mtbr member

Road Rage on Mountain Bike

As it is, I am poor. And, as it is, I recently moved from Bend to Portland and brought along my nifty mountain bicycle. I have ridden it a few times on the road and everything happened perfectly - huge amounts of traction/rolling resistance, bouncing shocks, all the good stuff you want on a mountain and not on a road. So I am here to ask some of you knuckle heads what you suggest I do to help make my commute more pleasurable. Buying a road bike is out of the question, because, as it is, I am poor. I'm not expecting to have a mountain bike ride like a road bike, well, because it's a mountain bike, but if there's some things you can suggest to make it a little more road friendly, I would greatly appreciate your input.

So far I got some new slippery tires...

Thanks in advance.

Singletrack Addict
    Fenders.
    And you'll need some cards in the spokes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Fenders.
    And you'll need some cards in the spokes.
    Good call on the fenders.

I got an old box of Topps baseball cards that should work or I could run over a pop-can and let it snag in the fork. That makes delightful music.

mtbr member
    one of those tall bright orange flags. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bike-Secur...i_sku=11065192

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If your running air suspension increase the pressure in both your front fork and rear shock. If you increase the pressure enough this should eliminate pedal bob, and make for a more efficient ride.

mtbr member
    Invest in some higher volume xc tires, something that has traction, but also rolls well such as a Maxxis Larsen TT. Then try and find diferent routes around town that you could ride through wooded sections, hoping curbs, not necessarily urbanizing, but making your ride more enjoyable/interesting.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. Seems like it's all about making the ride stiffer. Stiffer!

Scoutcat, thank you for being concerned about my safety, but my mom has already put one of those flags on my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyDeluxe
    Thanks for the feedback. Seems like it's all about making the ride stiffer. Stiffer!.
    OMG... He said STIFFER

mtbr member
    search out the second hand shops- cheap hundred dollar road bikes are out there- and less attractive to thieves- i hated commuting on my mountain bike- i was always paranoid someone would want to steat it- so i bought a cheap road bike and it made commuting easier- and i dont worry that someone will want to steal it- or you could move back to bend where you can ride a mountain bike- once you spend money on fenders and new tires- you could problably have found some cheap used commuter-
    Holy Cow----Why remove obstacles--when they can be ridden....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    get some small block 8's and rip some trails yo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    get the mtb bike insured, that way when it gets stolen you'll have some $ for a new bike.