Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Roll call for the NAHBS !

Who's going to the North American handmade Bicycle show in Portland Orgeon on Feb 8-10
    These builders are the best in bicycle craftsmans in the world. This is how most of the big bike builders got there start.
    This is not like the interbike of high dollar maddness!! A great time, good beer, food and party .Come and support some of your best bicycle builders there are on the planet!!
    Over 187 expo booths.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Mtbr and RoadBikeReview will have a booth there (#403). Stop by and say hi, if you are going.

Francis and me will be there, along with the new site manager for RoadBikeReview.

We are in the process of settting up appointments for interviews and product coverage (photos and videos, this year!)

-g

Medium?
    Has it moved to Portland for good? I always meant to go over when it was a mile from work. Damn. I'm glad I didn't follow through on my idea to open the "Homemade Bicycle Shop" in San Jo'.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Apparently it's gonna be somewhere else next year, and the city has been decided, but won't be announced until the last day of this year's show:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/2009-nahbs-venue-set/

meatier showers
    I'm iguana be there on Sunday, Feb. 10. The plan is to drive up for Forest Park trailwork on Saturday and then hit the show on Sunday. See y'all at one or both.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Be there - Bike Friday!

I'll be manning the booth for Bike Friday on all three days! Stop and say hi!
    Rocking a whole lot more!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhoundmtb
    I'll be manning the booth for Bike Friday on all three days! Stop and say hi!
    Rocking a whole lot more!
    I will be helping rockhound with breaks in the BF booth, which is right next to RBR/MTBR, on Friday/Saturday.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Singletrack Addict
    Time permitting I want desperately to stop by on Friday.
    I was pretty blown away at the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show.

meatier showers

And...?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I will be helping rockhound with breaks in the BF booth, which is right next to RBR/MTBR, on Friday/Saturday.
    Will the booths still be juxtaposed on Sunday? If not, why not? Full disclosure, please.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Will the booths still be juxtaposed on Sunday? If not, why not? Full disclosure, please.

--Sparty
    Seems clear to me.
    mtbtires.com

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Stop by and say Hi Sparticles. I'll be in booth 334. Bring donuts, I'll be hungry.

or bacon.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

meatier showers

Dang

Seems clear to me.
    I guess we won't see you on Sunday. Bummer.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

swag ho Administrator
    So where's the fine eating establishments near the show???

fc
    IPA will save America

Making fat cool since '71

Nearby

Quote Originally Posted by francois

fc
    I really like the Rose and Raindrop and it's pretty close (5th and Grand?). A little further out is Dot's. It's on Clinton and like 25th or 26th. Good food, good character and fun. It's owned/operated by a couple of old skool local punks turned biz owners. Their brew selection is suspect though. PBR on tap?

I'm jamming up Saturday! It's going to be most excellent.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Singletrack Addict

Fine?

fc
    Fresh, local:
    Higgins

Paley's Place
    Vitaly is a fellow cyclist and has his own line of energy bars.

Fireball in the Night

GO Ahrens!!

Ran into Mike Ahrens last night during a Mardi Gras celebration. We talked about (I listened) some of the really exciting things he's creating and taking to the show. Check it.

Look for his stuff at the show.

Rexxx
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm gonna make an appearance on Saturday. Should be a great show!
    Good to hear the BF is making an attendance. I had been looking for their name on the list of attending builders.

What kind of donuts do you like Sean? :-P

Produce Row is a nice nearby pub too that has the usual bar fare, but the icing is the beer list...

My plans are now up in the air. I am ill and may not be there Friday. Hope to make it up for at least one day.
    mtbtires.com

troubled economist

Lots of good places to eat/drink in PDX

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    I really like the Rose and Raindrop and it's pretty close (5th and Grand?).
    Unfortunately, R&R is no longer open, closed about a year ago. Sad, as their beer selection was great for inner SE PDX.

There's a bar close to the convention called Bogarts, 701 NE 7th Ave, good low key place for pitchers.

The Lloyd center mall is relatively close (east of the Convention Center, just north of the light rail). Plenty of eats in there, but not my choice.

You can also hop on the light rail (the "MAX") and cross the river to downtown, where there are plenty of options.

Head south on Grand/MLK to Burnside (runs East/West, the divider of North and South in town), and go east on Burnside and you'll find a few places, including Union Jack's (drinks and pasties), the Doug Fir (live music venue) and others.

Further south, you'll find a great selection of beers at the Green Dragon Bistro & Brewpub on 928 Se 9th Street that rivaled what the R&R had.

Produce Row (204 SE Oak) has been mentioned-- good stuff, live music, chill. Head to the Montage (301 SE Morrison St) for late night food and oyster/mussel shooters.

Get your PBR on at My Father's Place (523 SE Grand Ave).

There's much, much, more....

A good bar/drinking resource is Barfly Magazine

Cheers! Enjoy your stay!

Tom
    dig...

Making fat cool since '71

What?

Quote Originally Posted by toowacky
    Unfortunately, R&R is no longer open, closed about a year ago. Sad, as their beer selection was great for inner SE PDX.

Tom
    That blows! I've (for good or bad) been so busy when in PDX the last several times I've not been to the R&R in probably two years. Thanks for the update. Now I won't be crushed Saturday.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by toowacky

There's a bar close to the convention called Bogarts, 701 NE 7th Ave, good low key place for pitchers.

The Lloyd center mall is relatively close (east of the Convention Center, just north of the light rail). Plenty of eats in there, but not my choice.

You can also hop on the light rail (the "MAX") and cross the river to downtown, where there are plenty of options.

Head south on Grand/MLK to Burnside (runs East/West, the divider of North and South in town), and go east on Burnside and you'll find a few places, including Union Jack's (drinks and pasties), the Doug Fir (live music venue) and others.

Further south, you'll find a great selection of beers at the Green Dragon Bistro & Brewpub on 928 Se 9th Street that rivaled what the R&R had.

Produce Row (204 SE Oak) has been mentioned-- good stuff, live music, chill. Head to the Montage (301 SE Morrison St) for late night food and oyster/mussel shooters.

Get your PBR on at My Father's Place (523 SE Grand Ave).

There's much, much, more....

A good bar/drinking resource is Barfly Magazine

Cheers! Enjoy your stay!

Tom
    You are awesome Tom! We're flying out today. We'll check those places out.

fc
    IPA will save America

troubled economist

More bike events, in Portland this weekend

You are awesome Tom! We're flying out today. We'll check those places out.

fc
    Word-- I think it's safe to say that PDX is stoked to be hosting this year, and there's more going on, too--

Here's a list of events this weekend from
    bikeportland.org:

Thursday (2/7)

Opening Night: Teams of Portland Exhibit
    Hosted by Wieden + Kennedy (224 NW 13th Ave)
    6-10:00pm (Show runs through Sunday 2/10, Free)
    Details here

Opening Night: Roleur Magazine Exhibition
    Hosted by Rapha (Crane Building, 710 NW 14th Street)
    4-10:00pm (Show runs through Sunday 2/10, Free)
    Details here

Independent Fabrications Party
    Hosted by Veloce Bicycles (3202 SE Hawthorne)
    Meet IF staff and get a sneak peek at their NAHBS show bikes.
    7:00pm

Friday (2/8)

Official After Party
    Sponsored by Don Walker Cycles
    Red Lion Inn Windows Lounge (1021 NE Grand Avenue, 6th Fl.)
    Social hour starts at 6:45, music starts at 8:30 PM and goes until
    midnight.

Vanilla Workshop Party*
    *Builders and their guests only please
    Vanilla Workshop (Vanilla Bicycles, 717 SE 35th Ave.)
    7:00 - 10:30pm
    Music and beverages; a gathering for framebuilders and their guests.

Midnight Mystery Ride Pre-Ride
    Meet at 10:30, ride at 11
    Don Walker (founder of NAHBS) is hosting a party featuring live music
    by the Surfonics starting at 8:30 (kilts optional). Come by. Have a
    beer. Then get on your bike and ride! Carl Larson (Free)

Midnight Mystery Ride
    Good Neighbor Pizza (800 NE Deekum St.)
    Meet at 11, ride at midnight.
    When Portland got tired of Critical Mass, Midnight Mystery Rides
    became the actually-fun alternative. The formula is simple: follow a
    leader to a mystery outdoor location for breeze-shooting and chaos.
    Warm clothes, malty beverages, bike lights, and ninja-like stealth are
    encouraged. This month's ride is a benefit for Leo Westwind. Carl
    Larson (Free)
    Details here

Saturday (2/9)

Official After Party
    Sponsored by Don Walker Cycles
    Social hour starts at 6:45, music starts at 8:30 PM and goes until
    midnight.

Roller Racing
    Hosted by Rapha (Crane Building, 710 NW 14th Street)
    Doors open at 8pm - Racing starts at 8:30pm
    Fastest rider will walk away with a custom Ira Ryan frame.
    Admission is $10
    Must be 21 years of age
    Details here

The Slap Dash Alleycat
    Plan B (1305 SE 8th Ave)
    Reg. starts at 7:00 - Ride at 8:00
    An alleycat tour of Portland's bike-spawning grounds: basements,
    garages, and warehouses. Points for speed. Points for style. Points
    for doing the whole thing on a fixed tall-bike wearing a welding mask.
    Hosted by Portland's bike builders (ends at BikePortland.org party).
    Carl Larson

Pints and Prizes: A Benefit for BikePortland.org
    Plan B (1305 SE 8th Ave)
    9:00pm - ?
    $2.50 New Belgium pints, $1 raffle tickets (ticket proceeds go to
    BikePortland.org)
    Win prizes from Ortlieb (messenger bags), Keen (shoes), SRAM (a Rock
    Shox Fork), Castelli, Maverick, Zipp, Vittoria, and massages from
    Gretchen Kloeppel, LMT.

Sunday (2/10)

West Hills Continental Ride (38 miles, 4,000+ elev. gain)
    Hosted by Team Rapha (Crane Building, 710 NW 14th Street)
    Meet 7:00am - Ride departs, 7.30am
    Details here

Zoobomb!
    The Zoobomb Pyle (SW 10th and Oak, across from Rocco's Pizza)
    Meet at 9:00.
    Bring $1.75 for train fare. All bikes welcome.
    Zoobomb.net
    dig...

