Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

Roger's Camp or 'Poose - Whatsit gonna be this week?

Hack, Meat, GlowBoy and anyone else who's up for riding...

Which day works for you all this week and where do you want to ride? At the moment, I'm open to any evening that doesn't have pouring rain in the forcast. I wonder how well Roger's camp is doing after the storms this weekend, but I'm open to it if we get a good report again.

I had a blast last week and would love this to be regular thing. It'll keep me from spending too much time on my road bike.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Which day works for you all this week and where do you want to ride?
    Unfortunately, house projects that have been riding in the back of the bus are surfacing. So this week looks bleek. If it were to happen for me, it would be Wednesday at any of the venues that are not submerged. Very tentaive right now due to projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    I had a blast last week and would love this to be regular thing.
    Me too
    Tuff Schist

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    Unfortunately, house projects that have been riding in the back of the bus are surfacing. So this week looks bleek. If it were to happen for me, it would be Wednesday at any of the venues that are not submerged. Very tentaive right now due to projects.
    Me too
    booo-hiisssss.

If you don't have time to ride (I hope you do) maybe you'll have the time to grab a beer at the lucky lab?

highly visible
    I'm out too. Same reason.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Always Breaking Stuff
    I'm rollin kinda slow right now cause I'm recovering from a separated shoulder, but I'm thinking about heading out to rocky point (I believe what your calling 'poose) either Tuesday or Thursday ready to ride at the blue gate about 5:00 maybe I'll see you there.

-Jon
    Last edited by thorir; 04-10-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    I'm out too. Same reason.
    Lamesauce.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll ride on Wed Sean. If'n youse wanna.

It's good there wet. I've been riding there year round for almost 5 years.

let me know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorir
    I'm rollin kinda slow right now cause I'm recovering from a separated shoulder, but I'm thinking about heading out to rocky point (I believe what your calling 'poose) either Tuesday or Thursday ready to ride at the blue gate about 5:00 maybe I'll see you there.

-Jon
    I am down for a ride on Tues., Wed. and/or Thu. this week at Scapoose, Brown's Camp/Wilson River, Syncline, Three Corner or wherever the trail is good. I can get out of work early those days, so can almost anywhere within a couple hours drive. I will PM you. I am stoked I just got a new rear derailleur for the "Sabe" and new rear tread that is great in dry/loose, but not the greatest in wet though, I know a little too soon for the summer tires. It is a ride week I tell you, Wednesday suppose to be almost 70 and dry.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Alright everybody,

Wednesday, Scappoose. What time works for you all?

Sean

Always Breaking Stuff
    Nice, just PM'd ya my info. I'm gonna be at Rocky Pt. Rd. Blue gate today at 5:00, probably do something Thursday also. Unfortunately I can't get off work till 3:30 ish (and that is sneaking out early). Doesn't leave much daylight, but if you wanted to get there early we could try to meet ya on the trail.

-Jon

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thorir
    Nice, just PM'd ya my info. I'm gonna be at Rocky Pt. Rd. Blue gate today at 5:00, probably do something Thursday also. Unfortunately I can't get off work till 3:30 ish (and that is sneaking out early). Doesn't leave much daylight, but if you wanted to get there early we could try to meet ya on the trail.

-Jon
    Jon,

I might have missed something...you're going to Scappoose today? I thought we were shooting for tomorrow, I can't make it out there today. If you can't ride tomorrow, that's cool, we'll meet up another time. Perhaps Thursday if Hack doesn't tear me up too badly tomorrow.

Hack, or anyone else...can you remind me of how to get to the trailhead? I've only been there once. I'm I right in thinking that it's rt 30 out to Rocky Point rd, and then a few miles up the road on the right?

Sean

Always Breaking Stuff
    Yeah, I can't ride Wed. Thursday I might go see where the snow is at on Tarbell.

Yup, talking about the same spot.

I'm sure we have probably crossed paths before, but we more than likely will some more this summer. If you see a >200lb guy on a blue enduro thats possibly me . I frequent the lucky lab on occasion also.

coffee
    I'm ignorant. What's the trail like out there in Scappoose? And how many miles can you do? Thanks.

Always Breaking Stuff
    Rocky Pt. Rd. is what my buddies and I call the small trail system near Scappoose. These are some trails on private land that John Joy with PUMP club has gotten permission to do trail maintenance on and allow riders out there.

Here is the link to PUMP's next ride out there. I believe they are there every Friday Night.

PUMP Friday Night Ride at Scappoose

The trails are a maze of intersecting singletrack with a fire road running down the middle of it (helps keep ya from getting too lost). Doing one loop on the trails is about 6-7miles, but you can wind your way around up there for about as long as you want if you double back occasionally and explore.

I wouldn't claim to know every trail there, but there is something to challenge anyone if you look around long enough.

-Jon

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by themaninthewoods
    I'm ignorant. What's the trail like out there in Scappoose? And how many miles can you do? Thanks.
    Hack is the man with all the answers about that trail system so I hope he corrects me if I goof this up. I've only been there once.

