mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Riverview Trail - Portland

Anybody know anything about this? Is it worth checking out? Current conditions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    wet
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ha, i assume so. is there any sort of map or anything?

Metalheadbikerider
    No map. Best single track in Portland, IMO. Right now it is slippery as heck. Might be batter after today, until we get more rain of course. NWTA is doing some trail work up there (keep an eye on their website) to try and get more access in the future. Great way to learn the trails is help out and ride afterwards with folks.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Rode it in the fall. Definitely unique and the only thing decent in PDX city limits; I can see how it's be super-wet as the drainage didn't seem great and there were a lot of leaves.

I personally hope the NWTA can put in some features (jumps/drops) to make it a little more interesting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool, yeah I'm excited for SOMETHING within city limits. A work party would be a good thing to do for sure! Hopefully the drainage gets fixed over time as well.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden in Riverview Park, but if it is anything like Forest Park, there's no amount of drainage work that will fix the mud in those hills.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Metalheadbikerider
    It is definitely a "ride when dry" kinda place. I went up there last weekend and only rode about 1/20th of a mile and headed back up. It will definitely some amendment to make a year-round riding place. But when it's dry, it's as good as we got.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    So true. That is the fly in the ointment with Forest Park. The mud is bad up there in those hills. I won't ride the NW Germantown area until is a dry because it is such a soupy mess.

Metalheadbikerider
    Agreed. I wonder if some 1/4- rock amendment, if given the opportunity, could make some of these trails rideable all year round. Give it the same treatment as lower Sandy, or armor the bad sections with larger rock. Riverview has massive potential as a "Ride to Where You Ride" destination. That is why we are putting in a lot of effort right now with regards to wrk parties; including planting native plants, garbage removal, drainage, etc. There will be another work party happening soon. I will post details.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Definitely! That's super exciting potential for some in town riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    so is there any prerequisite to coming to one of these trailwork sessions? i've done trailwork with the DOD down in Eugene, but do you need to sign up or something to participate in one of these NWTA work sessions?

mtbr member
    Isn't Riverview private property? Meaning not MTB specific?

Metalheadbikerider
    It was, but is no longer. "Portland Parks & Recreation, Environmental Services and Metro partner to acquire River View forest in southwest Portland." They were going to make it off-limits to mtb's after the purchase, but some people worked to insure that this did not happen. We are now working hard to insure a seat at the table moving forward. The trails are getting better and better up there.

mtbr member
    Sweet. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Metalheadbikerider
    Great question. After the huge turnout for the 2nd work party, we had a sign-up for the third work party. I don't think we will be doing sign-ups again, so just come on out for the next one. The work parties, for now, have focused on basic trail re-routes, garbage removal, some erosion work, etc. We have not yet begun to build new trail. Hopefully, that will happen in the future.

mtbr member

Re: Riverview Trail - Portland

Any hope for some features?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Great question. After the huge turnout for the 2nd work party, we had a sign-up for the third work party. I don't think we will be doing sign-ups again, so just come on out for the next one. The work parties, for now, have focused on basic trail re-routes, garbage removal, some erosion work, etc. We have not yet begun to build new trail. Hopefully, that will happen in the future.
    What is the best way to find out about upcoming work parties? NWTA website?

Metalheadbikerider
    Two ways:
    NWTA website calendar
    Subscribe to the NWTA newsletter-great resource

Metalheadbikerider
    It is way too early in the process to say. The committee meetings haven't even begun. I hope to be involved in the process. I am in favor of more advanced lines with features. In all honesty, that doesn't necessarily mean a damn thing as we are all too aware.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I rode out there last fall on a dry day and I was shocked at how small an area this is. I don't know...I just expcted it to be bigger and the trails to be longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    how long did a lap take?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's a fun little spot, and if you're being lazy, it can be shuttled, or you can climb up the grave yard! It's fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch McGee View Post
    It's a fun little spot, and if you're being lazy, it can be shuttled, or you can climb up the grave yard! It's fun.
    There's lazy and there's pathetic... gee, if I see anyone shuttle this I will need clean shorts. ha
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    There was a younger guy (I think a sponsored pro) at one of the work parties that said his Dad shuttled him so it was a constant 7 minutes up 7 down. If you have someone that is willing to do that for you, you could seriously increase your riding time there. I dont see anything wrong with that at all.