Insanity later

Riding Hood this weekend

We were thinking about riding around High Prairie,15 mile area. Anyone know if that is even feasible? I looked at the Forestry Service website

and as far as I can see that area is not closed, but no fun inhaling smoke the entire day either.

Any locals have the scoop?

FKA Malibu412
    Guess it depends on wind conditions and how much of the fire is knocked down. I'm gonna take my wife to Timothy Lake Saturday for a nice spin and from what I've seen of the conditions lately, the smoke had been moving more north and west from the Dollar Lake fire. I figure as long as the area is not actually closed to use, might be safe as far as air quality on the more eastern and south/southeast side of the mountain. If we get there and it's bad, I'll look for other places to ride. I would think that Knebal, 8 Mile, 15 Mile and such would be okay.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    It Should be fine to go and you will have a great time!
    The ONLY way it would be too smoky there is if there was a strong NW wind, and the weekend forecast and reason why it will be so hot is due to EAST winds (which puts the smoke into Pdx). From the forecast models it appear the NW wind directional switch should not be happening till Monday into Tuesday (with a heavy marine air push the will blow the smoke to the east).

Insanity later
    Awesome. Thanks fellas for the quick response. I've ridden Knebal and 8 mile many times but never 15 mile, so am really excited to get up there. Any suggestions for a good 3 - 4 hour ride for a fit group?

I was thinking about parking at Bottle Prairie (I think that's what it's called), and climbing trail 450 to fifteen mile, then looping back via 8 mile. Reasonable?

I didn't think that much of Gunsight and Gumjawac but I think that's because I didn't loop the trails together very well, and ended up riding way too much road. Maybe I need to give them another chance too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Guess it depends on wind conditions and how much of the fire is knocked down. I'm gonna take my wife to Timothy Lake Saturday for a nice spin and from what I've seen of the conditions lately, the smoke had been moving more north and west from the Dollar Lake fire. I figure as long as the area is not actually closed to use, might be safe as far as air quality on the more eastern and south/southeast side of the mountain. If we get there and it's bad, I'll look for other places to ride. I would think that Knebal, 8 Mile, 15 Mile and such would be okay.
    Hope so, had planned a Timothy Lake ride with the Fam. for Labor day...but vetoed due to the fire. Going to try it again this weekend!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Awesome. Thanks fellas for the quick response. I've ridden Knebal and 8 mile many times but never 15 mile, so am really excited to get up there. Any suggestions for a good 3 - 4 hour ride for a fit group?

I was thinking about parking at Bottle Prairie (I think that's what it's called), and climbing trail 450 to fifteen mile, then looping back via 8 mile. Reasonable?
    Maybe do able but for me maybe not too reasonable. From what I think I know of the area that would mean quite a bit of road riding on FR 44 to connect from 15 Mile (Trail 456) to 8 Mile at the 8 mile campground. Also, it looks like the highest elevation at High Prairie to the lowest point at 15 Mile means about 3000 ft of descent. Quite a bit of net climbing.

Personally, if I was doing 15 Mile, I'd start out at Bottle Prairie, up 450 toward High Prairie, left at trail 456 then right at 457 to descend down 15 Mile Creek. Then, climb the almost 2000 ft back up 456 toward 450 and back to Bottle Prairie -- lollipop style.

mtbr member
    Personally, if I was doing 15 Mile, I'd start out at Bottle Prairie, up 450 toward High Prairie, left at trail 456 then right at 457 to descend down 15 Mile Creek. Then, climb the almost 2000 ft back up 456 toward 450 and back to Bottle Prairie -- lollipop style.[/QUOTE]

This is a great route and is my preferred route when time allows, it takes a bit over 3 hrs or so..... then jello legs for me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Maybe do able but for me maybe not too reasonable. From what I think I know of the area that would mean quite a bit of road riding on FR 44 to connect from 15 Mile (Trail 456) to 8 Mile at the 8 mile campground
    I don't have my map with me, and have yet to ride 15 mile, but isn't it accessible from the little parking lot where 8 mile and Knebal meet? I usually ride those from that lot off of 44, rather than the campgrounds. If you cross 44 from that parking lot, there is a trail. Thought that trail went to 15 mile (meaning you could do Serenity's route without having to touch 44). But I may be just delerious from so much smoke inhalation (Jesus -- 5,000 acres burnign in Goldendale now!).