Basically, there's a main double-track that a bunch of very short loops of trail always come back to. The trails are constantly up and down with very few, if any, flat spots. From what I can remember, most of the climbs are pretty steep, but they're relatively short. I also remember a few spots where there were some slick, off-camber roots.

It's a fun, challenging trail.

Always Breaking Stuff
    Heck, looks like they are doing trail building out there this Sturday. Good way to get familiar with some of the trails if you got the time.

Scappoose Trail Building Party Saturday 04/15/06 10:00 am

coffee
    I really appreciate the info! Unfortunately my retail-***** schedule makes it difficult for me to get involved in those organized work parties and rides. I work Friday until 8:30 and have to be back at work on Saturday at 9:30. My weekend is Tuesday/ Wednesday . Anyway, I definitely need to get involved with PUMP in whatever capacity I can being relatively new to Portland.

I think I'll be checking out the trails there tomorrow afternoon since Syncline sounds like it's getting violent (and gas $$). If y'all ever see a skinny tall guy on a pimped red Fuel out there say hi, that's me. I'm about to head out to 3 corner rock today. It was beautiful there last week.

The Dude Abides
    are there maps of the 'poose trails availible anywhere online?

Was mad I missed the ride @ Brown's camp last week. Would love to make it out this week. Thursday works for me as far as having a car to get to where peeps are riding. However, I need to start earlier than you guys are talking about. Got to get back to PDX before too late. I might just go solo, but maybe I'll see you when I'm leaving and your arriving.
    This aggression will not stand, man.

Always Breaking Stuff
    I don't know if John from PUMP has put together maps or not. Even if he has I'd guess they are not available to the public because it is on private land, but I don't know for sure. Get a GPS, explore, make your own maps .

As for getting involved with PUMP I'd say go for it, they are a very active group that does a good mix of rides, maintenance, and social activities. They have a low ($20) membership fee and are a good resource for getting involved in the Portland mountainbike scene. Between meeting people through PUMP, hooking up with some MTBR riders, and meeting people on the trail you should have buddies to ride with and show you around in no time.

If you don't go to 3CR today, you are welcome to join me at scappoose (I start at the gate not the Freddy's though), or probably Sean tomorrow (I haven't ridden with those guys but they seem friendly enough) .

-Jon

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by theeric
    are there maps of the 'poose trails availible anywhere online?

Was mad I missed the ride @ Brown's camp last week. Would love to make it out this week. Thursday works for me as far as having a car to get to where peeps are riding. However, I need to start earlier than you guys are talking about. Got to get back to PDX before too late. I might just go solo, but maybe I'll see you when I'm leaving and your arriving.
    What time do you need to get up to Brown's on Thursday? If Hack doesn't destroy my legs (and spirit) tomorrow, I'm going to give Brown's a go on Thursday.

The Dude Abides
    If i bring my gear to work, I can leave NW Portland around 3:30-3:45. I'm not 100% on whether I'm going or not, will know tomorrow.

What type of riding do you usually do? I recently bought and Enduro. It's a little heavier than my old bike, and I'm not in the best of riding shape yet, so if you're a xc machine i'd probably just slow you down. But, if you don't mind taking your time on some climbs then we'd probably get along just great.

I'll be back online tomorrow with more info on whether i'll be heading out/what time.

Later guys,
    Eric

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by theeric
    If i bring my gear to work, I can leave NW Portland around 3:30-3:45. I'm not 100% on whether I'm going or not, will know tomorrow.

What type of riding do you usually do? I recently bought and Enduro. It's a little heavier than my old bike, and I'm not in the best of riding shape yet, so if you're a xc machine i'd probably just slow you down. But, if you don't mind taking your time on some climbs then we'd probably get along just great.

I'll be back online tomorrow with more info on whether i'll be heading out/what time.

Later guys,
    Eric
    Trust me, you won't slow me down. Even if you were to be much slower than I (if that's possible) it wouldn't matter. Although I do watch my HR, my goal is just to have fun and try to ride something that I couldn't clean the last time I went out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wedfsdf

Sean,

i'll be there between 4 and 4:30. Thats when my buddy Terry is gonna show up too.

What's your # and i'll let you know tomorrow for sure.

We'll do my super death loop.

The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack

We'll do my super death loop.
    that sounds mighty frightening!

For those interested, I will be going to Brown's Camp Thursday afternoon. I'll be leaving NW Portland between 3:30-3:45. I would offer to drive out there with some one else, but I got a sedan and no rack (for now) so my bike goes in the trunk. I like medium to up tempo rides (I'm not an xc machine) with a break here and there as needed...maybe some stops on the side of the trail to re-attempt a log ride or other stunt.

If you're interested PM me. I've never used the PM on this board, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Hack - You have a PM. I'll see you later.

theeric - you also have a PM. Hopefully, I'll see you tomorrow.

Sean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast