Slothful dirt hippie

Riding near Sweet Home?

I'm going to be down in that area for a family reunion and am trying to figure out whether to bring the MTBs or the road bikes, where to go, etc. Or if there's a web site I should be referred to (equivalent of EMBA's trail wiki?), please point away. THANK YOU!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    The Gordon Lake trail is pretty good. Silver falls and Shelburg falls are not too far away.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

ride the moment
    Can you ride bikes at silver falls? Great place to hike though if you haven't been. No dogs allowed

You will be an hour from Mary's peak, and two hours from Oakridge.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Yeah, there's good trail at Silver falls. I can't think of any trail in real close proximity to Sweet Home though. There used to be trail at Snow Peak near Lacomb, but haven't heard of it being ridden in years, and it was a maze even then. It's not too far to run up 20 and get to the to of the MRT.

But if you don't want to drive, take the road bike. Sweet Home is surrounded by great road riding.

mtbr member
    McKenzie River, McDonald Forest, Mary's Peak, Shelberg Falls, Silver Falls are your closest options, none is particularly close to Sweet Home though.

Cheezy Rider
    If you like to climb, you're not far from the old Santiam wagon road. It pretty much follows highway 20 and the Santiam River. Unfortunately, I can't find any info about it and it's been a long time since I rode it. Not a great ride, but not bad. You would have to drive to it.

McKenzie River is probably your best bet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Gordon Lakes is close to Sweet Home and is a very good ride. Check in with the ranger station or website for more infromation. I would imagine will be clear by now. The trail is really good and not many people know about it, I used to ride it a lot when I lived in Corvallis. The first 3/4 of a mile is a grunt, there is a option of going past the first trailhead and getting to the top of the ridge. If you want something close in Sweet Home then I would ride that, or go to Corvallis, approx. 40 minutes away.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/r...kes/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkarro
    Gordon Lakes is close to Sweet Home and is a very good ride. Check in with the ranger station or website for more infromation. I would imagine will be clear by now. The trail is really good and not many people know about it, I used to ride it a lot when I lived in Corvallis. The first 3/4 of a mile is a grunt, there is a option of going past the first trailhead and getting to the top of the ridge. If you want something close in Sweet Home then I would ride that, or go to Corvallis, approx. 40 minutes away.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/r...kes/index.html
    I hope it's been cleared since last year, last time I looked at that trail it had about 60 trees down on it when I checked it out to see if it would be a fun MTB trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    If you like to climb, you're not far from the old Santiam wagon road. It pretty much follows highway 20 and the Santiam River. Unfortunately, I can't find any info about it and it's been a long time since I rode it. Not a great ride, but not bad. You would have to drive to it.

McKenzie River is probably your best bet.
    Wagon Road is OK but kinda dull go another 25 minutes and you're at McKenzie River.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Wagon Road is OK but kinda dull go another 25 minutes and you're at McKenzie River.
    I agree MRT is well worth the extra driving, unless he's very tight on time