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Dropped68;8431473]I don't have my map with me, and have yet to ride 15 mile, but isn't it accessible from the little parking lot where 8 mile and Knebal meet? I usually ride those from that lot off of 44, rather than the campgrounds.

The top of 8-mile and Jct of Knebal is also referred to as Bottle Prairie, so you are thinking of the same location.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    [QUOTE=ttrd;8431488]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    I don't have my map with me, and have yet to ride 15 mile, but isn't it accessible from the little parking lot where 8 mile and Knebal meet? I usually ride those from that lot off of 44, rather than the campgrounds.

The top of 8-mile and Jct of Knebal is also referred to as Bottle Prairie, so you are thinking of the same location.
    Thanks! Found my map. Yeah, 450 is the trail I was thinking of. Gotta do that ride before the snow arrives.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Dropped68;8431610]
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post

Thanks! Found my map. Yeah, 450 is the trail I was thinking of. Gotta do that ride before the snow arrives.
    Its a great ride and hopefully you will get to ride it after some rain. That whole route could really use some rain and the trail is SO much fun when tacky! Happy Rides

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post

Yep, 450 connects 8 Mile and High Prairie/15 Mile. I assumed from SN's question that he wanted to loop 450 to 15 Mile out with an 8 Mile Creek ride back to Bottle Prairie. To my knowledge, the only way to do a true loop with those trails would mean tying them together with forest roads once you got to the east end of 15 Mile (Trail 456). I could be wrong, though. I know I prefer single track over roads even that haven't seen motorized travel for years and try to pick routes that keep me on st, even if it means doubling back over a section I've ridden. That's the reason for my suggestion.

Insanity later
    Cheers guys. Yeah you're right. My idea looked like a lot of road (I got it from Cascadesingletracks.com). But I'm with ya. If I can avoid it, better still.

Thanks again. One last question: Any consensus on the quickest way from Portland to Bottle Prairie? Opinion seems split 50:50 between Govt Camp and Hood River. I usually park at bottom of Dog River or Surveyors so go via Hood River.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    From Portland I always go through HR, as does everyone else I know. Not sure who's opinion is split 50:50.

If you feel like more riding after the climb up from 15 mile (not sure it is possible) from the 15 mile campground ride the road up to the top of High Prairie trail then bomb down that all the way to your car. Best descent on Hood IMHO. Actually as I think about it, even if you don't want to do more, just do it. You won't be sorry.

Insanity later
    Good to know. My GPS and google maps say Govt Camp, so maybe it's a man vs machine thing. I'll trust you and go via HR.

I know that descent. Awesome! Just got to watch for bikers and bikers coming up trail in my experience. If the group I'm with have energy left, it's on fo'sho.

Insanity later
    We rode Fifteen Mile yesterday. Parked at 8 mile campground, rode up 8 mile and 450 to Fifteen Mile, down 457 up 456, then up the road to get the full High Prairie descent. Awesome!! Pretty damn dusty, but what do you expect?.... No smoke at all and only saw 2 other riders all day until we hit the 8 mile loop on the way home. Sh%t that climb out 456 has some steep pitches. Here's the GPS tracks for those who are interested. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 29 miles near The Dalles | Times and Records | Strava

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    We rode Fifteen Mile yesterday...Here's the GPS tracks for those who are interested. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 29 miles near The Dalles | Times and Records | Strava
    Great report! I'll keep a link to this one as a reference for this ride.