mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Riding in Breitenbush Detroit area

Heading to Breitenbush Detroit area in the next few days, for eclipse viewing. Lots of closures due to the fires. Any riding near by? Saw some stuff on Red Lake area, near Olallie Lake. Looks it's still open in the closure map. Hopefully favorable winds keep the smoke away.

Any suggestions?

May head down to Bend area later next week, but fires are impacting that area too. If not Bend any riding areas not on fire?

How smokey is Bend riding areas?

Anyone doing eclipse rides?

Thanks,

Jeff

Nat
    mtbr member
    It was smokey as hell in Bend last evening. Terrible. Moreover, traffic is a mess due to eclipse viewers. Gas stations sold out of fuel. Not a great time to visit.

Breitenbush and Olallie lake are right next to the Whitewater fire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Moreover, traffic is a mess due to eclipse viewers. Gas stations sold out of fuel. Not a great time to visit.
    Is that a prediction, or is it already happening? Haven't noticed any significant increase in traffic over here in the valley yet, and no gas shortages.

I'm just hoping all these people coming in for the eclipse don't burn down half the state. High fire danger, and tons of people from all over the place hunting for every last dispersed campsite available is not a good combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    is it already happening?
    Yes. My wife and I were talking about Nat's post on the drive in to work today, and she sent me that article soon after.

I'm just hoping all these people coming in for the eclipse don't burn down half the state.
    You mean the half that isn't already on fire, right?

I'm just hoping the roundabouts in Bend are ok and that everyone is signaling properly. Maybe someone should start up BendRoundabouts.org.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Oh, it's happening. Total mess.

See that plume of smoke? It's blowing right across Bend:
    Milli Fire threatening homes near Sisters; Evacuation warnings in place as fire grows to 3,000 acres

I heard that fuel trucks are planning to avoid any deliveries after Friday since they're expecting to hit gridlock.
    Long gas lines in C.O., some outages as eclipse approaches - KTVZ

The roundabouts are calm and cool compared to the surface streets. I'm going to park within one for safety.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Heard Prineville & area is insane on the ole radio. Traffic is backed up some 35 miles & took the npr journalist form 2:30 PM to 4:30 AM to reach his destination. The path of scrotality is upon us.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Have you guys seen this website? It gives a lot of info including fires and traffic:

https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Pub...6bf3485f4fd24f

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Have you guys seen this website? It gives a lot of info including fires and traffic:

https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Pub...6bf3485f4fd24f
    Cool site, thanks for posting. I saw the fire above Sisters glowing late Tuesday night as I was making my way back from a trip to Idaho.

Just heard a couple of gas stations in Albany are already out of gas with no plans for deliveries.

What a cluster. All for two minutes of darkness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeph View Post
    Heading to Breitenbush Detroit area in the next few days, for eclipse viewing. Lots of closures due to the fires. Any riding near by? Saw some stuff on Red Lake area, near Olallie Lake. Looks it's still open in the closure map. Hopefully favorable winds keep the smoke away.

Any suggestions?

May head down to Bend area later next week, but fires are impacting that area too. If not Bend any riding areas not on fire?

How smokey is Bend riding areas?

Anyone doing eclipse rides?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Jeff, I don't know of any trails in that immediate vicinity. Nothing showing on Trail Forks app either. Plenty of forest roads to spin the legs, but no singletrack really without a bit of driving. On a normal weekend, you could get over to McKenzie River Trail, but I don't know that I would recommend attempting that with predicted traffic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Would agree with that. This has got to be one of the most commercialized natural phenomenon ever. At least in Oregon's history. Comical.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Nat
    mtbr member

Yeah, it's not as if it doesn't get dark every evening. It's a cool phenomenon I guess but I sure wouldn't travel across the country or the world for it.

I recall experiencing the "once in a lifetime" eclipse back in 1979 when I was in elementary school. After it got dark then light again I remember thinking, "That's it???"

It's like a Black Friday pandemonium.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pretty much all the trails I'm aware of out of the Breitenbush area feed the PCT and/or Mt. Jefferson wilderness so no bikes allowed even if the fire situation did not have them closed. There used to be some singletrack just south of Mill City which is a bit west of Detroit. It's been about 15 years since I last rode there so don't know if they still exist.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Nat
    mtbr member
    Looking towards Phil's Trail this morning, it's all heavy smoke:

Riding in Breitenbush Detroit area-img_1191.jpg.jpg

mtbr member
    Some amazing riding is right near detroit. buy a detroit ranger map (download on avenza on your phone) and checkout the Old Cascade Crest loop which is currently clear and riding well. First time in decades I would guess. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/will...rea?recid=4319

Being used for both Trans-Cascadia this season as well as the Oregon Timber Trail.

Hundreds of hours have been poured into rehabing these old trails just this summer - and it's some of the most remote riding you will find in Oregon. It's raw trails with plenty of work for each peak you attain, and add the primo crescent mountain to this loop and you will be stoked.

There are other trails like bugaboo ridge, bachelor mountain, browder ridge, gate creek and the list goes on.

Huge work event this weekend working on the loop + crescent and brow/gate this weekend with OTT, TC, BendTrails, COTA, SATA and more. 50 people or so camping and working for the weekend.

Oregon Timber Trail - Hood Tier Stewardship Campout — Oregon Timber Trail

Have a good ride!

mtbr member
    The ongoing reopening of old trails is great.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    checkout the Old Cascade Crest loop which is currently clear and riding well. First time in decades I would guess.
    More info from the Dirt Magnet on his blog (choose Trails of Oregon and then Cascades and then start hitting things like Pyramids and Scar Mountain):
    https://dirtmagnet.wordpress.com

Patrick Means rode with the Dirt Magnet last year and posted this story:
    https://thetrailhouse.exposure.co/th...mids-of-oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    The ongoing reopening of old trails is great.

More info from the Dirt Magnet on his blog (choose Trails of Oregon and then Cascades and then start hitting things like Pyramids and Scar Mountain):
    https://dirtmagnet.wordpress.com

Patrick Means rode with the Dirt Magnet last year and posted this story:
    https://thetrailhouse.exposure.co/th...mids-of-oregon
    Yes! thanks for posting

Both these gents are amazing with words as well as photos. Coming this weekend tbmaddux?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Coming this weekend tbmaddux?
    Nah... bad back for no good reason (picking up, like, an onion, from a load of groceries a few days prior to the eclipse). If I'm feeling better I'll be at BRMBA Saturday and at the DoD event at Whypass on Sunday.

mtbr member
    I stumbled on to the Dirtmagnet link last summer. There are a lot under the radar backcountry rides listed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was just down there for the work party based out of Tule Lake. Get the Detroit Ranger map. There's several options:
    1) Cascade Crest Loop - Scar Mtn, Trappers, North Pyramid, Gordan Peak, Chimney Peak, South Pyramid Creek. Be aware that South Pyramid Peak trail is signed as closed to bikes for a few miles due to sensitive vegetation, so you can't make a full legal loop.
    2) Crescent Mtn
    3) Browder Ridge
    4) Coffin Mtn, Bugaboo

1, 2, and 3 are in great condition, freshly brushed and raked. Be aware that there's a large amount of climbing to enjoy amazing descents. North Pyramid is 1600' in 2.5 miles. North half of Crescent is 1600' in 3.5 miles.

But it's worth it.

Smoke was super bad yesterday in that area, like 1/4 mile visibility. It cleared up every night, so it changes hourly.

But trail condition-wise....probably the best that stuff has been in a few decades. Would not recommend going alone. It's a true backcountry experience. If you get in trouble, it may be weeks before someone finds you.

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Pretty much all the trails I'm aware of out of the Breitenbush area feed the PCT and/or Mt. Jefferson wilderness so no bikes allowed even if the fire situation did not have them closed. There used to be some singletrack just south of Mill City which is a bit west of Detroit. It's been about 15 years since I last rode there so don't know if they still exist.
    The trails you're thinking of are likely brushy at best. They do get ridden every so often, but it can be a year or more between uses. If you try them, take your adventure hat. And your handsaw. There is a somewhat new, frequently horsed up system a little further east near Gates, at the bottom of Monument Peak. It tends to be ok in the summer once the 4 legged excavators damage has dried out a bit. Even then, expect a lot of stair stepped climbs, pockmarked trails and horse crap everywhere. Although surprisingly, not THAT many horses.

Unless it's changed, the Breitenbush trail itself used to be open to bikes. But its short, and while fun, not enough to satisfy. The trails around Olallie like were fun back in the early 90s when we rode them...but pretty sure we rode things that weren't legal, as they weren't signed well, or sometimes at all, back then. The old guidebook '50 choice singletracks in the Willamette Valley' had a trail up on French Creek and also the Phantom Bridge trail. They were marginally rideable with 1994ish equipment, and didn't have enough promise for me to go back and try them since then. Not super near Detroit, but accessible is the trail that runs on the south side of the Little North Fork, heading West from three pools to the next road crossing, with the caveat being that I haven't been there n years and it WAS legal. Smoke permitting, there is also the Pyramid area that the Oregon Timber Trail crowd has been working on, the MRT, and the Cache mtn area, all reasonable drives from Detroit.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's a motorcycle.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyNate View Post
    I was just down there for the work party based out of Tule Lake. Get the Detroit Ranger map. There's several options:
    1) Cascade Crest Loop - Scar Mtn, Trappers, North Pyramid, Gordan Peak, Chimney Peak, South Pyramid Creek. Be aware that South Pyramid Peak trail is signed as closed to bikes for a few miles due to sensitive vegetation, so you can't make a full legal loop.
    2) Crescent Mtn
    3) Browder Ridge
    4) Coffin Mtn, Bugaboo

1, 2, and 3 are in great condition, freshly brushed and raked. Be aware that there's a large amount of climbing to enjoy amazing descents. North Pyramid is 1600' in 2.5 miles. North half of Crescent is 1600' in 3.5 miles.

But it's worth it.

Smoke was super bad yesterday in that area, like 1/4 mile visibility. It cleared up every night, so it changes hourly.

But trail condition-wise....probably the best that stuff has been in a few decades. Would not recommend going alone. It's a true backcountry experience. If you get in trouble, it may be weeks before someone finds you.
    I've hike a lot of those trails and always thought it would be awesome if they opened them up to bikes. Glad to hear the forest service has changed their ways and opened those up to mountain biking. Now they will finally get the proper maintenance they deserve and wont go years of being neglected. Really exciting stuff especially for me since I live in Sweet Home and all of this is in my backyard.

I'm excited to see what trails/loops they use for the Trans Cascadia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeseckb View Post
    I'm excited to see what trails/loops they use for the Trans Cascadia.
    If it's like the first two years there will be a lot of photos, some short videos, and not much specifics about names of trails they're riding. Definitely still possible to figure it out if you're familiar with the area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do they allow participants to use GPS devices? If so, I wonder if participants will be posting on strava or garmin connect....