mtbr member
    Jan 2004

riding around Newport

Oregonians, I'm visiting my inlaws in Newport in last week of July and need some info on where to ride and fly fish. I'd like to stay within a 1 or 2 hour drive. It would nice to do a ride with good scenery and something not too remote since I'll be alone...and I need to rent a REAL bike somewhere. Climbing is fine but please don't kill me.

OT, but if you know a good fly fishing guide or shop I'd love to hear it too.

Thanks from Austin!

mtbr member

Check here:

New bike shop just opened: http://www.bikenewport.net/

Cheezy Rider
    Mary's Peak is about an hour from there. Good riding, but the climbing is pretty tough. The trailhead is kind of hard to find, but Googling will probably get you directions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Siltcoos Lake in Florence. About an hour south of Newport. Short (4.5 miles) but fun loop. Check with the local bike shop in Newport. They will steer you in the right direction.

mtbr member

Cummins Creek

Cummins Creek at Cape Perpetua thats the E ticket 30-45 min south of Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by chick n da woods
    Siltcoos Lake in Florence. About an hour south of Newport. Short (4.5 miles) but fun loop. Check with the local bike shop in Newport. They will steer you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Hello Jollybeggar, I have heard of that trail. Does it start at the Cape Perpetula Visitors Center? FR55 up 4 miles on gravel road to parking lot then Cooks Ridge Trail head? Is it a loop or can it be done with out the gravel road climb as an out and back?

mtbr member
    I live about 30 miles west of Newport. There are many many places for you to ride. A lot depends on what you want to do. Most is steep climbing. Mary's Peak is good. There is a way to take a dirt road (Woods Creek road highway 20, 5 miles west of Philomath) almost entirely then take the trail down. It really is one of the the best rides you will find. It is a bit of a drive from Newport as highway 20 is under construction most of the summer. You can find thousands of miles of logging roads east of Newport. Most of the property is BLM, Forest Service, or one of the big timber companies. Most will allow non-motorized access as long as you are cool. You could go to the Blodgett/Harlan area. There is a pretty major race in the area each year called the Mudslinger. Stop at the store in Blodgett and ask. They will tell you a good place to ride. Hope you have a good time!

mtbr member
    Sorry, forgot about the fishing. Tons of that also. You could check you any fishing shop in Newport (Bittle Bros, Harry's, Bimart to name a few). You have many streams and rivers. Get an oregon fishing guide when you get your fishing permit. Some of the best offshore charter fishing in the world is in Newport you may want to check out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonXC
    I live about 30 miles west of Newport.
    Do you live on a boat or something?

mtbr member
    oops, i mean west!

mtbr member

Yup!

I think your on track, the trick is hitting the right turn on the way down. From the parking lot at the top of the road you head down Cummins Creek toward the Cook's Ridge trail (right) but don't take it (closed to MTBs) keep on straight now your on the Cummins Creek trail, about a 1/8 mile on one of the left turns in the trail (watch close) the Cummins Creek Loop (Root) trail branches off to the right of the Cummins Creek (Rock) trail, its hard to find.

It can be done as a loop if you go in from Hwy101 and the lower Cummins Creek trailhead. As you ride in you'll see a trail (lower end of Cummins Creek Loop) branch off to the left, stay right, the first part of this trail is smooth wide double track but it turns into a steep climb up a loose rock, again going in this way the branch to the Cummins Creek Loop trail can be hard to find but it'll be on your left after steep climb.

The best way to ride this trail the first time is with a local, there is a lot of stuff you probable won't find on your own.

Happy Trail
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by chick n da woods
    Hello Jollybeggar, I have heard of that trail. Does it start at the Cape Perpetula Visitors Center? FR55 up 4 miles on gravel road to parking lot then Cooks Ridge Trail head? Is it a loop or can it be done with out the gravel road climb as an out and back?