mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Riding season for MRT?

Hey. I'm coming down from Vancouver, B.C. with the girlfriend to ride the MRT, and I'm wondering about timing.

We're thinking about doing the trip some time between early May and late July. Is there one time that's better than another, in terms of snow being melted, too much trail traffic, and questionable trail conditions.

Do the same things about weather / snow apply to riding in the Bend area as well?

Thanks very much.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The upper end might still have snow in early May. Weekdays are best for traffic.

Bend is on the other side of the Cascades from the MRT. Eugene is closer. The MRT is a wetside trail, not a dryside. Near rainforest vs desert.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

It all depends

Quote Originally Posted by painter
    Hey. I'm coming down from Vancouver, B.C. with the girlfriend to ride the MRT, and I'm wondering about timing.

We're thinking about doing the trip some time between early May and late July. Is there one time that's better than another, in terms of snow being melted, too much trail traffic, and questionable trail conditions.

Do the same things about weather / snow apply to riding in the Bend area as well?

Thanks very much.
    On the snow level, weather, etc....

We just road it this past weekend, the lower 13 miles, and turned around before the snow got to deep.

May, I have ridden up to Clear Lake & not made it past Belknap Hotsprings, if you can hit it in Late May-Late June you shouldn't have any problem. Plus it will have been completly cleared of trees.

It does see heavy use in the summer, hiker & biker, weekdays are best. Just keep your eye's open as there is a lot of blind corners.

Gives us a shout, you may get some local's to tag along.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Cheezy Rider
    Keep in mind that the later you come the less chance you have of being rained on. We've had some very wet Junes, July is generally pretty safe. Trail is well shaded, so it doesn't get too hot generally. Weekend traffic isn't so bad you should rule it out, but weekday would be less-travelled of course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Awesome. Thanks, everyone.

I'll see if anyone else wants to come when we get to the planning stage.

Stuart

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Bend

Bend will be a tough call this year. We have an over abundance of the white stuff. For example at the swampy shelter, you have about 8 feet of snow. Phils area has about 2 feet. Email again as you get closer to your arrival date. Catching the trails as they have just been cleared of debis and snow is perfect for avoiding dust.