Nat
    Solo contendre

Salem info needed (non-bike :sad: )

The fambly and I will be going to the Enchanted Forest south of Salem this weekend to let the kiddies have some fun and I need to reserve a motel somewhere. What parts of Salem are nice for tourists? Is there an area with some restaurants, parks, pedestrian malls or something like that?

mtbr member

Downtown is your best bet

There is the new Grand Phoenix downtown & some other hotel d/t too I think. It is walking distance from Riverfront park that has a really cool (for the kids ) carosol & a great big park. Everything food wise down there too within walking distance. Also, AC Gilberts discovery villiage is in the riverfront park on the north end. Thats a great kid thing too.
    That would be my suggestion if you're staying in Salem...others may say stay closer to I-5, but you'll be in the crappy parts of town if you do...
    Just head S on commercial to get to the theme park...commercial eventually just turns into I-5.
    enjoy,

John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker75
    There is the new Grand Phoenix downtown & some other hotel d/t too I think. It is walking distance from Riverfront park that has a really cool (for the kids ) carosol & a great big park. Everything food wise down there too within walking distance. Also, AC Gilberts discovery villiage is in the riverfront park on the north end. Thats a great kid thing too.
    That would be my suggestion if you're staying in Salem...others may say stay closer to I-5, but you'll be in the crappy parts of town if you do...
    Just head S on commercial to get to the theme park...commercial eventually just turns into I-5.
    enjoy,

John
    Perfect, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

AC Gilbert!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biker75
    enjoy,

John
    AC Gilbert is a must-do for the kiddies. It's a total hands-on experience for them, very interactive and very fun! I've been there three or four times, and I have just as good a time as my daughter. Last time I looked, their website wasn't all that great, but it's a good start: http://www.acgilbert.org/index.html

And it's a short walk from there to the carousel, and to the paddlewheel boat you can take out on the river. Enjoy!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Albee
    AC Gilbert is a must-do for the kiddies. It's a total hands-on experience for them, very interactive and very fun! I've been there three or four times, and I have just as good a time as my daughter. Last time I looked, their website wasn't all that great, but it's a good start: http://www.acgilbert.org/index.html

And it's a short walk from there to the carousel, and to the paddlewheel boat you can take out on the river. Enjoy!
    Cool, that place looks fun. Thanks for the tip!

Cougar Bait

Ditto on the Phoenix and Gilbert House

The Grand Phoenix is a great hotel (especially for Salem, which has an inordinate number of bad hotels with otherwise reputable brand names). The restaurant in the hotel is the best nicer place I have eaten at in Salem (and I live close, so my wife and I frequent the downtown area regularly). The Ram Brew Pub has pretty good food, and darn good beer.

The Gilbert House is a blast for the kids. It is also OK for you. When the weather is nice (which it probably won't be), the Salem Riverwalk is beautiful and surprisingly underutilized by the fair citizens of Salem. The carousel is pretty cool for the kids. (And, since you were so nice, the family won't mind if you spend some time in Santiam Bicycles on Commercial, 2 blocks from the Gilbert House...coolest shop around)

In comparison, I wish you luck at Enchanted Forest. My kids like it OK, but I would rather go to the dentist. Be ready to pack you kids up and down steep hills while they go through cheezy, plastic Brothers Grimm scenes, and you dodge fat, white trash parents throwing down bad, overpriced corndogs. At least it's not as bad as it was in the old days when every adult was chain-smoking. OMG...when did I become so old and bitter? (The Haunted House is pretty scary for most kids, though).

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Thanks for all your help you guys. The Grand Phoenix was nice and comfortable, AC Gilbert was good times, and the carousel was fun albeit short-lived. The Enchanted Forest did have a trailer trash contingent but I think our kids looked past it and had a good time. Too bad it rained so much on Saturday, but we made the best of it.