mtbr member
    Mar 2014

... and if we just ... River View is Back!

Hi all,

I'm a current student at Lewis and Clark and River View is my current stomping grounds. I've noticed over the past few months people have began to ride River View again. Let's keep it going! I love to see other riders out there enjoying the trails. Let's put aside the the unjust rules and just get on our bikes again! I'm there whenever it's sunny and hope to see more riders there as Spring approaches! We can't let RVNA die! Heading out right now to hit the trail,

Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Saw 2 other riders out today! Good start!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisclifford View Post
    Let's put aside the the unjust rules and just get on our bikes again!
    Hey Chris,
    As much as I think the ban on bikes at River View is arbitrary and pandering to "hiking groups", poaching trails and encouraging such poaching makes our community look like scofflaws and damages our credibility.
    If you want to open more trails, as we all do, get involved and help build our credibility.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No way! Ride W on a regular basis if you feel it. Portland riders have done the right thing and have received nothing in return. Steve Novick said that "we" have his ear...how many vertical feet is that? There has been nowhere to ride without a car and it has been thirty years now. Should I wait until never? Playing nice and stupid simply does not work. Take it and then play stupid.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    No way! Ride W on a regular basis if you feel it. .
    If that is how you feel about it, I won't stop you, but I will impolitely ask you to SHUT UP about it on the internet! Sheesh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    If that is how you feel about it, I won't stop you, but I will impolitely ask you to SHUT UP about it on the internet! Sheesh.
    I agree with this. I just cannot condone playing nice with folks who have no intention of correcting a HUGE ISSUE! I made no mention of what I do in this thread, btw.

mtbr member
    Another reason to just go out and ride these trails.

Tualatin Mountains Shit Show
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Like I have expressed since the beginning...thanks Aaron. I have no respect for these folks. Can you believe it always gets worse?

Metalheadbikerider
    Someone once came up with the idea- "Odd Days On." I think something like that is where we are headed in this city before too long.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Frankly, Portland bikers are long long long past the point of trying to do the right thing and not ride closed trails. It's gotten them only backwards for decades--the City is 10 times more likely to officially close a trail than to open it. The City won't do anything until its a problem, and rule following bikers are not a problem. There's two solutions--ride unsanctioned trails an be quiet and polite (not a problem, nothing done) or ride and make it a problem (the City will be forced to find a solution and I doubt its more enforcement). It's how its worked in most other places. Heck, even in places where it hasn't worked, they still have great trails. There are only about 2 legal trails in Santa Cruz, but an unbelievable number of unsanctioned trails. People just ride them and every so often people get ticketed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've heard that trail W is one of the best night rides in the PDX metro area.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I used to ride Trail W at night 15 to 20 years ago. It was a blast. Have since HAPPILY escaped the anti-mtb "bike utopia" that Portland supposedly is (see national bike-friendly ratings everywhere?).

It's astounding to me that in a city with something as huge as Forest Park, there isn't a dedicated mtb trail that runs the length of it. Plenty of room, plenty of bikers available for trail work, etc.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I used to ride Trail W at night 15 to 20 years ago. It was a blast. Have since HAPPILY escaped the anti-mtb "bike utopia" that Portland supposedly is (see national bike-friendly ratings everywhere?).

It's astounding to me that in a city with something as huge as Forest Park, there isn't a dedicated mtb trail that runs the length of it. Plenty of room, plenty of bikers available for trail work, etc.
    And over the weekends Forest Park is empty.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Muy Borracho
    Tragic how Portland is so anti-mtb. Would not live there as a result. Bummed for you Portlandiers...