mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Riding around Bend, 2nd week of April

Hi all,

I am casting about trying to find a spot to ride for a two or three day trip, driving from the Seattle area. I was wondering which trails around Bend are historically in good shape by that time. I'm all right with staying down low enough to avoid mud/snow but want enough mileage in the XC realm to not have to duplicate rides. I'm ok with climbing but my son is a novice who is getting soft due to sitting around too much doing school work and video games instead of school work and riding. It's his final spring break from high school and I'm looking for moderate XC stuff for his benefit. I am considering Sunriver as the place to stay but will consider other alternatives to be closer to riding and not have to break out the car to do it. Would using Cogs Wild be a good idea and use them as a guided ride from the west back down to town or Sunriver?

Thanks, any and all input happily considered!
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Plenty of Options you can look these up online at COTAMTB or ORMTB:

Horse Ridge. About 15 miles of of trail. Plenty of climbing, good views. Quite technical in many sections.

Maston/Cline Butte: About 20 miles of trails. Lots of new trails as of the last few weeks. Fairly flat terrain unless you add cline butte to the mix. Good views of Deschutes canyon on the new trails. Otherwide not very scenic unless you climb Cline Butte.

Horse Butte: 15-20 miles of trails. Views for miles. Not much vertical here. Fairly flat rolling terrain, but not as flat as maston.

Smith Rock/Grey Butte: Can't beat Smith rock for views. But ride early to avoid the foot traffic. There is a new trail on the back side of Smith which connects up to the connector over to grey butte. Overall about 20 miles of trails here. Lots of vertical on the back side of Smith and Grey Butte is pretty much all climbing.

Radlands in Redmond. I've done a little trail work there, but have not ridden. Guessing 10-15 miles of trails? More interesting terrain than Maston from what I saw.

Note also that there are trail work parties in the coming weeks on the Phil's area trails. Which hopefully will have those opening some time next month. Keep checking Facebook page for Phil's to find out when they open.

Cog Wild may provide tours this early - but you would have to check. I am sure they could work out something for you.

Cheers.

Joe

Afric Pepperbird
    In addition to those above, and weather permitting, I'd ride Peterson Ridge in Sisters, which is a blast, or the Deschutes River Trail starting from Phil's TH and riding to Sunriver and back.

mtbr member
    DRS - Hi there! Pretty sure we talked on the phone... Yes, there are many options to ride during our winter, which does still include April in the High Desert, but please keep in mind that many of them have limited maps and routes that can be easy to find if you are not familiar with the trails. Also, thanks to our random weather, one area might not be the best place to ride on a specific day while another not so close area is where you should be going.
    If you choose to ride without us, please go to any local bike shop for advice and a map. But note, we would love to take you riding and make sure you spend your time actually riding and having a great time!
    Cheers!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!