! Unfortunately I'm already flying home on Saturday so I'll have to stick to Friday.
    I will give Cyclepath a call once I've arrived, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I've rented a bike at Otto's in Sandy on Friday, very friendly owner and a good bike. Drove up to Sandy trailhead and had a blast there! The weather was great and the trails are awesome. Nice flow, not to technical and some beautiful views of Mt. Hood. I liked it a lot!

mtbr member
    Shuttle day was tons of fun. Big improvement / tuning of the entrance of Two Turntables and a Microwave. Bought a T-shirt from the nice folks at the NWTA booth where we discussed Block 15 beers among other things.

Catch berms on Quid Pro Flow coming off the wall rides near the end of the descent section before you start climbing to join 338 could be made a bit bigger. Why? Because I blew out the top of one, that's why. Add two more feet, because I won't stop riding berms as big as my imagination instead of the actual berm that's there!

Already looking forward to next year.

P.S. Kudos to the guy who hucked the entrance drop on TTTaaMW, cased the landing, and then yard saled it out over the edge of the trail, including jettisoning at least one of his shoes. All in front of about a half dozen people.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 05-18-2016 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yup, SR rocks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    P.S. Kudos to the guy who hucked the entrance drop on TTTaaMW, cased the landing, and then yard saled it out over the edge of the trail, including jettisoning at least one of his shoes. All in front of about a half dozen people.
    how?? who had there gopro on???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    how?? who had there gopro on???
    I didn't see it, because I was so far back behind the crowd milling about the entrance. We had just rolled up after doing Rock Drop to Quid Pro Flow to 338 and it was packed. Heard the cased landing on what sounded like the big round rocks to the right of the jump entrance. followed by the sounds of a wreck and various things flying into the forest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    LOL, funniest thing I've read in a while. Nice. Yard sale. lol. losing a shoe can't be the start to a good day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anybody know when there going to start building the new trails on the recently acquired land?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    Anybody know when there going to start building the new trails on the recently acquired land?
    dunno, but I heard thought it was just for parking??

kudos to trail ninjas , your work is appreciated !
    & all the folks still riding hardtails probably really love how smooth everything is.. though I was just getting competent on the roller/jumps at the end of rock drop & now they are BIGGER... gotta have goals (& balls it seems)

cheers !
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

mtbr member
    13% more trails (about 2 miles added to a 15-mile system) and 100% more parking.

Details:
    Sandy Ridge Trail System about to get even more 'super awesome' (photos) | OregonLive.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    13% more trails (about 2 miles added to a 15-mile system) and 100% more parking.

Details:
    Sandy Ridge Trail System about to get even more 'super awesome' (photos) | OregonLive.com
    cool!
    more trail is always welcome & certainly more parking is needed on busy days (especially when most of the lot is taken up by brand "x" doing a demo)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would also like to add that the work done at the top of Two Turn Tables is very very fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    I would also like to add that the work done at the top of Two Turn Tables is very very fun

You can thank the BLM for hiring the experienced builders from IMBA Trail Solutions to do that work!

Cheers.

mtbr member
    I will be in Portland next weekend for SCCA races (cars).

Is it possible to like take an UBER car to Sandy Ridge? I looked into the bus, and it takes a long long time.

Any other ideas how to get from Portland to the trailhead if I don't have a car?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I will be in Portland next weekend for SCCA races (cars).

Is it possible to like take an UBER car to Sandy Ridge? I looked into the bus, and it takes a long long time.

Any other ideas how to get from Portland to the trailhead if I don't have a car?
    from PIR its going to be about an hour car ride away. There are no shops super close that rent bikes sooooo good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    from PIR its going to be about an hour car ride away. There are no shops super close that rent bikes sooooo good luck.
    I found "Uber Pedal", and was thinking of renting from Fat Tire Farm.

Uber launches 'UberPEDAL' on-demand bike rack option in Portland - BikePortland.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I found "Uber Pedal", and was thinking of renting from Fat Tire Farm.

Uber launches 'UberPEDAL' on-demand bike rack option in Portland - BikePortland.org
    Why not rent a car?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any updates on Sandy? I'll be visiting Portland again the coming 2 weeks and would love to get a ride in.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if sandy got alot of rain last night? Was thinking of going after work later today but would rather avoid if it's a slopfest. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    rode sandy yesterday it was pretty good, lots of leaves though which offers a sense of excitement but i rode follow the leader then back up to rock drop 2 turns and the remainder and all was great!! i would rather ride in this over the super dry stuff!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Question for you all. What would be some good loop/trails at Sandy Ridge to get my novice wife stoked on mt. biking? She's strong in general and we've been out a handful of times this year, but she's not an experienced mountain biker and I want her to leave these trails wanting to ride more! We'll be out there over Thanksgiving weekend so I'm sure it'll be wet and cold, but that's the norm for this time of year.

And yes, I have completely selfish motives here

mtbr member
    Work your way up from the bottom, starting with the loop around the parking lot then up the road past the gate and past the exit of Hide and Seek until you reach Laura's on the right. It exits back onto the road if you stay right. Those are the only two green trails at Sandy Ridge.

If she still has legs and stoke, take her higher up to the lower Hide and Seek cut-in on the left, below the bridge, and ride that. Even more ambitious would be Flow Motion a bit more uphill and on the right, exiting just across from the top of Lower Hide and Seek.

338 is a very approachable cross-country loop, with some narrow and exposed spots and some awkward roots, so be sure she is good at dismounting without falling. It starts at the kiosk at the top of the road, where all the other trails start.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112