mtbr member
    Aug 2005

riding around Bend, what's best

Hey guys, I've just moved here to Bend and am looking to get a mountain bike. Having never been cycling out in this part of the country, I'm not real sure what kind of bike I should be looking for. I found one bike shop website and they answered the question with: any mtn. bike at all.

What seems to be the most popular type of bike on the local trails? A lot of 29ers, a lot of lightweight XC hardtails, or more all-mountain/freeride type rigs. Just trying to get a feel for what will work best for me up here. So far I've been debating a 29er, a HT like the Rocky Mtn. Hammer or GF X-Caliber, or a 26" full suspension like a C'dale Rush or Giant Trance X. Dont want to spend more than about $1500.

Otherwise I have a local trail map, and was planning on starting out at Phil's trail. What are the other ones I should know of? Also, I keep seeing the acronym MRT and some others on here that I can't figure out. Finally, as it's already snowy outside, I'm guessing you can't really ride in the snow? How long do most people put their bikes up for in the winter?

I know there vague questions that could vary quite a bit, but just looking for a general idea. thanks a lot

mtbr member
    The snow should go away for another month or so. I think XC or all-mountain are better for here since there's some freeride stuff, but not that much. There's winter riding east and north of town so you don't ever have to stop riding completely.

Phil's is great, but the stuff higher up is the best. It should be rideable for a few more weeks.

Oh, and the MRT is the McKenzie River Trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fifteen hundred bucks? Bend?

29er hardtail.

Or maybe a short travel full suspension 29er that's a "left over" 2009 or demo model.

MRT = Mackenzie River Trail. If you're completely new to mtb riding, start at the bottom and ride up and back. Save the upper portions for next season.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    29er HT or short-travel FS is well-suited for 90% of the riding in this part of the state. At $1500 I'll agree with kosmo and opt for the 29er HT.

Phil's triangle has enough to keep you busy for the rest of the season, but MRT is good too (at least once). Like the mtbr poster Oregon said, the higher stuff is best. Metolius/Windigo, Flagline, Bachelor-Lava-Edison, etc. would be included and should be on your map.

Although I'm yet to be overwhelmed by it, a lot of folks will suggest Oakridge.

Sisters has a nice trail network referred to as Peterson Ridge.

There used to be trail map called Central OR part II: Outlying areas that shows the Ochocos near Prineville, Paulina crater, some other stuff.

See: http://cotamtb.com/

it means 'no problem'
    Sign up for the Bend's Big Fat Tour, this Oct. 16 - 18. Do the Recreational ride, it is a good taste of all that Bend offers for trails, plus you'll get to meet many local and out-of-town mountain bikers.

$1500 should get you a pretty nice 29 HT. Good luck. Check out all the shops, each one is different and all offer good service and customer support.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Keep Singletrack Single
    My 2 cents on the best bike shop in Bend... Go to WebCyclery. Especially if you are considering 29er. Great shop, very knowledgeable, and not pushy. Good luck!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I did stop by WebCyclery, got some good information from talking to one of their employees, but way out of my price range. Their cheapest 29"er hardtail was almost $1800.

None of the local bike shops I went to really had what I was looking for, so ended up ordering a bike from the classifieds on here. Ordered an '09 Rocky Mtn. Hammer, I liked the idea of a 29" steel frame combination.

Thanks for the information all, look forward to seeing some of you locals on the trails. I also heard about the cyclocross nationals that are held here, and sounds like a good time. Definitely going to check that out as a spectator,