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    No visit to Portland would be complete without stopping by the Horse Brass Pub for a pint or five. It's just a couple of miles from the venue & you'll not find a wider selection of fresher beer anywhere in town. Better than average pub fare as well. Trust me, I've done exhaustive research and can be considered to be an expert on this subject.

Here's a decent guide to food in town. Right off the top of my head my 5 favorite restaurants (not necessarily the cheapest) would be Andina, Vindaloo, Nostrana, The Ringside, and The Twilight Room, home of the best cheeseburger in this sector of the galaxy & right up there with the best fish & chips, which are served at the Horse Brass. The Cheap Eats link has lots of good beta as well-you don't need to spend a ton of money to eat exceptionally well here. As previously noted, Barfly is a good resource for figuring out where to get your drink on. The Mercury has one-stop shopping for pretty much everything that's going on in town entertainment-wise.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

highly visible
    I hope to make it there either Saturday or Sunday, probably with my toddler in tow.

Quaffimodo nailed the best resources for dining guides. WWeek's Cheap Eats is my bible, and the Merc's got good restaurant info too even if their website's a little harder to use. Portland's got a huge restaurant scene, and although you'll be challenged to find truly authentic mexican food, bagels or New York pizza there's plenty of good stuff to eat.

Since no weekend is complete without pizza, I'll mention Escape from New York (NW 23rd)as the most authentic east coast style 'za in town, although (before my gluten intolerance was diagnosed) I was always partial to the big floppy slices at Rocco's, across the street from the world's biggest bookstore (don't forget to make your Powell's pilgrimage!) Everyone now is raving about Apizza Scholls on Hawthorne, but I now have to go to Talarico's in Lake Oswego for my pizza fix.

As far as stuff close to the convention center, there's not much in the immediate area. You're best off going downtown -- and remember the MAX light rail runs right next to the convention center and can take you there for free -- or to the Lloyd District. Lloyd restaurants are mostly on the other side of the mall on NE Broadway. There are several Thai restaurants, several Ethiopian restaurants (Blue Nile is the best IMO), Chez Jose is Americanized but decent Mexi/SW cuisine, Aztec Willie has good cheap burritos/tacos/enchiladas, Milo's has great breakfasts with the best hash browns on the planet, and quite a few other choices.

Not too far away at 12th/Sandy/East Burnside is Old Wives Tales, an earthy old standby with a real salad bar, famous soups and a huge menu that caters to anyone with special dietary needs, whether those be vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten-free or carnivorous. They also have an awesome kids play room (as does Aztec Willie's, above).

The restaurant scene at 28th & Burnside has also exploded recently, with lots of good places to eat and mostly pretty affordable.

If you cross the river on MAX you've got downtown proper, Old Town/Chinatown to the north, the Pearl District to the west of that, and NW 21st Avenue even further west. All of those areas are chock full of restaurants. I'll just mention a couple of my favorites that probably show my age but oh well. In addition to Higgins and Paley's (both excellent), Wildwood has deep roots in the fresh NW cuisine scene and is still going strong IMO. Still my wife's and my favorite "nicer" restaurant. 110 year old Jake's Famous Crawfish is jam packed all the time but has literally dozens of kinds of fresh seafood. Another location, Jake's Grill on 10th, is less crowded and has a smaller menu but equally high quality. None of these are "Cheap Eats," but if that's what you're after you usually don't go downtown.

Other streets with lots of cheap eats, if you're willing to ride a couple of extra miles, include SE Hawthorne, SE Belmont and NE Alberta.

If you're hungry at the Convention Center, I can't help but also plug Burgerville. They might be a burger-and-fries chain, but they make a great effort to buy local, sustainable ingredients. Everything that can be regionally sourced is, right down to the Franz hamburger buns. And the fryer grease ends up in my diesel car's tank. They use beef and chicken raised without hormones and antibiotics and they offer two different styles of veggie burgers cooked on dedicated meat-free equipment. Want a Chocolate Hazelnut milkshake made with Oregon hazelnuts, Alaskan fish & chips, a salad made with Rogue River Blue Cheese, or Yukon Gold fries? No problem. Depending on what's in season at a given time of the year you may be able to get your milkshakes made with fresh local strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or peaches. You Californians may recognize B'ville as the Northwest answer to In-N-Out Burger but with a much bigger menu. And there's a location right next door to the Convention Center.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 02-08-2008 at 03:11 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy

If you're hungry at the Convention Center, I can't help but also plug Burgerville. They might be a burger-and-fries chain, but they make a great effort to buy local, sustainable ingredients.
    +1 for Burgervile. No Fast Food Nation angst but I think that the cheesburgers still make a guy fat. There's also a Taco del Mar a few blocks south of the venue-maybe a 5-10 minute walk on MLK. You can also hop on MAX at the north end of the venue, switch to the yellow line at the Rose Quarter and find yourself at the Widmer Gasthaus shortly thereafter for better than average pub food and nice seasonal beers-I'd give the NW Red especially high marks.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast