mtbr member
    Mar 2004

riding Bend Singletrack from town?

I live in the east. I am slightly spoiled as I can ride about 30 miles of trail within the city limits - trail heads are literally a few minute roll from my front door.

Bigger stuff on weekends is bet a 30-90 drive depending on what I want to ride. Its amazing ad yes I'm spoiled.

Contemplating some things......Bend is on the list. On a visit, I rode a big 5-6 hr loop starting @ Phils trail and connecting a bunch of other stuff about 6 yrs ago (lava trail....some other trail I can't remember). But we drove to the trail head from downtown area. Is it possible to bike to the trail head anywhere IN town? If so, does this mean that I'd need to live on the west side?

How far of a bike commute is the west side from down town?

Lastly - can you ride year round in Bend? I know the higher trails are snowed in. I mean no disrespect, but I found the stuff on Phils a bit mellow and didn't know if anything semi-technical (not stupid big drops, just looking for some rocks! - I'm from the east remember?) would be open in winter.

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    West side to down town is about 30 seconds. Maybe a minute. Riding from town is not a problem. You can make it to Phils in about 10 minutes from most of downtown. From there you can link up any ride you want.
    rochesterbc.com Sick of the gym yet?

newfydog
    May 2009
    You can ride darn near year round, and a short drive will open all sorts of places to you. The west side of Bend is where bikers tend to live ...virtually every friend I have here lives on the west side. If you know your way around, you can ride from downtown to the trails without riding a single road.

Most of the trails are pretty much cruisers, but that is just the nature of the terrain. The rocks we have, and there are plenty in some places, are not the fun, ledgey type one finds in canyonlands, nor the slippery "baby heads" which New Hampshire riders know so well, they are sharp nasty volcanic rocks which slam your cranks, stop you abruptly, and you don't want to crash on them. Some people really get into them, though.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Bend is all of 7-8 miles across, so if you want to ride that distance from your house to the trail you could do it. Most "outdoor sports types" seem to live on the west side though. East side has more of the softball/lake fishing crowd.

I used to ride all through the winter, so it's possible, but I've since given in to winter sports (and there are several from which to choose).

As for rocks, I agree with newfydog that our rocks are stupid. Later in the summer the higher elevation trails open up and accesses high meadows and vistas, but it's mostly smooth singletrack with sporadic tech sections.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog
    ... they are sharp nasty volcanic rocks which slam your cranks, stop you abruptly, and you don't want to crash on them. Some people really get into them, though.
    I once fell on C.O.D. (I could not unclip in time) and landed knee first on a pointy volcanic rock. As Wally once said to the Beav, "Ow, that smarts!"

They sure can "stop you abruptly". Be sure to roll them with plenty of momentum.

it means 'no problem'
    Nice collection of rocks at Horse Ridge / Dry Canyon for winter technical riding, I've been riding there all winter. It's getting pretty dry out there now. Lava rock is sharp and sticky, go ride McKenzie River Trail for a taste of our rock. That's a drive, though.

I have single track right across my driveway. I can literally ride over 100 miles of single track from my door step.

Where in the East are you? I grew up in Philly and my parent's house was at the entrance of Fairmount Park, lots of good trail there I'm told. I moved away before getting into mtb-ing.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm in Virginia - ride the blue ridge and the mtns of west VA often.

We did a big day & rode MRT out and back when we were out there -super sweet trail! not really super rocky, but for sure super fun, amazing views, and beautiful falls never once got boring.

100 mi of single-dingle out your doorstep is sweet!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I too am contemplating Bend. I have ridden there before and really liked the trails I rode. I do like some more tight, technical riding and did not ride much of it when I was there. Will I be able to find a good deal of technical twisty singletrack,and if so which trails are they, where, and how far from the west side?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    East side has more of the softball/lake fishing crowd.
    Come on Nat....You're killin' me. Softball/lake fishing crowd? Try poop-scoopin', shot gun shootin' crowd. Rekin I best go clean my gun.

mtbr member
    Stop dissin my neighbors! Scooping pop does not go on over on the East side - we like to leave it laying around with our garbage for all the neighbors to see, it is tre chic!

From where I live it is 7.5 miles to Phil's Trailhead. But it is also the same time distance to the trails out east to ride in the winter. Short drive either way, but I am guessing with house prices now there is no need to hang out with me and and gun touting neighbors.

Yes, Phil's trails is mainly buff singletrack, but there are trails with rocks and even wood features. They are not the main routes that visitors seem to ride, but by locals who branch out and take advantage of the multitude of miles found right outside of town. And we have new trails going in by more progressive riders (all volunteer locals). Ride Funner or ODP for a taste.

But if you like the trails you have at home and don't think ours will make the cut, you might want to look in Colorado or Tahoe. We love our trails - cross country for days through beautiful country, sections of technical, different areas different months of the year. Works for many of us, but not for everyone. Good luck with your decision!!

Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    C.O.D. is about as rocky as its going to get on the lower end. You can ad the bit bellow the ledge if you start at the Tetherow sign off of century. Maybe 10 minute pedal from the westside, maybe a bit more. Actual Bend riding seems to be more 'spinny' than technical and steep. Its a good way to get super fit and put some serious miles on your legs, not to mention you don't have to ride the same trail twice in the same week if you don't want to!

mtbr member
    nowhere i have ridden in oregon/washington has had rocky technical riding of the mid atlantic- so if you love to ride that style terrain you may want to stick it out in virginia- if you like riding more miles on more varied terrain- and purpose built mountain bike trails- then bend is a great place to live- and within driving distance of so many other epic spots- it was a shock when i moved from pennsylvania and found out that the technical riding that i grew up doing wasnt going on here- but i cant name one town in the appalachian area that boasts hundreds of mile of legitimate mountain bike trails- and the coolest part about relocating is- if you get to bend and its not your scene- your already out west- and the possiblility to move on to another riding community will be that much easier- plus you can always go home and ride the rocks on holidays-
    Holy Cow----Why remove obstacles--when they can be ridden....